Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What does YOUR Name Mean? 

Post Re: What does YOUR Name Mean?
I meant itas a joke, but indeed, son of, or the youngerworks better... ;)

System view Leido Crossroads: page 123

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

Krulle wrote:
I meant itas a joke, but indeed, son of, or the youngerworks better... ;)

lol.. oh sorry.. hard to give a 'sense' of tone in a post...to be certain.. I did take it as a joke! :)

I only mentioned it in passing to my father and he apparently thought about it a few days and took it to heart.. just yesterday bringing the idea up with me again {snicker}.

[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I did not take your reply as anything other than a simple reply. Good we're on the same side then.

Good your father had a good reply, though!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm

HedAurabesh wrote:
In my case it is:
  1. Son of Mars / Soldier / Warrior
  2. House + Mighty/Lord
  3. Determination + Helmet or "equipped with"
  4. Tailor or Beer/Wine Transporter

So, to be poetic and a bit liberal about it (like our dear friend Alex is):
The lord of the house, a mighty warrior, armored with determination, bringer of good wine and mead.

All lies and slander, as usual. :D

You mean: The wrecker of house with bravery from bottle? ;)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

bunnyboy wrote:
HedAurabesh wrote:
So, to be poetic and a bit liberal about it (like our dear friend Alex is):
The lord of the house, a mighty warrior, armored with determination, bringer of good wine and mead.

All lies and slander, as usual. :D

You mean: The wrecker of house with bravery from bottle? ;)

What is to most a drunkard, is to a select few their best patron. :lol:

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am

So, you are guard of legendary weapon. That is awesome.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:18 pm

jamesjohn wrote:
My first name is Greek for "defender\preserver"
Middle name Greek roots too - "honorable\respectable\highly esteemed".
Surname is Slavic for "greatclub".

Took me second...
At first i think "cool! someone have exact same name as me!" but it's just bot copy-paste my previous post! :roll:

Chekist_Felix wrote:
My first name is Greek for "defender\preserver"
Middle name Greek roots too - "honorable\respectable\highly esteemed".
Surname is Slavic for "greatclub".

"Honorable guardian of Greatclub"? Maybe "Keeper of respectable greatclub"? :lol:

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 am
Site Admin

Funny... the bots usually choose old posts in dead threads to copy.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 am
Profile WWW

Well, after about... oh, ten years' worth of lurking on this forum, I finally decided to make an account just to post here. (And I'll probably not post again for another ten years. :P )

First things first -- Arioch, I've been enjoying your work for the past ten years. I'm excited to see where the story goes from here!

Now, to this thread, here's the meaning behind my name:

First name: Talitha means "little girl" in Aramaic
Middle name: Alison means "kind, noble" in English (which is the diminutive form of Alice in French; Alice is the short form of Adelis -- also in French -- which is the short form of Adalheidis in German. Adalheidis is composed of adal -- "noble" -- and heid -- "kind, sort, type")
Last name: Chumley is a phonetic variant spelling of the name Cholmondeley, which comes from Old English name Ceolmund and leah; it means "woodland clearing"

So, my spoken/written name means "kind and noble little girl from the woodland clearing."

As an added bonus, I speak American Sign Language as my native language and therefore I have a signed name in that language. My signed name is created by combing the handshape for the letter T with the sign for HAPPY; my signed name means "happy."

If you combine my spoken/written name with my signed name, it means "kind, noble, and happy little girl from the woodland clearing."

Now that this fun little exercise is done with, I'm going back to lurking. Nice to meet you guys! :)

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Well, hello, lovely little girl, that's apparently happy and kind!

That's a wonderful reason to sign up and post!
Thank you for sharing!
Watermist as handle also fits a girl from a woodland clearing.

I hope it won't take you another 10 years to find something to post here on.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am

Ironically your signed name is the closest equivalent we have to a spoken Loroi name on this forum.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Watermist!

Watermist wrote:
So, my spoken/written name means "kind and noble little girl from the woodland clearing."

If you combine my spoken/written name with my signed name, it means "kind, noble, and happy little girl from the woodland clearing."

I second Krulle and Jericho, and add to it that, combined with your handle, your name could very well be that of a Loroi doranzer (doctor) or listel (science officer): "My spoken name means "Watermist", while my full sanzai name means "kind, noble, and happy little girl from the woodland clearing"".

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Freeman what lives in the wood and works down mill, second of that ilk

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

I'm cheating, because I specifically changed my name to this after intensive research, but here goes:

Ferdinand Roslyn. Peaceful Journey[er]? [of the] Rose Valley/Meadow.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm
Site Admin

How Visigothic of you.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

Stone Honest Freeman Steadfast

Or if you prefer poetic license, Immovable stone of truth and freedom.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:41 am

Unharmed stick.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:04 am

Seizing born of fire wreath.

