Halfway station RP thread.

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Halfway station RP thread.

Post by Krulle »

In other forums there are tavern/inn like RP in-character threads too. Mostly, they are no game, just some in-character chat.
I'm not interested myself, but have observed them.
The best ones are the ones where there isn't much of a character description.
You just walk in, descrbe what you look like, order your beer and wait and see what happens/who approaches you/listen in to interesting talk and give unwanted remarks on that...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Wow. The amount of "stop having fun" and "you don't get to play someone important/awesome" here is staggering.
Whoa let's back up a minute here, that's not what we're saying, or at least, that's not what I am trying to say. I'm happy to let people play what they want, as long as it makes some kind of sense. Ultimately it comes down to, how strict you/we want to be with the canon, which I don't think has been nailed down yet.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Wow. The amount of "stop having fun" and "you don't get to play someone important/awesome" here is staggering.
You need to understand that "games you play with others" and "games you play with yourself" are different sorts of games. Both can be fun, but they are usually NOT the same sort of game. sunphoenix's character ideas are not compatible with both the game as described, and "games you play with others" at the same time. They could probably work in some other setting (one where it actually makes sense for a player character to have their own ship, for one), but they have too much power fantasy in them to mesh well with the game in the way that it's been described.

At any rate, if what you got out of my post at least was "stop having fun", then you missed the point: the point was "that version of fun doesn't mix with other people's version of fun", their version being the version where they get to have fun. The character that sunphoenix described would basically have to:
1) be the dominant character in the game, or
2) be separated off from all of the other characters, or
3) have no further involvement with his own backstory,
just as a consequence of how nonsensical the backstory is.

Why did the character have to run away (hint: Loroi males aren't cloistered obsessively as though by a domineering mother, they are actual productive members of society)? How did he get a jump-capable ship to himself, despite the fact that jump-capable ships are large multi-person vessels with large multi-person crews(no seriously, how? if it was inheritance, then it would go to a clan or sub-clan. if he stole it, there's no way he'd be accepted. the whole thing is so implausible that it's honest-to-goodness nonsense)? How did he get starship-grade weapons in the first place? How did he install them without the shipyard techs noticing (note: this bit is almost guaranteed to make the character a criminal)? How did he evade capture (or destruction) by military ships despite them having some sort of reason to capture him (see again: why did the character have to run away? note that once they notice that you've taken a military-grade ship or have unauthorized ship-board weapons, you're pretty high up on the "kill or capture on sight" list, simply because you've departed from the norm in dangerous-to-others ways)? Why would he be made part of the security apparatus on the station (no really, why would they do that? if it's a TCA station, they'll use TCA marines, if it's a joint station, the Loroi will have a say, if it's civie then he'll still have to get certifications which he won't have because he's a Loroi male, and can't get because he'd have to go to TCA or Loroi space to get them. they still wouldn't hire him because here's a suspicious Loroi male showing up out of the blue to ask for a security job. the only reason I can think of is that he's threatening the station with his ship's weapons, in which case sunphoenix gets to have every other character trying to kill him: and if he gets do have such an outlandish character, then someone else gets to play as a Human Cyber Ninja, and kill him in their first post. seriously, it's just a pile of dubious ideas piled up until it's insane)?

And no, "refuge in audacity" is not a valid strategy for getting a character accepted into an RP, you're thinking of "amuse the other characters with absurd exploits". They may seem similar, but they are in fact completely different.

As for playing someone important/awesome, the first scales with the RP situation (the guys sitting in the doctor's waiting room aren't important right now, even if they've just gotten off their job of splitting planets with utter force of will), and the second usually isn't actually awesome if the player finds their character to be awesome most of the time: if the character is usually doing "awesome" things (instead of having one or two awesome moments during a quest) then it's more likely that they're just obnoxious to everyone else (I have literally worked with someone who had "awesome" tattooed on their arm: good worker, but actually annoying and childish instead of awesome). "What to do with Jardin"-style characters can be fun in stories if well-written, but they are not fun in multi-player games unless you're the one playing the ball of obnoxiousness: everyone else gets to play SOMEWHERE ELSE (a.k.a. ignore you), Umiak (a.k.a. exist solely to be your chew toy), Fragile Spear (a.k.a. exist solely to suffer for your amusement, so an allied chew toy), or The Triad (a.k.a. exist solely to support your self-glorification). Steam-rollers like that don't belong in multi-person RPs.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Uhm.. Excuse me.. but where did you get ANY of that form what I suggested? I had not bothered with any detail or even a fully fleshed out story as WE HAVE NO CHARACTER CREATION SYSTEM!!!

1. No Amber Eyes does not own his own ship.. though a small orbital launch might not be out of the question.

2. He merely did not tell his over protective sisters what he had in mind. The only thing I inferred is that Amber Eyes might be considered affluent in wealth.

3. As for armed, I'm sure Loroi do hunting and other sports .. he merely purchased weapons available to civilians.. not military grade weapons but a hunting blaster or a sidearm. Likely considering the danger of certain beast there is also civilian grade protective armor and gear.. so he purchased some.

4. No he did not steal a jump capable ship he merely bought a travel ticket likely upon a freighter to parts unknown to his immediate protectors and then never told them where he was going.

5. As for qualifying for a security job ... are you serious? There are many levels of security jobs many of which have no need to carry a firearm.. now your just being obnoxious. A Loroi male applying for a job as a security person on a joint civilian station might be seen as an asset actually considering how stand-offiish most Loroi would likely seem.

6. NONE of this matters as we have no character generation system to fairly or evenly adjudicate what can and more importantly CANNOT be done by a 'starting character'.

Please refrain from ascribing to me suppositions I never posted or even suggested.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

sunphoenix wrote:Uhm.. Excuse me.. but where did you get ANY of that form what I suggested? I had not bothered with any detail or even a fully fleshed out story as WE HAVE NO CHARACTER CREATION SYSTEM!!!
Sorry, but I got it from reading your description. Literally, I got it from reading your description. None of your rebutals were implied in your post, so I went with the most direct interpretation, i.e, the one that was relevant when going to a space station instead of a nature preserve.
sunphoenix wrote:1. No Amber Eyes does not own his own ship.. though a small orbital launch might not be out of the question.
Here's a quote of your post:
sunphoenix wrote:He got about his civilian ship and took a flight to human-space
I certainly wasn't going to assume that another ship was involved in the trip, since it is not implied anywhere.
sunphoenix wrote:3. As for armed, I'm sure Loroi do hunting and other sports .. he merely purchased weapons available to civilians.. not military grade weapons but a hunting blaster or a sidearm. Likely considering the danger of certain beast there is also civilian grade protective armor and gear.. so he purchased some.
Considering the nature of Loroi society, I don't think that civilians would be allowed to have actual weapons, probably not even on the scale of high-power airguns.
sunphoenix wrote:5. As for qualifying for a security job ... are you serious? There are many levels of security jobs many of which have no need to carry a firearm.. now your just being obnoxious.
No, I'm being serious. It's not a cheap resource (even just as bulk materials, a station will be hideously expensive), and the insurance company will require all of the security guards to have professional training, even if the station authority doesn't care (the station authority will care, because you don't get that much money to swing around without caring). Security training isn't just about firearms (in fact it mostly isn't about weapons), it's largely about the laws & regulations that apply to security guards & police, first aid, writing reports, etc. In a course schedule booklet that I have on my desk, you are required to complete two other unarmed courses before you're allowed to take the firearms course (because guns actually don't matter in ordinary law enforcement duties, just the unusual stuff), and the third course (out of five) is actually a private investigator course instead of a gun course.
sunphoenix wrote:A Loroi male applying for a job as a security person on a joint civilian station might be seen as an asset actually considering how stand-offiish most Loroi would likely seem.
I suspect that you're thinking of a bureaucratic job instead of a security job. There are bureaucratic jobs within police forces, but they're pretty rare (most police forces are fairly small, and honestly need to focus on doing the most fundamental parts of the job). A Public Relations department would be more of what you seem to be looking for.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

I agree with Absalom. SC - is primarily a special preparation, not just weapons and skill with them. And the Loroi man get this training is simply nowhere. This is the first.

Second - totalitarian structures are usually very tightly regulate the access of its citizens to arms, especially if there is a division between civil and security agencies. I don't think that getting weapons in the Union for Loroi (especially men), bypassing the state - an easy task. Especially considering the attitude of Loroi to the military sphere and matching attributes as a "high" employment. It is more correct to compare the Union would not modernity, but rather with the Middle Ages, where only certain classes of people had the right to own and use weapon.

Third, directly coming out of the second - Loroi men are full-fledged members of society, but carefully controlled and protected members of society. I doubt that a Loroi man can just come to the spaceport and say "Hey, I'm a one way ticket to the TCA please" and doesn't cause any questions. Plus, I'm not sure that they have the money - they are provided by the state, or of their custodian structure. In addition, I, again, not sure what the Loroi men own all the necessary for a fully independent life skills (or at least a trivial applied profession).

And finally, the fourth (and most harsh) - your character is Loroi. Given the inherent structure of any security default level of paranoia, seems to me highly unlikely that the security service will take Loroi (of either sex) to the service, especially on field work, under any circumstances. What would have been easier, abstracted from Loroi, and imagine the same Oges, who came to the FBI, and said, "I heard you needed the staff. I will take?". What do you think, what will be the response? Especially considering p.1-2, in your case.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi Guys!
Not really sure I should write a few things here, as I am not interested in playing in this RP (no time at the moment). But there are some things I would like to add on the whole "male Loroi as a playercharacter" discussion:
Pro's:
1.) Such a character would be interesting, as they are currently not present in the comic, but play an important part in Loroi society. The RP could benefit from it, if the character is well played and the player knows its boundaries.
2.) The player could show us a bit about the "inner workings" of a Loroi male. Would he be not confused in such a situation with all those similar looking aliens, all these human males around him and all those females that would react very differntly to his presence, than he is used to?
3.) The player hast the chance to develop the background of his char basically from scratch, as there are few informations. What cast would he be? Why is he there? There will be a strong motivation neeeded to explain the later.

Con's:
1.) Lets face it: Loroi males are tiny and physically weak. Depending on the setting, this can be a serious downside.
2.) Like mentioned by others before: the Loroi are a basically a militaristic dictatorship. Also their males are rare and protected, like we protect our children. I can't imagine why they should let a male wander around or travel to the TCA. Someone will notice him and, againe, I can't imagine a Loroi frighter captain taking him aboard without facing the consequences. If we add to the mix, that this male might be a strong telepath, then the gripp of the Loroi goverment will be even tighter. Regardless, I am sure no Loroi will be able to simply buy a ticket on a starship and travel around freely.
3.) And they major point against such a character: we know they have a very strong sexdrive, so far that they get sick if they can't let off some steam, so to speak. I can imagine that this will lead to some _very_ unpleasant scenes with female player or nonplayer characters, because Loroi males are apparently used to get "helped" if they develop such a "problem" by any female around.

As a rather expirienced GM, I would suggest choosing a different character. I wouldn't go as far as call a Loroi male unplayable, but from my point of view, its not far off.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

@Sunphoenix

If I may make a suggestion about the plausibility of your character, we do know that Loroi males are over protected and kept away from the female masses in order to limit the population growth.

A fertile Loroi male running around freely would be a big no no in Loroi society but a Loroi male who would want to travel around and 'escape' the usual restrictions of Loroi society would have to undergo the Loroi equivalent of a vasectomy or vasalgel injection.

Would make an interesting character tidbit as well as allowing for the much needed freedom he would crave. (He could also mate at will with any Loroi without any issue since infertile).

EDIT: @Suederwind

I think that most of the restrictions put in place on Loroi males revolve around their fertility, a Loroi male let loose among the masses would probably end up impregnating dozens of females in days. Probably thousands in a couple of months. Remember that most Loroi females don't have any access to males and as such they would be the ones jumping at him on sight.

Now a chronically uncooperative and 'rogueish' male who suffers from wanderlust would be hard to control, even with his biological weakness. Its not beyond the realm of impossibility that such a male would be 'allowed' to go somewhat free provided that he would not be able to father any children.

As for the sex drive need, Arioch has said that the Loroi over exaggerate the issues their males have with not mating. They won't die, from what I have gathered they just produce too much 'seed' when frequently mating which tends to leak if not 'drained'. IIRC There are some small castes of relatively celibate males scattered around the Union.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

...yes, yes, yes... I'm sure EVERY Female Loroi turns into a rapist in the presence of unprotected male.

...And despite their having ultra-tech weapons that can lay waste to planetary surfaces.. the concept of a 'condom' is lost on them for controlling their population growth in means less than surgery.

Yeah, whatever dudes.. you can play all you want in your little close-minded universe... have fun.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

So you went to Rape...

Let me put it like this:

The vast majority of Loroi females have scant if at all access to males; access that is tightly controlled by the warrior castes. One male ends up in one of the poor civilian districts which for all intents and purposes are the bottom of the barrel of Loroi society, the Loroi there have either not ever seen a male or have have a few minutes fling with one that was assigned to them. Saying that they will pursue the one in a lifetime opportunity for a direct encounter with a male is an understatement.

However the forming of a 'rape gang' is an over exaggeration. Loroi are socially conditioned (if not biologically conditioned) to be over protective of their males, the male in question will not be in any short of physical danger. He will be seen as the rarest of treasures for the down rotten Loroi in question (unlike how some human criminal gangs see women).

The problems wont be for him but for the warrior castes that see males as a control mechanism for their whole society. They will try to get him back and the civilians will riot to keep him where he is.

EDIT: TL;DR: Control of males is power, power that the warrior castes cannot allow to flee from their tight grasp. If a male is just to bothersome to control (because they can't violently coerce them) then they will at least make sure that they wont father thousands upon thousands of Loroi when they are free of oversight.

I can see why you could infer a mass 'rape orgy' if a lone male was around but that would require a mass breakdown of Loroi society to happen.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

sunphoenix wrote:...yes, yes, yes... I'm sure EVERY Female Loroi turns into a rapist in the presence of unprotected male.

...And despite their having ultra-tech weapons that can lay waste to planetary surfaces.. the concept of a 'condom' is lost on them for controlling their population growth in means less than surgery.

Yeah, whatever dudes.. you can play all you want in your little close-minded universe... have fun.
You seriously need to rein in both your power fantasies and your lip. At the same time, it doesn't hurt to have someone else look over the backstory when you're developing a RP character.
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

@dragoongfa:
I would rather compare Loroi males and their place in society to children (as Arioch did sometimes). The are protected and every Loroi females is expected to take care of them or at least look after them. A Loroi male standing on a spaceport and wanting to buy a ticket to human space is (to me) the equivalent of a 9 year old boy, standing on an airport and wants to buy a ticket to south africa, with his parents nowhere to be seen. How far do you think he might get till someone alarms the security? I bet not very far.

@Carl Miller:
it doesn't hurt to have someone else look over the backstory when you're developing a RP character
Or any other character. Feedback is important.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Children aren't quite correct comparison. Children generally aren't able to take care of himself completely. Loroi men is such an opportunity, technically. Faithful will be compared to the inverted relationship to the women, where there are few of them. With a factor of 5-10. And probably it is better not to take a modern, but Century XIX-XX.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Suederwind wrote:Pro's:
1.) Such a character would be interesting, as they are currently not present in the comic, but play an important part in Loroi society. The RP could benefit from it, if the character is well played and the player knows its boundaries.
It can probably work out okay even if sunphoenix (or whoever else) overdoes it a little, just not a lot.
Suederwind wrote:2.) The player could show us a bit about the "inner workings" of a Loroi male. Would he be not confused in such a situation with all those similar looking aliens, all these human males around him and all those females that would react very differntly to his presence, than he is used to?

3.) The player hast the chance to develop the background of his char basically from scratch, as there are few informations. What cast would he be? Why is he there? There will be a strong motivation neeeded to explain the later.
I think that could even be something of a point: if the Loroi Union thinks that maintaining semi-friendly relations with the TCA is valuable, then a "counter intuitive" envoy such as a male equivalent to the Listel (forgot the cast name) might be seen as the perfect choice.
Suederwind wrote:Con's:
2.) Like mentioned by others before: the Loroi are a basically a militaristic dictatorship. Also their males are rare and protected, like we protect our children. I can't imagine why they should let a male wander around or travel to the TCA. Someone will notice him and, againe, I can't imagine a Loroi frighter captain taking him aboard without facing the consequences. If we add to the mix, that this male might be a strong telepath, then the gripp of the Loroi goverment will be even tighter. Regardless, I am sure no Loroi will be able to simply buy a ticket on a starship and travel around freely.
3.) And they major point against such a character: we know they have a very strong sexdrive, so far that they get sick if they can't let off some steam, so to speak. I can imagine that this will lead to some _very_ unpleasant scenes with female player or nonplayer characters, because Loroi males are apparently used to get "helped" if they develop such a "problem" by any female around.
I do think both of these could be toned down, and are likely to be more subtle in Arioch's actual setting than it might seem: having to keep a full 1/11 of your population sequestered is inherently difficult if they aren't prone to playing along with it. I imagine the solution involves a lot of "men's cities" with multiple sub-districts (e.g. you don't stick the men's housing in the commerce areas) embedded into normal ones, so that the sequester can be converted to simple patrols & checkpoints. A Loroi who does get pregnant without authorization would be easy enough to detect later on, so they just need to restrain the statistics, not the totality.

dragoongfa wrote:@Sunphoenix

If I may make a suggestion about the plausibility of your character, we do know that Loroi males are over protected and kept away from the female masses in order to limit the population growth.

A fertile Loroi male running around freely would be a big no no in Loroi society but a Loroi male who would want to travel around and 'escape' the usual restrictions of Loroi society would have to undergo the Loroi equivalent of a vasectomy or vasalgel injection.
Vasalgel analogues seem more likely, even a group overseeing thousands of males would normally be dubious about permanently sterilizing even one of their males, since they're a limited resource.
dragoongfa wrote:Would make an interesting character tidbit as well as allowing for the much needed freedom he would crave. (He could also mate at will with any Loroi without any issue since infertile).
Or he could be a member of some sort of social-control monastery. Though I suppose that would go down with you guys about as well as growth hormones :p .

sunphoenix wrote:...And despite their having ultra-tech weapons that can lay waste to planetary surfaces.. the concept of a 'condom' is lost on them for controlling their population growth in means less than surgery.
Vasalgel isn't that big of a deal actually, you're thinking of vasectomies. Vasalgel is supposed to be reversible (if I remember right, with a baking soda solution). Condoms are arguably more heavy-handed than that when used over an extended period, not less, and it's availability is really just a matter of technological development. Given the Loroi lifespans, gender ratios, and male sex drive, it could probably be argued that temporary fertility inhibitants (I spelled that the way that I meant) would have been very important during long-lasting stretches of peace: Arioch has outright said that one of the changes that lead to the sustainability of Loroi society was controlling access to males, but even then they probably had fairly high death rates, so if they had to actually cut-off access to males for most of the population during times of peace, then it probably would have lead to chronic (though presumably not major) rioting.

Also, condoms and doom-cannons are really only related to each other in the realms of artillery jokes, and over-compensation.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

A male loroi can work like that provided it's been couched in the correct manner and has a background that supports the narrative the PC wants to put forward. It's not really all that different from a Joan of Arc or Grace O'Malley type of character, provided you balance things out to give other people room to have their fun also.

So, to fill out a bit of the background from what Sunphoenix provided, we have a loroi male who's been exposed to human marines and wants to be a warrior too. The thing is he has to justify it to his caretakers in the same fashion that a child would to his or her parents. Yes, you can board an international flight as a child, provided you have a trusted guardian and abide by certain behaviours, also if it's for a good reason.

So, the loroi male would almost certainly have a bodyguard or three. Their function would be threefold. The first is to protect his person. The second is to prevent him from having unsanctioned sex with others, and the third would be to relieve him of any stress he may come under. These bodyguards would almost certainly have been rendered temporarily infertile prior to accepting the position.

This resolves a number of the problems that loroi society would have with a male running around free and clear. His bodyguards keep him out of trouble and he gets his freedom. We still have the problem of a reason to let him go though, since a lot of the social taboos regarding males in loroi society make them effectively non-functional outside of monastic orders.

One possible solution would be tradition. Presumably not all loroi cultures and sub-cultures had Mizol from the very beginning. It had to be invented by someone at some point, and prior to that you'd have more primitive methods of attempting to peaceably deal with others. One possible angle of attack would be to send two males to negotiate with one another. Since males are precious, it provides both risk and reward for those that come to the table to talk. If the other clan harms the male, they've just violated a massive taboo that could turn others against them, so decorum becomes absolutely imperative. Likewise, males being perceived as less combative than the females, it would be assumed that a peaceful discussion and accord would be reached more easily than otherwise.

Another potential angle would be scholarly interest. The guy had to have done something before he was displaced and academic or philosophical pursuits would be a worthwhile excuse to let him be.

That's kind of what it comes down to in the end I guess. The Loroi Union needs both an assurance that he won't freely breed without state sanction, and an official excuse to let him go off galivanting on what amounts to an adventure. Bodyguards and the official excuse of studying human culture and philosophy lets a loroi male be a plausible character. The rest, the wanderlust, the desire for adventure and an exciting life, can sit in the background for later character development.

You could get a lot of interesting interplay between the loroi male, his bodyguards, and the station personnel he interacts with. Since Sunphoneix wanted him to go into security training, there could be an interesting story arc there, such as his bodyguards becoming overprotective when it comes to physical training and sparring, or the character finds that becoming a warrior is actually quite hard, struggles, and succeeds at some tasks whilst failing at others, developing further as a character as a result. He might never meet the physical standards to go into the military or security, but he could serve as an advisor or as a negotiator, especially with regards to other loroi who would be compelled to listen or at least be civil in his presence.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

At last.. a voice of reason and open-mindedness.

This would be a neat character to play.. which was ALL I was interested in.. certainly no 'Power-Play' as some would suggest.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Interesting opinion, Razor One. Some of the facts were not clear to me, and something that is shown from a different perspective. It will be interesting to watch and think about this. Thank you.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Razor One wrote:One possible solution would be tradition. Presumably not all loroi cultures and sub-cultures had Mizol from the very beginning. It had to be invented by someone at some point, and prior to that you'd have more primitive methods of attempting to peaceably deal with others. One possible angle of attack would be to send two males to negotiate with one another. Since males are precious, it provides both risk and reward for those that come to the table to talk. If the other clan harms the male, they've just violated a massive taboo that could turn others against them, so decorum becomes absolutely imperative. Likewise, males being perceived as less combative than the females, it would be assumed that a peaceful discussion and accord would be reached more easily than otherwise.

