Adeptus Astartes Episode 2

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Whitmore

Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2

Post by Whitmore »

Werra wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Going fast can be the safer option as these appetite suppressants actually work and it leaves the enemy less time to prepare and wheel out heavy weapons. That could be the difference between one multilaser covering an archway or three with overlapping fields of fire.
Was there ever a doubt that spehs mahrines armor was stronk? haha
Last edited by Whitmore on Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Going fast can be the safer option as it leaves the enemy less time to prepare and wheel out heavy weapons. That could be the difference between one multilaser covering an archway or three with overlapping fields of fire.

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

In any event....

It is a very good series of fan-movies.

And in Ep 3, that plasma-pistol response.... is PURE GLORIOUS SPACE MARINE ATTITUDE. And perfectly in keeping with the written canon of Games Workshop fluff.

I approve.
The Philosophical Kensai

Still trying to master my craft...
As all Saints of the Sword do.

Tempral_Imperial

Post by Tempral_Imperial »

Zorg56 wrote:The problem is they are not good soldiers in here. They literally step in evry trap that was in front of them. And evry one of this traps must work. Both autocanon and multilaser.
Space marines must win because they are great soldiers- they know where ambush will be even without scouting since they have hundreds years of battle expirience.
Like this multilaser shouldnt even hit space marine since he would spot it and immidiatly hide even before it will fire, same with autocanon- space marine will kill gunner even before it can open fire.

Not this SPEHS MAHRINES AMOR IS STRONK.
Put Ogryn in power armor and you will get better space marines then this ones.

P.s. and bolt pistol should have no problem with multilaser shield.
The Space Marines are moving as fast as possible because they're fighting a ship filled with thousands of hostile enemy soldiers. Their biggest advantage is that the enemy cannot quickly concentrate all those troops on the Space Marines when they have an entire ship to cover. If the Marines slow down that means the enemy has more time to pin down their position, set up more heavy weapons in fortified positions, and encircle them. Them bullrushing puts them at risk of ambush by isolated heavy weapons teams, but slowing down increases the risk of the enemy bringing their total strength on them.

I should note that heavily armored ogryn would do much worse in this situation on account of being much worse shots and less tactically adruit. An Ogryn couldn't make superhuman accurate shots the Space Marines have been making, nor would they be drilled enough to pull off the quick tactical maneuvers the Marines did. Like the efficient room clearing or knowing when to pop smoke and take cover.

I also don't see why a heavy gun shield wouldn't be able to stand up to a bolt pistol. A gun shield can be made of heavier armor than infantry armor, and a bolt pistol's penetration powers aren't THAT great. I can easily see it hitting the shield, exploding, but not being able to injure the flak armored crew member behind it.

GabbyDale

Post by GabbyDale »

Last edited by GabbyDale on Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:30 am, edited 6 times in total.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Tempral_Imperial

This latest one might be interesting for anyone pondering ways to visualize psychic powers VS more mundane military tactics in a sci-fi setting.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Loroi Teidar in combat with Umiak-Human hardtroopers.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Two puny psykers almost kicked their asses =p

Ogryns in space marine armor.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Well that battle in part 4 was intense.

Part 5 should be interesting to see what in the sphere?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

NOMAD wrote:Part 5 should be interesting to see what in the sphere?
We will see in 4 months. Hopefully...

Tempral_Imperial

Damn. Episode 5 was a wild ride. I think it rather clarifies that this almost certainly wasn't a "normal" rebellion that got put down. Though the ending quite frankly raises A LOT of questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCcpMW8fSs&t=0s

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

We were having a discussion on Discord about it, opinions vary but my personal one is that the strongest possibilities lay with
SpoilerShow
1) The two orbs being fragments of the Deceiver; the C'tan are 'godlike' and the Deceiver is known to have infiltrated Imperial worlds before for his own goals (to create a new body for the Deceiver when enough fragments would be found). This of course argues that the powers that the orbs exhibited are not 'Warp' in nature.
2) This is a something 'unique' to the setting; the 'golden body' could be a 'Man of Gold' from the Dark Age of technology, they and the subsequent 'Men of Stone' were pivotal in human expansion. If they could somehow tap into the warp for 'interstellar' travel like the navigators do then it fits that these could be 'Abominable Intelligences' with some Warp capabilities. Humanity in the Dark Age of technology was extremely advanced, possibly on par to the Eldar and the Necrons; creating something with an artificial connection to the Warp wasn't beyond them.

What I can say with some certainty is that this wasn't Chaotic in nature. The complete lack of Chaos iconography is proof of that. If there was Chaos Iconography then this would be a Yu'tath Xenos since they were known to psyonically enslave populations by the millions if not by the planets. An other possibility would be of the orbs being Umbras but those use shadows as part of their powers and the Imperium is more than able to easily dispatch Umbras.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

dragoongfa wrote:We were having a discussion on Discord about it, opinions vary but my personal one is that the strongest possibilities lay with
SpoilerShow
1) The two orbs being fragments of the Deceiver; the C'tan are 'godlike' and the Deceiver is known to have infiltrated Imperial worlds before for his own goals (to create a new body for the Deceiver when enough fragments would be found). This of course argues that the powers that the orbs exhibited are not 'Warp' in nature.
2) This is a something 'unique' to the setting; the 'golden body' could be a 'Man of Gold' from the Dark Age of technology, they and the subsequent 'Men of Stone' were pivotal in human expansion. If they could somehow tap into the warp for 'interstellar' travel like the navigators do then it fits that these could be 'Abominable Intelligences' with some Warp capabilities. Humanity in the Dark Age of technology was extremely advanced, possibly on par to the Eldar and the Necrons; creating something with an artificial connection to the Warp wasn't beyond them.

What I can say with some certainty is that this wasn't Chaotic in nature. The complete lack of Chaos iconography is proof of that. If there was Chaos Iconography then this would be a Yu'tath Xenos since they were known to psionically enslave populations by the millions if not by the planets. An other possibility would be of the orbs being Umbras but those use shadows as part of their powers and the Imperium is more than able to easily dispatch Umbras.
SpoilerShow
Hmm... my impression is that the Men of Gold were genetically enhanced humans. Their superior intellect allowed them to craft the Men of Stone (silicon-based sentient computers, hence the "stone") to allow them to spread through space and create technology faster. The tipping point being when said computers started to design other sentient machines that had the added advantage of being mobile (the Men of Iron).
Still... in recent editions, the sketchy information into what humans and their machines could do during the Dark Ages of Technology is quite staggering. Humans were certainly on par with the other races at the time. It's not impossible for these spheres to be some form of lost, arcane technology.

Necron technology is...distinctive. More naked and skeletal (I'm referring to their buildings, no just their troops), less ornate and with a greenish hue generally. This stuff seems almost biological. Seems similar to the manner in which the monster of Medusa was described, though that is considered to have been of Necron origin...