Writing Prompts

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Writing Prompts

Post by Werra »

The consensus of this thread seemed to me that the Loroi trying to get into Alex head shouldn't be part of this story. So I wrote out their big motivation for trying. Which was to me the Umiak Lotai mortally threatening the Union.

Sorry if that made some plotlines impossible.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The big motivation to the Loroi wanting to get into Alex's head is the combination of the human Lotai and the Umiak having a Lotai, both issues that have been worked upon. The former by Alex now being able to selectively allow others inside (especially after his training) and the later by having the Farseer work with Alex on the issue. I believe that the Farseer angle still needs more work for plausibility's shake (field testing, fine tuning, that short of stuff).

After that, the issues can return to military and diplomatic stuff.

novius

Post by novius »

In addition, the 'Lotai crisis', the 'wave of terror' and Brightshield's offhand remark about the birds in the tea house might provide puzzle pieces for our Farseer to utilize her talents in a more active manner, perhaps in conjunction with Alex. Of course, this would be highly experimental, but both may think it would be too good of an opportunity to outright dismiss it firsthand.

I already have an outline about how she would make a related proposal to Stillstorm.

@dragoongfa
About the availability of sensitive information - that could be a question of the doctrine behind the scout's missions. If the brass considers a mission failed when the commanding officers befell some unfortunate fate (like being blasted out of the nonexistent sky), then yes, any sensitive data on the computers would be very much unavailable, since the decryption keys died with Commander Hamilton and his bridge crew.

But, if the TCA considers a mission to continue at all cost, even if the only surviving member would be an Ensign 2nd class, they might consider granting him the means to access to at least some of up-to-date data, only to be unlocked if he indeed considers the species he'd contact trustworthy. If not, or if he'd be acting under duress, he'd be obliged to enter the code triggering the self destruct.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

One of these days, Alex hoped, he would learn to spot these traps beforehand.

Admiral Ackbar is disappointed.

novius

Post by novius »

Added a short filler piece. One human, and two Torrai trying to relax. Though talks inevitably turned quite dark for a moment...

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Sorry for the delay and the small part, I have been busy lately.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

No worries. It was good!

Werra

Post by Werra »

Let's seed the story with some writing prompts. Pick your poison.

novius

Post by novius »

I habe a rough idea how the meeting with Duskcrown would go. Rest assured, she will keep... well, not necessarily her hand, but everything else ... off of him.

On a second note, I do have an idea in what way Stillstorm might place her warning shot on Ashrain and Moonglow. On further thought, her idea of punishment might even be more rattling than a formal reprimand to these two Torrai with a bit of a devil-may-care attitude :)

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Looking forward to it.

Dunno about other readers, but frankly, the constant "50 Shades of Blue" is getting a bit stale.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I agree, I have been looking forward into flexing my historical armchair general muscle. The social meeting with Duskcrown serves well for that.

novius

Post by novius »

entity2636 wrote:Looking forward to it.

Dunno about other readers, but frankly, the constant "50 Shades of Blue" is getting a bit stale.
The biggest players in the game had their curiosity satisfied, and it works right into my idea how they would clamp down a bit on overzealous Tenoin or Soroin Pasets - especially to prevent a scene like what had been brewing on the station, if there hadn't been Brightshield right on the spot to bail him out.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I fully agree, this story is in need of some Loroi that don't want to hump Alex.

Shadow and Duskcrown (and that new Torrai something) are the most promising candidates for that.
SpoilerShow
I originally intended for Diskcrown to spend a genuinely nice time with Alex. She'd turn out to be quite gregarious and personable, if completely uninterested in mating.
As a Torrai in good standing with the Emperor, she'd also be far less traditional than Stillstorm and quite happy that the new Mizol regime switches things around.

If you'd like and for some continuity, I could post the character bio I have in my head for her.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Please do, the less I have to make up to on the spot, the easier it will be to write stuff down.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Give me a few hours to get home.

novius

Post by novius »

SpoilerShow
I intended for the meeting with Duskcrown - and the still unread datapad - that it was a formal request for an encounter, filled out and countersigned, all above board. Purely socializing, but as written down 'mating optional'. Of course Duskcrown would not go through with the optional part, but won't intend to pull another Stillstorm on Alex. The reason for her to put it down in writing would be to underline her point that Alex might do better if there are one or two Loroi who can authoritatively deny encounters on his behalf - after all, if said Loroi would say 'No can do', she would face the crosswind rather than Alex himself, which would likelier cause a diplomatic incident. Stillstorm herself bemoaned the fact that with rising in ranks she got more embroiled in politics, too, so I imagine Duskcrown to be rather well versed on that playground as well.

