Wind and Fire

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Wind and Fire

Post by Snoofman »

Disclaimer: Outsider and any and all related content is the intellectual property of Jim Francis a.k.a. Arioch. Please support Arioch on Patreon.com

This story is merely a fan fiction written for the sake of entertainment and creative writing. Certain characters from the original webcomic may be featured. And while they may not match the characters' actual personalities that Arioch has in mind, I did my best.

Second Disclaimer: this story is a prequel to my fanfic, Dawn, and loosely based on the fan fictions Looking forward to the Mirror and Reforged, which are the works of Dragoongfa.

Commentary and criticism is welcome. If I may ask one thing: do so gently.

A special thanks to all who have read Dawn. A bigger thanks to Arioch for having created an unforgettable sci-fi opera. And a very special thanks to those who have left constructive criticism and motivated me with their appraisal. I hope you enjoy this next installment!

Final note: speech shall be in "quotations". Telepathic conversation shall be in >marks<.

-

Endurance series timeline:
(+) Wind and Fire
(+) Deliverance
(+) Dawn
(+) A Chorus of Stars

-

Wind and Fire - an Outsider fanfiction

-

Grey sat calmly beneath a giant fungal tree with her legs tucked in under her.

>So who do you want to mount when our trials are finished?< her friend, Cliff asked, sitting beside her.

Grey sent back irritated but calmly, >Are you seriously asking me that right now when we’re supposed to be watching out for predators?<

>We have no idea when an animal is coming,< sent Cliff as she fidgeted her legs. It seemed obvious that she was restless and eager for conversation.

>The more you talk, the less focused we get,< Grey informed her annoying friend. Cliff loved to talk and talk. Unlike Grey, who preferred the soothing silence or at least the gentle humming of Perrein’s wilderness.

>Just answer this question and it’ll be the end of it,< Cliff promised. >If our Elders let us lie with the local boys, I’ve got my call on Rhythm. He’s slim with some fine red hair. I also hear he’s unusually rough for a male. Not that I mind. I like a bit of a bad boy. I’ve heard from local gossip how he got locked in his family's cellar for two days because he was running around the village having random encounters. He's even done it in groups I've heard. With civilians even. They say he pounds like a-<

>Please stop sending,< Grey commanded.

A discouraged Cliff dropped her head.

Grey sighed as she kept look out. >Blossom,< she sent. Cliff swung her head up attentively. >I really don’t care who, but I’d like to do it with Blossom.<

>Ugh,< Cliff groaned with exaggerated disgust. >Blossom?<

>What?< sent Grey with an insulted look. >What’s wrong with Blossom?<

>Nothing,< sent Cliff. >Except Blossom’s a bit bland in personality.<

>Maybe bland is how I like it,< Greywind defended. >Besides, Blossom’s nice. Descent. And quiet. Unlike the whoring bad boys you’re determined to get ravaged by.<

Cliff laughed. >I thought the daughter of an influential Mizol would have higher standards- <

>I don’t want to talk about my mother,< Grey sent strictly.

Cliff wanted to apologize, but decided to switch the subject. >Whew, anyway, it is hot today,< Cliff commented as she wiped the sweat from her brow. The giant fungal tree they were resting under was the only thing providing shade from Perrein’s sun. The fungal canopy overhead usually blocked out the strong rays, but this vast area of the fungal forest that their diral was inhabiting for their trial was going through an unusually intense drought. The fungal trees, as a survival mechanism, let their branches wither and crumble first to preserve the trunks. Hence why more sunlight was pouring through. While the diral could dig up plenty of water from deep underground, the drought had forced many of the animals to move on. While a few beasts died from starvation, most of the carcasses were not suitable for loroi consumption.

A loud grumble came from Cliff’s stomach. >I’m hungry.<

Grey scoffed with amusement. >I never knew you when you weren’t.<

>This is the third day we’ve waited without success,< commented Cliff. >Do you think a beast will pass by?<

>Maybe not a grazer,< sent Grey. >But perhaps a predator.<

>What makes you say that?<

Grey held up her hand where a blue cut was sliced into her palm. >Because predators love the scent of blood. And drought makes them especially hungry. When they get hungry, they get desperate.<

>But why do we have to hunt the hard stuff?< Cliff whined. >There’s bound to be some grubs around if we dig deep enough in the fungal trees.<

>I’m sick of eating arthropods,< sent Grey. >Besides, we need to show something of worth to our Elders. So stop whining. If our final presentation entails us digging for grubs, the Elders are not bound to be- <

That train of thought was not finished as something entered Grey’s range of sanzai. Something big. Cliff felt it also and reached for their concealed weapons, which were simply stone daggers.

>Don’t reach for your weapon yet,< said Grey. >A weapon might scare it away. Remember we need to bait it in.<

The presence drew closer in as a furless four-legged stalker came into view. It was twice the size of a loroi with sleak, black skin. Having dark skin was good for staying concealed in the shadows, but this beast stood out in broad daylight and likely was not used to hunting in this manner. The drought likely had compelled it to hunt more desperately. And it had caught sight of Grey and Cliff.

Grey stopped Cliff from reaching for their daggers. >Wait for it!<

The stalker eyed the two loroi as it stood its ground, crouching its head down. Grey could feel telepathically that it was evaluating the environment. The two blue morsels it eyed seemed weak and defenceless. Just as the loroi wanted it to think. For several hundred solons it simply crouched and waited, never tearing its gaze from the two loroi.

Grey could feel the stalker grow eagerly tense. The beast decided that two unprotected loroi was worth the risk. It was preparing to charge, unaware of the trap that had been laid.

With a powerful lunge, the stalker bolted toward them.

Grey sent out, >Now!<

The stalker was closing in on them fast.

>Now!<

The beast was far too close now. Why had the trap not been sprung yet?

“NOW!”

Twelve loroi suddenly sprang forth from beneath the dirt that Grey and Cliff had concealed them under. Dirt and grass flung into the air as the hunters jumped into action with makeshift spears drawn. The stalker jumped with fright from the trap, snarling at the assailants that now surrounded it. The loroi hollered and yelled as they thrusted their spears, trying to strike into its flesh.

Grey and Cliff jumped up from their perch with stone knives drawn. Cliff moved in for the kill.

>Cliff, no!< Grey warned her. >Don't get close! You won’t land a hit! It's too quick.<

But Cliff lunged with her knife drawn. >I can get it in the eye- <

The stalker whipped around aggressively, catching Cliff off guard and lunged for her left leg. Cliff cried in pain as fangs clenched down into her flesh. Audible cracks could be heard as bones were crushed. Stalkers were known to have large, powerful jaws. The stalker tried to make a dash between the assailants with its prey in its jaws, dragging a screaming Cliff by the leg. But two loroi impaled their spears into its sides. One spear pierced the stalker’s ribcage while the other found its way into a hindlimb. The beast collapsed, howling in pain. The loroi could feel its aguish, but cared only about bringing the predator down. The rest of the hunters hurried around the squirming beast as they lunged their spears to end the stalker quickly. The beast writhed in agony until too much blood loss and pierced vital organs finally caused it to lie still.

Grey ran around the now dead stalker and her comrades to unclench the stalker’s jaw from Cliff’s leg. The leg’s skin had been turned into a bloody, mangled mess as blood oozed out over several punctures. Grey could have sworn that she saw bits of bone as well.

>You don’t attack stalkers with a short-range weapon, idiot,< the diral’s team leader, Greenscale, sent. >That is one messed up leg you got.< She seemed almost impressed by the wound the stalker inflicted. A few of the assembled loroi agreed.

>Are you seriously admiring a wound right now when one of ours is hurt?< Grey asked incredulously.

The dull end of Greenscale’s spear was swung around as it smacked Grey across the jaw. >Stop panicking, Grey,< Greenscale commanded insensitively. >It helps nothing. And you will remember your place in this diral.< Greenscale turned back to Cliff. >Someone lay down two spears. Grey, since you seem the most concerned, strip down. We’ll use your clothes as the fabric for the stretcher.<

Grey glared at Greenscale but did not argue. She stripped completely nude out of her tunic and pants and handed them over. Only her boots stayed on. The spears were pushed through either side of the pants’ leggings and stuffed through the tunic. The spears were pierced through the shirt’s shoulders. Grey made to move Cliff onto the makeshift stretcher.

>You drag the meat,< Greenscale ordered Greywind, motioning to the dead stalker. >Stone and Harmony will carry Cliff.<

Cliff groaned in agony as she was plopped onto the stretched by Stone and Harmony. The two lifted Cliff up onboard the stretcher and followed after a triumphant Greenscale.

Grey groaned with frustration as she set to work. She helped the rest of the hunters tie ropes around the dead stalker’s hind legs. The others could not help but cast glances at the naked Grey, but she didn’t care. Grey stood at the back of the queue as the loroi dragged the stalker back to camp. It was going to be a long walk. The sunlight burned her pale skin. She was going to have sunburn later.

Their camp was just an enclosure with a wooden fence and sharp wooden spikes to hinder animals from entering. Numerous cots of moss, leathery skins or fur were laid about on one side of the camp.The diral members slept outside since raining was rare on Perrein. Plus the diral did not need huts to stay warm since the days and nights were always hot. There was no fireplace. The diral could not risk fires during such a drought. Fortunately they had been taught by their Elders how to cure edible meats and fungi using whatever the forest had to offer. Though the drought had limited their options.

As they entered the camp, Grey's fellow diral members were praising and congratulating Greenscale for a successful hunt. Grey shamefully acknowledged that she envied Greenscale for the admiration of the diral. Grey was from a powerful Mizol family. Her mother had birthed six daughters, including Grey, with another on the way. She had high expectations for all her daughters and would accept nothing short of success. Grey had hoped she could earn the role of diral leader to impress her mother, but was exceeded by Greenscale. And while Greenscale was charismatic, strong and intelligent, loved by most of the diral, Grey truly thought she was loveless. The fact that Greenscale admired the wound that the stalker inflicted on Cliff rather than show sympathetic concern was a bad sign to Grey. Almost seemed sociopathic even. Most of the diral did not seem to care what Grey thought. But Grey cared only about the well-being of those that mattered to her. More than honor itself.

Grey was assaulted by laughs and mocking fingers as the rest of the diral were quick to point out her nudity.

"Nice ass, cold stuff," one loroi actually said, inciting more giggles.

Grey ignored them with furrowed eyes, dropped her rope and found her way to Cliff.

Beetlejuice, a loroi who specialized in making medicine from Perrein vegetation, was calmly looking over Cliff’s wound. While she had some Perrein heritage, Beetlejuice was a mixed breed and more likely to become a Doranzer. She was also quite skilled at stitching wounds.

Grey pulled her clothes off of the spears and dressed herself. Her tunic’s shoulders had to be sown, but that could wait. Cliff cried. The pain of her mangled leg was unbearable.

>Grey, can you comfort her?< Beetlejuice asked as she continued to inspect the severity of Cliff’s injury.

Grey nodded and broke taboo as she gently pressed her forehead against Cliff’s. >Don’t worry, Cliff,< she sent through their intensified link. Grey sent tender affection into her friend’s mind, distracting her from the pain. It helped to alleviate Cliff’s agony. >Just breath, Cliff,< Grey instructed. Cliff began to calm down and breathed normally.

>I'm sorry, Grey,< Cliff whimpered. >I messed up.<

>It doesn't matter,< sent Grey as she touched Cliff's cheek. Everyone made mistakes. What mattered is that they survived. Many in the diral considered Grey to be too bold or unorthodox for touching other loroi, but Grey did not care. She would not allow a fellow loroi to suffer alone.

>How bad is it?< Greenscale sent as she approached the trio with Stone and Harmony in tow, drawing Grey out of her embrace with Cliff. Grey avoided using sanzai so as not to voice her negative feelings toward Greenscale.

>Very bad,< Beetlejuice replied. >I can give her some coca leaf anesthetic to ease the pain. But her injury is beyond my skill. Her leg needs surgery.<

>Will she die in two days?<

Beetlejuice was thrown a bit off by such a question. >I… I suppose not, but the injury-<

>Then she’ll be fine. Do the best you can for her.<

>Fine?< Grey sent incredulously to her diral leader. >That leg is not fine. She needs help. We need to call in for help.<

Greenscale matched eyes with Grey. >You want to make us look bad by calling in for our Elders?<

>We can't just let her suffer like this,< sent Grey as she looked a a groaning Cliff.

>Our trial is officially over in two days. Transport will come then,< sent Greenscale, turning her attention to the wounded girl. >You can hold out until then. Right, Cliff? You’re a tough girl. The Elders will be pleased with your resilience.<

>How would you like me to report to our Elders that you neglected a fellow diral member?< Grey threatened.

Greenscale stomped around Beetlejuice and Cliff and backslapped Grey across the face, drawing the attention of the rest of the diral at the commotion. “Two days,” Greenscale said dead serious. >She’ll hold out until then. If you go against my order, you will be punished. Now if Cliff’s pain is too much for you to bear, make do and be useful to Beetlejuice here.<

WIth that said, Greenscale turned tail and went back to the stalker that her diral members were skinning for dinner. Stone and Harmony shot icy stares at Grey as well as they followed after their leader. The rest of the diral resumed their work.

Grey held her fingers to her chin, the sting of Greenscale’s hit still remained.

>There’s nothing you can do, Grey,< sent Beetlejuice kindly. She was the kindest in the diral and one of a few loroi that at least liked her. >We just have to wait. If it gets worse, I’ll insist to Greenscale to call transport. It’s better that you let me do it.<

Grey nodded understandingly.

>Damn, I’m out of coca leaves,< cursed Beetlejuice as she searched her herbal supplies.

>I’ll go get more,< sent Grey as she stood up. She knew where to find more if the drought had not killed them yet.

>Where do you think you're going, Grey?< Greenscale sent as she was carving into the stalker's flesh.

Grey clenched her fists with aggravation but tried to conceal her resentment as she sent, >With the diral leader's permission, Beetlejuice needs more anesthetic. I do not mind going alone so as not to distract the other diral members from their work.<

Greenscale glared at Grey, feeling the contempt that Grey failed to hide, but waved a dismissive hand as she kept carving and skinning the stalker. >Go on then!<

A few of the loroi shot loathing feelings at Grey as she left camp, but she ignored them. Their diral leader had won their admiration with strength and charisma. Earning Grey some of their detestment since they had been rivals since the start of their trials. But it mattered little to Grey now. All she wanted was to pass her examinations. She would deal with her mother's disapproval afterward.

The day was almost over, but it was still hot. The forest looked dry and unhappy beneath Perrein’s merciless sunrays. All around, Grey saw shrivelled mushroom caps and dry, brown moss. Just one light could set this whole area ablaze. As she trudged through the dry forest, she heard a noise. Was it a predator?

“Ma!”

Ma? That was not any animal cry Grey ever heard before.

“Mama!”

It became clear to Grey that that was not the cry of an animal, but a person. Another loroi? But who else could be out here? Their diral was completely isolated. Had someone wandered into their territory?

“Mama!”

Forgetting about finding coca leaves for the moment and followed the voice. Maybe someone was in distress.

>“Who calls?”< Grey shouted out as well as sent. >“Where are you?”<

Grey made her way through the maze of withered and dried fungal trees until she found the source of the cries.

It looked like a child with its back turned to Grey.

“Mama, where are you?” it cried. "Mama, come back!"

Grey carefully approached the strange child. >What are you doing here?< she sent.

The child turned, shocking Grey with its appearance. It was a male. Not like any male Grey had seen before. It had pinkish pale skin with short round ears and dirty blonde hair. Tears stained its pale cheeks.

“Please,” it spoke. It actually spoke a foreign language. And Grey somehow could understand it perfectly. “Please,” it cried again. “I… hiccup… I can’t find my mommy!”

Grey stopped just a few paces away from the alien child. >What is ‘mommy’?< Grey sent.

“My mom,” the child hiccuped in response. Greywind could hear its voice in her ears as well as her mind. Whatever this child creature was, it sent what it spoke. “Please, I can’t find her.”

Her? Grey thought. The 'mom' that this alien child was looking for seemed to be a person. Another loroi perhaps?

The child stood still, unable to stop sniffling as tears ran down its pale cheeks. Grey took a step toward the child. It backed away frightened.

>I’m not going to hurt you,< Grey sent to it. >Let me help you.< She dared another step.

Terrified, the child turned and ran into the dry woods. Grey made to run after it. >Wait come back!< she cried, running through the woods in pursuit.

The world around her suddenly began fading away. Grey kept up her pursuit as the fleeing child slowly faded away along with it. >No! Wait!<

-

“Come back!” Greywind shouted as she shot up in her bed. It took a few seconds for her thoughts and memories to rearrange themselves as she emerged from a dream. Within seconds, Greywind came out of her abstract state of mind and realized she was fully conscious.

Greywind had dreamt about her diral days three centuries prior. That memory was long behind her and she remembered that she now was the Emperor aboard the Cry of the Wind, the mobile imperial capital. The old loroi wiped sweat from her brow as she calmed herself.

>Your highness,< one of her Soroin guards, Deepblack, sent from outside her chamber. >Are you alright?<

Greywind sighed as she came to her senses. It was all just a dream. And it was common for loroi to relive memories in their dreams. An odd thought occurred to the ancient loroi. Since when did she meet a tiny male with pale, pinkish skin? That never happened in her diral training. Something was off.

>Emperor,< Deepblack sent again from outside. >Are you in distress?<

>I’m fine,< Greywind sent back. >Resume your post!<

Greywind rose from floor cot, the blanket falling off her slender form and dressed in her jumpsuit. Her jaw ached, probably from clenching it during her tense dream. The Doranzers recommended, upon her last dental examination, that she should wear a tooth guard to prevent them from cracking. But the feeling of a gummy guard in her mouth was just not comfortable.

Not feeling like fully dressing in her armor, Greywind slipped on some slippers as well as a robe of royal violet and silver. She did not bother to put on her crown or large hair cuff and let her long cape of purple hair to trail freely after her. There was something she had to check on. Something bothering her.

Her attendant, Link, was awakened by one of the guards. Greywind felt through their telepathic bond that Link was struggling to get dressed.

>I don’t require your assistance, Link,< the Emperor ordered. >You may rest.<

Link reluctantly did as instructed. She was so used to being by Greywind’s side for over twenty tozons now that being separated from her Emperor felt awkward.

The old Emperor marched through the cool corridors of Cry of the Wind. The smoky scent of loroi filled her nostrils. Though not unpleasant. Her informal appearance earned a few odd glances from her crew members to see their Emperor out of uniform, who were quick to look ahead so as not to seem disrespectful.

Cry of the Wind was a massive ship that had survived the Umiak War. Built shortly after the loss of Third Emperor Eighth Dawn, the Imperial Flagship of today was mounted with numerous blasters, missile launchers and sported a vast hangar bay capable of housing twenty-six small fighters and shuttles. Aside from being one of the most formidable ships ever built, Cry of the Wind was also home to several delegates representing each race of the Union, who observed and reported everything they witnessed on behalf of the Emperor. As a courtesy to the nations who paid homage to the Empire.

There were also recreational lobbies within the ship where warriors could enjoy games and creativity during their off duty hours. Which the warriors were more than happy to exploit to the fullest ever since the burden of the Great War ended. Greywind could even sense a burst of telepathic hoots as some loroi underlings were enjoying a simulation of Shell Crusher. A personal favorite among many, but with disturbingly graphic realism.

Greywind could also not help but feel, amidst the telepathic gossips, of a few loroi circulating some lewd thoughts. And they included some rather tasteless, imaginary depictions of a certain male currently aboard her ship. The only male bearing loroi resemblance, in point of fact. During the Great War, Greywind had arranged for loroi males of good status and demeanor to serve aboard her ship to satisfy her crew’s lustful urges. Meant as an act of kindness, the loroi aboard her ship deserved a final tender moment with a male in their arms should their next battle with Umiak be their last. However, since the long conflict’s end, Greywind had discharged the males from duty and redirected the crew’s focus to military service and recreation. They would have plenty of opportunities to mate during the ship’s next docking. While Greywind was not as lustful now as in her youth, she did miss some tender encounters. But she had a Union to rebuild and an a new outsider nation to deal with. Copulation was the least of her priorities.

With her overbearing authority, Greywind sent out a telepathic command to her Unsheathed, awake and on duty, to correct those lewd loroi at once. However seemingly harmless those lewd depictions, Greywind was not about to allow discord to grow aboard her ship. The fact that they desired a male of such young age was grotesque.

It was that single male that Greywind was in a hurry to see. She found her way eventually to the delegate dorms, where the alien envoys rested. Stopping in front of one door, Greywind touched the side panel and the door slid open.

Inside the room was a pink-haired Observer trying to calm a whimpering prepubescent. The one that somehow found his way into Greywind’s dreams.

>Emperor,< Listel Cotton sent as she stood at attention. >I was not expecting you at this hour.<

>I was awakened,< sent Greywind. >By a disturbance.<

>Your highness, what disturbance?< Cotton inquired curiously.

Greywind switched her gaze to the male within the room. Tears stained his pale cheeks as he stared back at the Emperor with blue, timid eyes. Listel Cotton had been charged with overseeing his well-being and to report any abnormalities he might experience. That’s why the Listel shared the same room with him. The room was unusually warm, but had to be set that way so the little male didn’t suffer hypothermia.

>Listel, have you noticed anything strange about our little guest here?< Greywind enquired.

>Only that he seemed to be suffering some subconscious distress, your highness,< replied Cotton. >Most likely a nightmare. He kept crying in his sleep, ‘Ma! Ma!’ and wouldn't stop screaming. I thought it necessary to wake him.<

>What does ‘Ma’ mean?<

>If my interpretation is correct, I believe that he was calling for his mother.<

The Emperor eyed the human suspiciously. >Anything else?< She did not want to share what she saw and heard in her dream.

Listel Cotton thought a moment. >No, my Emperor.<

Greywind's unblinking gaze did not leave the human. >Nothing at all?<

>Nothing,< Cotton answered.

The little human shrunk slightly under the Emperor’s probing stare as she took a step forward.

How did you get into my dreams, boy? Greywind thought to herself so as not to alarm the Listel. Her gaze narrowed askance. What are you hiding?

Her foot stepped on a doll lying on the floor. The old Emperor picked it up. It was the human’s toy and only possession aside from the clothes on his back that had been brought on board. The Emperor had considered disposing of the slightly melted and charred plastic biped, but decided against it upon the Listel’s insistence.

The little human sniffled. More tears rolled down his cheeks as he eyed the filthy toy. It seemed clear he wanted his toy back but was too frightened to voice it.

Feeble little thing, Greywind thought pitifully as she stepped closer to the boy’s cot and offered the toy back to him. Hesitantly the human took the toy in his tiny hand. Greywind deliberately let her index finger touch against his skin to elicit a reaction. Aside from physical contact, there was none. No telepathy. Not even a burst of alien emotions that her mind could register.

Releasing a sigh, Greywind unhanded the doll and sent to Listel Cotton, >Keep me informed of any changes you notice.<

>As you wish, Emperor,< Cotton bowed.

Greywind turned to exit the room.

“Feign ku.”

Greywind stopped in her tracks and swirled around. The little male whispered something.

He repeated more audibly, “Feign ku.”

>What is it saying?< Greywind asked.

>He’s speaking English, my Emperor,< said Cotton as she sat back down with the human. >He means to say, ‘thank you’.<

The little human performed one last gesture with his hand directed at Greywind, much to the Emperor’s confusion. Greywind simply turned and left the room, her long cape of purple hair following after.

“It’s alright, Ben,” Cotton assured the human as she laid a blanket over him. “Go back to sleep.”

The door slid shut after Greywind.

Within a few paces, the Emperor stopped in the corridor and sent to Listel Cotton, >What does this gesture mean?< She sent a telepathic image of the gesture the human performed when he put his hand to his mouth.

>Oh, I believe that is what humans call, ‘blowing a kiss,’< Cotton sent back.

>‘Blowing a kiss?'<

>A human way of sending affection.<

>How uncanny,< said Greywind and marched back to her personal chambers.

Upon returning, Greywind stripped out of her robe and slippers and lay back on her cot. With a deep inhale, Greywind willed herself to relax as she breathed out. But try as she might, the old Emperor could not go back to sleep. Because even in her tired state, Greywind could not stop thinking about the little boy residing on her ship. The one that somehow found its way into her subconscious mind. That primitive, sneaky, lotai-concealed, golden haired, blue-eyed, defenceless little thing.

Blow a kiss.

Curiously, Greywind brought her own hand to her mouth, gestured her fingers forward and slightly pursed her blue lips with an exhale. She wondered, how is this minor gesture supposed to send affection?
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Krulle

Re: Wind and Fire

Post by Krulle »

Wonderful.

I already like this.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Nice, I'd say it is after the great war with Umiaks.
What timescale are we talking about?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 pm
Nice, I'd say it is after the great war with Umiaks.
What timescale are we talking about?
It is after the Great War. I have not quite decided yet, but I am leaning toward thirteen or fourteen years after the Great War. The sequel to this, 'Dawn', takes place about twenty years after the Great War.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 1

-

Two days earlier…

There is never rest for a warrior. Even in peacetime, or what is relatively peace, warriors of every position, rank or order must be on alert and quick for action. Though that does not mean a warrior cannot have some peace of mind occasionally.

While Torrai Azerein Greywind rarely ever had rest outside her off-duty hours, she did have some peace of mind ever since the Loroi and Union triumphed over the Hierarchy thirteen years prior. It would take many years or perhaps even decades before the trauma and scars of the Great War faded away as the Loroi and other races rebuilt and expanded into former Hierarchy territory, but they could do so comfortably and proudly without the fear of destruction looming over them.

There were political members both within and without Greywind’s political cabinet that insisted that the Emperor should remain at the Imperial Seat of Deinar to lower interstellar travel costs as well as make the Emperor’s workflow more efficient, but Greywind preferred to manage her affairs while on the move. While interstellar travel was costly, it helped get results faster. The Emperor found throughout her brief reign of thirty-three years (brief by loroi standards) that she could resolve a planet’s or region’s problems faster simply by ‘being there’ and enacting her executive powers. And legislative. And judicial. Not to mention her imperial presence had an inspiring and intimidating effect on loroi and aliens.

Which is why the Emperor had returned to Taben. Ever since crushing her opposition within the Council, Greywind was intent on securing the allegiances of every Commander holding political offices across the Sister Worlds and other colonies. Taben had often been the source of dissent every since Deinar scouts arrived here centuries prior. She met with Torrai Rizeladi Oceantide to receive a personal update on where Taben stood as well as reaffirm the Governor’s oath of obedience to the Fourth Emperor and the central authority of Deinar. Oceantide was a member of the Axis Faction, much to Greywind’s disapproval.

Greywind had hoped that, following her ascension to the throne, she would be able to more easily oust the insurgents that seemed often to stem from Taben. However, Taben provided the most competent of Tenoin warriors and a reliable source of fish and edible algae. Something the Emperor needed to fuel the war effort against the Umiak Hierarchy. Though the Emperor distrusted many Tabenids, Oceantide was obedient and promised to meet quotas; both in supplying new Tenoins to replace those lost during the Great War and aquatic food. In exchange the Emperor allowed Taben to keep some of its autonomy.

Ever since the war’s end, Greywind was eager to implement a plan of action to completely absorb Taben into the imperial alliance. But Governor Oceantide had warned the Emperor that doing so would be catastrophic. Tabenids were stubbornly defiant. Hence why the planet still lacked a unifying government. The Governor gave constant assurances that she would publicly dissuade the local populace (especially the Belerids) from subverting central imperial authority.

Greywind conceded. She still did not trust members of the Axis Faction, but Oceantide was the most reasonable among them. In exchange for meeting food quotas and allowing some of Deinar’s Guilds to enter Taben’s fishing industry, the Emperor agreed to the Governor’s terms to allow Taben some of its own autonomy and self-rule. And that included hindering the Mizol’s influence within Taben politics, much to Greywind’s dismay. The Intelligence Community on Taben was limited to investigating crime.

>They are bloody stubborn,< Greywind despaired, staring out of the window of her hover car.

>Tabenids are Loroi after all,< sent Torrai Torimor Tempo, sitting across from the Emperor.

Greywind rolled her eyes. >Like I need reminding. Taben’s desire for self-rule is delusional. If they simply yielded to the central authority, we could solve their problems more efficiently.<

>People are slow to change, your highness,< sent Tempo. >To impose the full might of imperial rule would more likely make the Tabenids feel threatened than to inspire them. Change must be slow.<

Greywind sighed. As much as she wanted to argue, Tempo was correct. The veteran from the Charred Steppes was wise beyond her years. Hence why the Emperor promoted her to be her personal ambassador as well as secretary.

Now that the Emperor had finished her meeting with the Governor, she was eager to return to Cry of the Wind. Now they and the Emperor's armed escort were on their way to Soladra's space port, where the Emperor's personal shuttle waited for them. Belerid weather had certainly not been welcoming during Greywind's visit. Greywind would trade that continent's turbulent winds and intermittent rain for Perrien's blistering heat any day. The tropical climate of the Amenal Islands on the other hand, including Soladra, suited Greywind just fine. Soladra's city was small. Puny even compared to some of Deinar's towers. But most of Amenal's habitats lay underwater. Amenal Loroi outperformed the Belerids in regards to scientific advancement and engineering.

A beep came from Tempo's comm. Tempo silently inspected the message before sending, >Pardon me, Emperor. But there seems to be an urgent call from the local Mizol office of Soladra.<

>Odd,< Greywind commented. >Put it through.<

Tempo tapped a command, allowing the message to go through to the Emperor's personal comm. The holographic image of a Mizol appeared above the Emperor's wrist.

“This is Torrai Azerein Greywind speaking,” spoke Greywind. “Who may I ask is contacting me?”

“Greetings, Torrai Azerein Greywind,” the Mizol replied. “I am Mizol Rizoiszit Intoner. I am from the criminal investigations department and apologize for interrupting your important duties. I do not wish to take up your precious-”

“Get to the point,” Greywind said firmly. She did not like people wasting her time.

The Mizol on the communicator cleared her throat. “Your highness, I’ll try to be brief. About three days ago, we received intel concerning gangers and insurgents conducting illegal activities here in Amenal. A team of Fighters and Sentinels were deployed to subdue and, if necessary, eliminate the gangers. Most of them escaped, a few killed, but we managed to capture two of the criminals.”

“While I have dealt with gangers during my time as a Mizol Operative and Intelligence Officer,” said Greywind, “I fail to see what this case has to do with political matters.”

“These gangers are working with Eternal Endurance, your highness. Who, by the way, was here on Taben. Exactly at the time our team raided the ganger hideout.”

Greywind was silent a moment as the name sunk in. “You have my attention, Mizol Intoner.”

“As I said, the criminals are in our custody, your highness, and currently under interrogation-”

"What about Eternal Endurance? You said she is here on Taben. Did you capture her?"

"Sadly no, Emperor. But we have alerted Soroins and Mizols all across Taben to stay on alert."

“I see,” said Greywind. Eternal Endurance was one of the most elusive criminals within the Union. The investigative branch of the Mizol Caste were hard at work to track her and her associates. “You were wise to contact and alert me. Extract whatever you can from the prisoners. Compile a report and send it to me. Continue your search.”

“Excuse me, but there is more, Emperor,” interjected Intoner. “The loroi we dispatched also found and rescued a human in the gangers’ possession.”

This seemed mildly intriguing. “A human? Possessed as their captive?”

“We believe so, Emperor,” Intoner answered.

“And why would gangers hold a human as a captive? Unless this human was in fact conniving with the criminals.”

“We don’t believe so, Emperor. In fact, we suspect that this particular human is a victim of sapient trafficking.”

That revelation caused Greywind and the loroi within the hover car to raise astonished eyebrows. While the loroi were familiar with sapient trafficking, this was the first time they heard of a human being trafficked.

“Where is the human now?” asked Greywind.

“Safely in our custody,” Intoner replied. “And being treated respectfully, I assure you, your highness.”

“Can you arrange for this human's transport to the Soladra Space Port?”

“That-” Intoner hesitated. "I believe so, your highness."

“Good, make it happen. You will be granted clearance upon arrival."

Intoner offered her formal salutations before Greywind ended the transmission.

>Emperor,< sent Tempo, >are you sure that is wise to let a human near your person?<

>I am surrounded by the finest guards and Teidars in all the Union, Tempo,< Greywind answered. >And escorted by a veteran of the Charred Steppes. What could one human possibly do to me?<

>I suppose you're right. But what do you want with it?<

>This human captive, whoever it is, may have some insightful information.<

Most humans within the Union resided on border worlds. All living within the Union for emissary work or corporate trade. There were petitions by the Guilds for more humans to be admitted to strengthen the labor force, but the Elder Council was reluctant to admit more humans into Union territory.

Greywind and her escort arrived at the Soladra Space Port. The Emperor was escorted to her personal shuttle where they waited for Mizol Intoner in the hangar. A Mizol Senior Analyst was granted entry and approached the Emperor's company.

MIzol Intoner stepped forward and bowed. >Greetings, Emperor. I am Mizol Parat Intoner and am honored to be in your presence.<

Greywind cut straight to business, "We are pressed for time and must return to the mobile capital, Mizol. So we must make this quick. Where is the human?"

Mizol Intoner grunted, >With my two associates waiting to be cleared by your security. Emperor, before you proceed, I ought to warn you that the human-<

>We will deal with the human as we see fit,< Greywind sent firmly. >Now bring it forward.<

The order was sent to grant Intoner's comrades and the human entry. The Emperor stood formerly to her full height, anticipating a large male. She and her escort were dumbfounded as the Mizols came with a tiny creature that barely came up to their waists. A Praetorian stood close by the Emperor's side, eyeing the little thing most distrustfully.

Greywind sent as the escort stopped within a few paces of the Emperor and her company, >It's a child.<

>Yes, Emperor,< Intoner confirmed. >This is the human we rescued.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I have edited Chapter 1 a bit. Instead of ordering a transfer of the two gangers, the gangers remain on Taben and the Emperor merely demands a compiled report and further updates. I also added that Eternal Endurance was briefly on Taben.

One last change was that aside from colony worlds along the Union border, only planets Maia and Deinar have a small human presence. Perrein and Taben in this story have none.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 2

-

Greywind remembered her first meeting with Alexander Jardin, the first official human the loroi encountered. While she had been disappointed to learn that his rank, Ensign, was the lowest among the Terran Naval Forces, Ensign had the tactical brilliance of a commander. Though she became very suspicious upon learning that he was secretly conversing with a ‘pocket’ Historian. A revelation that might have jeoprodized relations between loroi and humanity had ‘Enzin’ Jardin not carried himself with the strength of a warrior, while retaining the empathy and understanding of a professional diplomat. And the fact that it was Jardin, along with his protective escort of loroi, that uncovered the Umiak’s plot to overrun the Union with overwhelming force and the cause of the enemy’s lotai. While there were a few other human-loroi contacts happening at the time that the Great War was reaching its end, it was Alexander’s first meeting with the loroi that left the greatest impression on the Union and the Emperor herself.

The old Emperor remembered when Alexander was first welcomed onto her ship and he introduced her to the human game Chess. While human males traditionally held positions of power throughout most of human history, Greywind thought it ironic as well as intriguing that the most powerful piece of the Chess game represented a female monarch. And that all the pieces of the game, including the ‘Queen’, were meant to be deployed or sacrificed to protect the weakest piece; the male monarch. All while trying to ‘claim’ the opponent’s ‘King’. A strategical philosophy reminiscent of the loroi’s long history of war and conquest.

She was mildly surprised how Jardin easily beat her in what he called the ‘two-move checkmate’ strategy, but struck back upon demanding a rematch. During their game, Greywind silently studied Alexander. Even under his effortless lotai, Greywind could see that he was chipper, charismatic but secretly had a sharp mind. While Greywind never smiled, she inwardly was amused when Alexander used flattery occasionaly. Something that earned him the unwanted attention of some young loroi girls that would have loved to mount him. He gladly answered all questions, but was clever not to give away too much. Which made him as well as their game unpredictable. As intriguing as Alexander’s unpredictable nature was, that also made him potentially dangerous. Along with the Terran Colonial Authority. Indeed that seemed to be what the loroi generally feared about humans. A flawed, unextraodinary species, with barely enough firepower to defend against a single loroi Strike Group, with an unbreakable ‘mask’. The fact that their presence could not even be detected led to the inception of a loroi joke that humans were ‘emptier than Shells’. A sentiment reminiscent of the more callous Council Members and Torrais that were eager to subjugate the humans. Quite violently in fact.

For the moment, that all seemed to pale to Greywind’s awkwardness at being in the presence of the human child now in her custody. After his transfer by the Mizols, the little human was taken with Greywind’s company aboard her personal shuttle. For the whole journey he didn’t say a word. Just sat in timid silence as Tempo strapped him into a seat a few aisles behind the Emperor.

The Loroi jumped with fright as the human squeeled as the shuttle left the hangar and began its ascent to Taben’s orbit.

>What is that smell?< a Praetorian complained. >Stars, I think it’s coming from that human.<

>What would you expect?< sent Tempo. >The human has been in captivity with gangers. No surprise that they failed to clean him.<

>Him?< the Praetorian questioned. >You regard that alien as a male?<

>Alien or not, he is a male,< sent Tempo. >And in need of our protection.<

The shuttle’s rumble settled down as it breeched Taben’s gravity well. Artificial gravity was activated as the shuttle entered flight mode and began its rendezvous with Cry of the Wind.

The Emperor unstrapped herself and proceeded to the human sitting in the back with Tempo. She sat across the aisle from him as she took note of his appearance. A small boy with tattered, filthy clothes. His face was caked in dirty smudges. His dirty blonde hair was greasy. The most distinguishing feature were his blue eyes. They looked up timidly to meet the Emperor’s own cerulean gaze.

The Emperor’s nostrils were affronted by his odor. >Stars,< Greywind cursed, though refrained from moving her hand to her nose. How long had this human gone without a bath? >Attendant Link, try to clean the human.<

Link complied, returning shortly with some wash clothes.

The human flinched away as Link unstrapped him from his seat. “It’s alright,” she said gently in Trade. “I won’t hurt you.” Link soothingly wiped the boy’s brow, washing away the sludge and dirt. While he still seemed tense, he allowed Link to gently wipe his face.

>It shouldn’t walk around in those filthy scraps,< commented Greywind on the human’s attire.

>I will make arrangements for someone to properly clean and clothe him once we arrive at the mobile capital,< sent Tempo.

>Good.<

While Link cleaned the human, he rolled his doll around in his hands. The same he had with him when the Mizols found him.

>What is that toy in its hands?< Greywind asked.

>I don’t know,< sent Tempo. >Perhaps a marionette representing a legendary, human figure.<

Link finished washing the boy. It was pleasant to see him a little cleaner.

>We don’t even know its spoken name,< sent Greywind. >Tempo, you speak the English language, no?<

>Not as well as a Listel,< Tempo answered. >But I can speak some basic words and phrases.<

>Get it to talk,< said Greywind. >I want a name.<

Tempo nodded and turned her attention to the human sitting beside her. “Hello, little human,” Tempo said in English. “What have you name?”

The human shot his head up. It seemed obvious that he recognized the language.

“What have you name?” Tempo asked again. But the boy didn’t answer. “You have name. Right? Tell me name?”

Still no response as he stared back wide-eyed. Greywind watched cooly as Tempo tried to get him to talk.

“Tempo,” the Mizol said as she patted her chest in emphasis. “I have name Tempo.” She pointed to the Attendant. “Her name… Link. Link!” She motioned to Greywind, but hesitated. “Emperor,” she said formerly. “She is called Emperor.”

