Pages 114, 115, 116

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dirty Yasuki

Re: Pages 114, 115, 116

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

3 updates in one go?!

Has Cancer and AIDS finally been cured? :o

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Hi there - I'm new in the forum, but have been following Outsider for a while now.

Is it me, or does Beryl look a tiny bit annoyed c.q. jealous?

~Z~

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Possibly, but Tennoin Arrir Nesin is not letting go of his hand either.
But then, Alexander should break the contact, as it is his custom being done, and the Tennoin does not know the custom or customary lengths of it.

Edit: I find the last image a bit... weird from perspective. For Alexander's hand and her hand to be across her chest, Alexander must've jumped sides of the shuttle (you can still see a pilot chair in the background, so she's still on the starboard side of the gangway), and is now standing also on the starboard side between Talon and Beryl...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

AWESOME!!!! :)

On 114... it was clear Alex was attempting to pull back his hand, probably cause he did not want to offend or make the Lorio pilot too uncomfortable. Its a little different human-wise to shake hands with a woman. It is typically accepted that when shaking hands with a man a longer grip is acceptable... than with a woman as it 'seems' as a male you might be being too forward. Touch is also very intimate for humans and too much intimacy with a stranger or equal professional woman... might be taken as inappropriate contact.

BUT, too Note... Tallon quickly recovered and eagerly reached out to take his hand with both of hers!

On earth that would be very... in fact too forward for a male to do so with a woman he was shaking hands with.. but a woman doing so would hint at an interest beyond 'mere greetings'! :)
Last edited by sunphoenix on Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

I spilt tea on myself. 3 pages... that sorcery is this?!
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

thicket

Post by thicket »

well....I don't think "holding hands" is part of the Loroi mating ritual because Beryl would probably be more shocked? but it has been referenced that they do not generally touch each other

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

In a word? Awkward! :lol:

It does seem like an awful long time to hold hands after shaking, but it does seem that Alex looks rather embarrassed through most of the encounter. (I know if I had been deprived of real food for so long I'd have a major headache, not to mention what all the jumps would do.)

I can imagine word of the handshake greeting getting around and then he'd have to shake hands constantly with everyone all the time, even after only a short absence. But maybe that is the job of an interstellar diplomat.

Fireblade might simply put up with Enzin's formalities and lack of formalities, but it's nice to see that some of the other Loroi appreciate Alex's attempts. Talon actually seems pleased about being friends.

Also, I half imagine that Talon telepathically woke Beryl up from her nap with some variation on: "Hey, you gotta check this out, you won't believe it." :P

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Ok people, I have a new game for you: It is called What is Beryl Feeling? - it's a very simple game, we simply have to guess what our dear Tozet Beryl is feeling as of the end of page 116!

For your reference, the page itself:
SpoilerShow
So far, this are my guesses as to what she's feeling:
SpoilerShow
Or alternatively:
SpoilerShow

Starting at second 56, with the following lyric corrections:
"Too young, too dumb to realize
That I should have bought you
Flowers and held your hand
Should've give you all my hours
When I had the chance
Take you to every party computer terminal
Cause all you wanted to do was dance read astrographical maps
Now my baby is dancing reading,
But she's dancing reading astrographical maps
With another man Loroi..."
Joking aside, I do like and agree with what Icekatze said above. Would be very amusing if everyone wanted to shake hands with Alex - or should I say Enzin? - from now on.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Just noticed:
Talon says "Humanity" in the last panel... (not the usualy "Humaniti" I remember from the other Loroi, but that may be due to the aamount of solons between each update, which made me possibly forget that Beryl may have been successful in (telepathically) instructing the other Loroi in the pronounciation of "Humanity".)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

I just noticed that Talon apparently misunderstood him. He said, she could call him "Ensign", which she apparently understood as "Enzin"? Does she think that is his name?