Oh yes, she could play the perfect hostess - witty, personable, outspoken, but beneath all that there is a woman who is used to have things run her way.

I imagine her to make that meeting a bit more upscale - nice location, classy outfit, the whole deal - just to make Alex seriously doubt that she is not interested in him that way. Of course she isn't, but that would be her ploy to make Alex see her point that he might do well with a Loroi who could bail him out of a comparable situation.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Torrai Tazites Duskcrown, Commander of Tinza Sector
Size: Beryl sized but more athletic
Hair: Light orange mane on top, a long braid hanging from her shoulder down to her hip several times, ending in the bush on top of her shoulder.
Eye colour: Green
Skin colour: grey-blue
Origin: If it should come up, some small backwater world

Duskcrown carries herself with the arrogance of one who can back up confidence with deeds. As commander of a frontline sector under martial law her authority is near absolutistic. Her goal is to win the war and to achieve that she uses any asset at her disposal. Regularly trading ships and lives for tactical advantages, she is unconcerned with most Loroi traditions of honour or decency. A source of contention between her and many of her subordinates, which she makes worse with her loose tongue, curde humour and a habit of cursing and insults. As such Duskcrown is a frequent duelist* (rarely to third blood). Notable losses of hers include a Doranzer, whose job she thought could be done better by a butcher, a Mizol she called honest and Stillstorm whom she mocked for not even scratching Tempests paintjob.

Her oftentimes underhanded methods have given her a sullied reputation amongst the older Torrai and warriors. Younger Loroi however see her more positively, as she eschews many of the trapings of the cast system, allowing for a certain degree of social mobility for the capable. Having risen to Torrai late in life, her rise to fame from a mid level Lashret to Tazites happened only in the chaotic wake of Greywinds inthronisation and the battle of Taziney Ways. Duskcrown took to the new social realities like a fish to water. Having always worked well or even been friends with her Mizol, she was able to use her talents for atrocities and subterfuge in the war. Warmaking is her passion and she is an outspoken and vehement supporter of the total war doctrine the Emperor instituted. She also took part in the Tithric genocide and has no shame about it whatsoever.

She is somewhat unpredictable and likes taking chances on people. She likes to take an effort with those surrounding her proving to be appreciative even of her servants. Oftentimes this leads to a friendship between her and warriors of lower rank. This results in her being rather laid back during off hours, but can not fully cover that she is the tyrant of Tinza sector by habit and aptitude moreso than by rank.

Duskcrown is somewhat uncommon for a warrior in that she does not live spartanically. Instead she enjoys a certain amount of luxuries and vices. She has wooden furniture in her office and cabin. (bed and desk) Enjoys cooked food as opposed to the canteen rations and she smokes. Duskcrown also collects models of Loroi warships and has the full collection of space capable ships. Her biggest vice is Crossfire, but after 200 years of playing, opponents that can match up are hard to come by. Torimor Shadow plays her regularly and wins often enough. But she is a Mizol and Duskcrown treats these matches as a chance to keep her telepathic skills sharp.
SpoilerShow
She actually started out as a Listel, but switched careers to Soroin after a series of defeats in Crossfire against Soroin showed her that those of less natural ability are motivated to strife harder to overcome their disadvantage. So she told her Listel superiours that they should buy pencil and paper to substitute Duskcrown. Neither her nor Listel who remember like to talk about it.
Alex is a curiousity to her as an alien from the Loroi template species and a potential telepath. Physically she isn't interested at all, as she is a) significantly older than other Loroi, b) has regular contact as she is nearly always close to Azimol/Nezel and c) prefers her males masculine.

*She usually waives the privilege of the Torrai caste to only having to duel Torrai.

Alright...that might be a bit long. Did I miss something that was already put into Beacons?

Jethreuel

Post by Jethreuel »

I was not aware that Loroi could change castes sideways, that they could go into higher ranking but not entirely different functioning castes.

novius

Post by novius »

That's actually news to me, too, especially since one warrior is trained since childhood according to the caste she belongs to. But I wouldn't completely rule it out. While I think ascension to Torrai might be one fairly regular thing (since they Torrai do already start out in mid-to-high ranks, compared to the other castes), completely switching from one caste to another might be a very rare thing indeed and could only be done with rigorous aptitude tests beforehand.

But, I see it as possible that the Loroi wouldn't completely rule out the procedure, to allow for passing of novel ideas from one caste to another, to avoid them growing more and more insular towards each other. But, it's rare enough for such isolationistic tendencies between castes to persist.

Werra

Post by Werra »

They can switch castes. It needs the approval of the cast elders and reads as something that happens once in a while and not regularly. The warrior training is also mostly the same until after the Diral phase. Only then are the warriors send of to academies. As far as I know at least.