The boy still gave no reply.

“We want help you,” said Tempo. She knew her English needed improvement. “Be not afraid, little human. You… are… safe here. We take you home. We help you. But you must talk. What have you name?”

When no answer was given, Tempo sighed with defeat as she held her head in her palm. >This is going to take some work,< sent Tempo.

“B-B-Ben.”

Tempo looked up again at the human. “What say you?”

The human stuttered, struggling to find his voice. “B-B-Ben.”

“Ben?” asked Tempo. “Your name is Ben?”

The human physically nodded. “I…I… I’m Ben,” he spoke meekly.

>Ben?< thought Greywind. She never heard the name before. >What does that name mean?<

>I don’t know,< admitted Tempo. >But at least he’s speaking.<

>I seem to remember from a conversation with a Listel,< Link spontaneously commented. >She told me that ‘Ben’ in a language called Japanese has several meanings. It could mean, ‘valve’, ‘petal’, or may even be a verb ‘to dispose of’.<

>Thank you, Attendant,< sent Tempo. >But I don’t think that helps a child that doesn’t seem to speak a foreign language.<

Link bowed her head. >Apologies.<

>Find out where the human comes from,< sent Greywind.

Tempo focused on the human again. “Ben, where is your home? Where you come from?”

Ben was silent a moment as he processed Tempo’s words. “G-Grind.”

Tempo raised a curious eyebrow. “Grind? Is ‘Grind’ home? Your home?”

Ben gazed down at the floor and nodded his head. The Loroi recognized that as a human gesture for confirmation.

Tempo continued, “Ben, you know where you are now?”

No answer.

“Ben… do you know what… planet is?”

Ben nodded.

“Ben, this planet called Taben. ‘Grind’ is planet? Is ‘Grind’ your home planet?”

The boy hesitated but nodded.

“Ben, why you come to Taben? How you come to Taben?”

“Th-they brought me here,” Ben said meekly.

“Who? Who brought you?”

“P-people,” Ben sniffled.

“What people?” Was it the gangers? Other humans? Tempo could not be sure. “Ben, I not understand. Who? Who are people?”

Ben sniffled some more. His eyes turned bleary.

“Ben, please,” Tempo urged him. “Who bring you to Taben? Who are people?”

“Mom,” Ben choked on the word, unable to hold back the tears. “I want Mom.”

“Mom?” asked Tempo. “Who is Mom?”

Ben became unresponsive as tears rolled down his cheeks. His grip loosened on the doll as it landed on the floor. Link looked at the poor human with sympathy and extracted a handkerchief to wipe his face.

Tempo sighed. >I’m sorry, Emperor, but I think that is all we’re going to get for the moment. If I press him to hard-<

>Say no more,< sent Greywind. >Once it calms down, perhaps we may learn something else. At least we have a name and a place of origin.<

As Link comforted Ben, Tempo picked up the toy to hand it back.

>Let me see that toy,< sent Greywind.

Tempo handed it over the aisle to the Emperor. Greywind rolled the doll around in her hands as she thoroughly examined its features. It was fashioned in the image of a muscular male with pale skin and black hair, equipped with a blue jumpsuit and red boots. A crimson cape was draped over its shoulders. Upon its chest was a red diamond confining an S-shaped insignia overlapping a yellow background. The toy itself was in poor condition, smeared with oil stains and its head slightly melted. Even a few Praetorians eyed the object suspiciously.

I wonder who this is supposed to depict, thought Greywind. She handed the doll back to Tempo who handed it back to Ben who started to calm down again.

>Emperor, perhaps the human might benefit from a view of Taben,< Link suggested.

Greywind permitted it.

“Come, Ben,” Link said with a grin. “Come with me. I want to show you something.”

Ben reluctantly followed Link to a shielded window. With a tap of a button, the shield was drawn back, giving the Loroi and human a clear view of Taben’s bent horizon. Ben, mesmerised by the sight, pressed his hands and face against the pane and watched as thin layers of clouds, the city lights of the Amenal islands and endless blue ocean roll by beneath.

Greywind walked up to the pair. She bent her head over to see Ben’s awestruck face.

“Look there, Ben,” said Tempo, who joined them. She pointed toward the many ships high up in Taben’s orbit. “You see that? That is our fleet. We go there.”

“Wow,” Ben uttered in wonder as he gazed the Emperor’s fleet.

A message from Tenoin Brightpearl came from the cockpit, >Attention. We are about to commence docking with Cry of the Wind. Please return to your seats.<

Link closed the shield to the window. Ben was guided by Tempo back to his seat. The Loroi took their places as well. Ben gripped his armrests anxiously as the shuttle rumbled and shook as the shuttle made its approach.

Cry of the Wind’s docking bay was flooded with atmosphere as the docking bay doors were sealed following the shuttle’s return. The Loroi unstrapped themselves, heading toward the exit. Ben was led by Tempo who ushered him forward from behind. The company waited patiently for the umbilical to attach to the exit door.

A rustling drew the Loroi’s attention to the human. Including Greywind as she turned around and locked her unblinking stare onto Ben, who had wandered behind the Emperor and knelt on the floor to admire her long cape of violet hair. The loroi, uncertain of how to respond, simply fidgeted and looked at each other and their Emperor for instruction.

>Emperor,< sent a Praetorian. >Should we-<

>Just leave it alone,< Greywind sent, her intense stare not leaving Ben.

Link meant to stop Ben as he picked up the Emperor’s purple bundle in his hands. Greywind commanded her to stop as she watched the human. Her purple hair flopped as Ben waved it up and down like a curtain. One of the Praetorians suppressed a giggle at the adorable display, earning her a scorning.

Ben became bolder as he began gently sniffing the Emperor’s long hair. It all seemed like a harmless gesture of curiosity… until Ben pressed his face into the soft purple cape and snorted audibly, taking in the pleasant scent of Greywind’s hair.

Greywind’s eyes went wide as she was stunned by the human’s boldness. Were it not for her years of mental discipline and learning to contain her emotions, her infuriation might have exploded.

Tempo made to stop Ben, but hesitated as he inhaled sharply, as if he were having an allergic reaction. The other loroi froze, uncertain of how to respond, as Ben made several more nervous inhalations.

“Achoo!”

Ben unleashed a mighty sneeze along with drops of saliva and mucus that embedded themselves into Greywind’s elegant hair.

Astonishment and numb anger froze the Emperor in place even when Tempo grabbed Ben by the arms, admonishing him, “No, Ben! No touch!” Incredible how this little human had just done what no loroi of inferior rank would dare do to the Emperor.

>Please forgive, Emperor,< sent Tempo nervously as she pulled Ben to the other side of the lift. >I’m sure he meant no harm.<

>Indeed!< an angry and revolted Greywind fumed as she irritably whipped her hair to the side. >How revolting!<

>Don’t worry, your highness,< Link assured her. >I’ll be sure to wash your hair thoroughly once we are aboard Cry of the Wind.<

>I should hope so,< Greywind grumbled, eager for the umbilical to attach to the shuttle already.

One of the Praetorians struggled to keep her thoughts to herself and fought the urge to burst into laughter.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 3

-

A day passed.

Greywind yawned as she awoke from her slumber. She rose from her bed, stepped into the center of the room and called for Attendant Link. Within solons, Link entered the Emperor’s chambers and began her daily cleaning routines while Greywind performed her morning stretches. Muscles flexed and bone joints cracked as Greywind extended and bent her limbs.

Link stripped the bed of its dirty linens while Greywind stretched, dumping them into the laundry shoot and fitting the bed with fresh covers. She proceeded to the Emperor’s kitchenette and set water to boil.

While Link prepared the Emperor's morning tea, Greywind stripped out of her jumpsuit, tossed it in the laundry shoot and fitted herself with a fresh one from her wardrobe concealed behind a wall panel. Unlike conventional wardrobes that consisted of furniture occupying space in a room, Greywind’s dresser was built into the wall itself. Even the drawers of her dresser, containing accessories, jewellery, tattoo markers and cosmetics, were built into the wall to conserve space in Greywind’s quarters.

While attendants were meant to assist with the Emperor’s every need, Greywind still preferred to prep herself to some degree.

The flowery tea finished brewing and Link handed the bottle of hot fluid to the Emperor. Greywind sat with her legs folded under in front of a digital mirror, also part of her dresser, and enjoyed her tea while Link combed her long hair. Upon returning to the Cry of the Wind yesterday, Link washed and rinsed it thoroughly after Ben had contaminated it. While loroi had strong immune systems for interstellar contact, Greywind had also paid a visit to the Doranzers for an evaluation, which confirmed she was in good health.

>I wonder what the little human’s status is,< sent Greywind as she sipped her hot tea.

>I can send out a request for an update, your highness,< Link offered as she finished combing Greywind’s long purple cape.

>No need,< said Greywind, taking another sip. >Listel Cotton has been instructed to inform me of any changes or abnormalities. Besides, we will arrive at Azimol within a few weeks. There will be time to find out more about our little guest.<

Link said no more as she applied a light layer of makeup over Greywind’s cheeks. Greywind did not particularly like makeup, but it was necessary for appearances’ sake. A few strokes of eyeliner and a light smear of purple lipstick later, Link was finished applying cosmetics and helped Greywind into her armor. As soon as her armor was clipped on, Link slid on Greywind’s hair cuff.

Greywind left the comfort of her chambers behind. She sent out a message for Tempo as she strode through the ship’s vast corridors with Link in tow. Many moments later, Tempo arrived.

>Hello, Emperor,< sent Tempo with a bow. >I hope you rested well.<

>I have,< said Greywind.

Tempo strode beside her as they proceeded through the halls. Tempo looked through her data pad and reviewed the day’s errands. While there were not many meetings or events to be hosted while Cry of the Wind was in transit between systems, there were still documents to sign and commands to be carried out across the buoy network. All to maintain order and control across the Empire.

>Ah, we have a new deployment request from Torrai Duskcrown,< said Tempo reading over the Cry of the Wind’s incoming messages on her pad.

>Strange,< thought Greywind. >I thought the Nissek had ceased incursions since their civil war ended.< Ever since fewer ships were needed to patrol and safeguard the former Umiak territories, Duskcrown and her sector fleet had been entrusted with watching over Dinnan Sector to ensure that the Nissek did not try to expand around Maoren Sector and incur within Union territory. Ever since the Nisseks’ civil conflicts had ended, a new treaty had been signed to ensure friendlier terms between the two empires. But trust was slow to build with a nation of sapient-eating lizards.

>Actually this is a deployment request to deal with human raiders coming from the Wastelands,< said Tempo.

>More pirate attacks along the border?< sent Greywind.

>Not just the border. According to Duskcrown and her Mizol Intel, there have been sightings of raider vessels deeper in Union territory.<

That surprised Greywind. >How is that possible? Even with lotai, the raiders should not be able to sneak past a solar system’s security checkpoints.<

>According to intel provided by the Mizols within Dinnan Sector, Emperor, the raider ships seem to slip through checkpoints with stolen, digital ID-tags.<

>ID-tags?< asked Greywind. >How could human raiders get their hands on ID-tags?<

>We don’t know,< Tempo admitted. >It’s possible that the raiders somehow got their hands on ID-tags from Union freighters they hijacked.<

>But the Buoy Network’s ship registry should be updated in the event that Union vessels are compromised, Tempo.<

Tempo nodded. >Technically, yes. But perhaps the pirates have created counterfeits from the stolen ID-tags. Whatever the case, the senior analysts of the Mizols are hard at work to find out.<

>I should grant the request,< sent Greywind. >But Duskcrown’s regard for humanity is belligerent at best. I want it perfectly clear to Duskcrown to engage pirate ships only. No Terran friendly vessels. I have not fostered peace and cooperation with humanity for eighteen tozons just to watch it crumble.<

>I understand your concern, Emperor,< Tempo said sincerely. >We can compose a set of conditions to be sent along with your approval.<

>Very good,< sent Greywind. >And, if these human raiders have indeed acquired counterfeited ID-tags, then it could mean that the humans either stole it, or it was given to them.<

>But what warrior would in their right mind betray us and give the raiders such a thing?<

Greywind pondered a moment. >I wonder if that little human aboard our ship could provide insight.<

Tempo raised a curious eyebrow. >You mean Ben? Emperor, I’m not sure if a child can provide precise information.<

>The human could at least give us a clue. Remember, it was found on a planet where it wasn’t supposed to be. In the gangers’ possession. It’s possible that it was abducted by human raiders, who in turn traded the human with the gangers.<

Tempo looked at her Emperor as a realization dawned on her. >Emperor, are you suggesting that the human raiders and gangers are trading with each other?<

Greywind nodded.

>Intriguing,< sent Tempo. >But it seems doubtful that raiders and gangers would spend fuel and jump many lightyears just to trade for a human.<

>Maybe the human was not the only thing those criminals wished to trade,< said Greywind. >If raiders and gangers are indeed trading with each other, it’s possible that they are exchanging more practical goods and materials. Ben may have simply been a premium item among their purchases. A perk. On top of that, we don’t know if Ben was the only human the gangers were trafficking. Remember, the gangers on Taben escaped with some of their assets.<

>So it’s possible that there is a small human trafficking scheme being implemented by the gangers,< Tempo said thoughtfully. >Poor human. Unlike loroi who raise children collectively at creches, human parents exclusively raise their children on their own. The manner in which humans are raised is odd… inefficient even. But, ultimately, humans are not loroi. Human children imprint strongly upon their parents. It is necessary for them to form strong social bonds. I’ve read stories about human children becoming traumatized after being torn away by their parents.< Tempo could not help but sympathize with the little human. >I can only imagine how lonely and terrified Ben must have felt as their captive.<

>The human will be fine,< said Greywind. >Believe me, there are far worse fates for children…< For the briefest of moments, Greywind thought back on her own childhood. About her rough upbringing in her Mizol family and her time in the diral. The viciousness of Greenscale. The harshness of Perrein’s fungal jungles. The brutal heat of the drought. The winds that surprisingly only seemed to cultivate the hot air. While most within the troop survived the trial, not everyone…

The old Emperor was quick to suppress and conceal these things from her past. They did not matter for the moment. Greywind recomposed herself and sent, >Whatever the case, Ben may not be able to provide precise intelligence. But it can at least give us the clue we need to confirm our theory. We shall just ask it some questions, derive what we can and then be done with it.<

Tempo nodded. >I… understand, your highness. Respectfully, I ask only that you leave the verbal inquiry to me. After all, he is only a child and, as you saw yesterday, quite sensitive.<

>I am a mother, Tempo,< sent Greywind a bit indignant. >Do you think I do not understand the delicate nature of a child?<

Tempo realized her arrogant presumption and bowed. >Forgive me, Emperor. How thoughtless of me.<

Greywind waved a dismissive hand. >In any case, perhaps the human is less intimidated by you. Very well.<

They proceeded through the corridors to find Ben.

-

“Life takes you to unexpected places. Love brings you home.”

Even for a young child, Ben understood the importance of those words. The words that his mother told him during one of their last moments when she sat on the edge of his cot and patted his golden head. A few days ago, they were on a ship together heading for their new home. Until the aliens boarded their ship and took Ben away. He had no idea what they did to his mother or the rest of the crew.

For days, Ben was a captive, being moved from one place to the next with no idea where he was or where he was going. Then, one day, as he was tied and stuffed into a flying van, the armored people with blue skin and pointy ears came. They surprised Ben when they removed his gag and restraints. And took him to a new place, giving him water and food. Their food was not the best, but it was better than what his kidnappers gave him.

The most intriguing of these blue people was a tall, weird one with her glowing crown and long, purple hair. So long that Ben initially thought it was a cape at first, like the one his action figure wore. Ben could not fight the urge to touch it. Even smell it. It had a pleasant minty scent. While he was scared of the blue people at first, these new blue people seemed kind. They took him to their floating car, cleaned him up and got him some new clothes. They even took him to space aboard their awesomely, gigantic spaceship.

While they moved through the hallways of the ship, Ben saw more of the armored blues walking to and fro, casting him odd glances. But the people escorting him were nothing but kind. A little scary, but nice. They gave him food. Real, delicious food that he could eat. They even brought him to a bath with many small tubs where he finally got washed up. Although he bashfully covered his eyes most of the time to avoid looking at the naked blue women in there. When they finished cleaning him, they gave Ben a bedroom with a nice, warm bed. Even while living with his mother on Grind, Ben never slept in a comfier bed.

Now Ben was sitting in a room where they were conducting a medical examination. The blue-skinned doctors checked his throat, his ears, eyes, measured his body weight and conducted all manner of examinations. The most unpleasant part was when they took a blood sample, making him cry from the pain of the needle.

“POOPHEADS!” Ben shouted at them through tears.

“Calm down, Ben,” said Cotton, the blue lady in purple armor who was placed in charge of watching over him. And one of the few that spoke fluent English. She gave him a bottle with a sweet liquid which he drank down. The sweet taste distracting him from the pain. Ben moaned tearfully as the sting faded and he sucked the last drop of sweetener.

“Feeling better?”

Ben nodded as he handed the bottle back to Cotton. “Thank you, Cotton,” he said as he wiped his mouth with his arm. “You’re a nice, blue lady.”

Cotton smiled at his innocent ignorance. “Ben, we’re not called blue ladies. We are loroi.” She extracted a cloth and wiped the tears from his face.

Ben nodded. “Okay.” Ben kicked his feet as he sat on the infirmary bed. The Doranzers were checking the computers nearby while Cotton stood close by. “Cotton?”

“Yes, Ben?” Cotton tossed the cloth away into a bin.

“Is your pink hair really pink?”

Cotton raised a confused eyebrow. “I’m sorry. I don’t understand.”

“I mean… do you color your hair pink? Or is it just like that?”

Cotton chuckled. “My hair is naturally pink, Ben.”

“Can I feel it?”

Cotton was a little taken aback by such a bold request, but understood that Ben was merely a curious child. “I suppose that’s fine.” Ben seemed harmless anyway.

Cotton knelt down to Ben’s head level as the boy ran his fingers through her pink strands. Feeling a warm hand on her head was a bizarrely pleasant sensation for Cotton. The little human seemed so gentle.

“Cool,” said Ben, admiring the alien woman. “I wish I had funky hair like yours. And your skin is really cold too.”

“Your hand seems very warm,” Cotton complimented him with a smile.

One of the Doranzers returned with a datapad after checking the results of Ben’s vitals and blood test.

Ben thought it bizarre that they talked with each other without even opening their mouths. Sanzai was another mystery that Ben learnt about the loroi.

“What are you guys talking about?” Ben asked.

Cotton turned back to Ben. “Doranzer Clearwater, here, is telling me about your test results.” she answered.

“Am I sick?”

“No, no, Ben. Your body is just a bit undernourished.” It was beneficial that Cry of the Wind's stock of Delrias foods was agreeable with human anatomy, or Ben might have been in dietary trouble.

“Basically,” Cotton continued, “you need some more food so your body weight is healthy. Other than that, you seem to have no sickness or ailments. Although, according to Clearwater, you seem to have an iron deficiency.”

Ben tilted his head curiously. “What does that mean?”

Cotton sighed. She did not mind teaching, but it was challenging to explain so much verbally. “In your blood, there are red blood cells which are important for carrying oxygen. But your blood cells also need iron to work properly. You also need iron to grow and be strong. So, we are going to arrange for your food to have more iron.”

The idea of chewing metal sent shivers down Ben’s spine. “Iron in my food? But I don’t eat metal.”

Clearwater could not help but chuckle at the boy’s ignorance. “No, Ben, I don’t mean we will put chunks of metal into your food. I mean we shall give you food that already has higher iron content.”

“Oh,” said Ben, partially understanding what the loroi scientist was trying to convey. “So… you’re gonna’ give me food with more iron because I have an… ir-on def-icien-cy.”

