Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Luge

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Luge »

Arioch wrote:Examples of personal possessions could include: personal grooming items (esp. combs), jewelry (mostly limited to items worn in the hair or on the head), tools, weapons, recordings, documents, musical instruments, toys, games, trophies, crafted items, heirlooms, gifts, loot, personal keepsakes, and rare food items or other consumables.
We've seen that Spiral has a rather cool pendant made from a sea monster tooth. A momento from a friend from her training diral.

I used to work on oil rigs, and often the only way to get there was by helicopter, so weight was a big factor. Given that coveralls and all the tools you needed out there were provided for you, all you got to take for your one-month shift had to go into a pair of 10kg (22lbs) bags. Some guys would could bring a guitar instead of one of the bags.

When you take away clothing and everything else is provided for you, you don't need much on a ship to keep yourself sane.

A.

Luge

Post by Luge »

Speaking of which...

This might have come up before but Beryl and several of the other crew have a croissant-shaped pouch on their right thigh. I presume because of the uniform design, this is just the equivalent of a trouser pocket for everyday tools or her scanner?

I've become a bit obsessed with the GURPS sheets recently and Beryl possesses a scanner and a laspistol. She doesn't carry it around all the time (like 21st century military personnel on ships, that would be dangerous and only soldiers acting in a security role would do such a thing), but is it in her backpack that she took on board the shuttle? Is that all of Beryl's personal effects from her cabin?

Soldiers like Reed have a holstered pistol on the left thigh but Fireblade does not, as she has a preference to not carry a physical weapon. Fireblade doesn't bring any luggage at all on the shuttle, or perhaps she did that before Jardin was pulled out of his cell? She's supposed to possess a laspistol and a carbine weapon.

Finally Tempo. I notice Tempo doesn't have the thigh pouch that others do. She does bring a small bag on board the shuttle. Is that all of her personal items, since she doesn't know when/if she'll return to the Tempest?

Thanks!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I forgot about that earlier discussion, oops! Hopefully telepathy would make it easier to sort out who is infected and who isn't, and help prevent such things from reaching an epidemic scale, at least.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Luge wrote:This might have come up before but Beryl and several of the other crew have a croissant-shaped pouch on their right thigh. I presume because of the uniform design, this is just the equivalent of a trouser pocket for everyday tools or her scanner?
The various Loroi armor designs have attachment points for holsters/pouches/whatever on the hips. These can carry weapons or ammunition or tools or personal items or whatever. They're the equivalents of pockets or a purse.
Luge wrote:I've become a bit obsessed with the GURPS sheets recently and Beryl possesses a scanner and a laspistol. She doesn't carry it around all the time (like 21st century military personnel on ships, that would be dangerous and only soldiers acting in a security role would do such a thing), but is it in her backpack that she took on board the shuttle? Is that all of Beryl's personal effects from her cabin?

Soldiers like Reed have a holstered pistol on the left thigh but Fireblade does not, as she has a preference to not carry a physical weapon. Fireblade doesn't bring any luggage at all on the shuttle, or perhaps she did that before Jardin was pulled out of his cell? She's supposed to possess a laspistol and a carbine weapon.

Finally Tempo. I notice Tempo doesn't have the thigh pouch that others do. She does bring a small bag on board the shuttle. Is that all of her personal items, since she doesn't know when/if she'll return to the Tempest?
The pouches and bags that the Loroi brought on board probably represent most or all of their personal belongings, since there is no guarantee that they will ever have the opportunity to return to Tempest.

The equipment lists in the characters sheets are items that the characters might be equipped with, rather than a list of all their personal effects (though I suppose that would be an interesting exercise). Fireblade for example doesn't own any weapons. She has a small pouch that is on her right leg when she's in her duty uniform, and which is on her left hip in the combat armor.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

This might have been discussed before, but other than having a dedicated Mizol minder, do Farseers have any other special sort of 'care and feeding' requirements? For example, due to their abilities, do they normally have to stay more isolated from other Loroi than usual or are they telepathically "louder" and cause other Loroi to give them a wide berth? Are they socially well-adjusted or are they more like savants in our society (brilliant but quirky)?