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Arent wrote:I just noticed that Talon apparently misunderstood him. He said, she could call him "Ensign", which she apparently understood as "Enzin"? Does she think that is his name?
It was explained before that ensign was his rank, I would think Beryl would have spread that around. Enzin is probably an accent thing. You'll note that she is not as eloquent as Beryl or our favorite diplomatic officer. You'll also notice the one flying the shuttle is less eloquent.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

NuclearIceCream wrote:
Arent wrote:I just noticed that Talon apparently misunderstood him. He said, she could call him "Ensign", which she apparently understood as "Enzin"? Does she think that is his name?
It was explained before that ensign was his rank, I would think Beryl would have spread that around. Enzin is probably an accent thing. You'll note that she is not as eloquent as Beryl or our favorite diplomatic officer. You'll also notice the one flying the shuttle is less eloquent.
Beryl also informed them that Alex's name means "Garden Guardian", which in Trade is Ristan Enzin.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

subtext looks a lot like:

Talon: "Ha! I got to touch him first!"

Beryl: "WTF he didn't greet me like that... :evil: "

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Overkill Engine wrote:subtext looks a lot like:

Talon: "Ha! I got to touch him first!"

Beryl: "WTF he didn't greet me like that... :evil: "
He could always teach her about hugging instead. :P

That, or the ages-old human tradition of the "Surprise noogie delivered to someone you like."

Which could only explode catastrophically!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

What?! Three updates at once? Has christmas come early this year? :shock:
Anyway, what Alex feels on page 115 (or what he feels not) is very interesting and yes, Beryl looks rather annoyed on that page.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Quazel

Post by Quazel »

I thought perhaps I had slipped into a coma and this was Memorial Day 2018.

All ribbing aside though, great updates! Thanks!
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

I'd forgotten that Arioch zerg-rushes.
GabrielGABFonseca wrote:Ok people, I have a new game for you: It is called What is Beryl Feeling? - it's a very simple game, we simply have to guess what our dear Tozet Beryl is feeling as of the end of page 116!
"You scum-sucking poacher". And Overkill's right, Talon is totally gloating.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:He could always teach her about hugging instead. :P

That, or the ages-old human tradition of the "Surprise noogie delivered to someone you like."

Which could only explode catastrophically!
And that's why it'll be widely acknowledged as Jardin's fault when he does it to Fireblade.

Edited in:
Arioch wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote:It was explained before that ensign was his rank, I would think Beryl would have spread that around. Enzin is probably an accent thing. You'll note that she is not as eloquent as Beryl or our favorite diplomatic officer. You'll also notice the one flying the shuttle is less eloquent.
Beryl also informed them that Alex's name means "Garden Guardian", which in Trade is Ristan Enzin.
Everyone, cancel the accidental-innuendo alert, "Enzin" means guardian, not garden.
thicket wrote:well....I don't think "holding hands" is part of the Loroi mating ritual because Beryl would probably be more shocked? but it has been referenced that they do not generally touch each other
Beryl grew up on a different world, so she actually wouldn't know if it was part of the ritual where Talon & Spiral came from without being told by someone else.

Shadowy Wanderer

Post by Shadowy Wanderer »

Beryl defiantly has the suspicious/jealous girlfriend look when she walks in on them. :)
Great possibility for humorous misunderstandings in the future.

IRL comes first Arioch, but your updates are always a pleaser to read. Keep up the good work.

Excellion

Post by Excellion »

Arioch wrote:Beryl also informed them that Alex's name means "Garden Guardian", which in Trade is Ristan Enzin.
Are the various Loroi actively aware of the distinction between "Enzin" and "Ensign" or is there some mix-up going on here? Based on Talon's reaction on page 115 it seems we got the equivalent of:

- "And this Is Mr. Jardin, The ambassador of Humanity"
- "Please, no need to be so formal, just call me Alex".

In other words, it seems she misunderstands the military rank Alex mentioned ("Ensign") for a request to call him by part of his trade-translated name ("Enzin").