Cotton nodded with an amused grin. Children could be silly but sweet. “Exactly, Ben. Well said.”

The doors to the infirmary slid open as Greywind entered with Tempo and Link.

Ben was intimidated by the presence of the Emperor, as she was called. But he could not help but look at her with a bit of admiration and said simply, “Hi, Emperor.”

Greywind stopped mid stride as the little alien informally addressed her. >What did it just say to me?< she asked in sanzai.

>‘Hi’ is a simple way of greeting among humans, Emperor,< sent Tempo.

>Oh.<

Greywind simply said back, with the aid of Listel Cotton, “Greetings… human.”

Ben turned his focus to the other loroi. “Hi, Tempo. Hey, Link.”

Link could not help but smile at the human’s trivial but sweet gesture. Tempo politely grinned and said, “Hello, Ben.” Also with the aid of Listel Cotton since Tempo’s own English needed improvement, she went on, “We would like to ask you-”

“Guess what!” Ben interrupted the Mizol.

Tempo looked confused at Ben. “W-what?”

Ben grinned as he pronounced his revelation, “I have an iron deficiency.”

Tempo raised a curious eyebrow at Listel Cotton.

>I informed Ben of his health assessment,< sent Cotton.

Tempo sighed. Children, even alien ones, could be silly. “That’s… fascinating, Ben,” said Tempo. “But we need you to concentrate. We want to ask you some questions.”

“Okay,” said Ben. “Do you know where my mom is?”

“That is one of the things we want to talk to you about,” Tempo told a partial truth. Ben did not need to know about the criminals they were trying to trace. “Come with us. We’ll talk in an office.”

Ben shrugged as he hopped off the bed. “Okay. Can we do something fun afterward?”

That left Tempo awkward. Loroi on duty did not have time for fun. “Ben, I… I don’t think we have time-”

“Fun?” Greywind interjected as she took a step toward the little human. With Listel Cotton’s aid, she spoke a heavily accented English with a slightly raspy voice. “What… mean… you… fun?”

Ben thought a moment. “Well… I don’t know. Is there something awesome on this ship?” Cotton translated to the Emperor on Ben’s behalf.

Greywind knelt down and met the human in the eyes. Eyes that were remarkably blue like her own. “I… make… deal… with… you.” Ben was intrigued as he listened closely to Greywind. “Answer… questions… then… we… show… you… something… awesome. Very awesome.”

“Wow,” said a mesmerized Ben. “What is it?”

“I… not… tell. It… is… surprise. But… you… will… like.”

Ben nodded. “Okay then!”

“Come! Follow,” she commanded, rising to her full height and turned toward the exit.

Tempo, Link, and Cotton followed after her with Ben taking the Listel’s hand as he was lead along. But he stopped and walked over to the Doranzers and looked up at them.

“Sorry for calling you ‘poopheads’,” he said sincerely.

>Listel Cotton, please translate,< sent Doranzer Clearwater.

Cotton awkwardly sent. >He is apologizing for his earlier insult… by comparing your heads to excrement.<

Doranzer Clearwater sighed as she bent her head forward to meet with Ben’s “I accept your apology,” she said. But was momentarily stunned as Ben stepped forward to kiss her blue cheek.

The little human strode back to Listel Cotton and followed the loroi out of the infirmary.

It took the Doranzers several moments to bring Clearwater back to her senses as she recovered from the physical contact. >Doranzer Clearwater, are you well?< they sent worriedly.

>I’m fine,< Clearwater replied as she touched the place the human pecked, her cheeks turning a deep shade of blue.

-

Greywind, Tempo, Link and Cotton sat together at a table in one of the few conference rooms aboard Cry of the Wind. Ben was given a bottle of water to stay hydrated.

“Now, Ben,” said Tempo, receiving telepathic assistance from Cotton to improve her English vocabulary. “We don't know where your mother is. Searching for an individual across many planets can be tricky. So here's what we shall do. Tell us about yourself. That way, we may learn something that can help us find her. Can you do that for us?"

"Okay," said Ben.

"Excellent," said Tempo. "Let’s start with where you come from. You said your home is called ‘Grind’. Is that right?”

Ben nodded from his seat as he sipped some water.

“Where is Grind?”

Ben shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Is Grind a colony world”

“Yup.”

“In Terran Colonial Space?”

Ben didn’t seem to understand and shrugged.

That seemed odd to the loroi. Shouldn’t a human know about the TCA?

“Is Grind located in the Great Wastelands?” Tempo asked. "Does the Terran Scout Corps have a presence there?"

Ben seemed to get distracted as he shrugged and looked away.

Greywind could not help but sigh with a little frustration. She had met loroi children barely two tozons old who could easily navigate a star chart. >It seems awfully clueless, even for a human, Parat Tempo,< she sent.

>Forgive my interjection,< sent Listel Cotton. >But human children do not have fully developed brains. Therefore it’s difficult for them to understand complex ideas. Attention span can also be short. Parat Tempo, I advice you to use ‘small’ words. Speak with Ben in a simple way.<

Tempo changed her approach and continued, “Ben, tell us about your home. What was Grind like?”

Ben was quiet a moment but told them about his home, “There wasn’t really much on Grind. Everywhere looked like a black desert. We couldn’t breath the air outside, so we stayed inside the village mostly.”

“Tell us about the village,” said Tempo.

Ben shrugged. “There wasn’t much. It was built under a glass dome. Glass made of plastic. Everybody lived in metal houses. My mom and I lived in one metal house. We didn’t have much. Our home is just one room. We even shared a bed. I didn’t really like it. But I was happy with my mom. She loved me.”

>I cannot help but feel that Ben most likely lived in what can be construed as poverty,< sent Tempo.

>On a human colony?< Greywind asked astounded. While humanity was still lagging behind technologically, she never heard of an impoverished human colony. Then again, there were still many mysteries about humanity.

Tempo carried on, “Ben, tell us about you mother. What was her name?”

“Mom’s name is Lagertha,” said Ben.

Tempo was expecting a family name. “Lagertha who?”

Ben shrugged. “She was just Lagertha.”

“Ben, what is your family name?”

“I don’t have one.”

While there were many strange things about humans, this seemed most unusual to the assembled loroi. Even they knew that humans had at least two names. A personal name and a family name. For a child to not know their own family name seemed odd.

“Ben, what was your mother, Lagertha, like?”

“She was nice,” said Ben as he kicked his feet under the desk. “ She was tall with long, blonde hair. We didn’t have much, but she played with me when she was home. She would read me stories from a few books or magazines she brought with her from Earth. She’d show me pictures from a cool magazine called ‘National Geographic’. The pictures had neat stuff like elephants, jungles, temples or weird people that I never seen before. Sometimes we watched movies together. Mostly about Earth. Last year, she gave me toy she got from one of her trips. It was Superman.”

Tempo raised a curious eyebrow. “Superman?” She looked toward Listel Cotton who drew a blank. “You mean that toy you have?”

Ben nodded. “Yeah, Superman is a superhero,” said an enthusiastic Ben. “He’s from planet Krypton. And he’s super strong, flies around and fights bad guys and saves people. And he can see through objects with x-ray vision and can shoot lasers from his eyes!”

The bemused loroi looked at each other, amazed by a bold claim that such a being existed.

>What’s a superhero?< sent Greywind, a bit concerned. The power of this 'Superman' seemed to surpass that of an Unsheathed. >Do the humans possess some superior breed of warrior that we are not aware of? And why have the humans never revealed the existence of this colony world, Krypton?<

>Oh!< sent Cotton as she realised something. >I believe this ‘Superman’ the human refers to is more like a legendary warrior like the ‘Tempest’. He does not exist. It should also be noted that humans have written expansive tales of fiction for entertainment. This ‘Superman’ is most likely a product of one of those fictional tales. Humanity does not seem to possess any form of superior warrior breed. Or a colony world called Krypton.<

The loroi sighed with both relief and frustration. Humans could be confusing in what they told.

>How childish and disappointing,< sent Greywind. She was beginning to have second thoughts about interviewing the human. >But we’re getting distracted. Tempo, carry on!<

“Ben, you said your mother was from Earth,” said Tempo. “Where exactly?”

“She said she came from a country called Sweden. She moved away when she was young because she wanted to explore space. She told me about the many worlds she visited.”

“What worlds?”

Ben shrugged. “I don’t remember.”

“Ben, what did your mother do for work?”

“Mom was in charge of an ore mine. Sometimes she would have to leave home to fly to another world somewhere and leave me with her friends.”

>Ore mine?< sent Tempo.

>A mine rich with metallic elements,< Cotton sent back.

>Oh,< said Tempo. “Ben, is that what Grind was? A mining colony? Did the humans there dig up ore to sell to other humans?”

Ben shrugged. “I guess.”

“You guess?” That did not sound very reassuring to Tempo. “Ben, did you ever see the mine where your mother worked?”

Ben shook his head. “The mine was far from the village. Kids like me were not allowed to go.”

“How many children lived at the village?”

Ben shrugged. “I only met eight other kids. Some were my friends.”

“And did any of the other… kids… go outside?”

Ben shook his head. “We weren’t allowed.”

This sounded quite odd. Tempo could understand the children had to be protected from the inhabitable zone outside their ‘village’. But it seemed as if the children were being caged up. Then again there were still many things about human culture she didn’t understand.

“Ben, you said your mother left home sometimes to fly to other worlds,” said Tempo. “Why?”

Ben shrugged. “I don’t know. I wanted to go with her, but I wasn’t allowed.”

“Do you know where she went? Or what she did on these trips?”

Ben shook his head. “No. But one time, I remember when she came back from a long trip. She looked hurt. Like someone punched her in the face. I wanted to comfort her, but she pushed me away and started taking some beers from our fridge.” According to the Listel, ‘beer’ was an alcoholic beverage. Some humans, apparently, abused this substance to fight off stress and trauma. “She drank and started getting angry. She even yelled at me and told me to leave her alone.”

>Low tide,< Link could not help but think aloud. For a female to show disinterest or aggression to a small male was sacrilege to a loroi.

Ben sniffed as he wiped his nose, his head dropping sadly. “But later, she started crying and saying that she was sorry. She wished she could give us a better life. I just hugged her and told her I loved her.”

“I… I’m sorry to hear that Ben,” Tempo said sincerely.

Even Greywind could not help but pity the little human. But it seemed like they were wasting time and sent, >Tempo, I don’t think we can learn anything more useful about Grind. Find out how Ben was captured by the gangers.<

Tempo complied and spoke, “It’s alright Ben. Just calm down.”

Ben sniffled more, wiping his runny nose and trying to fight the tears. Listen Cotton extracted something from her pocket and unwrapped it. It was a sweet cake. Tempo made to protest, but the Listel assured her it was safe for human consumption.

>Eating sweets is soothing for human children,< sent Cotton and handed it to the little human. “Here, Ben, eat this. It’ll make you feel better.”

Ben took the sweet cake and munched it. He slowly calmed back down.

“Let’s change the subject,” said Tempo. ”Ben, I understand if it’s sad to talk about, but we need to know this. If you weren’t allowed to leave Grind, how did you arrive on Taben?”

Ben sniffed one last time as he devoured the sweet cake. “Well, one day, my mom came back from a trip and told me we were leaving Grind.”

“Where were you going?”

“Mom said we were going to Earth to start a new life. She said things were going to be better. I was so excited that we were leaving Grind. I couldn’t wait to get there. I wanted to see everything on Earth. I wanted to see the elephants in Africa. I wanted to see Hollywood, where they made movies. I wanted to go to Sweden, where mom came from.”

“That seems very nice,” said Tempo, not quite understanding the things and places Ben described. “But you didn’t make it?”

Ben shook his head sadly.

“Why didn’t you make it, Ben?”

“During the trip, some aliens came onto our ship.”

“What did these aliens look like?”

“They were big. And scary. They were covered in fur, had claws and four ears.”

>Delrias!< Greywind deduced.

“What did these big aliens do, Ben?”

“They took me and the kids away,” said Ben, fighting the urge to cry.

“What happened to your mother? What happened to the adults?”

“I don’t know,” Ben almost choked on the words. “They just took us off the ship, put us in a room on their ship.”

“Where did the big aliens take you, Ben?”

“I don’t know,” said Ben as he sniffled. “They kept us in the room. All they gave us was food and water. The kids stuck together, trying to be brave. But we were so scared. But then they came, tied our hands and moved us into another ship that took us down to an alien planet.”

“Do you mean Taben?”

Ben nodded. “The aliens kept moving us. Soon we came to a place with lots of boats and big boxes.”

“You mean the harbor?”

Ben nodded. “There we met some new aliens. Other loroi. The two aliens talked with each other while some of the loroi started separating us.”

“The loroi who took you separated you from the other children?”

“Yes,” Ben said with a sniffle, wiping his nose. “They put me in a floating van and locked me inside. But then you guys came. You saved me.”

Tempo smiled at the little human. “We are good loroi, Ben. What those aliens did to you was terrible. But you are safe with us.”

>Most likely the gangers separated the children in the event that one ganger group was caught,< Greywind commented. >So they could still profit from the other humans that the authorities failed to find. We should send back a message to the Mizols on Taben to strengthen their search for the gangers. If we’re lucky, we may also rescue the captured humans.<

>Arrangements will be made, Emperor,< Tempo assured her.

>Listel Cotton,< sent Greywind. >I trust that assigning you another task will not hinder you from caring for our little guest here.<

>Not at all, Emperor,< sent Cotton confidently.

>Then I want you to find the location of this colony world, Grind. It’s possible that our archives are not updated.<

>You can count on me, your highness.<

Greywind turned back to he senior analyst. >According to Ben's testimony here, it seems that human raiders were not responsible for his abduction, Tempo. However, it seems we have some Delrias to hunt. I want Mizols to commence an investigation into Delrias shipping immediately. Find any Delrias ships that have been travelling outside of Union territory or are experiencing delays. Those are our leads.<

>Understood, Emperor,< sent Tempo. >But what about Ambassador Kablon?<

Ambassador Kablon was a Delrias emissary who resided on Cry of the Wind to report what she saw to her fellow Delrias.

>We will have a word with Kablon when the time is right,< sent Greywind. >She is a dignified Delrias who conducts herself honorably. I doubt Kablon is aware of Delrias abducting humans. But even so, if we inform her of this, she is likely to report to her Delrias associates. We do not know whether or not there are Delrias within their plutocracy that are involved with these crimes. If they are alerted, catching the criminals may become harder. First we gather more intel. Then take action when it is appropriate. Keep Kablon unaware.<

Tempo nodded. >Emperor, do you have anymore questions for Ben?<

Greywind looked at Ben but decided they had enough. >The human has been quite cooperative. I think we have learned all we can… for now at least.<

Tempo turned her focus on the human again. “Thank you, Ben, for answering our questions.”

“Emperor?” asked Ben, locking eyes with Greywind. “Will you find my mom?”

Greywind answered, “We… will… try.”

“Ben,” Tempo drew his attention. “You have to be patient. We will bring you home safely. We promise. Until then, just enjoy the journey.”

Ben nodded.

Greywind and the other loroi rose from their seats.

“Wait,” said Ben as he jumped from his seat, facing the Emperor. “What about the surprise?”

“Ben, the Emperor and I have lots of work to do,” said Tempo. “But we promise that you will see the… ‘surprise’ when we are able.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow,” said Greywind stepping around the table.

“Promise?” Ben looked up with pleading eyes at Greywind.

“……Promise,” said Greywind,

Ben shot forward his hand up to Greywind and enthusiastically said, “Deal!”

Greywind looked down at the little hand apprehensively. >What is this hand gesture the human does?< sent Greywind to Cotton.

>Apparently, humans not only greet, but also forge deals by clasping hands,< the Listel responded.

Tempo was about to inform Ben that it was not appropriate to touch the Emperor, until Greywind clasped his smaller hand with her blue one. The little human was warm to the touch. Ben vigorously shook her arm, as if physically emphasizing that he was going to hold her to their bargain.

>Quite the little deal broker, isn’t it?< an amused Greywind thought.

>I apologize on the human’s behalf, you highness,< sent Tempo. >I’ll be sure to have a word with Ben about loroi mannerisms.<

Greywind just released the human’s little hand and left the conference room with Tempo and Link.

“Come, Ben,” Cotton said as she took Ben by the hand and led him to the ship’s kitchen. “You must be hungry. Let’s find you something to eat.”

What Ben did not realize was that Tempo was sending to Greywind as they strode through the corridors, >Emperor, what exactly is this ‘surprise’ for Ben?<

>I haven’t decided,< Greywind replied. >But we’ll think of something. Children are easy to impress.< Her primary concern was commanding her fleet and running the empire. The desires of an alien child could wait.

As they walked away to the bridge, Greywind still felt a warm sensation in her blue palm and fingers. The right one she clasped around Ben’s tiny hand.
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

I've read up to the start of chapter 3 and I'm enjoying it, particularly Ben's interactions with the loroi and his doll. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

inxsi wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:06 pm
I've read up to the start of chapter 3 and I'm enjoying it, particularly Ben's interactions with the loroi and his doll. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.
Thank you for reading and especially for commenting. It keeps me motivated. :mrgreen:

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

His meeting and talking with the Loroi is just so cute in how childish it is. At least now they get to witness what human children are like firsthand. Although I've got a bad feeling about any other human survivors and whether or not they'll be found. The Delrias are gonna get some awkward questions later on though.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Indeed, I love the way his childish actions press buttons with the Loroi.
All rather straightforward.

You're keeping me captive in your story. Please go on.

(Will this become the first of the "games nights"?)

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

I'm caught up now - thank you for the story so far. I'm enjoying the interplay of Ben and the loroi.

Greywind is definitely setting herself up with the "kids are easy to impress" line :) I wonder if she knows much about loroi children or if loroi children are that much different than human children - it might just seem different if the phases of childhood go more quickly in loroi children, though I wonder if they are just more mature/different in general. Have any of the people dealing with Ben actually raised loroi children, beyond giving birth and then giving them over to the communal group to raise them?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

inxsi wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:15 pm
I'm caught up now - thank you for the story so far. I'm enjoying the interplay of Ben and the loroi.

Greywind is definitely setting herself up with the "kids are easy to impress" line :) I wonder if she knows much about loroi children or if loroi children are that much different than human children - it might just seem different if the phases of childhood go more quickly in loroi children, though I wonder if they are just more mature/different in general. Have any of the people dealing with Ben actually raised loroi children, beyond giving birth and then giving them over to the communal group to raise them?
If I am interpreting the lore provided in the forums correctly, Greywind herself has had four daughters. While loroi children are separated from their mothers and handed over to caregivers, I would imagine that loroi, if time and circumstances afford them, spend some time with their children and strengthen their bonds.

At this point, Greywind has not even conceived of adopting Ben. To her, he is simply a passenger, a refugee and a potential source of information. Although she does find him fascinating and is about to discover some more about him.

I imagine that there are some differences between human and loroi children, and perhaps loroi children are perhaps more mature and learn faster than humans (just my theory). After all, they are expected to finish trials by age eight. But I'm sure they can find some common ground with humans, like having fun, creativity and causing mischief for a good laugh. Oh, and of course testing their family members' patience.

I will try to incorporate the challenges that the loroi face just trying to take care of Ben alone.

I hesitate to say if any of the loroi aboard have taken care of children, but I imagine that the spacefaring loroi need to have at least some competency and empathy to care for a child. Think if a cruiser gets stranded in space or at a planet for some reason and the ship has no caregivers. What then?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 4

-

Tempo remembered when Alexander Jardin entered Fireblade’s dreams upon their first contact. A discovery that she shared with the Emperor. And like all discoveries, Greywind was eager to exploit it for the sake of ending the war and uncovering the many secrets that lay behind a human mind. A discovery that could have cost Alexander his life. Not at the hands of the Emperor, but at the hands of other loroi that were desperate to maintain loroi sovereignty and saw humanity as threat to their rule.

Ever since their first contact with aliens, the Loroi’s telepathy had been one of their strongest justifications for subjugating the Local Bubble and being the ruling race of the Union. They were the living remnants of a long lost empire and were simply reclaiming what was rightfully theirs.

After aiding the loroi to finally end the forty-two tozon war, Alexander simply disappeared. While Greywind had assigned trusted operatives to search for him and bring him back safely, Alexander had never been found. It was rumored that he returned to Terran Space where he served the TCA in secrecy. But it was only a rumor. Others theorized that Enzin had been ferried into Historian territory with the aid of the Historian Construct.

The fact that Alexander had entered Fireblade’s dreams during their time together suggested that he might possess telepathic abilities. But with his lotai, Enzin was able to conceal the presence of this gift. Tempo had theorized that Alexander, if indeed telepathic, had utilized his 'awakened' abilities in secret to anticipate the Hierarchy's movements. The fact that he seemed to possess outstanding tactical brilliance only further served as evidence of his concealed talents. The Emperor, eager to see if it was true, ordered for Alexander to be brought to her. She and her loroi desperately probed him with observations and questions to confirm if he indeed had sanzai. Yet Alexander resiliently kept it hidden. The Loroi failed to confirm if Alex was in fact telepathic. But Greywind knew. Even without proof, she just knew he was. And Teidar Fireblade, the only loroi that could confirm it, had disappeared along with Enzin. Along with a xenophylic Listel that had grown particularly fond of him. As unorthodox as it would have been to the Torrai Council, Greywind wanted to grant Alexander rights as a commanding officer to lure him to the loroi’s side. If only to keep a useful human close to her for two reasons. To quicker accomplish Greywind’s ambitions and use Enzin as an envoy to convince the TCA to join the Union.

For the last eighteen tozons, all other humans that Greywind met seemed to display no telepathic abilities. Nor any loroi that reported psychic anomalies akin to Teidar Fireblade's experience. There were rumors that a few telepathic humans were encountered, but these were unconfirmed myths or outright lies meant to garner attention. Yet Greywind hoped that, if not Alexander Jardin, she would at least meet one telepathic human.

Now she had a human child on her ship that just walked into her dreams. Unless the boy in her dream was a product of her subconscious, Ben seemed to be exactly what she was looking for. Ever since Greywind could not go back to sleep, the Emperor decided instead to meditate and contain her raging thoughts and emotions. While loroi could conceal information by choosing not to sanzai, it was considered dishonest and conspicuous at best. The best method of keeping secrets without earning the distrust of other loroi was to focus one’s mind on subjects that had nothing to do with the matter one wished to conceal. Meditation helped a loroi to achieve a inner peace and practice her mental discipline. And Greywind had three centuries to sharpen her mind.

After finishing her meditation, Greywind ordered the ship to delay its next jump. Now Greywind’s fleet was in orbit of a ringed gas giant. The old Emperor was lying on her back observing the gas giant through the ceiling of the observation deck. Lying by her side was Tempo. This was one of the most relaxing and isolated places on Cry of the Wind where the loroi could share their thoughts discreetly. And Greywind finished conveying her dream to the Mizol.

Tempo sent: >Is it possible that Ben has sanzai?<

Greywind nodded. >Possibly. At the very least he seems able to decipher what I am relaying.<

>Whatever the case, a dream is not enough to confirm it, Emperor. There are plenty of other explanations as to why you experienced an irregularity in your dream.<

>Even so, we may have finally found what we’ve been looking for ever since Alexander Jardin slipped from our grasp,< said Greywind.

>But how do we confirm it, your highness? Like all humans, Ben’s lotai is impenetrable.<

>Yes. Amazingly frustrating, isn’t it? A direct approach seems ineffective. But perhaps there is another way to probe this human’s psyche.<

Tempo gave the Emperor a look of worry.

>Be at peace, Mizol,< sent Greywind. >I do not intend to harm it. But perhaps if we were to bond once more in our subconscious minds.<

>Feasible,< said Tempo as she pursed her lips in thought. >But problematic. Firstly, when loroi dream, we forget ourselves. To dream for a loroi is to essentially relive our past and lose recollection of the present. For example, when you dreamt of your time during diral training, Emperor, your mind created an accurate projection of your past experiences. But the projection seems real. So real that your subconscious mind convinces you that it is. Even if you meet Ben again in the dreamscape, your past self may not recognize him. You will not likely extract what you intended to retrieve.<

Greywind pondered the dilemma. >What about ‘outside suggestion’?<

Outside suggestion was a loroi term that referred to a loroi being able to make telepathic suggestions to another loroi during her dreaming without waking her. It required some skill and luck, but it could be done. Most loroi were not willing to try it for personal issues.

Tempo nodded. >Yes, that might work. But who would you entrust such a task to?<

>You, Tempo.<

Tempo rose from her lying position and stared wide eyed at her Emperor. While the Mizol knew many things about Greywind that most others did not, she had never delved into her Emperor’s mind. >Emperor, you trust me that much?<

>You have not betrayed my trust thus far, have you?< sent Greywind. >I prefer to keep this between us anyway. Besides, we are simply testing our theory.<

>I understand, your highness.< Tempo was silent a moment before she remembered something. >By the way, have you decided how to surprise Ben?<

Greywind realized she’d forgotten about that and thought a moment. An idea came to mind: >The fleet will be moving toward the inner planets soon. I think we have something that will imbue enough excitement to satisfy the little thing. Where is it anyway?<

>Cotton took Ben to the recreational lobbies today,< sent Tempo.

>Summon them to the bridge, Tempo.<

Having gazed enough at the gas giant through the ceiling, Greywind sat upright to rise to her feet. Tempo offered to help her up by gently grabbing her upper arm. But the old Emperor slapped the Mizol’s fingers, who withdrew her hand timidly to her chest.

>I’m not that old, Tempo.<

-

Children love to play.

Such a statement was no less true for someone as young as Ben. Upon waking up from his weird dream of some loroi girl he’d never seen before, Cotton took him to the ship’s galley to find him something digestible. Since it was not appropriate for a male to eat among loroi, Ben ate out of the presence of other loroi. And the galley seemed like the best place. Although he still caught the attention of the cooks that bashfully glanced in his direction.

After eating breakfast, Ben was eagerly asking about the ‘surprise’ that the Emperor promised to show him. Since the Emperor had yet to reveal her surprise, Cotton decided to entertain Ben with games at the recreational lobbies. The other loroi eyed Ben curiously. A few suspiciously, but Listel Cotton insisted that any loroi that had only negative sentiments against humans should simply leave. Which they did.

Ben eagerly wanted to try the simulations, but Cotton had learnt about human censorships and understood that exposing children to violence was considered a taboo. Instead she interested Ben in some puzzle games that were just as fun.

While they were playing, some of the loroi could not help but admire Ben’s problem solving skills. Then again anything that a male did fascinated them. Much like the way a geisha seemed to enchant the feudal lords of ancient Japan.

During their game, a Tenoin approached their table. “Hello, little human,” she said in Trade.

Ben looked up from his game to meet the Tenoin in the eye. She had short blue hair with yellow eyes and and orange jumpsuit. “Uh, hey,” he answered back in English, not understanding what she said.

Cotton also greeted politely, “Hello, Tenoin Razor.” In sanzai she sent: >State your business!<

“You know her, Cotton?” Ben asked.

“Many on this ship know each other, Ben.”

>Easy, Listen Cotton,< Razor sent back. >I just want to talk with the little human. I was hoping you’d be kind enough to translate for me.<

Cotton sighed and complied with the request.

“Hey… Ben… is it?” Even with Cotton’s assistance, the Tenoin’s attempt at English was mediocre at best. Razor smiled friendly at Ben and continued, “I see you. I mean… I… saw you… here… playing. I… want to ask… something. You like… harmonizing?”

Ben tilted his head confused. “What?”

“Razor means do you like music, Ben?” said Cotton.

“Oh!” Ben shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, I like music.”

“Me too,” Razor said with a laugh. “When… big war ended… some humans came… not many… but they bring… music. They brought music… here.”

Ben seemed to grow excited by this news. “You like human music?” he asked.

“Some music… yes,” said Razor. “I even have recording… I have human music with me. But… I not understand. English language is… hard. Can you tell… tell me what this song says?”

>Tenoin, I don’t think Ben is going to understand that song,< Cotton groaned. >I can’t even understand what those humans are saying.<

>Don’t be such a grouch, Seedhead,< Razor sent back, resisting the urge to poke her tongue out. >Let the human decide.<

Ben looked to Cotton and then back to Razor. “What’s the song?” he asked.

“Here,” said Razor, fishing out a small pod that fit easily in her palm. It was an old piece of human tech that humans didn’t use anymore. Razor acquired it when visiting a humanity store on Azimol during shore leave. A few humans were allowed to establish these stores at a few Union worlds where they could sell old trinkets and gadgets that humans considered obsolete merchandise. While not practical for a warrior, some aliens, including loroi, liked to obtain these tiny, human treasures and get a glimpse into humanity culture. This particular device that Razor bought at one of these stores was called an ‘eye pod’. And it came with a tiny loudspeaker.

Razor placed the connected devices on the gaming table and pressed a button. A combination of synthesiser tunes, keyboard and guitar met Ben’s ears. Within a few beats, Ben recognized the song. One of his child friends had, among her few possessions, some old music on a datapad that she liked to share with the other kids.

And this particular song was a classic.

“Oh, it’s ‘Beat it’,” said Ben, nodding to the music.

Razor raised a curious eyebrow. “What?”

“Beat it,” said Ben. “Michael Jackson. My friends from Grind and me. We love this song!”

Razor and Cotton were speechlessly bemused.

>Who is Michael Jackson, Listel?<

>I have no idea.<

Without warning, Ben jumped from his seat in a small clearing in the lobby. “Here, I’ll show you,” he said as he started dancing. The loroi were momentarily stunned as Ben matched his movements to the beat of the human music by throwing his arms forward and back, with a gentle thrust of his hips and flexing of his shoulders. The speechless surprise of Razor and Cotton drew the attention of the other loroi as Ben showed off his moves. While uncoordinated and sloppy, Ben moved with confidence.

“Beat it!” he sang along with the music, turning on his heels in a circle as he waved his fist back and forth.

>Stars!< sent Razor with an amused grin. >Little thing knows how to dance!<

Some of the other loroi stopped with their games and other recreational activities to wander over to the boy showing off his dance moves. A few even nodded their heads to the beat of the music. Razor laughed, clearly loving this alien entertainment. Soon Ben was showing her how to dance. Cotton also joined in, fascinated by this alien ritual. It felt awkward and perhaps a bit embarrassing. But also fun. The rest of the crowd laughed amusedly, feeling the rhythm and beat of the music also.

The only loroi that did not seem to feel the beat of the music was Tempo who had just entered. From a distance, she was oddly watching the loroi spectators.

-

>What was that racket?< Tempo asked Cotton as they strode together with Ben through the corridors. The loroi in the lobby whimpered like diral girls as the Mizol took the adorable little dancer from them. Razor made Ben promise that he would visit them later and show them more dances. Ben was still swaying left and right to a rhythm he undoubtedly imagined in his head. Tempo wondered if some humans could play out scenarios in their minds as vividly as Listels.

>A human melody by a human called Michael Jackson,< answered Cotton.

>I have no idea who that is,< said Tempo. >Sounds more like amplified buzzing and guttural smashing of iron strings. How could humans even call that music?<

>I didn’t like it initially,< sent Cotton as she looked at Ben with a pleasant grin. >Until our little guest here revealed the ‘beat’ and the ‘rhythm’.<

>While I respect your choice of harmonizing, Listel Cotton, please refrain from ‘thinking aloud’ this audio recording in the presence of the Emperor.<

Cotton nodded. >Of course, Mizol Tempo.<

The trio were approaching the bridge. “Ben, listen to me,” Tempo said to Ben, who was still lost in his musical nostalgia. “Ben!”

Ben jumped at the minor outburst.

Tempo sighed. “I’m sorry if I seem irritated, but you must pay attention.”

Ben nodded. “O-okay.”

“Good,” said Tempo. At least he was listening. “Now, the Emperor promised to show you a surprise.”

Ben perked up upon hearing that. “Cool! What is it?”

“You will see in a moment,” said Tempo as they approached the bulk doors to the bridge. “But we are going to a sensitive area. So you must be quiet. If you must talk, whisper only. Do not make noises. And do not draw attention to yourself. And very important; do… not… touch… anything! If you are disruptive, you will be forced to leave.”

“Okay,” Ben said seriously. “I’ll be good. Promise.”

Tempo nodded approvingly. The bulk doors swung open and the trio entered the command center. Ben stopped in his tracks and looked around in every direction. It was a lot for him to take in. Ben absorbed the layout of the three tiers in front of him and holographic display of outer space in pure wonder. Not yet noticing the forth tier behind him where the Emperor sat above them. The full display of space left him speechless. Cry of the Wind had flown close to a star, along with the rest of the fleet. Ben marvelled at the features of the star they orbited as well as every ship in the fleet. The ship’s sensors no doubt dampened the star’s brightness.

With Cotton and Tempo close by his side, Ben slowly paced on the upper third tier, watching the loroi in different colored armor press glowing buttons. He had no idea what they did or how they were displayed holographically, but it was still so fascinating. Some of the loroi working cast him curious glances, trying their best to stay focused on their work.

>Do not be alarmed,< Tempo sent to the crew. >The human has been granted permission by the Emperor to tour the bridge. There is no compromise to our security.<

Cotton led Ben through the other two lower tiers. While the loroi kept their gazes fixed on their monitors as Ben passed by, many felt compelled to lean back and catch a glimpse of him.

>What a cutie,< one subsystems loroi commented. A few other subsystems crew quietly smirked in agreement.

When they came back to the upper third tier, Cotton showed Ben the tactical display on the starboard gallery. Ben was even allowed to swivel the blue globe around and get a look at the white icons representing each ship. But it wasn’t as exciting as seen the real ships on the enormous display screen.

Tempo received a telepathic message. “Ben,” she said. “Follow me.”

Ben and Cotton followed up the side stairs to the fourth tier where Emperor Greywind was seated in her command chair. The loroi showed reverence. Tempo urged Ben to bow as well. It was important that the human understand imperial code of conduct.

Beside the Emperor’s command post was two long benches. On the Emperor's left sat her Chiefs of Staff. All twelve of them. On her right sat aliens that Ben never saw before. They eyed the human curiously. Ben clung to Cotton’s leg, a little scared of the creatures.

A Barsam, Ziga Rowin, patted the empty seat right next to him. “The little brother may sit here if he wishes,” he said.

Ben was reluctantly about to sit until he saw an alien that he did recognize. Beside the Barsam sat a Delrias, Ambassador Kablon. And in Ben’s mind, she looked exactly like the aliens that abducted him.

The little human surprised the alien assembly as he squealed with fright and buried his head into Cotton’s legs for protection.

>Oh, damn,< thought Cotton. >Kablon is here. Why didn’t we think of this?<

“Please forgive little Ben, Ambassadors,” Tempo assured them. “He has not been exposed to aliens before. He is just shy.”

Some of the ambassadors seemed understanding while others regarded the human oddly. Including Kablon. Tempo could sense that Kablon was thinking about the human, wondering what could possibly be bothering it?

Ben refused to sit despite Cotton’s gentle urging. “Ben, please, it’s alright,” she said in English. “None of these aliens are harmful. It’s safe.”

“No,” he whimpered into Cotton’s thigh.

"Ben, please sit!"

“No!"

An unexpected voice surprised them, “Ben may sit with me.”

Cotton was taken aback by the Emperor's invitation. >Y-yes, Emperor,< she replied, urging Ben over. “Ben, the Emperor wants you to sit with her. Go on!”

Ben seemed to calm down as he looked at Greywind. The old loroi motioned him over with her index finger. Ben stopped his whimpers and made his way over to her. Cotton and Tempo took their seats.

Ben marvelled at the Emperor’s personal chair, a half-spherical throne with control panels built along the armrests and comfortable cushioning. The chair could be positioned upright or reclined. Greywind’s long trail of hair poured out along the side. Greywind disabled the chair’s control panels so Ben did not accidentally press anything. Scooting over, she patted the side of the seat free of her cape. Ben gently hopped up and squirmed inside.

Greywind could sense some outrageous thoughts pouring off of the alien ambassadors as they seemed to eye the human with mixed reactions. From a distance, loroi could not completely see what was on an alien's mind, but Greywind could still see the mood radiate off of them. From her command chair, Greywind could feel Dermo, the Neridi, fume with jealous suspicion directed at Ben. The Neridi were not particularly fond of humanity due to the increased number of Terran Raider attacks on their freighters venturing out into the Great Wastelands. The Delrias, Kablon, was more curious and confused at Ben's frightened reaction more than anything else. Ziga, the Barsam, broadcasted nothing but pity, his sympathy directed toward the little human. And Cha, who acted more as an observer than ambassador since the mere presence of loroi mesmerized him to the point that he was a slave to the loroi's will, did what practically all Golim do and basked in the transcendent effects of loroi telepathy washing over him. Though even he was curious about the tiny loroi-lookalike.

The Emperor inquired from the alien subjects and Union members, “Is there a problem, Ambassadors?”

The aliens’ eyes went wide, some of them inwardly panicking while others were curious as to which one among them was thinking conspicuously. They replied with a collective imbalance of sincerity and deception, “No, Emperor.”

“Emperor,” Ben whispered, looking up at the old loroi. Upon Greywind’s command, Cotton assisted with translation via sanzai. “What exactly are we waiting for?”

“We… are.. about… to see… impact,” Greywind said amidst translation.

“What’s ‘impact’?” Ben asked tilting his head.

“You… will… see. Now quiet. Look… forward. It starts.”

Ben did as told and watched the display of space. The ships were in a far out orbit of a lifeless planet. A section of the bridge’s screen magnified the image of an asteroid, spinning its way toward the planet.

A high-ranking Tenoin voiced for all on the bridge to hear, “Asteroid collision imminent. Impact in thirty solons.”

Ben watched with fascination as the giant rock rotated on its way to the planet. It disappeared for a moment as it moved out of the star’s rays, behind the planet’s dark side. For a moment nothing happened. Then a small circle of yellow light ignited on the planet’s dark side and expanded. Ben watched with utter amazement as the asteroid collision slowly exploded the planet’s surface into an expanding cone. The cone of debris spread out before gravity drew it back to the planet’s surface. The explosion caused by the asteroid expanded into a bright dome. It was as if the planet itself was birthing a tiny star. But the beautiful illusion faded as fire and molten rock spread across every direction of the planet’s surface, encircling the dead world.

As terrible as this seemed, Ben could not deny how incredible it all looked. He had read about asteroid collisions, but never thought that he would get to see a real one.

“Cool,” Ben whispered enigmatically.

Greywind raised an eyebrow at the odd word. >Cool? Translation, Listel Cotton?<

>’Cool’ is another human slang to describe something amazing,< sent Cotton.

“Yes,” Greywind whispered to Ben, much to his surprise. “Is… very… cool.”

The assembled aliens simply watched with fascination as the asteroid’s impact zone shrunk a bit in size, but still left its mark; a bright yellow spot on a burning, bloody sphere.

“Thank the Gatherers this terrible but magnificent display happens only to a dead planet,” remarked Ziga.

Greywind addressed the assembly, “Ambassadors, I hope you enjoyed this.”

The aliens rose, bowed and thanked Greywind. The Emperor could sense their sincerity and appreciation, their thoughts momentarily drawn away from Ben.

Ben watched the aliens and seemed to get the idea as he too hopped to his feet and bowed. The childishly polite gesture seemed to amuse the aliens.

>Well, at least the sly human knows its place,< thought Dermo.

Now it was time to move on. Greywind sent out a command. Cry of the Wind along with the rest of the fleet adjusted their course. Greywind sat back down and patted her seat, motioning for Ben to sit back down.

>All ships ready for jump, your highness,< sent First Officer Nova from the third tier.

>Initiate!< Greywind commanded.

First Officer Nova called out over transmission, “All ships jump!”

The universe seemed to flash away for the briefest of moments and reemerged in the next star system.

Ben’s body felt weird and nauseous. His brain still registering the jump into a new solar system. As well as brief, horrific images that flashed in his mind, as was typical of humans experiencing an interstellar jump. An electric shock crawled from the base of his spine up to the skull, making his head spin and his stomach turn. Ben suddenly jumped from his perch and bent over-

Hurl!

A few of the aliens and loroi gave gasps of revulsion as Ben threw up the contents of his stomach.

“Oh, gross,” Dermo commented, covering his pointy nose.

“Is the little brother ill?” Ziga asked, genuinely concerned.

Cotton was quick to move to Ben’s side and gently stroked his back. “It’s alright, Ben,” she said. This wasn’t the first time Ben experienced this discomfort. “It’s just jump sickness.”

“Oh,” Ben whimpered. “I don’t feel good, Cotton.”

>Cotton, take the human to the Doranzers,< Greywind commanded. >Give it all the comfort it needs.<

Cotton complied. “Come, Ben,” she said as she scooped Ben up into her arms. Despite their slender forms, loroi were deceptively strong. “I’ll get you some medicine.”

Ben hugged his arms around Cotton’s upper frame, his chin resting on her left shoulder. His blue gaze locked with the Emperor’s cerulean eyes. Even when descending the steps, Ben did not tear his eyes from Greywind’s.

Before being carried out of sight, Ben said, “Thanks, Emperor.”

Greywind just watched him leave.

“Excuse us, Emperor,” said Dermo from his perch. “But we are curious about the little human called Ben.”

“Speak your thoughts,” commanded Greywind, switching her gaze to the ambassadors. Even from a seated position, the aliens were intimidated by her aura of authority.

“Emperor, we have been discussing and would like to know what the human is doing on Cry of the Wind,” said Dermo.

“The human survived a traumatic ordeal on Taben,” said Greywind. “Ben, as it is called, was abducted by loroi gangers and rescued by Taben warriors. It has been granted asylum and shall be granted transport home.”

“That is most unfortunate,” said Kablon. Greywind could sense that she was being sincere and was unaware of Delrias involved with Ben’s abduction. Kablon was a mother of several pups and naturally felt sympathy for the little human. Though she still searched for information to report back to her plutocratic colleagues at Rubat. “How did Ben come to be abducted by gangers, your highness? It seems quite odd for loroi criminals to seek out a single child-”

“That needn’t concern you, Ambassador Kablon,” Greywind said firmly. “You seem eager for answers. Perhaps compelled to ask it from Ben. And I tell you now that that is out of the question. As I said, Ben is merely a child that has been through a terrible ordeal. Therefore, to avoid placing the human under stress detrimental to its health, I forbid any of you to ply Ben with questions. Ben shall enjoy a safe passage home without the burden of an interrogation.”

“If I may interject, your highness,” said Ziga. “I noticed that the human seemed frightened of us before.”

“Yes,” Greywind said simply.

“Emperor, we Barsam have specialized in reaching out to peoples who suffer the burden of xenophobia. I do not intend to make Ben a convert of our Church. With your permission, however, I would like to spend some time with the little brother and show him there is nothing to fear from peoples of difference. It may also serve to boost relations between humanity and the Union.”

There was no hidden agenda that warranted conspiracy within Ziga’s mind. No ulterior motive. Simply a desire to reach out to another soul and a zealous desire to impress with his good deeds. If Greywind refused any form of interaction with the human, it might come off as conspicuous. Both to the aliens and loroi. Even with her authority and influence, Greywind still had to play by the rules of ‘power games’. And she did not want to reveal to Kablon, or other alien emissaries, the possibility of Delrias being involved with human abductions. At least not yet. Not when she might have a window of opportunity to track the Delrias criminals with connections to the ganger network.

“Your concern for Ben’s well being is touching, Ambassador Ziga,” said Greywind. “But today seems like an unwise time to share communion. While my previous order still stands, your suggestion will be taken into consideration.”

“We understand, Emperor,” said Ziga and bowed, as did the other ambassadors.

The ambassadors were excused and left for their personal quarters. Greywind relaxed in her command chair.

-

The day went by slowly for Ben. After watching the incredible fireworks of an asteroid impact, and being treated with medicine by the loroi doctors for his jump sickness, Cotton escorted Ben to the Listel archives of the ship. While Ben was certain to receive proper training from human caregivers once he returned to Terran space, Cotton thought it important to improve Ben’s cognitive capacity with education. While the Listel was not well informed how humans were properly taught, she still had a good idea of how to attract a child’s attention. Even a human’s.

For the rest of the day, Cotton showed Ben hundreds of images pertaining Loroi history on a holographic monitor. She avoided stories of war and bloodshed and focused on stories that conveyed the Loroi’s more constructive achievements. While Ben’s vocabulary and ability to process complex ideas was limited, he absorbed the loroi tales with fascination. He learnt how ancient loroi of Deinar survived harsh winters first in caves before developing agricultural settlements. How the Beleri and Amenal loroi came to settle Taben’s many islands with their sailing ships. How the Perrein loroi learnt to turn poisonous fungoids into consumable delicacies while they dwelt beneath giant mushroom trees that blocked out the sun.

“I hope you’re not bored, Ben, ” said Cotton after teaching for hours. “But history is good for your education.”

“Are you kidding?” Ben said enthusiastically. “I love this stuff. All these stories about loroi are really neat. I bet you could make a movie out of this.”

“Yes, I suppose one could,” she replied, though did not have the heart to tell Ben that humanity’s fiction would not be well received by the majority of loroi.

Cotton was no stranger to humanity’s primary form of entertainment. While the majority of humanity movies were disappointingly fictional, the few Cotton had seen were still fascinating. Even if much of the films’ allegory flew over her head, she understood their inspiring apologue.

A growl from Ben’s stomach drew the Listel’s attention. It still amazed Cotton that humans needed so much sustenance.

“I think that’s enough lectures for today,” said Cotton and deactivated the monitor. “Let’s get you some dinner. Then it’s time to sleep.”

“Aw, do we have to?” Ben whined. “I want to learn more about the loroi.”

“I’m flattered that you love our history as much as we Listels, Ben. But you need food and rest. I promise we can continue tomorrow.”

They left the Listel archives to fix some food for Ben at the galley. Once he was fed, Cotton escorted Ben to the washrooms to brush his teeth and freshen up. As usual, the baths were full of naked loroi. And Ben had to rely on Cotton to guide him to a basin since he refused to look. The loroi in the baths could not help but giggle at the silly human waddling with his hands over his eyes. Humanity certainly had some queer nudity taboos. It was also hard to bath Ben since he didn’t like getting naked in front of other people. Although Cotton could understand Ben’s reluctance to undress in front of loroi.

While the mature loroi were sensible enough not to confuse a human child for a loroi male, it was hard for a few not to get aroused. Especially when they happened to see some bare skin. The Emperor made it clear to the whole crew that any loroi spreading lewd thoughts about Ben would be punished. The Teidars saw to that. And anyone that inappropriately touched Ben would be dishonorably discharged. Listel Cotton herself had heard stories about a few unfortunate ‘incidents’ that happened at the few humanity settlements within Union territory. And the humans residing at these small settlements were unforgiving toward anyone that they deemed a threat to their children’s safety. While it seemed impractical for humans to have children on Union worlds with Imperial policies that restricted human growth, some humans simply refused to work away from Terran territory without their families. And even the tough loroi had to make accommodations.

Once Cotton finished cleaning Ben, they returned to his room. The Listel tucked Ben into his bed.

“Cotton, can you read me a bedtime story?” Ben asked as she lay a blanket over him.

Cotton raised a curious eyebrow. “I… I’m sorry, but I don’t know what that is.”

“Well, my mom would tell me a story before we went to bed. Like a fairytale.”

Cotton was familiar with the word ‘fairytale’, but did not know any of these stories. And she was certain that reciting a movie was not likely to put Ben into a soothing state of mind.

“Sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t have any good stories,” she said. Upon seeing Ben’s disheartened mood, she added, “But, if you’d like, I could tell you about my home of Mezan.”

Ben did not seem so thrilled, but shrugged his shoulders. “Okay then.”

So Cotton took a seat on her cot just a few paces from Ben’s. The little boy lay on his side as he listened to Cotton’s tale of the desert world Mezan. A barren world with barely enough oxygen to breath and oceans of sand and rocky mountains. The loroi residing there lived in underground homes. Since Mezan had low gravity, Cotton would jump around with her friends as a child across platforms and catch balls over long distances. While Mezan was not a particularly exciting world, its moonless sky allowed for a perfect view of the milky way and the night stars.

Cotton ceased her tale upon hearing Ben’s snores and smirked at the small line of drool slipping past his lips. She couldn’t help but smirk at how adorable he was. Dimming the lights and checking that the room was at a comfortable temperature for the boy, Cotton laid down to sleep.

What neither of them realized was that Greywind was also preparing to sleep. Tempo had been admitted into the Emperor’s chamber to assist Greywind once she began to dream.
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 5

-

Grey hopped off the all-terrain truck along with her forty diral members. They were bombarded by the intense heat and humid air of the wilderness. One of the adult warriors threw Grey a bag containing a med kit, a communicator, datapad and one hunter’s knife. These were all the instruments the diral was allowed during these trials.

>Luck in the wilderness, girls,< the warrior adult sent from the truck. >The fungal forests are unusually dry this year. So be mindful if you need fire. Word of advice: watch out for stalkers.<

With that said, the doors to the truck sealed. The six-wheeled truck roared its engine and drove away through the fungal forests. Since the giant fungal forests made it impossible for shuttles to descend through the massive canopies, all-terrain trucks were the most effective mode of transportation.

>Alright,< sent Grey to her diral, and slung the bag over her shoulder. >Let’s find a clearing to make our base.<

While she could sense that a few loroi did not approve of her to be diral leader, Grey intended to establish her authority. The diral moved out.

After tens of thousands of solons, the diral came to a clearing. Dark with some moss and quite a few patches of luminescent mushrooms and fungal shoots. It seemed acceptable. Within hours, the diral setup camp. They used moss as makeshift beds and gathered all the mushrooms. Soon they were sitting in a circle and eating some mushrooms. While some could be consumed raw, the loroi knew from their lectures that many had to be well prepared to avoid food poisoning. But Grey wanted to avoid starting a fire in this unusually dry climate. One spark could set the fungal forest ablaze.

>You’ve already made a mistake, Grey,< sent one loroi. It was Greenscale.

>What do you mean?< Grey asked, chewing on a mushroom.

>You’ve used up all the mushrooms here,< said Greenscale. >We could have left some to cultivate more.<

>We can always gather more from the forest,< said Grey, swallowing her raw meal.

>I wouldn’t count on it during this drought,< Greenscale scoffed. >And why are we setting up moss beds now? We should make defences against predators.<

>The day is almost over, Greenscale. Everyone is tired. We should rest and save our energy. I’ll appoint a few to keep watch. We can start the hard work tomorrow. And that is that!<

Five girls stood guard over the group as the woods grew dark while the others laid their heads down to rest. Grey could already sense a few loroi looked admirably at Greenscale and knew that her position as leader was already threatened. To impress her comrades, Grey kept guard with the five wake loroi.

Grey's relatives played a hand in arranging for her to be this diral band's chief. Even after being cast out by her mother, her Perrein relatives were eager to forge Grey into a competent leader. And while Grey was not as ambitious as her mother, and could not care less what her mother thought of her now, the young initiate did not want to let her familial clan down.

A loroi with brown hair approached Grey. >Hey, Grey is it?< she sent with a friendly grin. She was awfully bubbly for a loroi in-training and less mentally disciplined than Grey. >My name’s Cliff. Mind if I sit with you?<

>You’re supposed to be on lookout,< sent Grey strictly.

Cliff seemed taken aback by Grey’s strict personality and made to move away. >Sorry,< she sent a bit hurt.

Grey sighed. >You may sit with me,< she relented. >Just don’t get distracted.<

Cliff’s bubbly mood lightened up again and sat with Grey. In just a matter of moments, she already considered Grey a friend. With Grey’s permission, she shared her life’s story, about her upbringing on Perrein, her carefree sisters from the creche. The games they would play, including pole combat. Grey almost regretted admitting this Cliff to chat with her. A very one-sided chat.

Grey simply sat with a disinterested look as she was forced to absorb Cliff’s story. This Cliff seemed almost narcissistic, though not maliciously so. Cliff had a friendly aura, but was awfully full of herself. And far too chatty. Hard to believe that someone like her was born from the Mizols.

>What about you?< Cliff asked Grey. >I’ve just been rambling about myself all this time. Tell me about yourself. Which creche were you raised at?<

>I wasn’t raised at a caregiver creche,< said Grey, fidgeting her legs uncomfortably. >At least not during my early youth. My five sisters and I were raised directly by our mother on Deinar.<

>You're from Deinar?! Wow!< thought Cliff, truly amazed and impressed. >Not many loroi get to be raised by their own mothers. Your mother must be really powerful if she got to raise you herself. What’s she like?<

>She’s awful!< Grey sent, now annoyed. >And I don’t want to talk about her!<

Grey stared out into the dark fungal forest. Cliff simply bowed her head, a little disheartened and fearing that she offended her new friend. While most loroi are raised by caregivers, Grey’s mother was directly involved with rearing her children. Some loroi thought it was a blessing and luxury to be raised by one’s own mother. Not for Grey. For as long as Grey could remember, Rainlash was strict. Brutal at times. Grey often wished that she had been handed over to the gentle caregivers than be with her mother. At least Grey was here now with her diral, free from her mother-

A presence!

A presence entered Grey’s range of sanzai and disrupted her thoughts. Grey jumped to her feet. Cliff, sensing the alarm, sprang to action too. The other guards sensed it as well. There was something out there in the dark woods and closing in fast. Very fast!

Grey sent and yelled, >”Everyone up! Incoming!”<

The diral, still groggy, pushed themselves up from their moss beds. But they were too slow. In a blur of motion almost too dark to see, a shadow burst forth from the darkness of the woods and passed through the diral group. A girl screamed as fangs bit down into her leg and the shadow dragged her away into the dark woods.

Without thinking, the diral jumped up, some scared and uncertain of what to do, while others wanted to give chase and rescue their sister. Grey ordered ten loroi to pursue with her in the lead. She drew the knife from their supply bag. Since they had no other weapons, she ordered the others to grab rocks. As primitive as they were, rocks could be good weapons.

No matter how fast they ran after the beast, it seemed to be getting away, even with the weight of prey in its jaws. Within several hundred solons, the beast was out of their range of sanzai. The girl’s cries could still be heard as she was carried away, but eventually faded. Grey ordered the chasers to stop. They lost her and the beast. The loroi bowed their heads in shame and grief.

>That was a stalker!< sent Greenscale, who also joined the hunt. >It’s your fault, Grey. I told you we should have built defences. And now one of ours is gone.<

>Mind your attitude, Greenscale,< Grey threatened her, with knife still in hand. No matter how right Greenscale was, Grey could not allow others to challenge her position. >I am still leader. We will mourn for the loroi we lost.<

Greenscale shocked everyone when she stomped over to Grey and smashed her left eye with her fist. Grey fell back stunned and held her wounded eye, whimpering from the pain. The knife was plied from her fingers by Greenscale.

>Come, friends,< Greenscale sent to the others. >We have defences to build.<

The others, impressed by Greenscale’s ability to take charge and fearlessness, followed her back to the camp. Only Cliff stayed behind, concerned for Grey, who in her mind was still technically the leader.

Grey fought back the tears and shame as she buried her head in the dirt and fungal roots. Even if the role had not been officially given to Greenscale, Grey knew that she just lost her position as diral leader. All it took was one mistake and one punch.

>Grey,< Cliff sent sympathetically, placing a hand on her friend’s back. >I’m sorry. It wasn’t your fault-<

>Go away!< Grey barked. >Leave me alone!<

Cliff flinched away, withdrawing her hand. She dropped her head, pitying Grey as she sadly dawdled back to camp.

Grey cried. Try as hard as she might, she couldn’t stop crying from failure. Her mother would be merciless when she found out.

>Grey,< a new voice came. A sanzai voice.

Even amidst her tears, Grey looked around confused. Someone was sending to her, but she felt no presence.

>Who calls?< sent Grey, sniffling. Her comrades were gathered in the camp, uninterested in Grey’s distress. Who was calling her?

>Grey, listen to me,< the voice from nowhere said. >Do not be afraid. But listen. You are in a dream.<

>A dream?< Grey said incredulously, wiping her runny nose, fighting back the tears. >What nonsense! I’m not dreaming. I just lost a diral member and my leadership.<

>Listen to me,< the voice gently insisted. >This is a dream. Do you notice that I speak with you out of nowhere? Isn’t it odd that you and not your diral members seem to notice?<

That did seem odd to Grey. Grey was just crouching at the edge of the others’ sanzai range. They didn’t seem to notice this voice at all. Perhaps she was in a dream after all.

>Don’t think too much on it,< the voice said. >If you dwell too much on this disturbance, the dream will dissolve. And we will lose what we intended to find.<

>Find what?< Grey asked confused, her tears finally stopped.

>You will see, Grey. Now call out for Ben.<

>Ben? What is Ben?<

>A name. Just call out for it.<

With nothing better to do, Grey called out, >Ben!<

Nothing happened. Grey tried again and kept calling for this ‘Ben’. The more she called out, the more she seemed to remember that she indeed met someone called Ben. She met him yesterday after Cliff was injured by a stalker. But wait. That never happened. Grey and Cliff just met. Cliff was injured in the future. Or was it the past? Grey tried to make sense of these mixed up memories in her dreamscape.

>Stop thinking about it,< the voice instructed. >If you think too much on it, the dream will break. Let go of your worries. Just keep calling Ben. We need this.<

Grey let go of these weird thoughts and kept calling, >Ben! Ben!<

“Mom,” another voice answered from a distance.

Somewhere in the dark woods, Grey followed the infantile voice. After passing over mossy grounds and turning past a massive, fungal tree, Grey found it. Found him. The boy.

>Ben,< she sent.

The boy turned around, his eyes teary. “Mom,” he cried. “I’m looking for my Mom.”

Once again, Grey heard him speak, both by spoken word and sanzai.

>Ben,< Grey said. >I remember you. From many days from now- No, I mean yesterday!<

Grey took a step toward him, but Ben backed away.

>Careful, Grey,< the invisible voice instructed. >If he runs, you will lose him. Offer him help.<

>Don’t be afraid,< she sent, resisting the urge to chase after him. >I want to help you, Ben.<

Ben still backed away, but kept his eyes on Grey. He was so small. So helpless.

>You said you’re looking for ‘Mom’, right?<

Ben stopped, still fearful, but nodded. “Yes.”

>Come with me, Ben,< said Grey. >And I’ll help you find ‘Mom’.< Grey held out her hand.

Ben eyed the blue hand then looked up at Grey. She waited for him to make a move. Gave him reason to trust her. Step by step, Ben closed the distance between them and took Grey by the hand. Ben felt chilled by her skin. Grey was warmed by his.

>Good work,< the voice said. >Now instruct him to find home.<

>Come on,< Grey said >Let’s find ‘Mom’.<

“Where do we start?” Ben asked, looking up at Grey. “We’re lost in this scary place.”

>Think about home,< said Grey. >Try to remember what home is like. If you think about home, maybe it will come.<

As confused as Ben was, he thought. He thought about his home on Grind in the village under the glass roof.

In the darkness of the woods, a spark ignited. It grew brighter and brighter until the woods were alight.

>There!< said the voice. >I sense what you see. That must be the way to his mind.<

>What’s in there?< Grey asked the voice.

>We will see!<

>Let’s go home, Ben,< said Grey, taking the human by the hand. Together they stepped into the light.

