WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arent

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Arent »

boldilocks wrote:
Arent wrote:So, Alex is apparently cold. He obviously needs to be warmed up. Which might lead to him seeing fireblade and maybe others.

Maybe Beryl acts more like a link/amplifier that allows Alex to tap into the abilities of the loroi.
More likely Fireblade is visible to him due to either her abnormality or psionic strength.
I suspect she is just the first/most easy visible.

Anyway, this discussion should a actually be in its respective thread.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Hmm, I wonder what the odds are that Alex is undergoing some kind of psychic erosion that will be detrimental in the long term.

Werra

Post by Werra »

You mean his resistance to telepathy slowly weakening?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Werra wrote:You mean his resistance to telepathy slowly weakening?
Something something nagging women?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Krulle wrote:"Let's see how a Male keeps up with one of us and Him alone, in a small room.
We all could use something exhausting to do while we're looked up.
Prevents aggression..."
Where is the like button for this comment?
Supporter of forum RPG

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Instead psychic erosion, I would say that Alex's brains have been bombarded sanzai signals many weeks and have been selftraining at figuring out what does those mean. As like baby hear sounds but it takes time to figure out new senses. I think there has been some cyberadventures who have installed new senses and other things to their bodies. Someone of them said once something about it took half year for him, before his brain got it figured what it was installed to him and generate the interface to operate it.

So I say that Alex brains has now developed telepathic sense, but it has no power to reception (without outsider boost) and he can regocnize only Fireblade, because she violently imprinted him. Maybe his brains think her as a danger or maybe a mother figure? But all other loroi are still background noise for his brain.
Supporter of forum RPG

Arent

Post by Arent »

bunnyboy wrote: So I say that Alex brains has now developed telepathic sense, but it has no power to reception (without outsider boost) and he can regocnize only Fireblade, because she violently imprinted him. Maybe his brains think her as a danger or maybe a mother figure? But all other loroi are still background noise for his brain.
Alex could sense her from the beginning, even without her touching him. Just read the page where he initially wakes up.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Are you saying she was not there prodding him before he opened his eyes?
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider019.html

Also, someone must have lifted him on the bed beforehand and I think it was the one with most muscle.
Supporter of forum RPG

Arent

Post by Arent »

bunnyboy wrote:Are you saying she was not there prodding him before he opened his eyes?

Also, someone must have lifted him on the bed beforehand and I think it was the one with most muscle.
Of course it could potentially be that she already tried to probe his mind before he woke up. Since he was unconscious, I don't think that happened, but who knows?

I personally interprete it such that Alex can sense her without having any direct contact to a Loroi. Maybe some humans have abilities similar to Loroi, but they are suppressed for some reason. After all, Alex mentioned in passing that humans know of telepathy in "old stories".

It is also very interesting that Alex feels her presence as a burning sensation and is fearful.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arent wrote:
bunnyboy wrote:Are you saying she was not there prodding him before he opened his eyes?

Of course it could potentially be that she already tried to probe his mind before he woke up. Since he was unconscious, I don't think that happened, but who knows?

I personally interprete it such that Alex can sense her without having any direct contact to a Loroi. Maybe some humans have abilities similar to Loroi, but they are suppressed for some reason. After all, Alex mentioned in passing that humans know of telepathy in "old stories".

It is also very interesting that Alex feels her presence as a burning sensation and is fearful.
The Bellarmine had eighty people onboard, the other scoutships probably have similar numbers and as far as we know, none of them have been detected. On the other hand if you claim to have powers, to be able to read minds and some such, then chances are that you end up in the loony bin rather then to be hired by the TCA. IF there are humans with powers, then these are probably very rare.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Sweforce wrote:
The Bellarmine had eighty people onboard, the other scoutships probably have similar numbers and as far as we know, none of them have been detected. On the other hand if you claim to have powers, to be able to read minds and some such, then chances are that you end up in the loony bin rather then to be hired by the TCA. IF there are humans with powers, then these are probably very rare.
But that's one of the major points. I haven't seen any indication that the Loroi ever encountered other beings that are entirely undetectable. Maybe there are such beings, but I havn't seen Arioch mentioning them.

So, all humans are quite peculiar. Apart from looking strikingly similar to Loroi, which suggest some kind of relation or genetic engineering. That's quite a lot of coincidences.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Arent wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
But that's one of the major points. I haven't seen any indication that the Loroi ever encountered other beings that are entirely undetectable. Maybe there are such beings, but I havn't seen Arioch mentioning them.

So, all humans are quite peculiar. Apart from looking strikingly similar to Loroi, which suggest some kind of relation or genetic engineering. That's quite a lot of coincidences.

He said that life must be more complicated then an insect to be detected, maybe humans more primitive then Soia-liron insects?

Arent

Post by Arent »

Zorg56 wrote:
He said that life must be more complicated then an insect to be detected, maybe humans more primitive then Soia-liron insects?
Beryl thinks you are very mean to her favorite human pet.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

All the psionic humans are in the PsiCorps.

StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

Psicorps is mother, Psicorps is father... 8-)

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

That better not be a suppository, Talon.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

I hope it is not somthing awkward?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Looks like an alien version of a flashlight to me.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Zorg56 wrote:I hope it is not somthing awkward?
Not really, Talon just walks in on them and voices her disgust that Beryl hasn't made it into his pants yet.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Being a Patreon supporter I have gathered that it is a portable lamp. The lights may go out to preserve energy so an emergency portable lamp should be standard equipment.