Page 126: Oh my~

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arent

Re: Page 126: Oh my~

Post by Arent »

Arioch wrote:
It's a higher priority right now to get page 127 done, but I'll eventually go back and fix it.
Actually, I expected you not to publish anything for some months now, since rise & fall came out &
I thought you were busy playing that.
But sometimes creating a game/book/music yourself is cooler than just playing/reading the stuff
of others.

Darroth

Post by Darroth »

I see OP and I were of similar thoughts.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote:The proper fix is probably to add her in behind Talon in the second panel of 126.
By the way, is there a way to track such silent updates? Maybe, RSS feed or something?
For now I've wrote a script, that downloads all pages of the comics and compare it with my local backup copy. Found more than 20 updated pages across whole story.
I know this has been an issue, so I'll think of ways to notify for retroactive changes. RSS could work, though it's kind of a pain.
Maybe implement a changelog? XD
Now I have to go back and read from the beginning, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to notice the changes if they are just minor tweaks.

And let me just take a moment to say, I really appreciate you taking the time to engage with the forums. It's really nice to get a peek behind the scenes, and all the extra lore and cultural tidbits we don't get to see in the comics. Poor non-forumites have no idea what they are missing.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Diodri wrote: Now I have to go back and read from the beginning, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to notice the changes if they are just minor tweaks.
Most of the changes was fixing colors on Loroi uniform and turning on their uniform glowing.
Other notable changes are:
  • 001 - Changed intro text;
  • 112 - Changed background scene and view angle;
  • 116 - Fixed ink on Talon's uhm... legs;
  • 117 - Added stars behind window;
  • 119 - Added Beryl before map.
Outsider in Russian

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Regarding Talon's remark that the commander come fish the shuttle: wouldn't there be a risk that Stillstorm is in on that communication loop? I can't wait to hear what Tempo has to say...

CJSF

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Given that the Loroi are not known for having any tact whatsoever, I'm sure that Talon isn't worried about what Stillstorm might think or say. And I suspect that if Stillstorm wasn't preoccupied with other matters, she might appreciate the heads up.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

cacambo43 wrote:Regarding Talon's remark that the commander come fish the shuttle: wouldn't there be a risk that Stillstorm is in on that communication loop? I can't wait to hear what Tempo has to say...

CJSF
I'm thinking it was more of a heads up and not disrespectful. Even the "just have to come fish for her shuttle" might just be the normal way the Loroi would talk about recovering an abandoned vessel in space, though it might not. It also seems to me that Stillstorm would be fine with expending the shuttle in this way (other than the issue of doing so to save Alex, and possibly Tempo and Beryl) due to how she uses the shuttle to move cargo for the strike group and not as a personal vehicle.

On the other hand, it'd be interesting to know what ends up in Talon's personnel file from this - "extremely competent fighter pilot, do NOT let her pilot shuttles." :lol:

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

dragoongfa wrote:I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.
If I channel paranoia around the Mizol, I'm not sure it still wasn't a ploy by Tempo to distract Alex from realizing how bad the situation is for the Loroi and how humanity should clearly join the Umiak. Beryl's extreme expression on the previous page was from Tempo mind-whammying (technical Mizol term) her to walk towards the cockpit, knowing that Tempo's direction to Talon to hit it would have knocked Beryl back onto Alex. The question in my mind is if Tempo miscalculated that this will not be a sexy distracting fall but instead will injure Alex (still distracting him) and he will temporarily be known as Alex "Icepack" Jardin.

I might acknowledge that this may possibly be overly paranoid, but that might be what Tempo wants me to think :shock:

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

I'm going to call it now - Beryl thrashes a bit after landing as an instinctual reaction to being in sudden physical contact. Perhaps her thrashing even injures Alex (such as with an elbow to the chin). When she apologizes later, she explains that physical contact increases the telepathic connection, which is something I'm pretty sure Alex doesn't know yet.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

From Beryl's perspective, I wonder if it must seem like Alex is sending her mixed signals. Happy to see her one minute, then reminding her of the unpleasant first meeting the next minute.

My official prediction is that Alex is going to treat holding Beryl steady as a sensible thing to do while under acceleration, given that there aren't any other available chairs in the command deck, regardless of what he's actually thinking privately; and that Beryl is going to continue getting indications that are simultaneously dismissive and friendly.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

inxsi wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.
If I channel paranoia around the Mizol, I'm not sure it still wasn't a ploy by Tempo to distract Alex from realizing how bad the situation is for the Loroi and how humanity should clearly join the Umiak. Beryl's extreme expression on the previous page was from Tempo mind-whammying (technical Mizol term) her to walk towards the cockpit, knowing that Tempo's direction to Talon to hit it would have knocked Beryl back onto Alex.

I might acknowledge that this may possibly be overly paranoid, but that might be what Tempo wants me to think :shock:
Implausible, and there are much simpler explanations like, for example, Beryl taking a few steps towards the cockpit following Talon and then simply loosing balance as Talon punches it unexpectedly.

Although the thought of Tempo taking control of Beryl to run some small dubious experiment of hers does have some appeal. In the same context, take a look at Tempo's glare at Beryl on Page 108 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider108.html when Beryl is about to spill some beans about the Mizols and she cuts her off. Then on Page 110 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider110.html we see Beryl sleeping tight as if knocked out. First thought I had back then was that Tempo had telepathically knocked Beryl out cold, and, to be honest, if I was in Tempo's place (a spy/intelligence officer with his own ideas on how to run things, what to say and what to not say, especially NOT telling Alex that I might be a spy) I would like to make sure my overly friendly, chatty and honest "colleague" doesn't unintentionally compromise me. I would like to believe that being true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Or, you know...

And bear with me here, this may be a crazy thought...

Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?

I know, I'm talking a huge load of bollocks that's liable to get Jossed so hard Mr. Whedon will show up to do a guest panel focused on someone's boots in short order.

But what if...?

Luge

Post by Luge »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?
Bring the straightjacket; we have a live one here.

A.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Or, you know...

And bear with me here, this may be a crazy thought...

Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?

I know, I'm talking a huge load of bollocks that's liable to get Jossed so hard Mr. Whedon will show up to do a guest panel focused on someone's boots in short order.

But what if...?
Calm down dear, no need to get heated over something like this.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Luge wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?
Bring the straightjacket; we have a live one here.

A.
Sweet jesus. I've only heard about this kind of case in obscure theoretical works.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

It's a case of Chekhov's buttocks. I cheek shown in act 1 better be in someone's lap by act 3.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Turrosh Mak wrote:It's a case of Chekhov's buttocks. I cheek shown in act 1 better be in someone's lap by act 3.
Chekhov's buttocks... perfect. Write it into tvtropes!

Seriously though, nothing will probably come of it outside of light ship tease, but it's still fun to speculate.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Beryl is certainly professional, and shows an above average understanding of tact for a Loroi, but she does look like she's struggling to understand what is normal human behavior. I figure that this is, at very least, an opportunity to have more questions that she'll want answered eventually.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Beryl is certainly professional, and shows an above average understanding of tact for a Loroi, but she does look like she's struggling to understand what is normal human behavior. I figure that this is, at very least, an opportunity to have more questions that she'll want answered eventually.
Much later...

"Captain Jardin, you specifically stated earlier that 'Human males commonly go for extended periods without... mating encounters,' yet you were clearly aroused when I fell on you before. Are you sure you are well? I told you then to notify us before your health concerns became serious. Will accommodations need to be made?" :mrgreen: