Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs 

Post Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs
I am horrible at drawing but i have ideas of designs. But what are the designs that the rest of you are thinking of. Lets see you designs of future TCA Warships and Support Ships and fighters. :ugeek:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Post Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs
Ooooh, ooh, I'm in. Hopping to it.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

well if i can finish my render, ill post it here. though it more of an hybrid than anything

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m51 ... p1_001.png
Btw this is also my into post so wazap outsider ppls.
Also this is not the best model still working on the color scheme.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Terran ship design is going to change rapidly. For one the aliens we rescued are going to influence ship design in terms of internal tech. But the Loroi will also have a big impact on outer aesthetics.

Be interesting to see what kind of hybrid designs we end up with.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Yes your right they will have a significant influence on the design of Terran ships.
however this will most likely be waaaaay down the road unless that is Terran ships are not effective at all against there obviously more advanced alien counterparts.
btw what kind of weapons to Terrans use?
are they energy based or mass drivers / rail guns?
or a mix of the two?

if they use energy weapons the integration of alien tech would probably be much faster as the terrans boost there weapons which are more compatible
where as if they use solid ammunition it would be much slower as ships would have to be totally redesigned to mount the radically different weapon systems

also an a side note remember no matter how advanced your tech is when someone chucks a rock (rail gun round / mass driver) at you its still gonna hurt.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 pm

We don't really have the industrial capacity to start churning out ships. Especially ships with powerful technology we don't fully understand yet. At least until we get up to speed anyway.

IIRC we currently use lasers, missiles and mass drivers. Compared to the ships fighting in the comic, these are peashooters. Thought I don't see any reason why a Terran ship with a refitted power source couldn't mount newer weaponry.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:18 am

Given the Loroi have been at war for a long time and have a fully developed war industry churning out warships that are (thankfully) exceedingly ergonomically correct for humans. If the Human ships are inadequate to modern space warfare I suspect the humans would (like the UK in WWI&II) get a lot of lend lease ships from their new allies (assuming we join the fight).

Strap down some radio rackets, stick human language stickies over the Loroi symbology on the controls and presto! Instant allied space fleet.

Once the humans got the idea I suspect human designed ships would start to appear.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:35 am

yasotay wrote:
Given the Loroi have been at war for a long time and have a fully developed war industry churning out warships that are (thankfully) exceedingly ergonomically correct for humans. If the Human ships are inadequate to modern space warfare I suspect the humans would (like the UK in WWI&II) get a lot of lend lease ships from their new allies (assuming we join the fight).

Strap down some radio rackets, stick human language stickies over the Loroi symbology on the controls and presto! Instant allied space fleet.

Once the humans got the idea I suspect human designed ships would start to appear.

You miss out a point, Loroi are kind of paranoid as a species and would not loan a ship to a species that could use them against them. The only way we would have loroi ship is if we fill secondary role as crew member for exemple, cook, radio operator, surface technician, damage control, etc

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
IIRC we currently use lasers, missiles and mass drivers. Compared to the ships fighting in the comic, these are peashooters. Thought I don't see any reason why a Terran ship with a refitted power source couldn't mount newer weaponry.

well i don't think the human weapons are quite so inferior after all both sides seam to use missiles a lot and you can achieve some truly massive damage with a mass driver if you use it properly. If the shots are moving fast enough they can have effects similar to a detonating nuclear device tho those speeds are very difficult to reach.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 am

Spaceship design depends on the propulsion system. If the "main engine" is kinda ring-shaped we´ll maybe see something like old fashioned flying saucers.

But if we stay to rocket-like engines i could imagine a tetrahedron-shaped ship would do fine at maneuverability.

If the terrans limit themselves to support and logistics the ships would probably look like container vessels, minus the propeller.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 am

hi hi

Mass drivers can certainly get projectiles moving fast enough to cause massive damage should they hit, but it is still nowhere near the speed of light. Beam weapons will typically cut a ship to ribbons before it gets close enough to score a hit with a mass driver. The Loroi use missiles mostly defensively, though I suppose they could sell humanity a few. However, the Loroi don't have enough of a supply to use them offensively themselves, let alone giving them to an ally.

That being said, I think the Loroi could probably part with some kind of blaster technology and not feel too threatened.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Trantor wrote:
Spaceship design depends on the propulsion system. If the "main engine" is kinda ring-shaped we´ll maybe see something like old fashioned flying saucers.

C-57D, baby!

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Arioch wrote:
Trantor wrote:

C-57D, baby!

Forbidden Planet ("Alarm im Weltall" in german) - one of the first scifi-movies i saw!
:D

Another example "of those times" is the Orion-7 ("Raumpatrouille" or french "Comando Spatial - La fantastique aventure de vaisseau ORION"" was a big hit in europe back in the 60ies):

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:55 pm

088 wrote:
Quote:

well i don't think the human weapons are quite so inferior after all both sides seam to use missiles a lot and you can achieve some truly massive damage with a mass driver if you use it properly. If the shots are moving fast enough they can have effects similar to a detonating nuclear device tho those speeds are very difficult to reach.

Human missiles are however much inferior to those of either side being I believe capable of about 10G acceleration meaning that any Loroi or Umiak warship (generally accel ratings of 20G or above) will be able to outrun them easily. And note the sheer number of missiles the Umiak fired and yet none of them penetrated the Loroi point defence, they are primarily used as a distraction to let the Umiak close to their main energy weapon range. Only the Umiak possess the industrial strength to produce missiles in large enough numbers to matter.

Mass Drivers whilst devastating if they hit are by Loroi/Umiak standards pathetically short ranged (whilst they don't loose damage potential with range as the target gets further away the likelihood of it being where the shot is fired drops rapidly). Against the Loroi and probably also the Umiak a current human warship would be destroyed long before it got within effective range of its mass drivers especially given their lack of defensive screens and very slow propulsion systems.

Nick

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:42 pm

captainsmirk wrote:
Against the Loroi and probably also the Umiak a current human warship would be destroyed long before it got within effective range of its mass drivers especially given their lack of defensive screens and very slow propulsion systems.

Would they actually care? i mean other than if the ship is entering your system, both umiak and loroi ship could just move ignoring the human and correcting course as the human waste his ammo.

the only way a mass driver could be useful is if you get a ship in the enemy system. calculate a fire solution to the planet and shoot until it go click. That would force the enemy to intercept the projectile before it hit their planet, during that time you ether close on them and shoot them down while they are busy and/or skip to the next system.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:44 pm
Profile WWW

hi hi

I just came up with an incredibly convoluted way for humans to employ a mass driver against the Umiak. The Loroi have data on the Umiak border systems from some of their previous offensives. All the humans have to do is wait until the jump corridor is eclipsed by a gas giant, then they jump into its shadow and launch a probe. The probe orbits around and gets intel on where all of the Umiak shipyards are located. Then the Terrans fire their railguns at all of the marked targets using math to calculate the trajectory. Then the Terrans crash themselves into the gas giant so they don't give themselves away, cause they'd have to move out from the shadow eventually.

What could possibly go wrong? :roll:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

To start with, the odds that the plane of the planetary orbits happens to concide with the jump vector from the other star are pretty small.

Ignoring that, a gas giant would only shield a tiny sliver of a system from the inbound jump event; you might, say, prevent receivers on Earth from detecting a jump into Sol system if you came in behind Jupiter, but that would assume there are no other detectors in the system. An Umiak border system will, of course, have bases and fleets deployed in many locations.

And, if the gas giant is blocking your line of sight to the target, bending a mass driver projectile around the gas giant without hitting it may present a challenge, especially if it's a very high velocity projectile.

I don't think mass driver rounds designed for ship to ship combat would do any significant damage to a planet with atmosphere... they would probably burn up before reaching the ground.