You mention someone in the huge aggregation of Arioch forum quotes that the Tempest has Farseer and that we haven't met her yet, implying that we will. Though he might not be there when we do, would the Farseer be more disquieted by Alex's utter lack of telepathic presence than the rest of the Loroi because of her sensitivities?

Luge

Post by Luge »

Arioch wrote:The equipment lists in the characters sheets are items that the characters might be equipped with, rather than a list of all their personal effects (though I suppose that would be an interesting exercise). Fireblade for example doesn't own any weapons. She has a small pouch that is on her right leg when she's in her duty uniform, and which is on her left hip in the combat armor.
That makes sense. 21st century military personnel on duty don't generally "own" their weaponry either. Rather, they draw suitable weapons for their role and training from an armoury.

L.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

orion1836 wrote:other than having a dedicated Mizol minder, do Farseers have any other special sort of 'care and feeding' requirements?
Yes. Unfortunately, I can't really elaborate further.

Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

orion1836 wrote: Though he might not be there when we do, would the Farseer be more disquieted by Alex's utter lack of telepathic presence than the rest of the Loroi because of her sensitivities?
My personal bet is that they'd be thrilled. Finally, someone they can hang out with who isn't effectively shouting at them all the time!

Some weird questions on civilians -- Arioch has mentioned previously that civilian industry makes most of Loroi manufacturing, and that civilians can organize themselves into different groups (and get rich by their work). Do different civilian groups compete with each other, and form "brands" with varying popularity within the population? Or is that type of commercial competition not really a thing in Loroi culture?

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Gorbash wrote:
orion1836 wrote: Though he might not be there when we do, would the Farseer be more disquieted by Alex's utter lack of telepathic presence than the rest of the Loroi because of her sensitivities?
My personal bet is that they'd be thrilled. Finally, someone they can hang out with who isn't effectively shouting at them all the time!

Some weird questions on civilians -- Arioch has mentioned previously that civilian industry makes most of Loroi manufacturing, and that civilians can organize themselves into different groups (and get rich by their work). Do different civilian groups compete with each other, and form "brands" with varying popularity within the population? Or is that type of commercial competition not really a thing in Loroi culture?
Loroi-Brand™ Telepanty: When your affections absolutely, positively, must get there instantly.

Arioch wrote:Yes. Unfortunately, I can't really elaborate further.
Kind of figured. Hopefully not as extensive as the Navigators in Dune.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

orion1836 wrote:
Arioch wrote:Yes. Unfortunately, I can't really elaborate further.
Kind of figured. Hopefully not as extensive as the Navigators in Dune.

My money is on extensive cybernetics and/or something telepathically relevant from Perrein.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I seem to recall reading that being a farseer tends to shorten a Loroi's lifespan, but it has been ages ago, so I'm not 100% on that. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the farseer's special requirements involve mind altering drugs, or at least something that is taxing on their physical bodies. Could just be a result of the amplifiers though, since we've been told that they can cause damage too.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Gorbash wrote:
orion1836 wrote:Some weird questions on civilians -- Arioch has mentioned previously that civilian industry makes most of Loroi manufacturing, and that civilians can organize themselves into different groups (and get rich by their work). Do different civilian groups compete with each other, and form "brands" with varying popularity within the population? Or is that type of commercial competition not really a thing in Loroi culture?
Loroi artisans/craftsmen/businesses in the same industry traditionally aggregate together into trade guilds. These would often form effective monopolies, and were often supported (and sometime even enforced) by the local governments, as a useful tool of mercantilism (which seeks to increase the power of the state at the expense of its neighbors by increasing trade surplus through tariffs and other protectionist measures). Unfortunately, monopolies are inherently inefficient, and later contact with other societies (notably the Neridi) exposed the Loroi to more free market practices and their benefits (namely, that trade is not a zero-sum game, and wealth is actually created when different entities are allowed to use their comparative advantages to export goods they are better at producing, and import goods that someone else is better at producing). Over time, more free market policies were introduced into the Loroi system, allowing for more competition and entrepreneurship, but the trade guilds still exist, and the Loroi are still protectionist at heart. Most Loroi civilians still stay in the same profession and guild as their mothers. It's now much easier to start an independent business, but you will have to compete directly against the local guild in the same industry that will be actively working against you.

Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

Arioch wrote: Loroi artisans/craftsmen/businesses in the same industry traditionally aggregate together into trade guilds. These would often form effective monopolies, and were often supported (and sometime even enforced) by the local governments, as a useful tool of mercantilism (which seeks to increase the power of the state at the expense of its neighbors by increasing trade surplus through tariffs and other protectionist measures). Unfortunately, monopolies are inherently inefficient, and later contact with other societies (notably the Neridi) exposed the Loroi to more free market practices and their benefits (namely, that trade is not a zero-sum game, and wealth is actually created when different entities are allowed to use their comparative advantages to export goods they are better at producing, and import goods that someone else is better at producing). Over time, more free market policies were introduced into the Loroi system, allowing for more competition and entrepreneurship, but the trade guilds still exist, and the Loroi are still protectionist at heart. Most Loroi civilians still stay in the same profession and guild as their mothers. It's now much easier to start an independent business, but you will have to compete directly against the local guild in the same industry that will be actively working against you.
So there's a good chance that Earth will rock the Loroi economy with the introduction of franchises, aggressive advertising, and Coca-Cola?

Admittedly, aggressive advertising might not go over well (the Loroi have a strong negative reaction to lying), but competition has made companies on Earth very good at taking advantage of "new" markets. It sounds like the Loroi have some exposure to that already, but Earth corps might have advantages Neridi ones haven't -- such as having worked against a population with a similar general shape, and being able to display themselves as "exotic" (kind of the way fast food restaurants play up their attachment to the US when franchising abroad, such as with KFC and their Thanksgiving dinner special in Japan).

I enjoy the idea of Loroi civilian populations having internal conflicts over "all these damn kids with their crazy Earth music and syrupy sodas and blue jeans!"

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

How much time has passed between pages 119 and 124? Has Alex really assimilated the Loroi alphabet as quickly as it seems? I know - the story needs to move forward, but it seems really quick.

CJSF

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Well, it is still the Trade language, just in a different script. I remember being bored in social studies class so I taught myself how to write English using Greek runes, and I picked it up pretty quickly. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but learning a new alphabet is a lot easier than learning a new language.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

cacambo43 wrote:How much time has passed between pages 119 and 124? Has Alex really assimilated the Loroi alphabet as quickly as it seems? I know - the story needs to move forward, but it seems really quick.

CJSF
Seems like only a few minutes. Even so, he is *very* smart and as Diodri said, Alex knows the language, he's just matching letters.

Even so, he seems uncertain of his translation, so that seems reasonable for someone who has only just started.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

To me it also seems like the actions and conversations between pages 119 and 124 are happening pretty much "in real time". Between Page 119 and 121 it could be a bit longer with Alex writing his "cheat sheet" of the Loroi alphabet, say, maximum 30 minutes, the rest would be "live".

By the way - what is Alex writing his cheat sheet on? I highly doubt it's paper... A piece of plastic foil or cloth, a piece of his undershirt? :D

And one more question - do the Loroi have handwriting, or is everything either digital or listel-ized? Did they have handwriting at some point in the past or they went straight from oral tradition to printed or digital text when they discovered the appropriate Soia tech (the electronic computer)?

One reason for asking is curiosity, the other being that from my perspective the Loroi letters don't appear to lend themselves well to be written by hand. But, since the Loroi write/type from the right to the left, it kind of suggests that they did write by hand at some point, because this direction of text feels "natural" for a left-handed person, most Loroi being left-handed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:How much time has passed between pages 119 and 124? Has Alex really assimilated the Loroi alphabet as quickly as it seems? I know - the story needs to move forward, but it seems really quick.
The narration summarizes Beryl showing Alex how to operate the console, Beryl tutoring him through a demonstration of the Trade script, Alex explaining some English spelling and grammar, and then Beryl and Talon showing him how to use the starmap and system tactical display. This interchange could potentially take the better part of an hour.
entity2636 wrote:By the way - what is Alex writing his cheat sheet on? I highly doubt it's paper... A piece of plastic foil or cloth, a piece of his undershirt?
It's some sort of foil or wrapper that he obtained from the Loroi.
entity2636 wrote:And one more question - do the Loroi have handwriting, or is everything either digital or listel-ized? Did they have handwriting at some point in the past or they went straight from oral tradition to printed or digital text when they discovered the appropriate Soia tech (the electronic computer)?

