Page 132: Something Interesting

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Page 132: Something Interesting

Post by fredgiblet »

On an unrelated note. The 4chan thread has turned into a Holocaust denial thread.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:On an unrelated note. The 4chan thread has turned into a Holocaust denial thread.
Don't they all?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:On an unrelated note. The 4chan thread has turned into a Holocaust denial thread.
Don't they all?
/pol/, /b/ or even maybe /k/? Sure. But not usually on /tg/.

Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

Nah, /tg/ gets that too these days. Its officially summer now, so it might just be that the teenage /pol/kid numbers are up, but I don't think they're the sole source of it.

Frankly, it makes me miss that guy who drew beards on every Loroi he saw. At least he was doing something interesting that actually involved the comic.

Anyway, with two divisions coming its way, I kind of think the station is going to delay the Umiak forces *at best*. Loroi defensive tactics seem to function off of being able to predict enemy movements (like all other Loroi tactics, really -- if you can psychically project hammers, everything looks like nails), and as such I doubt they rely heavily on large, expensive defensive courier stations when they can respond more efficiently with fast fleets. And the Umiak already "decided" that two divisions was enough; after all, since the couriers have already launched, there's no real need for them to "rush" divisions over to the courier stations unless they feel like they can take the stations with a small unit and handle the in-system fleets at the same time.

StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

Someone made the mistake of mentioning Hitler? Aka Godwined...?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
icekatze wrote:I wonder, do warriors who distinguish themselves, but are killed in the process, get any kind of posthumous benefits? Like, I dunno, better status for children or something. Not that I think that is a necessary motivation for heroic last stands, if human beings are any example, but still a little curious.
She will be remembered and her story retold, which is a chief ambition of the warrior class. But there are no material benefits for the family (who are assumed to be themselves warriors).
Don't worry Icekatze, you will be remembered, just like the crew on the Bellarmine. Apparently our host have a track record of killing of his guest starring buddies... :P

Btw, contemplating upgrading your avatar with the picture in the comic?

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

For some reason i think next page topic will be named "Page 133: Hold my beer..."
edit: or maybe page 134
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Chekist_Felix wrote:For some reason i think next page topic will be named "Page 133: Hold my beer..."
edit: or maybe page 134
I wonder if we'll ever get to see Loroi alcohol.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

orion1836 wrote: I wonder if we'll ever get to see Loroi alcohol.
Loroi ultra-concentrated-activated-mega-blaster coffe. I wonder what will happen when Beryl or Talon drink it...

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Arioch wrote:But Gora Relay as a weapons platform is still fully manned and ready to fight.
Looking forward to it. I expect catching a shuttle while under attack will be quite a dance. :)
novius wrote:I don't know the outcome of one armed Loroi relay station vs. two Umiak divisions.
After seeing the stats on the battle station, I'm willing to wager that the Gora Relay is in a dire situation. But they've got to know that every Umiak ship they destroy here will be one less that someone else will have to deal with later. Maybe reinforcements will show up from Gora at the last second, thanks to the alert, but the battle station seems well suited to a defensive role. It has a lot of point defense, so it ought to at least do okay at shooting down a torpedo barrage, but once the Umiak get into plasma focus range, I think they're going to have a hard time.

Still, performing crazy maneuvers to catch a shuttle might just confuse the Umiak enough to reconsider their tactics.
Sweforce wrote:Don't worry Icekatze, you will be remembered... Btw, contemplating upgrading your avatar with the picture in the comic?
I'll light a lamp. :(

(I am contemplating updating my avatar, but I'll probably make something new.)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

icekatze wrote:Still, performing crazy maneuvers to catch a shuttle might just confuse the Umiak enough to reconsider their tactics.
I don't think a "dancing" station will be something new for the Umiak. The Umiak are very familiar with the Loroi tactical assets, and surely know what such a station can do. If not having had first hand experience already.
They will just wonder why the station is expending their fuel for something like catching a courier shuttle, while the system is under attack.

Well, the comic is about to end. The shuttle crash lands hard on the station, and "Ambassador" Enzin Jardin gets caught unaware and lands unluckily with his head against a bulkhead or similar, and consequently dies. End of story for us observers.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Krulle wrote:They will just wonder why the station is expending their fuel for something like catching a courier shuttle, while the system is under attack.
You are literally just explaining what I said back to me. :P

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And then Klik-27 (?) will ask to be handed over the shuttle and its content...
And make a siege of the station, and possibly bordering the station, a priority.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I think we're going to get a more extended interaction (perhaps in person) with the Umiak and Klicky 27, and I think we're going to find out they are quite different in many regards as we (and the Loroi) have made them out to be. Not that they're going to roll over and surrender, but we're all going to get a different perspective on things soon. IMO.

CJSF

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

cacambo43 wrote:I think we're going to get a more extended interaction (perhaps in person) with the Umiak and Klicky 27, and I think we're going to find out they are quite different in many regards as we (and the Loroi) have made them out to be. Not that they're going to roll over and surrender, but we're all going to get a different perspective on things soon. IMO.
That's right. It won't matter how hard they fight, it won't matter how far they run. The loroi have been stealing Umiak cable for years, and now Klicky 27 is here to collect, dammit!

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

A bit late, but glad to see updates and events speed up! :)

Also, damn~ Beryl seems to have made herself comfortable pretty quick in his lap. I wonder if anyone is gonna call her out on it.

Even better if Tempo walks in on it :lol:

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I'm still confused as to whether a Loroi can or cannot keep thoughts completely to themselves or not.

CJSF

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
cacambo43 wrote:I'm still confused as to whether a Loroi can or cannot keep thoughts completely to themselves or not.
I think the answer is: It's complicated.

I think they technically can choose not to telepathy, and if they are highly skilled enough, they can block other telepathic probing. Although, being a military dictatorship as it is, they probably don't have the right to remain silent when it comes to authority figures.

novius

Post by novius »

icekatze wrote:hi hi
cacambo43 wrote:I'm still confused as to whether a Loroi can or cannot keep thoughts completely to themselves or not.
I think the answer is: It's complicated.

I think they technically can choose not to telepathy, and if they are highly skilled enough, they can block other telepathic probing. Although, being a military dictatorship as it is, they probably don't have the right to remain silent when it comes to authority figures.
Since they have two distinct words - "thoughts" and "sanzai" - I'd say that thinking about something is markedly different to sending. So there won't be a constant 'chatter' of random thoughts flying around whenever Loroi are in a single room and busying themselves with their current tasks, though I wouldn't discount a telepathic 'outburst' whenever a Loroi gets upset or surprised.

Though, Beryl found the phrase 'thinking out loud' hilarious. That could very much mean that the line between private thoughts and thoughts other Loroi could pick up is quite blurred.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Can a human keep their thoughts completely to themselves? Word choice, expressions, body language, eye-line, unguarded comments, all can give part of those thoughts away. The exact content might be obscure, but young children are very very bad at hiding their mood, for instance. With enough practice and self-discipline, a human can get some or all these tells under control and be much less readable, intentionally or automatically.

I imagine it's in principle similar for the Loroi, but the amount that an untrained and unguarded person gives away is much much higher. So it takes more discipline to contain it all.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod