Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Post by bunnyboy »

And there is this.
Go read the comic.

Maybe Arioch and David could borrow models and textures to each other to make comic faster. Or even better, make a crossover! :)
Supporter of forum RPG

LegioCI

Post by LegioCI »

Actually, using areas of a ship that aren't battle-critical is a pretty good idea. (The amount of material that you can cram into those areas will still give you a slightly better bang for your space, though.) I think we could take this idea further, and all critical areas and battle stations and surround them with non-critical areas; on larger ships you might even set it up so each individual action station has it's own designated R&R area, power/ammunition supply and life support. This would mean that in the case of a surprise battle, crew would be more likely to be closer to their stations, as well as creating natural fire/decompression breaks. It has the added benefit of making this hypothetical terran ship extremely difficult to completely killed. The ship might be a complete write-off at the end of the battle, but chances would be there would still be weapons firing.

Adding this to my previous point; the less spacious each individual room is, the more you can segment the ship in this way and the less likely any single shot would be to completely cripple the ship.

I can't imagine the look on the bug's faces as they seemingly destroy a terran ship, only to find out as they come closer that it's still perfectly able to return fire. (I believe there would be many Cht-Cht-Cht's involved)
"But notice how the Human thinks. 'Interesting... how can I use this as a weapon?'" - Arioch

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

LegioCI wrote:I can't imagine the look on the bug's faces as they seemingly destroy a terran ship, only to find out as they come closer that it's still perfectly able to return fire.
Someone knows that strategy already and knows how to prevent it.
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider012.html :(
Supporter of forum RPG

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

LegioCI wrote:It has the added benefit of making this hypothetical Terran ship extremely difficult to completely killed. The ship might be a complete write-off at the end of the battle, but chances would be there would still be weapons firing.
i dont know were but i think i already heard of something like that. They would shoot the ship against and again, making him into Swiss cheese, and he would still fight back, with a few second for transferring control to the next "live cell"

It would be like "return of the living dead 2" but with space ship!

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

LegioCI wrote:Adding this to my previous point; the less spacious each individual room is, the more you can segment the ship in this way and the less likely any single shot would be to completely cripple the ship.
The less spacious a room is, the faster it decompresses through a given leak, or becomes contaminated to unsurvivable levels by smoke, CO2, or other toxins. The less spacious a room is, the sooner pressure reaches lethal or hull-breaching levels if there's explosions or gas releases, and the less room there is for the blast from a hit to expand before it intersects nearby parts of the ship.

Eliminating open spaces also increases the amount of equipment likely to get damaged by a given hit, increases the damage likely to be done by secondary explosions, and impairs the ability of damage control crews to repair and replace critical equipment. It's a complex optimization problem, the answer's not as simple as just minimizing volume.

junk

Post by junk »

Mjolnir wrote:
LegioCI wrote:Adding this to my previous point; the less spacious each individual room is, the more you can segment the ship in this way and the less likely any single shot would be to completely cripple the ship.
The less spacious a room is, the faster it decompresses through a given leak, or becomes contaminated to unsurvivable levels by smoke, CO2, or other toxins. The less spacious a room is, the sooner pressure reaches lethal or hull-breaching levels if there's explosions or gas releases, and the less room there is for the blast from a hit to expand before it intersects nearby parts of the ship.

Eliminating open spaces also increases the amount of equipment likely to get damaged by a given hit, increases the damage likely to be done by secondary explosions, and impairs the ability of damage control crews to repair and replace critical equipment. It's a complex optimization problem, the answer's not as simple as just minimizing volume.
Sure but at the same time it requires more filtration, more gear to maintain and who knows what else. That is working from the premise that we're talking about "open" areas that are pressured with breathable air and not with inert gases or pure vacuum.

Likewise having multiple smaller cells allows you to more easily manage a crisis, since it's easier to cut off.

Also the smaller size ads the benefit of needed less power when idling, less area to heat up or cool down, crew needing less time to transfer from one area of a ship to another and makes the ship cheaper as well. Since I'd say bigger bulkheads would be cheaper than all the extra filtration lightning and similar. That's talking about two ships the same size - one being spacious the other not. The difference probably get's even more severe once the spacious ship gets substantially bigger.

To be honest, I had the impression the size of Loroi ships is due to their telepathy and touch issues. Which humans don't have.

