[Fan Fiction] Notes and discussion for "A sword that wields itself"

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: [Fan Fiction] Notes and discussion for "A sword that wields itself"

Post by Krulle »

Well, I never took it as anything but friendly banter.
My reply was meant to be read in a similar tone.
(straight face)
SpoilerShow
how much do we want to spoilt it all for the rest?

I think one of the most valuable things when finding such large artefacts in space, besides the obvious possible tech boost, is to find a stash of refined materials/alloys you don't have to lift into space.
For young spacefaring civilisations, this is an expensive part of space faring and can boost the space-based industry massively.
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 am
The matter of a material find is actually quite minor, since most of it will end up in various laboratories instead. Some of them will be completely unknown, and therefore, impossible to process, while others may have different characteristics and are best suited as study objects. The biggest boon is therefore information...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Long term always.
Tech makes things achievable and/or cheaper.

But hey, I think if Humans found a megatons ship hull in our solar system, we would take a few panels and bring them to Earth, but the rest would be outfitted to become a research station right where it is drifting. And analyse in sit until there's nothing to be gained anymore, then try to convert the ship hull into a new ship hull outfitted with Human tech.

But I presume many of the non-working artifacts will also be made from durable, yet cheap material and not be much above our stage of technology.

You'll still be able to learn from it a lot, but the manufacturing methods are what you want to know, and those will remain guesswork until you find a (scuttled) smelter or similar.

And laboratories won't need ktons of material to analyze.
A few hundred kg is far more than laboratories can process.

Furthermore, when having spacefaring civilizations on the scales of the Dreiman Empire, it's likely they have space-based smelters or similar anyway.
Planet bound material processors work differently than low-g material processors, and thus labs on gravity wells might be able to analyse the content and structure, but won't be able to find out how it is made.

Anyway, this is pure guesswork, and it is your story.
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Wow.. can't believe I missed thinking over what the Loroi want to know.

1. Are the hoomans working for a higher power who gifted them that ship?

2. If so... who?

3. What do they want?

This is all sounding full of intrigue, and reason for concern for both the shells and the Loroi.

Anytime somebody has ridulously high tech stuff shows up you have to worry about the status quo.

Still... I wonder how much of what the humans said was truthful and what if any... was a total lie?

Sounds like the humons are hiding something... and that is never good.

Plus Zarjow screams devious anyway.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Remember how utterly spooked Alex was when Tempo demonstrated a frightfully superior ability? Or how Alex gauged the overall fleet numbers that dwarfed all TCA forces? This is a story reversal, after all, so it stands to reason that there should be a similar scene(s).

Maybe the humans aren't actually lying, and they developed everything by themselves. Even in the comic, it is shown how fast "we" advance, albeit it's not that obvious since the tech level is still low. In my fanfic, however, Humanity had more time to develop, so it could've been "all natural", especially with some help from artifact finds. Or not... :shock:

The protagonist is not a Listel, so she did not possess the knowledge to assess, and most importantly, analyze the technological level in greater detail. Beryl is a highly competent scientist, though, thus she can and must.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:20 pm
Remember how utterly spooked Alex was when Tempo demonstrated a frightfully superior ability? Or how Alex gauged the overall fleet numbers that dwarfed all TCA forces? This is a story reversal, after all, so it stands to reason that there should be a similar scene(s).

Maybe the humans aren't actually lying, and they developed everything by themselves. Even in the comic, it is shown how fast "we" advance, albeit it's not that obvious since the tech level is still low. In my fanfic, however, Humanity had more time to develop, so it could've been "all natural", especially with some help from artifact finds. Or not... :shock:

The protagonist is not a Listel, so she did not possess the knowledge to assess, and most importantly, analyze the technological level in greater detail. Beryl is a highly competent scientist, though, thus she can and must.
Well I thought she was... did it not say somewhere that Emberwing had eidetic memory?

So she has the potential to be listel but was never trained to be one? Preferring the command rank?

I guess random Loroi are born with eidetic memory but not all are chosen as Listel?

I also presume Beryl would either be a good sidekick to Sherlock Holmes or annoy him to no end as a direct competitor lol.

Sherlock displayed unnatural attention to certain details specific to getting whatever he wanted done done. He ignored all else though as of little importance... including polite social skills.. unless it helped him sleuth.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 pm
Well I thought she was... did it not say somewhere that Emberwing had eidetic memory?

