WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Krulle »

Mr.Tucker wrote: Let"s consider the position of penguins. If I take said position, move further south to the south pole...then continue along the same south-facing direction, I will, eventually, reach central Asia, will I not? :P
But you stopped going south somewhere along the lines, as you won't be facing south anymore.

On the Curonian Spit, the end-point is the most northern point of the spit, and the German name is "Südpunkt" (southpoint).
Why? Because you can only go south from there.

Let's return to topic again:
This is how I imagine telepathy explanations: A nice image forming in your head, transferring what the speaker wants to tell about her home/adventure/...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"I ascended to adult-hood by taming the mighty sandworm"

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

I created a forums account just to post this. Been a lurker for years and truly enjoy the comic. Thank you for this great piece of work :D.

Is it possible that when Humans sleep the "Mask" we have might fade and the Loroi can "see" his dreams. That's the impression i got from the WIP of young Jardin, it could also be a simple flashback story though too.
Keep up the great work and stay safe/healthy :D.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Kelvandos wrote:Is it possible that when Humans sleep the "Mask" we have might fade and the Loroi can "see" his dreams.
Might require more than just a human at rest given how much time Reed spent outside his door with him sleeping in solitary.

The "Mask" seems more like something that requires focus to lower which is why Alex doing the zen thing let him spot Fireblade.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Wouldn't sleeping be considered a lower focused state? Was it confirmed that a guard stayed at his door the whole time? They might of just locked it and left him be (unless to bring him food). In fact that would make since, since he is "Alien" to them, they might of quarantined him off and kept others away while they studied his bio flora fauna to make sure he wasn't toxic to them. Or i could be completely off mark. Good food for thought tho.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Fireblade wrote:Yes, Beryl, I totally want to talk with your pet alien instead of sleeping.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

that is not a "good" look...

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

She looks extremely annoyed.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Fireblade: Either you shut him up, or I'LL shut him up.

Beryl: :shock:

Also, that picture would be the perfect meme face for '110% done with this shit.'

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

When the 'nam flashbacks hit you.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

boldilocks wrote:When the 'nam flashbacks hit you.
Indeed. For the first time she actually doesn't look tough, angry or annoyed, but rather sad, depressed and tired. I would imagine she's "talking" about some of the horrors she went through during the Umiak occupation of her homeworld.

I'm waiting for the next page to come out to read what she's saying...

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Onaiom wrote:Image
Fireblade wrote:Yes, Beryl, I totally want to talk with your pet alien instead of sleeping.
I imagine this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO3V9I8hDLw

On a more serious note, she looks a bit... haunted. Wonder if she will actually grace him with her voice?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Reminds me of Revy's eyes in this scene:

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

dragoongfa wrote:Reminds me of Revy's eyes in this scene:
Seriously, What episode is that from?!? I thought I'd seen ALL of Black Lagoon... and cannot place where that takes place?!? Is it from an OVA?!? :shock:
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

It's from the first season, I think episode 4 or 5.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Thx! Clearly I need to watch it again... great series! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Quickdraw101 wrote:She looks extremely annoyed.
I think she looks sad :(

Highlord

Post by Highlord »

Kelvandos wrote:I created a forums account just to post this. Been a lurker for years and truly enjoy the comic. Thank you for this great piece of work :D.

Is it possible that when Humans sleep the "Mask" we have might fade and the Loroi can "see" his dreams. That's the impression i got from the WIP of young Jardin, it could also be a simple flashback story though too.
Maybe in a full REM state, since that's when the brain is in full data-parsing mode. Even then, it would probably require both a powerful psychic and physical contact.

My guess about the "mask" effect is that it's just a natural outgrowth of humans being utterly psi-blind by adulthood. It would also be of no surprise to me if children, often known to be surprisingly perceptive of things around them, are by Loroi standards modestly psi-active until their brains fully develop and go into psychic lockdown.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Highlord wrote:
Kelvandos wrote:I created a forums account just to post this. Been a lurker for years and truly enjoy the comic. Thank you for this great piece of work :D.

Maybe in a full REM state, since that's when the brain is in full data-parsing mode. Even then, it would probably require both a powerful psychic and physical contact.

My guess about the "mask" effect is that it's just a natural outgrowth of humans being utterly psi-blind by adulthood. It would also be of no surprise to me if children, often known to be surprisingly perceptive of things around them, are by Loroi standards modestly psi-active until their brains fully develop and go into psychic lockdown.
If so said lockdown could be learned rather then inevitable. Perhaps pci abilities could be trained rather then be allowed to atrophy.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

I'm just imagining Alex having a nightmare in this couch fort and all the other girls there 'seeing/feeling" it, or something like he gets a bad headache and it affects them, when cuddling (thus close/touching).

As to the psi block and if kids could be more perceptive. Well... that's a good thought, let me run it though the ol' thought engine above and see what pops out.
It begs to ask if the psi block from a early age could also be trained out and make a human more perceptive as an adult.

I'm imagining Buddhist (or someone who is very good at meditating) monks who could be sensitive.