So complete nonsense then.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Wealthy, courageous king
Warrior prince
Infamous warrior

So, all together, I suppose my name would mean "wealthy, brave, and infamous warrior-king".

If the Treaty of Versailles hadn't banned titles of nobility to Germans, I would be entitled to add "of wrath" or "wrathful" after my name. We, uh, earned that name in the Middle Ages when an ancestor earned the position of baron by going berserk on the French and singlehandedly wrecking a dozen men and driving off the French army. Centuries later, the then-current baron's second and third sons decided to make their way to America and make their fortune there, and this is the line I'm descended from.

As far as the surname and surname/title, there are multiples towns/regions named after us across Europe and North America. Usually because we made an impression on the locals, via making an impression on someone's skull with a mace. I'm literally the first male in 300 years not to serve in the military, and we've fought in every American war up to the Gulf War (family members were active service members at the time, but never saw combat), so my name is rather fitting, all things considered.

Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Seeing that this is your first post, welcome to the forum, Swindle.

That is quite an impressive history and indeed something to be proud of, if you can trace your ancestry all the way back to the Middle Ages. I can't trace mine beyond my great grandparents and it's nothing too glamorous, they were what we would call today average people.

As far as the point of the thread - the Loroi would certainly be impressed, but would point out, that you have some BIG shoes to fill and you're not doing too good of a job :lol:

Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 pm

I can trace my ancestry back for 700 years (one branch I can only go back ~300 years), and for nearly every one of those ancestors I have dates of birth, marriage, and death, profession, place of residence, etc. We kept very good records, mostly written into various iterations of the family Bible, although we did have to look up official records for a few we didn't have much detail for.

We have an English primer that was used to homeschool multiple generations of the family. It's old enough that among the random bookmarks inserted between the pages (including locks of hair, pressed flowers, newspaper clippings, etc.) is a Confederate $20 bill, hand signed by the treasurer.

As for living up to the name... I never joined the military, but I would think a career in law enforcement would be close enough to satisfy.

Tue May 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Indeed, welcome Swindle.

We don't have extensive records, but sufficient to show a lineage to day-labourers around 1650, when our family took its name we still carry today.
The exact date is not that clear, since we were day-labourers, and as such likely illiterate.
Records just show when and where payments were made, and those came naturally from different farms/estates, and the records belong to those farms/estates.
It is already uncommon to be able to trace the family name back to a low society rank like that, and that far backwards.

My mother's family name we tracked back to the eviction of the Huguenots from La Hague during the Thrity Years' War (and a record of the city recording the arrival in Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle of our particular ancestor with his thirteen sons (daughters were not recorded, in none of the records of the Huguenot families which arrived in Aachen)). The Family names all derived from La Hague: "Delahaye", "Lahaye", "Lahay", "Lahey", ...; different sons took different spelling forms. Still plenty of those names in Aachen.

"La Hague" should not to be mistaken for "The Hague" (French: "La Haye"), which is a town in The Netherlands. La Hague is a region in northern France (Normandie), the village itself may have been unnamed (Oral family history says the village's name was "La Hague", but so far I found no record of such a village having existed), but was destroyed during that Thirty Years' War, which resulted in the expulsion of the Huguenots from that region.

Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am

Well, let me join the fun here...

First name, essentially: gift of God (originally Hebrew, but well-established in Christina tradition)
Second name: one to create glory / fame (Slavic)
Family name: of the cherry tree settlement (Adjective form, if interpreted literally, though historically this form used to indicate noble family's seat of power. Doesn't precise whether it was village, town or city... Slavic again, and hugely popular around here).

Which would translate into Loroi as "God-given bringer of glory of the cherry tree village". I guess would be considered passable by the Loroi, though the direct reference to a deity in the very beginning of one's name might raise a few eyebrows.
I guess on the second look the Loroi would say that such a name means my family put quite a lot of hope in me, and the wonder how do I plan to live up to it... :P

Last edited by Errhile on Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 am

My name literally means "Owner of the world". And both my first name and middle name are the same as our fabulous President. Therefore, everyone I've met in the last 19 years considers their duty to call me Mr. President. And everyone thought they'd come up with a new smart joke. :)

Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 am

By "middle name" do you mean otchestvo?

I guess Loroi would understand the concept of patronymic (or rather, in their case, matronymic) - as a part of one's name - pretty well, even if they do not seem to practise it themselves. Nb. to my knowledge, patronymic and matronymic surnames are pretty popular in Scandinavia, and basically the way things are in Iceland.

I'm not sure they would see translating one necessary...

Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next