LegioCI

Post by LegioCI »

Actually, putting out a fire or getting rid of noxious gasses in space is a surprisingly simple affair: Close the doors to other, unaffected rooms and vent it into space. (Or if you want to waste as little atmosphere as possible, flooding the area with a non-reactive gas like Helium or Argon.) Assuming the various rooms and hallways each have their own firebreaks, having a single large room means that more of a given ship would be exposed to fire, as well as allowing the fire and smoke to spread more quickly due to a lack of obstacles. Additionally, an uncontrollable fire that is properly sequestered will spread very slow, since it's only way to spread is by heating the external walls so that flammable materials in the next room begin to combust due to radiated heat.
"But notice how the Human thinks. 'Interesting... how can I use this as a weapon?'" - Arioch

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

LegioCI wrote:Actually, putting out a fire or getting rid of noxious gasses in space is a surprisingly simple affair: Close the doors to other, unaffected rooms and vent it into space. (Or if you want to waste as little atmosphere as possible, flooding the area with a non-reactive gas like Helium or Argon.) Assuming the various rooms and hallways each have their own firebreaks, having a single large room means that more of a given ship would be exposed to fire, as well as allowing the fire and smoke to spread more quickly due to a lack of obstacles. Additionally, an uncontrollable fire that is properly sequestered will spread very slow, since it's only way to spread is by heating the external walls so that flammable materials in the next room begin to combust due to radiated heat.
I agree with the idea large vs small spaces argument here and Mjolnir point is corrects that it is really hard balance to maintain; yet their would be spaces where you might be forces to have one or the other.

LARGE Areas:
-engineering: give the size of propulsion planets this room could be very large to allow access to the engines or other vital systems ( such as fuel delivery systems, main life support)
-CIC or other combat areas: granted, you would want these areas to be small in order to avoid being hit. yet, this is the a major area and would need alot of systems (terminals for different function of the ship, IE sensors, targeting weapon stations etc), armour ( to protect the crew) and vital systems ( back-up life support systems)
-stores: for large items but could be large for smaller items ( given how much supplies needed for a crew)
-hanger: no-brainer: shuttle, fighters, transports are BIG, plus they need their support equipment
-weapon placements and support areas: given, these areas would be occupied with the weapons ( plus mounts, support, supply and power) yet they would need access to all their functions
-main life support: big crew need big life support.
-main mess area: could double as recreation and serving area

SMALL:
-crew quarters: maybe these would be small to limit space, but their would/might be claustrophobic issues.
-access ways: another no-brainer, but full access to ship will be needed for: evacuation, small internal repairs,
-equipment bays: limited access but still needed
-toilets/bathrooms: just saying, its needed :?
-small weapon bays: smaller weapons: point defence, small missile launchers or probes.

granted not an extensive list, but hopefully I've main a point ( since I don;t get allot of responses :cry: )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

junk

Post by junk »

To be honest there's no reason to have engineering be one massive room with access to everything. If you ask me, a decentralised structure, with access areas for maintenance and repairs would be more sound in a sense.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

bunnyboy wrote:Go read the comic.
Crimson Dark. I like their sarcasm. "Kari, i said ´soft targets´!" - "Thrusters are soft." - "DESTROYERS AREN`T!!"
Pure gold. :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Trantor wrote:
Crimson Dark. I like their sarcasm. "Kari, i said ´soft targets´!" - "Thrusters are soft." - "DESTROYERS AREN`T!!"
That comic looms in the uncanny valley for me, can't stand reading it because of that.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ktrain wrote:
Trantor wrote:Crimson Dark. I like their sarcasm. "Kari, i said ´soft targets´!" - "Thrusters are soft." - "DESTROYERS AREN`T!!"
That comic looms in the uncanny valley for me, can't stand reading it because of that.
Um, can´t quite follow here: Do you mean the artwork, or it´s grim humor?
sapere aude.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

The CGI people look human but not human, so it just strains my eyes and nerves.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ktrain wrote:The CGI people look human but not human, so it just strains my eyes and nerves.
Thx for clarification. I got used to it over the years.
sapere aude.

junk

Post by junk »

Ktrain wrote:The CGI people look human but not human, so it just strains my eyes and nerves.
The problem with the comic is that it looks like it's made in poser. There's just something about poser models that makes them look ugly if you ask me.

Not sure if it's the rendering system or the materials themselves but it's there.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Trantor wrote:
You forgot the best part

Vaegyr: Kari, i said ´soft targets
Kari: THrusters are soft
Vaegyr: Destroyers aren't!
Kari: Captain, That's the Helikaon, The destroyer that killed Niobe (their previous ship)
Vaegy: oh... okay then... fire away.

I really like the design of their ship.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Karst45 wrote:I really like the design of their ship.
Custom build private luxury ship of syndicate-pirate-mafioso.
Yeah, they can afford little style.

Edit:
Oh.
Last edited by bunnyboy on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

i was referring on a larger scale not just the ship they "burrowed"

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

ah, good to know that even in the future pirates still " trade up" their ships, some things never change
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Post by 088 »

I have returned!! with content!! not anywhere near as good as DevilDalek's but i think it would make a decent light cruiser.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
hope you enjoy my humble works! :D