And I don't see the point of suicide to avoid detection; if you can somehow jump in and launch without being detected, you should be able to turn around and jump out the same way.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile WWW

all good points but a weapon like a mass driver would be most useful against large ships that are in 1. a stable orbit around a stellar object 2. on a strait coarse like a patrol or something or 3. flying right at you

it would be the most use against enemy supply areas or ship yards. as there are a lot of large lumbering supply ships in those areas.
you would need to send a scout into the system ahead of you something small and difficult to detect that could map the best targets in the system.
i dont know if the terrans have any sensors that are faster at this then doing it optically.
then the scout would jump out return to the fleet the various images analyzed for trajectory orbit ect.
then the fleet would jump into system fire at there targets and if they happen to be ships at the points in space they would most likely be at.
inaccurate against anything that is moving actively but deadly against anything on an orbit or stationary.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

What I don't understand is how could a barrage of say a spray of 100kg kinetic-kill mass-driver rounds with explosive-tipped warheads how they could be detected at all really? I mean they are not as big as ...say a 'Volkswagen' or a space fighter. They have no signature... like a drive engine trail {no heat trail}. Whats to determine as any difference from any other flying piece of space rubble or micro meteorite? How would you know they were even on their way? I mean Radar could pick them up... but they are so small... what if you coated each with radar absorbent material or shaped them to be radar scattering? Plus in the volume of space even a dense cloud of gas or dust might be more significant a detectible object other than a barrage of coke-bottle sized explosive projectiles?

I'm no radar technician... but I really don't see how you could possibly even know your being shot at by a mass-driver railgun weapon in space.

Can someone explain?

[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:26 pm

hi hi

Indeed, I did say it was an entirely convoluted plan. As for jumping out the same way you came in, I wasn't sure if the orbital movement of the planet would make the exit vector different enough from the entry vector to throw it off of the ridiculously small sliver window of opportunity. (and this is of course assuming that the Umiak aren't exploiting the gas giant's resources too, which isn't a very good assumption really)

The problem with shooting targets in a stable orbit or patrol craft is that they will detect the weapon launch if nothing else and make some course corrections.

Most mass driver rounds are going to be very hot from the firing process. You could conceivably make a super expensive stealth mass driver round that is made out of space rock and surrounded by a refrigerator sabot which separates after firing and carries all of the heat from the launch with it, but they'd still detect the firing.

They'd also detect any ships jumping into the system and make some basic defensive course changes, or blast them with a laser. In order for that to work they'd have to not detect you jumping into the system or firing somehow. You could conceivably make a sub-luminal warship to launch a sneak attack, but it'd take hundreds of years to arrive, so the war would probably be over by then.

Unfortunately, they don't need to know where the projectiles even are to dodge them. They just need to thrust in a random direction slightly.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Orbital stations and bases are still spacecraft; they have thrusters and can avoid incoming projectiles, if given sufficient warning.

If you didn't detect the ship that launched it, I think mass driver rounds would be difficult to detect by passive sensors, unless you knew what you were looking for. They will give off heat, but against a starfield I don't think this is as easy to detect as Nyrath would have us believe. Active sensors would be harder to defeat, but the range of active radar is probably limited. The problem really is hiding the launching ship.

Something to keep in mind is that a border system is not going to have much in the way of large population centers or other soft targets. These will have long ago moved or been destroyed by raids.

icekatze wrote:
As for jumping out the same way you came in, I wasn't sure if the orbital movement of the planet would make the exit vector different enough from the entry vector to throw it off of the ridiculously small sliver window of opportunity.

Yes, good point.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

they would indeed be extremely difficult to detect also they wouldn't instantly know you arrived and fired either if your firing point were on the edge of a system it would take several hours for the energy to be detected (the races in outsider seam to lack FTL comms so i also suspect they lack FTL sensors) thus they would detect the jump and firing event only several minutes before the shells would be too close to avoid and even if the jumps were detected by a closer ship it would take the same amount of time for them to warn the targets as it would for the targets to spot the event anyway.

and yes several minutes is kind of a lot of time, but for something that must weigh a lot to move out of the way only with maneuvering thrusters is going to be very difficult.

also whats the max speed of a fighter in outsider?

if its fast enough you could effectively have a rail gun round be guided till a few minutes before impact by strapping several impactors to the hull of a fighter to be released once they get close enough to there target to ensure at least some of them hit.
they would have to release and peel off in enough time for the fighters to change coarse as to not hit there target themselves. they could then go into a breaking maneuver and eventually attack the fleet from behind with normal missiles
(when that one guy in mass effect 2 called Isaac newton the deadliest sob in space he wasn't kidding) X3

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:20 pm
Site Admin

088 wrote:
and yes several minutes is kind of a lot of time, but for something that must weigh a lot to move out of the way only with maneuvering thrusters is going to be very difficult.

In order to make a ballistic projectile miss, you only need to alter your projected position by a single ship length. Even with just a few minutes warning, that doesn't take much thrust at all. If you have only 60 seconds of warning, and the target is a 1km long space station, the amount of acceleration you need to make a ballistic projectile miss is:

s = ½at²
a = 2s/t² = 2*1000m/3600s = .5556 m/s² = 0.0567 g

I think 5% of one g is very probably attainable with maneuvering thrusters, even if your space station weighs many thousands of kilotons.

088 wrote:
also whats the max speed of a fighter in outsider?

There's no absolute maximum speed (other than the speed of light), but most fighters won't be able to run at maximum acceleration for more than a few hours, so for a 40g fighter accelerating for 2 hours from a standing start, that's 2,822,400 m/s or almost 1% lightspeed. But that's a one-way trip with no way to maneuver or decelerate afterward.

088 wrote:
if its fast enough you could effectively have a rail gun round be guided till a few minutes before impact by strapping several impactors to the hull of a fighter to be released once they get close enough to there target to ensure at least some of them hit.

If you want a guided missile, you can just use a guided missile. But even with a running start, jumping into the system at 10% lightspeed (which seems unlikely) you're arriving at the system edge, and it takes a long time to cross that distance to the target. If you came in say at about the orbit of Saturn (~10 AU), and your target is in orbit around Earth (1 AU), that's a distance of 80 light minutes. The target won't detect you for an hour and twenty minutes, but after that he still has some 12 hours to prepare for the arrival of the projectiles before they can arrive at 10% lightspeed.

Even if you somehow have a 90% lightspeed projectile, and you're arriving close behind your light waves, the target still has almost 9 minutes to react from that distance.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

To work out what a loroi/human hybrid ship would look like we have to take modern military ships.

First humans would get the plan for a Loroi spaceship.

Then they would upsize it 20% just because its gotta be bigger then anyone elses.

Then they would realise its far easier and cheaper to make straight plates instead of curved sections of hull that need to fit together perfectly part way though construction.

Then they would remove the 3m wide 2m high walkways from the ship, reducing them to hallways where 2 people can barely squeze past each other and everyone has to walk at a crouch and get constant back pain.

They would then remove everything asthetic or otherwise pleasing, such as ripping out the nice plush form fitting loroi chairs and replacing them with bare bones ass numbing metal framed mass produced by the cheapest bidder crap that still has sharp edges and manages to cut you when you stand up or sit down yet inspection of the chair would fail to find the offending edge.

They would then remove any backup or saftey equipment the Loroi had for keeping people alive, unless its related directly to keeping them alive while they fire the weapons, steer the ship, or command it.. then they will only remove HALF of it.

They would then work out the ammount of crew required to operate it.. half it.. and make that normal staffing level and remove the extra bunks/crew areas.

They would then look at loroi turrets and decide why have 2 guns on each turret when you can have 3.

Then they would fill up all that free space with bigger reactor, thicker armor for the hull, 14 missile tubes, and 22 turrets.
Someone would also point out 2 wave looms are better then one.......
So after another 6 months at the drawing board the design will finaly be done.

The fact it took 5 times the resources and 10 times the cost and 20 times as long to produce compared to a loroi ship of around the same size will be ignored as it can take on 3 enemy ships of equal class and win in simulations.

and it would look something like this.

Last edited by BattleRaptor on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 747 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next