-

When they emerged, Grey found herself in a large room. The lighting was dim, the walls metallic, with electric wires and pipes visible. This must have been Ben’s home. Two doors led elsewhere. A kitchen lie on the room’s other side. There was a bed in another corner. There were also an assortment of gadgets and alien machinery that Grey did not recognize. Even for a dream, it felt so real. Although, the room tended to faze and blur in a few sections. Not untypical for a dream. Dreams were after all imperfect projections.

“We’re home,” said Ben, sounding relieved.

Grey was stunned when Ben swung his tiny arms around her legs, burying his head in her thighs.

“Thank you,” he cried happily. “Thank you! Thank you!”

Grey did not know how to react. No one had touched her like this before. It felt so alien. So strange. So inappropriate. And so… so… nice. Almost without thinking, Grey’s hands rested on Ben’s golden head.

>It’s alright,< sent Grey, gently stroking his hair. >We’re safe now.<

“Maybe Mom will be home soon,” said Ben, looking up hopefully and released Grey. “Let’s play while we wait. We can do something fun.”

>Fun?< Grey cocked an odd eyebrow.

“Yeah,” said Ben.

>What kind of fun?< asked Grey.

“Well… do you like magazines?”

Grey had no idea what a magazine was. She waited for the invisible voice’s instruction, but it had gone silent.

>What’s a magazine?<

Ben took her by the hand and led her to a table with large but thin booklets scattered across it. Ben picked one up and showed it to Grey. It was a picture of an alien male with dark skin, a red shirt and colorful layers of beads decorating his neck. The alien stood in front of a lush, green landscape and blue sky.

“National Geographic,” Ben called the booklet. Something Grey never heard of before.

Ben and Grey sat together on the floor as the boy showed her the images inside. Of more lush, green landscapes and alien people. Of exotic animals from a world called Earth. Some of these animals resembled the alien sapients Grey saw in her childhood. Lions resembling Delrias. Tapirs that looked like Neridi. Ben showed more animals with shapes unfamiliar. It was all so strange yet fascinating.

>You can see his memories,< the voice suddenly returned. >You see what he has seen!<

>Yes, I do,< said Grey, still caught up in the moment with Ben.

>This is incredible,< the voice said amazed. >We are peering inside a subconscious, human mind!<

>Human?< said Grey, her young self not recognizing the word. >Is that what Ben is? Human?<

>Yes,< said the voice. >The possibilities are endless.<

The door suddenly swung open. Someone entered. Someone with a lotai like Ben. Grey and Ben looked up to see a human female with pale skin and braided blonde hair. She wore a dark jumpsuit and tactical vest. Her left eye was bruised. She didn’t seem to notice Grey, though that was no surprise since this was all just a dream. Only noticed Ben for a brief moment.

“Mommy,” said Ben with joy, and ran over to her, leaving Grey behind with the magazine. “You’re back! You’re back!”

But the female called ‘Mommy’ brushed past him, tearing off her tactical vest, letting it fall to the floor. Opening a compartment door of a storage unit, she pulled out a bottle of fluid, popped it open and gulped it down. Wiping her chin, she threw the bottle as it cluttered in the kitchen sink and she popped open another one.

Grey simply stood by and watched, unsure of what to do.

“Mommy,” Ben asked the female. “Are you oaky?”

“Do I look okay?” the female snapped back. Even though the human spoke, Grey understood what she conveyed.

Ben’s shoulders drooped, as if he were becoming timid.

“Did you eat?” the woman asked.

Ben nodded.

“Good,” she said, taking another swig as she sat down on a couch and flicked on a monitor to watch something. Though Grey could not tell what.

What was this female’s problem? Females cherished and sheltered males, young and old. But this one seemed unusually neglectful.

Ben timidly walked over to ‘Mommy’ and asked, “Do you want to play?”

“Will you shut up and leave me alone?” the female said, taking another sip and wiping her wet lips with her hand.

Ben walked toward the tactical vest and made to pick it up, trying to hang it up on a wall hook. Likely he was trying to be helpful. Grey could have sworn the vest contained what resembled a firearm and munition clips. But the vest slipped from the boy’s grasp and cluttered to the floor.

The female snapped, dropped her bottle and stomped over to Ben, grabbing him roughly by his arm. Ben shrivelled in fear and tears ran down his cheeks.

“Don’t touch that!” the female yelled.

Grey watched incredulously. What was wrong with this woman? No loroi in her right mind what treat a male so.

“I’m sorry,” Ben whimpered, his lips quivering, tears staining his cheeks.

“Go to bed!”

She released his arm and Ben ran for the bed, burying his head in the pillows. Grey watched horrified. The way this awful female treated this child seemed not so different from the way Grey’s own mother treated her. Brutal and vicious.

Grey could not help but feel sorry for Ben. She wanted to help him.

>Let it play out,< the voice instructed. >This is all just a memory. A dream. Let us see what happens.<

Many moments passed. Ben cried in the bed. Then another cry came. Ben looked up to see his mother trod over to him, tears streaming down her cheeks as well.

“Förlåt, älskling,” she whimpered and fell to her knees on their cot. “I’m sorry. I’m just tired. I’m not mad at you.”

>Bogus crone,< Grey thought resentfully. How dare this female beg for forgiveness after being so rough with her child.

Ben rose from the cot and hugged his arms around her neck. ‘Mommy’ held him close.

>Don’t be fooled by her, Ben,< Grey tried to warn him. Whether the female was sincere or not, Grey didn’t care. That woman did not deserve the boy’s affection.

Then the room started to grow fuzzy and fade. As did the human and her son. The dream was ending.

>No, wait!< Grey cried, trying to reach for Ben.

“I love you, Mommy,” Ben cried.

“Oh, Ben,” she said back.

>No, wait!<

-

“Wait, Ben!” Greywind shouted as she shot up in her bed, panting and sweating.

>Emperor, be at peace!< sent Tempo, who sat on her knees by the Emperor’s side within Greywind’s chambers. >Calm down! You’re awake.<

It took a few moments for Greywind’s thoughts to consciously arrange themselves after emerging from the dream. A few solons passed and she remembered who she was. The old Emperor exhaled deeply.

>You saw it, didn’t you, Emperor?< sent Tempo. >I sensed only a glimpse of what you experienced. But did you see it?<

>I have,< sent Greywind, feeling triumphant and excited. Though still a bit shaken. >I have finally looked inside a human’s mind. Distorted and nebulous. Yet I saw and felt all that the human has experienced.<

>Does that confirm our theory then?< said Tempo with anticipation.

>It seems so,< said Greywind, trying to slow down her panting. >We finally found it after all these tozons. And best of all, we may have found a way past the human lotai.< Greywind jumped up from her mattress and flew to her dresser. >Help me get dressed! Quickly!<

A curious Tempo rushed over to her. >Why, your highness?<

>We just found an opportunity,< Grey sent as she stripped down and fitted a fresh suit. >I need to get to the bridge quickly and change our destination.<

>We're not going to Azimol?< Tempo asked as she opened Greywind's wardrobe to fetch her purple armor.

>Not yet,< sent Greywind. >First we need to get Ben somewhere secure. We're taking him to Deinar.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Great story.
I like the depiction of Ben, Ben's desire to be at home. His not knowing better than this mom, who's leading a hard (and likely dangerous) life and being snappy at her child. (Imagine being a security person in a frontline colony, where life is hard, and physical strength likely necessary, no space, thus a lot of aggression with nowhere to go...)

The way Tempo and Greywind guided Ben's dream to be "home", and their victory over a Lotai.

Thank You!

For anyone else wondering:
"Förlåt, älskling" [SE] - "Sorry sweetheart" [EN].

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Great Story!!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 6

-

The change of plans came as a shock to Greywind's Chiefs of Staff and Ambassadors. While changes of schedule were sometimes necessary, the high-ranking officers expected an explanation. But Greywind's intimidating aura told them to keep quiet and do their jobs. As much as they hated being kept in the dark, the Diaderets and Alien Ambassadors knew better than to get on Greywind's bad side.

Greywind decided to keep the discovery of Ben's subconsciously-breeched lotai secret until they got Ben to a secure location on Deinar. The Emperor had not yet decided the best place to keep him, but they had time to go over their options. It would also give Greywind and Tempo the time they needed to explore Ben's mind in the dreamscape.

Within a few days, Cry of the Wind finally arrived in orbit of Deinar. Greywind along with her royal escort, Tempo, Cotton and Ben left the Mobile Capital. The alien ambassadors also accompanied them, wishing to breath an authentic atmosphere and feel terrestrial dirt beneath their feet. Greywind's Diaderets remained on Cry of the Wind. There was still work to be done, but they would follow down to the surface eventually. Though they still seemed suspicious that the Emperor insisted on taking the little human with her.

While sanzai was straightforward and truthful, a loroi could still conceal secrets with enough mental discipline. And Greywind relayed that, since Ben did not fare well in space, it was paramount that he spend some time in a terrestrial atmosphere. Her claims were backed up by Listel Cotton who insisted that continued exposure to space could be detrimental to Ben's health.

A few Tenoins especially, along with a few others that had spent time with Ben aboard the ship, were sad to see the adorable, little human go. Ben simply waved them goodbye and ‘blew a kiss’, making a few loroi blush.

Some loroi just never grow up, thought a mildly irked Greywind.

On their way down to Deinar aboard the Emperor's shuttle, Ben was once again transfixed by the sight of an alien atmosphere as they descended toward the surface. While Tempo had explained some of the loroi’s customs to the little human by this point, Greywind kept her hair out of Ben’s reach.

“Amazing, isn’t it, little brother?” said Ziga, stepping beside Ben as he watched through the shuttle's window.

Ben took a step back from Ziga, nervously fidgeting his Superman in his small hands. While Cotton managed to convince Ben that the aliens here were harmless, Ben was still uneasy around the large, intimidating non-humans. Although he seemed less afraid of Dermo. Ben even went so far as to walk up to the Neridi before departing Cry of the Wind, to ask if Dermo was an 'elephant man'. To which an affronted Dermo demanded an apology, even though he had no idea what an elephant was. Which Ben happily responded by gripping and wiggling Dermo's long nose, much to the Neridi's outrage. As insulting as it was for Dermo, it was certainly entertaining to the loroi.

While the Barsam did not voice it, Ziga was silently watching the loroi and Ben as they descended. To ensure that the ‘little human brother’ was not subject to abuse. Greywind could also sense that he found it odd that Ben should be taken down to Deinar, just after the Emperor ordered a spontaneous change of course.

“Ambassador Ziga,” said Greywind. “Perhaps it would be beneficial for Ben to experience the friendly nature of other sapients. Unless you have withdrawn your earlier offer.”

Though still suspicious, Ziga thought his pleasant surprise aloud. “Of course not, your highness,” he said. “Only if the little brother will accept my invitation.”

Greywind relayed instruction to Cotton, who in turn said in English, “Ben, Ziga here would like to spend time with us. If that’s alright with you. It would be nice if you gave him a chance.”

Ben looked up at the big Barsam. While he seemed big and scary with his six horns and large hands, Ziga did not seem so bad.

Ben meekly nodded. “Okay.”

“You are most kind, little brother,” Ziga said sincerely.

“What are we going to do?” Ben asked the large Barsam.

Cotton translated, to which Ziga replied, “How would you like to see the Aquarium?”

“What’s the Aquarium?” asked a now curious Ben.

“A place where aquatic beings live,” said Ziga. “I think you will like it, little brother.”

Now Ben was interested and nodded eagerly.

“First we check in to the Toridas Grand Central Nalir,” Greywind said firmly. “Then you are free to see the Aquarium.”

Ziga bowed. “Of course, Emperor.”

“And I expect you all to return to the Nalir before dusk.”

-

After arriving at Toridas' Hangar Bay, the royal escort proceeded to the Grand Central Nalir deeper within the city's center. While the Imperial Complex had some of the most beautiful guest rooms on Deinar and amenities that surpassed any hotel, Grand Central Nalir was better equipped to accommodate aliens.

The Emperor’s security team was sent ahead to check the Nalir completely and confirm there was no presence of dangerous or suspicious materials. Upon checking in, Greywind arranged for Ben and Cotton to share a room close to her suite. A nearby room was also arranged for Tempo. The occupants of the Nalir, employee and guest alike, could not help but cast curious glances both at the presence of the Emperor and her little human guest.

Ziga had departed for the Aquarium with Ben, Cotton as well as four Sorions and two Teidars assigned to guard Ben. Truly Greywind did not want to let Ben go, but isolating him would seem suspicious. As long as he was protected and returned, she would allow the little human some mobility. Now Greywind was sitting in a sauna with Tempo. Link had been excused to give the Emperor and Mizol some privacy and was enjoying herself at the Nalir's spa.

“So it seems that Ben’s mask is still active,” Tempo actually said to the Emperor. Sometimes it was more secure to speak instead of sanzai when two parties wanted to conceal information from any other prying minds.

“Yes,” agreed the Emperor. The steam of the sauna burnt her nostrils, but she tolerated it. “It seems Ben's lotai is only vulnerable while he sleeps. Strangely intriguing. At least Ben’s lotai and ignorance shall be his shield. This must have been what that Teidar, Fireblade, experienced when she and Enzin bonded telepathically.”

“Which raises another question, Emperor,” said Tempo as she poured more water over the steaming rocks within the sauna, creating a hissing mist of vapor that filled the room. “Does the bond form because of trust?”

Greywind raised a curious eyebrow. “You don’t think it does?”

Tempo contemplated the matter as she sat back down. “I think Ben has come to trust us. And he seems to trust you. Or rather, your younger self in the dreamscape. While trust can ease a bond, Enzin’s initial encounter with Fireblade’s telepathic intrusion seems to disprove that. On top of that, while Fireblade and Enzin shared a link, the rest of the loroi in our company were completely oblivious to its existence. Perhaps the bond happens between different minds at random. A fluke. Or maybe the loroi weakens when a loroi possessing a special quality comes into contact with a human.”

Greywind raised an intrigued eyebrow. “Are you suggesting that I am special to Ben?”

Tempo was silent a moment. “Well, it may not be inaccurate to say that you seem to have left a powerful impression on him. While you slept, Emperor, you could exclusively see into Ben’s mind while I could not so much as link with him. It was as if you entered the other side of a blackhole. You existed in a place that should not exist.”

“Loroi can achieve lotai, but it requires a loroi to be almost absent-minded. Meditative even. Yet humans achieve lotai effortlessly. Is it possible that the human lotai, then, could be a subconscious construct?”

Tempo thought about it. “I’m no scientist, but it’s feasible. We’d have to run more trials though.”

“My thoughts exactly,” said Greywind, dead skin and sweat rolled off her skin as she brushed herself. “After Alexander’s disappearance, not one loroi that we know of has reported an experience similar to that which Teidar Fireblade went through. But now we have a human who has demonstrated sanzai-capabilities. At least subconsciously. And an opportunity to bypass the human lotai. We cannot lose Ben. The human must stay with us.”

“For how long?”

“For as long as I want.”

“While I agree that we should not simply let Ben go,” Tempo interjected, “There is a problem. Trying to keep Ben would be controversially troublesome. Even if we have the resources to care for him, what happens when other humans find out we are keeping one of their own? News of a human child on Deinar may not reach any humanity envoys for weeks... months even! But sooner or later they will find out. If we hold Ben against his will, it will be construed as abduction.”

“But we haven’t abducted him,” Greywind defended. “We rescued him. Since Ben has no one else to care for him, we give him food, shelter, entertainment and monitor his health. Ben is our captive in as much as the loroi males of the monasteries. Besides, the little human resides in our territory. If I say he stays, he stays.”

“Even so, that is not how the humans may see it,” Tempo warned. “While humans I’ve met seem to covet profit and progress, many are hyperactively critical against others that they deem immoral. Usually just to bolster their own reputation, but that’s beside the point. Keeping Ben could jeoprodize friendly relations with the TCA. Humans seem particularly vengeful when their children’s safety is at stake.”

“Is Ben not safe with us?” Greywind asked ironically. “In fact, did we not promise to find Ben’s mother and bring him home?”

“Precisely, Emperor,” said Tempo. “Another reason why-”

“No, you don’t understand,” said the old Emperor. “Home for some is a particular location. But I think not for Ben. When we instructed Ben to find ‘home’ in his dreams, Ben went to a place of familiarity. Because there he was expecting to meet his mother, Lagertha. For Ben, ‘home’ seems to lie with his mother.”

Tempo furrowed her confused brow. “Emperor, I don’t follow.”

“Ben and his mother resided in a place of impoverishment, Tempo. Indeed, they tried to flee from it. If we can find Lagertha, we could arrange for her to come to Union territory. Convince her to stay with her son… here! Make an offer she cannot refuse.”

“Even if she accepted such an accommodation, we don’t even know if Lagertha is still alive,” Tempo pointed out. “According to Ben’s claims, the Delrias boarded the Terran ship and separated the human children from the adults. If the Delrias that took Ben felt no guilt in partaking in sapient trafficking, who is to say they did not just simply execute the human adults out of the children’s range of sight?”

“Possible, I admit,” said Greywind. “But perhaps we could find out.”

“How, Emperor? Access to Ben’s dreams is the stepping stone to unraveling the human lotai. But the whimsical mind of a child is not likely to bring us closer to Delrias suspects-” Tempo stopped mid-sentence, realizing that perhaps they could. “On the other hand, Ben has seen the Delrias’ faces and the interior of their ship. Which could give us the clue we need to cross-reference a ship and crew that matches that description. Thus narrowing our search. It seems like an off-chance, but with a little ‘outside suggestion’, it just might work.”

Greywind nodded, pleased with her Mizol’s wit. “And thanks to the ‘Intelligence and Information Exchange Pact’, we can search for Lagertha’s profile as well. Provided she was riding aboard a registered Terran vessel, the Terran Authorities could track her for us. Even if they request us to simply hand Ben over, we can give them any excuse to refuse said request.”

“You mean lie to them?”

“Inform them that we are doing a service for a human child,” Greywind pointed out. “Ben does not travel well on space cruisers. It is imperative for his health that he remain here on Deinar. Thus giving Lagertha all the more reason to come to us.”

“Yes, perhaps we may make this work in our favor after all,” said Tempo. "However, Ambassador Ziga seems to suspect something."

Greywind nodded. "As much as I admire the Barsam for his virtue, his rectitude may prove troublesome. But Ziga knows his place as consular advisor and what he'd be risking if he went against my wishes. We’ll deal with him only if he inclines us to do so."

"One other problem," said Tempo. "If other loroi learn of Ben's ability to send subconsciously, it would shake them. There are many that would desperately seek to harm Ben just to protect their fragile beliefs."

"All the more reason why we must keep Ben close," Greywind insisted. "The only ones who seem to know Ben's secret are you and I. And while I trust that a competent Mizol like yourself can shield her mind, remember that you are under my protection."

"What about your Diaderets, Emperor? Who work so close with you? Sooner or later they will suspect something."

"Leave that to me."

"Do you intend to reveal Ben's breached lotai to the Diadem?"

"Provided that certain conditions are met, yes." Greywind rose from her seat. "Let us retire. I think I’ve had enough steam for one day."

Tempo followed her emperor out of the sauna. She even assisted the Emperor with her damp hair, heavy from the accumulated moisture.

"Emperor, I notice that you have started to refer to Ben in the masculine form," Tempo observed. "As a ‘he’."

Greywind simply shrugged. "So I have. What of it?"

"Well, do you like him?"

Greywind simply stared intently back at the Mizol, her unresponsive silence making Tempo nervous.

Tempo pursed her lips awkwardly, avoiding Greywind’s glare. "I… withdraw the question, Emperor."

"Good!"
Last edited by Snoofman on Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am, edited 12 times in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 7

-

Ben was mesmerized by the wondrous lights, skyscrapers and monolithic tractricoids of Toridas. While Ben had seen pictures of Earth’s cities, Toridas' unique architecture was bedazzling.

Cotton simply watched the little human from her side of their seat. She noticed that Ben held his ‘Superman’ in one hand. Strange how he refused to let go of that filthy, slightly damaged toy. Then again humans were known to be possessive of material objects. They were riding in a larger hover car meant to accommodate Ambassador Ziga’s large size. Soroin Drill and Teidar Hailstorm accompanied them as well upon the Emperor’s order. Another car of Soroins and one other Teidar followed close after them.

“Awesome,” said Ben admiring the grandeur of Toridas, his face pressed against the car’s window.

“Yes, it is,” said Cotton. “Toridas is thousands of years old. It first started as a small camp for nomads until the loroi made it into a settlement. It was transformed over the millennia from a village of tents to a busy metropolis.”

“What’s a nomad?” Ben asked.

“Well, nomads are people whose culture and way of life revolves around travelling,” said Cotton.

“Cotton, since we’ve been travelling a lot, does that make us nomads too?”

“Not quite, Ben. You see, most people today like to stay in one place to make their home. Nomads, on the other hand, are often moving to new places.”

“Why?”

“For many reasons. Either to find new land for their cattle to graze. Or to hunt in a new place. Or if the seasons change and they seek a nicer climate.”

“So they get to see new places all the time? That sounds fun.”

Cotton smiled at Ben’s innocence. “Nomads don’t travel for fun, Ben. Although I can imagine it seems fun for some.”

Ben’s throat began to dry. “Cotton, I'm thirsty.”

Cotton fetched a bottle from the compartment and handed it to Ben. Even as he quenched his thirst, Ben could not tear his gaze away from the wondrous sights outside their levitating vehicle. And especially the people. Every block they passed, there were thousands of loroi walking by each other. Some wore warrior armor. Others wore simple jumpsuits. Many of the loroi wearing jumpsuits, Ben noticed, shaved their heads.

Weird, thought Ben. Most of the women on Grind never shaved their heads. Some of the men did, but not the women.

That’s when Ben realized something as he watched the blue women outside. “Cotton,” he asked. “Where are all the men?”

“What, Ben?” Cotton asked.

“The loroi men,” said Ben. “Ever since I met you guys, I’ve only seen loroi women. But no men.”

“There are loroi men, Ben,” Cotton assured him.

“But where are they?”

Cotton tried to simplify the explanation for Ben. “There are more loroi women than men, Ben. For every one man, there are ten women.”

“Wow!” said an amazed Ben with wide eyes. “How come there are none out here?”

“The loroi men are… allowed to move around when they are escorted.”

“Escorted?” Ben did not understand.

“It means someone must go with them.”

"Why?"

Ben’s curiosity about loroi menfolk was making Cotton nervous. Was it appropriate to explain loroi sexuality and population control to a human child?

“It’s complicated, Ben,” Cotton settled for that explanation. “Better I explain another time.”

“Will I ever get to meet a loroi man, Cotton?”

The little human was not making Cotton’s job easy as she struggled to suppress a blush. “That… might be difficult, Ben.”

“But why?” he pouted.

“Ben, why don’t we talk about something else? Don’t you want to know about the Aquarium?”

Ben could not help but feel disappointed that Cotton didn’t want to talk about loroi males, but shrugged. “Okay, then. So what kind of fish live at the Aquarium?”

Ziga simply laughed from his corner in the hover car. “Fish?” the Barsam hooted. Cotton translated Ben’s words for the Barsam to understand. “The Pipolsid are a peculiar race, but they are certainly not fish. They are more resemblant to scyphozoa.”

Ben cocked a confused eyebrow. “Skiff-a-wha?”

“You will see, little brother.”

-

Within thousands of solons, the group arrived at the Aquarium. As usual, many loroi, civilian and warrior alike, gazed at the little human with a mixture of suspicion and wonder. The Teidars were ready to telekinetically shove back anybody that came too close, but their presence alone was enough to intimidate onlookers.

The Aquarium itself was a large, round building, the Pipolsid’s actual habitat was subterranean, spanning for nearly a kilometer in diameter. The Aquarium’s surface structure contained numerous water passages and tunnels through which the Pipolsid swam above ground. The loroi, and other land dwelling visitors to the Aquarium, could walk around and observe the aquatic floaters through a maze of transparent walls and tunnels. While there were genuine glass walls through which one could see the Pipolsid, much of the transparent walls were in fact holographic projections meant to give the illusion that one was looking into the massive water tanks. While most loroi were not comfortable around aliens or allowing small colonies of aliens on Deinar, the Pipolsid were typically a gentle race and desired for their expertise in ingenuity and engineering.

Ben was speechlessly fascinated by the Pipolsids. To him, it was like watching a floating ballon with see-through organs, several tentacles and eight black eyes. They even glowed different colors.

“This is so awesome,” Ben said as he watched the giant jellyfish swim around.

Ziga smiled. “I’m glad you like it, little brother.”

“Look, Ben,” Cotton pointed to a section of the tanks where four Pipolsids were congregating. She could sense from their thoughts that they caught sight of the human. “It seems we have visitors.”

Ben wandered over to the glass wall where the Pipolsid were assembling. Their black eyes trained intently on Ben. Drawn to the floaters’ bioluminescent allure, Ben placed a hand on the glass wall. One of the Pipolsids, in turn, placed the oval-shaped end of its barb to match with Ben’s hand.

“Woah,” Ben whispered, retracting his hand, taking a few steps back. The Pipolsid withdrew its tentacle as well. Its bioluminescent colors seemed to shift and change as it turned, touching tentacles with its Pipolsid kin.

“Cotton, what are they doing?” Ben asked, unable to look away from the magnificent aliens.

“They’re speaking to each other,” Cotton replied as she too took in the amazing scene beside the boy. “Pipolsid speak with each other by changing their colors and releasing chemical pheromones.”

The scientific explanation flew over Ben’s young head. “Pheromones?”

“Essentially, they talk with their smell.”

“Oh,” Ben replied with amazement. He looked back at the Pipolsid, their black eyes still locked on him. “Can they understand if I wave ‘hi’ to them?”

The Listel couldn’t help but furrow her brow in thought. “I suppose they could learn… with time.”

“Okay, then,” Ben said with enthusiasm. Taking a step back toward the Pipolsid, he shot out his hand and waved. “Hi, guys!”

>Seems a little clueless, doesn’t it?< Soroin Drill commented with a roll of her eyes.

>What did you expect from a human child?< replied Hailstorm.

But the loroi and Barsam were surprised as the Pipolsid extended their barbs and slowly waved their appendages back and forth like Ben.

Upon seeing his gesture returned, Ben waved the other hand, to which the Pipolsids stuck up their other tendrils as well. A sly grin made its way on Ben’s face as he suddenly hopped, spreading his legs apart and held his right hand in front of his waist to assume an epic pose. The Pipolsids spread out their tentacles in a mimicry manner while extending a single tentacle forward. Next Ben took a karate pose as he punched his fist forward. The Pipolsids could even bend their flexible tentacles to resemble a fist punch.

“Cool,” said Ben enthusiastically. “But bet you can’t do the Floss!” Ben started repeatedly swinging his arms with clenched fists from the back of his body to the front on each side.

The Pipolsids, excited by this human ritual, tried to mimic Ben’s movements as they threw their flexible appendages around, spinning their bulbous forms left and right. But theirs became an awkward dance of swings and turns hindered by their unique physiology.

While the Teidars retained their serious demeanor, the Soroins, Cotton and even Ziga could not help but chuckle, clearly amused by both Ben and the floaters in the tanks. The loroi could feel both the Pipolsids’ frustration that they could not mimic this exuberant, human motion. But were more amused by the human’s gusto and movements.

Ben laughed. “I like these guys. Hey, Cotton, what do they feel like?”

“The Pipolsid?” Cotton thought a moment. She had never actually touched a Pipolsid before. “I don’t know. I suppose they are soft and flexible.”

“Can I touch one?”

There was an open section to the tanks where the Pipolsid could more intimately interact with alien visitors.

“I guess there is no harm,” said Cotton. “Follow me.”

Ben took her by the hand as she led him through the maze of transparent walls and corridors. They climbed a few levels and eventually found the visitor’s pool. A large open basin of water where Pipolsid could emerge to more closely interact with the visitors. Pipolsid were curious creatures that liked to touch out of motivation to inspect their environment and understand new objects. It also gave them inspiration to build and craft new mechanisms. Touching also allowed Pipolsid to form strong social bonds amongst each other. Which is why they were not afraid to touch other species when the opportunity arose. Unfortunately most loroi were not comfortable with being touched by each other, and less comfortable by being touched by the translucent floaters. Save for curious loroi like Listels.

The group stood by the edge of the pool and waited for the four Pipolsid to float to their location. Within moments, one of them emerged with only the cap of its bulbous head breeching the water's surface. Though Ben was a little scared, his curiosity compelled him to stay near the water. After all, these Pipolsid seemed gentle. It was like looking at a giant jellyfish with eight eyes. Black eyes that were fixed on him.

The Pipolsid floated closer to Ben while its kin of floaters observed a few meters below and stopped at the edge of the pool. Slowly it extended a single, transparent barb out of the water. Ben flinched only slightly. But upon seeing how the Pipolsid’s tentacle simply waved about leisurely, he stood his ground.

“It’s alright, Ben,” Cotton assured him. “The Pipolsid is only curious. It will not hurt you.”

Ben walked closer to the pool’s edge and hesitantly stretched out his arm. The tendril made to touch him, causing Ben to flinch away. But seeing how the Pipolsid made no harmful movements, Ben delicately held his hand back out and touched the gooey and soft tentacle. The Pipolsid’s transparent body began glowing vibrant yellow.

Cotton could not help but smile from the joy and curiosity the Pipolsid radiated.

“Cool,” Ben said with a wondrous smile of his own. “But why is it glowing like that?”

“The Pipolsid is happy,” Cotton answered. “It seems to like you.”

“I like you too,” Ben told the Pipolsid. Though it didn’t understand human speech, the floater could certainly smell Ben’s friendly nature.

Soon the other three Pipolsid floated closer to the first and extended their transparent limbs as well to get a feel of the human’s arm. Ben giggled as he handed his Superman to Cotton and extended his other arm to let the aliens satisfy their curiosity. All four floaters glowed like gentle sunshine.

“Never have I seen a truer communion,” said Ziga, touched and pleased to see two sapient beings bonding with each other without fear or trepidation.

“I wouldn’t call it communion, Barsam,” a stranger’s voice said. “But it certainly seems touching.”

The Barsam, loroi and Ben looked around to see six loroi whose presence they only took notice of now. Two of them were short loroi escorted by two taller guards. One of the shorties sported a hooded robe veiling his face. The robe itself was lined with simple patterns of blue and black that ended just above the knees, barely showing the blue jumpsuit underneath. The other shorty bore a similar robe but with black and red. The loroi accompanying Ben released telepathic gasps of surprise, struggling to contain their titillation. They did not need sanzai to know who these loroi were.

“Forgive,” the blue clad stranger said with a soft voice. “We didn’t mean to startle you all.”

The strangers approached. Their guards followed suit.

The protective escort stood at alert, placing themselves firmly between the newcomers and Ben.

>State your business,< Hailstorm sent strictly.

>No need for concern, honorable Teidar,< the blue clad stranger said, holding up a gloved hand reassuringly. >My companion and I were enjoying some noilir at a nearby konditori. And could not help but notice a little human in your company-<

Hailstorm immediately cut the stranger off, >There is nothing for you here. Move along.<

The guards, sensing hostility, stepped forward to protectively surround the two shorter loroi.

>Peace friends,< the shorty dressed in maroon sent passively with a slightly deeper voice. >We mean no harm-<

Cotton was focusing so intently on the argument that she failed to notice one of the Pipolsid reaching for the Superman in her hand. While the Pipolsid had no intention of stealing it, it was simply curious at the alien item and, naturally, wanted a feel. The contact of tender epimerdal mesoglea against loroi skin made the Listel jump with fright. She accidentally dropped the Superman. It cluttered on the edge of the pool and fell into the water, sinking to the bottom.

“NO!” Ben cried. Afraid of losing his mother’s gift, the last thing he had of her, Ben jumped into the water. But, having grown up on a world without lakes or pools, couldn’t swim.

Ben panicked as he began to sink.

The splash drew the alarmed attention of the rest of the group.

“BEN!” Cotton screamed after the boy. She meant to dive in after him. But the Pipolsid were quick to action. Upon changing their colors from joyful yellow to worried purple, the Pipolsid dove under to support the human with their tentacles and pulled him back to the surface. Ben gasped for air, wrapped in the safety net of transparent barbs that brought him back to the pool's edge.

Cotton reached for the boy and pulled him to safety. “Ben, are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Ben cried and shivered. The water was surprisingly cold. Almost freezing.

Cotton rubbed his shoulders to try and warm him. “Never do that again,” she said strictly.

“B-but my toy fell in,” Ben cried, still cold.

“I’m sorry, Ben,” Cotton said regretfully. “I didn’t mean to drop it.”

“Please, I can’t lose it,” Ben begged.

But the landwellers were in for a surprise when one of the Pipolsid returned from a deep dive. Folded in the round end of its barb was the Superman doll. It held the wet toy in front of Ben.

Ben couldn’t believe it. The Pipolsid swam down to get his toy back.

Ben almost cried for joy as he took the Superman back. “Wow,” he told the kind Pipolsid amidst joyful tears. “Thanks, fishman!”

The Pipolsid merely blinked back with black eyes, its purple glow fading to a blue hue of relief. As did the other Pipolsid.

>Poor thing must be cold,< sent the loroi clad in blue, noticing Ben still shaking. Gloved hands unfastened the buttons on the blue hood, causing the veil to fall away and reveal a youthful, masculine face underneath.

The loroi male whipped off his blue robe, shocking some of the assembled females. Cotton got one look at his face and recognized him. The male made to approach but the Teidar planted herself firmly in front of him.

>Please, I only want to offer my hood for the little one,< the male sent. >If you do not trust me, you may give it to him instead.<

Hailstorm eyed the male suspiciously before accepting the hooded robe and handed it to Cotton.

“Are you feeling better, Ben?” asked a worried Cotton, draping the robe over him.

Ben nodded, feeling a little warmer. The blue robe was soft and comfy. Ben looked up at the loroi that gave it to him.

“Thanks,” Ben said to the short loroi in wonder.

The short loroi surprised the company as he spoke back, “Your welcome.”

Ben’s eyes went wide. “You speak English?”

“A little,” the loroi male answered. “I learn. Just simple words.”

The loroi warriors, and Barsam, went on the alert but were unsure of how to react as Ben walked over to the loroi male to get a closer look at him. Whose safety should they prioritize; the human male or the loroi males?

Ben scanned the loroi man from head to toe. The male was shorter than the females, though taller than Ben. He almost looked like a teenage boy. He had purple eyes and long blue hair with dyed tips of white that ended by his chin, giving him a funky, punk appearance. His skin was a pale blue but his ears were not as elongated as the loroi females.

The boy broke the awkward silence, “I’m Ben.”

“Nice to... meet you,” the male responded with a smile. His English was slow. “My… spoken name… is Fertile Spring. But… you can call me… just Spring.”

“Spring?” Ben tilted his head curiously.

“And... this is my… friend,” Spring pointed to the loroi clad in maroon. “Tenth Dusk.” He motioned to their two guards. "And our Detairs... Frostbite and Yellowstone."

“You guys got weird names,” Ben said simply.

“‘Guys’?” asked Spring. He turned to Listel Cotton for translation.

Cotton joined Ben’s side and crouched beside him. >’Guys’ is another word for males, or companions depending on context,< she replied as she rubbed Ben’s sides to warm him up.

>I see,< Spring sent back. He kept his gaze on Ben. “Well, ‘Ben’ seems… like weird name... also.”

The loroi relaxed as they saw no immediate danger to either the human male or the loroi males.

>Pardon me,< Cotton sent to Spring. >But you seem to be related to the Emperor. Are you not?<

>I am,< Spring replied with a friendly grin. >My friend and I picked up some telepathic gossip about a tiny male being escorted. When we found out it was a human child, we just had to see it.<

Ben, not wanting to be left out of the silent exchange, said, “What’re you guys talking about?”

“Spring, here,” said Cotton, “is related to the Emperor. He is her great, great grandson.”

“What’s that?” Ben asked.

Cotton sighed as she tried to simplify it for the boy as she held up her five fingers. “Pretend this is the Emperor,” she touched her thumb in emphasis before moving to her index finger. “This is her daughter…” Cotton counted down the line until she arrived at her pinky. “And this is Spring.”

“Oh,” Ben nodded in understanding and amazement. “The Emperor must be old.”

While the other loroi eyed Ben apprehensively upon hearing him utter something so insensitive about their elected ruler, Spring could not help but snicker. “Yes,” he agreed amidst his chortling. “She... seems old.” >The human seems unafraid of speaking his mind.<

>I apologize on Ben’s behalf,< said Cotton. >He still has much to learn about loroi customs.<

>No offence taken,< Spring assured her.

“Hey, if Emperor’s your grandma, maybe you can come with us to the hotel?” Ben insisted excitedly.

“The what?” Spring asked.

>He means the Nalir,< sent Cotton.

“Cotton, can they come with us?” Ben asked.

Cotton sighed. Technically the Emperor merely ordered Ben’s protection and to avoid the company of others. Not to be isolated from other loroi. And Spring was related to the Emperor’s family. Besides, how could she resist Ben’s pleading gaze?

“I suppose it’s alright,” said Cotton. “If Fertile Spring and Tenth Dusk have no objection.”

>Listel,< Hailstorm interjected. >The Emperor gave strict instructions-<

>I will take responsibility,< Cotton cut the Teidar off.

Hailstorm relented.

Spring thought a moment as he gazed at the boy. And Spring had to admit the little human was fascinating. He’d never seen a live human before, much less a child. Only heard the stories from numerous loroi he paired with and his fellow menfolk.

>Maybe it’s better if we don’t bother them,< sent Dusk, sensing his friend’s curiosity. >I’d rather get back to the Monastery before dark.<

>Come on, Dusk,< Spring pleaded. >I’ve never seen a human before.<

>Now we’ve seen one,< Dusk pointed out. >So let’s go home!<

>I am not offended if you want to go home without me,< sent Spring. >But I want to spend some time with the little human. Besides, I haven’t seen my great, great grandmother in so long.<

That gave Dusk pause as he considered the prospect of meeting the Emperor. >On second thought… I think I will stay.<

Spring rolled his eyes, sensing that Dusk was more interested in the Emperor than interacting with a human. Boys would be boys after all. The males gave their answer, “Alright… yes, Ben.”

“Awesome,” Ben cheered with a wide smile.

Cotton bent down to lift Ben into her arms, but the Barsam interrupted.

“Please, Listel Cotton,” Ziga knelt down beside Ben, his heavy knee thudding against the floor. “Allow me to carry Ben. If he does not mind.”

Upon receiving the translated request from Cotton, Ben decided that Ziga was a nice alien, just like the loroi. He allowed Ziga to gently pick him up and let the boy sit on Ziga’s broad shoulders. Cotton offered to hold Superman, but Ben refused to let his toy go. Resting on the Barsam’s shoulder, Ben held onto one of Ziga’s horns for stability, looking down at the loroi below. It felt unnerving but fun to be so high up.

As the loroi and Barsam made to leave, Ben looked back at the four Pipolsid that had been floating nearby during the whole conversation. The little boy waved ‘goodbye’ to them. While the Pipolsid did not understand this ritual of ‘shaking limbs’ they cheerfully waved their barbs back at Ben.

>Are you sure you’ll be alright without your hood, Fertile Spring?< sent Cotton as they made their way back to their hover car. >It might not be wise to wander around in a dense city while you’re so… revealing.<

>No need to worry, Listel,< Spring assured her. >That’s what our Detairs are for. The hood is just meant to discourage arousal from females.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.