One reason for asking is curiosity, the other being that from my perspective the Loroi letters don't appear to lend themselves well to be written by hand. But, since the Loroi write/type from the right to the left, it kind of suggests that they did write by hand at some point, because this direction of text feels "natural" for a left-handed person, most Loroi being left-handed.
The Loroi have a variety of different versions of the script, including fancy calligraphic versions that are not commonly used, but the two most basic versions used the comic demonstrate the difference between the block "printed" version and the handwritten version:

Most writing is digital at the time of the comic, but there will still be rare occasions when something is written by hand (such as Alex marking things with his sharpie), and some Loroi signage does use the "handwritten" version. I find myself rarely using handwriting much these days; aside from filling out archaic forms, it's mostly (ironically) using the computer writing out text on images with my digital stylus. And as you can see in the above example, I mostly use a block font rather than a cursive one.

The Soia-era source characters would have been mostly printed or inscribed, and so more like the block font; however, through a large chunk of Loroi history the characters would have been handwritten in some kind of pigment, and so more script-like versions developed.

Not all of our handwriting goes to the extreme of the cursive versions of Roman and Arabic characters; in particular, in East Asian scripts (notably Chinese, Japanese and Korean) the characters do not flow together even in the more calligraphic styles.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Thanks for the info :)
Arioch wrote:Most writing is digital at the time of the comic, but there will still be rare occasions when something is written by hand (such as Alex marking things with his sharpie), and some Loroi signage does use the "handwritten" version. I find myself rarely using handwriting much these days; aside from filling out archaic forms, it's mostly (ironically) using the computer writing out text on images with my digital stylus. And as you can see in the above example, I mostly use a block font rather than a cursive one.
I as manager/engineer find myself both typing a lot and also writing quite a bit by hand on paper, calculations, thoughts, comments on drawings, meeting notes, etc. so handwriting is far from obsolete here and find it both odd and slightly disturbing that a lot of younger people have either poor handwriting, use printed letters when writing by hand, or are very slow at that :) But that's just me I guess, I'm not old but old fashioned.
Arioch wrote:The Soia-era source characters would have been mostly printed or inscribed, and so more like the block font; however, through a large chunk of Loroi history the characters would have been handwritten in some kind of pigment, and so more script-like versions developed.

Not all of our handwriting goes to the extreme of the cursive versions of Roman and Arabic characters; in particular, in East Asian scripts (notably Chinese, Japanese and Korean) the characters do not flow together even in the more calligraphic styles.
I'd say that's a bit of an extreme example. I may be wrong, but isn't it so that, when symbols are used to describe discrete sounds or syllables, as in European and Arabic alphabets, the script generally becomes cursive and flowing as to facilitate fast and smooth writing (basically you have to write down sound as you hear or speak it), but when symbols stand for concepts as in East Asian, ancient Egyptian and other scripts, the script consists of discrete and often complicated hieroglyphs?

The Trade language and Loroi alphabet apparently use symbols for discrete sounds and words appear to be made up of discrete sounds (like Latin) so would it not make sense that for scribbling down quick "sticky notes" and general handwriting etc. the Loroi would also use a fast, easy flowing script? No offense, but your Loroi Hand script looks like drawing printed/block letters by hand which is unnatural, slow and inefficient, like the handwriting of people who have forgotten or never learned how to properly write by hand?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It is my understanding, from the way Han logograms are typed on a keyboard, that they are more like compound letters than they are unique symbols. Each symbol is made up of a few recognizable strokes.