Page 88

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Nathan_

Re: Page 88

Post by Nathan_ »

dont forget that Terran sector is more on the umiak side than the loroi one. maybe their scout didnt go far enough to try to detect human colony.
even more reason to scout out the area.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Karst45 wrote:Well think of it the other way. You back a your base. you see a single small unit moving toward the front line were one of your best strike group is already heading. Why would you deploy another fleet to actually stop that ship?
It's coming from a different direction than normal and your strike group is occupied, it's not a guarantee but it also wouldn't cost much to send out a single scout to check on what's going on.
Grayhome wrote:If humans were immune to psi Alex wouldn't have been driven unconscious by Fireblade's physical contact.
Humans aren't immune to psi-pushes, Alex fell unconscious because Fireblade was squeezing the air out of his chest.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Huh? She wha...?

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

In the torture scene. Page 27.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Oh! I thought he blacked out due to Fireblade's use of Psi on his mind, not that he lost oxygen... how mundane

Certainly changes my theories a bit.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

He was still able to feel the tingle of her psi-probing at the base of his skull and he saw her silhouette during his unconscious vision.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Yes I thought that was the cause of his mind shutting down to prevent any deeper scans, not that he had the air knocked out of his lungs. I had read from word of God that there was an unconscious element between the two during the contact but... didn't think it was anything other than Alex's brain screaming: hacker detected shutting down and then light's out.

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

Did they push hard enough to cause any organ failure or did they let up on unconciousness?

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

It sounds like all she did was to seize up muscle response. I doubt lasting damage was caused.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

fredgiblet wrote:
Karst45 wrote:Well think of it the other way. You back a your base. you see a single small unit moving toward the front line were one of your best strike group is already heading. Why would you deploy another fleet to actually stop that ship?
It's coming from a different direction than normal and your strike group is occupied, it's not a guarantee but it also wouldn't cost much to send out a single scout to check on what's going on.
It not simply like going to your friend house to see if he ok. Time wise and resources wise sending a single ship out to intercept a ship that coming from a different angle than the normal battle plane may not be worth wise. even more when you already have a squad here who can do the job.

Also, they (the far-seer) dont see the individual ship like a radar, it not like; on 193x 21y 84z there 41 ship and 29x 102y 120z there another ship.

It also possible that such a low number of crew (80) didnt make a big enough "blink" on the farseer for them to notice compared to the ten of thousand crew on nearby system.
Nathan_ wrote:
dont forget that Terran sector is more on the umiak side than the loroi one. maybe their scout didnt go far enough to try to detect human colony.
If you want to scan out that area you need to send ship, and umiak wont like having loroi ship in their territory and probably doing the same thing that the loroi are doing AKA intercepting and destroying any ship that slightly deviate from the step.

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

Karst45 wrote: What i continue to believe is that the Historian are actually playing both side. They went to ally with the loroi and given them tech to fight off the umiak. at the same time they were studying a solution to prevent the loroi far sensing ability.

So Mr 27 may have said the true, but it Historian tech that prevent that.
wow, you really don't like the historians don't you :lol: , I agree with you that there is a secret third party to the Loroi Umiak war but; I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be in fact the Pol who are manipulating the two sides and the Historians mearly act as their proxies. it could be that there is no historian race and that the Pol being a client race to them is mearly a cover. I could be wrong the only basis for this theory is the fact that we know even less about the pol than the historians. and really who would suspect a race that both needs protection and has apperantly has no physical technology.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

About Psi, Arioch has discussed some of the mechanics in the insider, and for sanzei he compared it to handheld radios. The Loroi are like two way radios able to send and recieve "thought signals" while the other races are only one way radios that only send out signals but cannot in turn recieve them, but the Loroi can pick up on them.

Now for Alex, Arioch in the other forums also said something about Alex being an invisible book, you couldn't see it but you could still interact with it like any other book. My own personal theory is that Alex simply isn't sending any "thought signals" for the Loroi to pick up on and as a side effect he is also psychically invisible to farsensing. This also means that he is still capable of being mind probed from skin contact just not at a distance.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

That could mean Humans are either advanced radios or broken radios in comparison to the rest of the species Loroi have encountered so far. It'll be interesting how this plays out, I bet it has something to do with the physical similarities between Loroi and Humans.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Grayhome wrote:That could mean Humans are either advanced radios or broken radios in comparison to the rest of the species Loroi have encountered so far. It'll be interesting how this plays out, I bet it has something to do with the physical similarities between Loroi and Humans.
Such as a slight alternation in biochemical make up between loroi/humans ?

I'm looking forward to seeing how the human lotai sage will work out
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Imbrooge wrote:This also means that he is still capable of being mind probed from skin contact just not at a distance.
Except Fireblades interrogation didn't work. They didn't get any information (or at least any useful information) out of Alex when they scanned him. So I'm guessing it's a bit more indepth than that.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Alex might've been too weak from his trauma and revival to be sufficiently healthy to undergo probing. That may be one possible explanation, though if he were at full strength and could consciously resist a mind probe by the touch of three powerful and trained unsheathed, I'd have to imagine the Loroi being slightly... unsettled.

anticarrot

Post by anticarrot »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:Except Fireblades interrogation didn't work. They didn't get any information (or at least any useful information) out of Alex when they scanned him. So I'm guessing it's a bit more indepth than that.
Maybe it's a sales recipt? On the basis of Like Reality Except, our fossil record is still there, and the Loroi are xeroxes of humanity printed in xenobiology ink, rather than a product of simple coincidence. Perhaps the Soia thought it would be fair to give humanity something in return?

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

Nathan_ wrote:
If you want to scan out that area you need to send ship, and umiak wont like having loroi ship in their territory and probably doing the same thing that the loroi are doing AKA intercepting and destroying any ship that slightly deviate from the step.
Loroi ships are faster, and the Umiak do not have any sort of FTL detection capability. Likewise the reason the steppes are depopulated is in no small part due to loroi fleet action.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Nathan_ wrote:
Loroi ships are faster, and the Umiak do not have any sort of FTL detection capability. Likewise the reason the steppes are depopulated is in no small part due to loroi fleet action.
It true that the Umiak dont have any FTL detection capability but they have a lots more ship, enough to create a blockade on their border. if they couldnt have a fleet in all border system the loroi would have win already.

The far sensing give them only the possibility to have minimal fleet at some system while intercepting bigger fleet in the step thus reducing their number with minimal lost so the defending fleet can easily win the fight.

It not like : Umiak dont see anything so loroi can go anywhere in Umiak system.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Nathan_ wrote:
It depends where in the Steppes the Naam system is.

IIR Arioch's forum responses correctly - the Steppes are expanding out into unexplored systems as each side looks for ways round each others defensive lines and this would lead to Humans being discovered within 5 years.
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider002.html wrote:NAAM SYSTEM, 217 LIGHT-YEARS FROM EARTH
If the Naam system is towards an edge then they have say 200 light years of unexplored systems before they find us.
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)