Another potential angle would be scholarly interest. The guy had to have done something before he was displaced and academic or philosophical pursuits would be a worthwhile excuse to let him be.

That's kind of what it comes down to in the end I guess. The Loroi Union needs both an assurance that he won't freely breed without state sanction, and an official excuse to let him go off galivanting on what amounts to an adventure. Bodyguards and the official excuse of studying human culture and philosophy lets a loroi male be a plausible character. The rest, the wanderlust, the desire for adventure and an exciting life, can sit in the background for later character development.

You could get a lot of interesting interplay between the loroi male, his bodyguards, and the station personnel he interacts with. Since Sunphoneix wanted him to go into security training, there could be an interesting story arc there, such as his bodyguards becoming overprotective when it comes to physical training and sparring, or the character finds that becoming a warrior is actually quite hard, struggles, and succeeds at some tasks whilst failing at others, developing further as a character as a result. He might never meet the physical standards to go into the military or security, but he could serve as an advisor or as a negotiator, especially with regards to other loroi who would be compelled to listen or at least be civil in his presence.
Another aspect to this is that he doesn't necessarily need to have gone directly to the station. The exact time-frame hasn't been nailed down as I best recall, so it could have been a few years, or even a decade, since the station was built. He may have spent a few years on Earth, for example, investigating things that the governments would be much more willing to let a foreign civilian look into than a foreign soldier.

If he felt it sensible to learn a little self-defense and maybe even investigate the Terran training institutions in the mean-time, well, that would possibly even fall within his duties, now wouldn't it? Receiving certifications? The perfect way to confirm his analysis! But, of course, it wouldn't be what sunphoenix described, of a Loroi going off against the wishes of his society to become a "real man", and he wouldn't be able to be an actual member of the Station Police unless it was an official joint station, so it's probably not what he's looking for.

At any rate, if you guys want this RP to start then someone really should post IC, or work out a bit more of the station, or some other such thing. Nothing produces progress like taking action does.

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

At this point it would probably best to create a new thread for the RP, and leave this for OOC discussion/planning/working out the details. I was kinda waiting of Sweforce to do something like that, as he/she was the OP.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Diodri wrote:At this point it would probably best to create a new thread for the RP, and leave this for OOC discussion/planning/working out the details. I was kinda waiting of Sweforce to do something like that, as he/she was the OP.
Maybe I start with an In character character introduction as a kick of:

The starlightblocking mass of the old tanker Mongol filled the viewscreen the Eva pod. Inside, sgt Hansson took a quick look on his sensors to make sure he had enough clearance for the metal sheet held in his pods claws. A quick touch on his forward thruster control ended his relative momentum to Mongol's. A downward thruster burst and the pod began moving towards the tankers "roof" where two technicians worked tirelessly to seal a huge hole caused by an meteoric impact. Clearing the roof he saw the two space suit clad men standing passively next to each other showing no hint of having noticed his arrival. Hitting some controls he connected his intercom system to the two men and started to listen in to their conversation.
Tech1: "-...peperoni, my favourite and today's menu... I really need to get out of this suit for a while... ...the pod should be here any minute now, I'm starving!"
Hanson flicked on the pods floodlights sparking an immediate reaction from the waiting figures turning towards him.
Tech2:"-he got another sheet with him. We got to anchor that before heading out for lunch!"
Finally Hanson spoke to the men: -Don't bother, I'll hold it until you are ready to assemble it properly. For now, hop onboard and get your lunch!
Tech2:"-What? Eat in the pod? That cramped eggshell of yours?"
-Orders, captain are not going to let you in until the hole is sealed and the compartment behind it pressurised. I got some zero rations with me, it have to do.
Tech1:"-Damn it, I hate those."
Tech2:"-We all do, btw what was that delay about shouldn't you been here half an hour ago?"
-I had lunch, peperoni pizza. Yummy!...