So she has the potential to be listel but was never trained to be one? Preferring the command rank?

I guess random Loroi are born with eidetic memory but not all are chosen as Listel?

I also presume Beryl would either be a good sidekick to Sherlock Holmes or annoy him to no end as a direct competitor lol.

Sherlock displayed unnatural attention to certain details specific to getting whatever he wanted done done. He ignored all else though as of little importance... including polite social skills.. unless it helped him sleuth.
While there are certain prerequisites (telekinesis for Teidar), or abilities that would help (eidetic memories for Listel), it is not an absolute necessity to join that particular caste. The Captain of the Black Razor, Ashrain, started out as a Teidar (hence the amplifier), but then switched to Soroin, and later, got promoted to Torrai.

Emberwing was born into a rather traditionalist clan, so she had the choice of either becoming a proper warrior (Soroin) or disgrace. Clans were de-jure disbanded long ago and have no true power, but de-facto? It's complicated. Her mentor, Truesword, trained her for the administrative branch, where the eidetic memory would be a great boon. Now, she has to find her own way. Also, the Listel mental training is surely helpful, but not strictly necessary.

Beryl would be a pretty, but pretty annoying assistant. Traits like "impulsive" or "easy to read" do not make for a good detective.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm
Bamax wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 pm

While there are certain prerequisites (telekinesis for Teidar), or abilities that would help (eidetic memories for Listel), it is not an absolute necessity to join that particular caste. The Captain of the Black Razor, Ashrain, started out as a Teidar (hence the amplifier), but then switched to Soroin, and later, got promoted to Torrai.

Emberwing was born into a rather traditionalist clan, so she had the choice of either becoming a proper warrior (Soroin) or disgrace. Clans were de-jure disbanded long ago and have no true power, but de-facto? It's complicated. Her mentor, Truesword, trained her for the administrative branch, where the eidetic memory would be a great boon. Now, she has to find her own way. Also, the Listel mental training is surely helpful, but not strictly necessary.

Beryl would be a pretty, but pretty annoying assistant. Traits like "impulsive" or "easy to read" do not make for a good detective.
Sounds like she would be perfect for the job of Doctor Who companion.

Provided she survives a season the Daleks may start to fear her given her memory and ability to learn.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Also we know the main cast but what does emberwing look like?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

There's actually a Dramatis personae section in the initial post, here is Emberwing's entry:
EmberwingShow
Initially aiming for the Listel caste, joined the warrior ranks at the insistence of her clans' matron, her grandmother. Born and raised on Deinar. Slightly below average height, has purple hair. Takes more after her Tadan father's bloodline, beautiful and has slightly darker skin. Ship's Crossfire champion. Second in command of her sister's ship, the "Nenzit"-class cruiser Blazing Spear. Brilliant, well-educated and endowed with an eidetic memory, but is inexperienced and somewhat naive due to her young age. Likes sweets. Has a bad habit of "locking" herself up on a single problem under great stress, sending her brain into an overdrive. While it may produce results, she will ignore anything else around her...
Hmm, maybe I should update that a bit.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm
There's actually a Dramatis personae section in the initial post, here is Emberwing's entry:
EmberwingShow
Initially aiming for the Listel caste, joined the warrior ranks at the insistence of her clans' matron, her grandmother. Born and raised on Deinar. Slightly below average height, has purple hair. Takes more after her Tadan father's bloodline, beautiful and has slightly darker skin. Ship's Crossfire champion. Second in command of her sister's ship, the "Nenzit"-class cruiser Blazing Spear. Brilliant, well-educated and endowed with an eidetic memory, but is inexperienced and somewhat naive due to her young age. Likes sweets. Has a bad habit of "locking" herself up on a single problem under great stress, sending her brain into an overdrive. While it may produce results, she will ignore anything else around her...
Hmm, maybe I should update that a bit.
So she is blue or gray skinned?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'd say that the Loroi are all blush-gray to a varying degree, with a slight variation along ethnicities:
Loroi Subraces wrote:Deinarid Loroi are found in many shapes, sizes and hues, and are roughly divided into three major racial groups: the Barraid, Tadan and Login. A non-Loroi would probably not notice the differences between the three. The Barraid inhabited the western highlands of Mestirot and are reputed to be tall and athletic, usually fair-skinned. The Tadan inhabited the central river valleys and are darker-skinned but also tall, and have a reputation for beauty.
Emberwings maternal line is a Barraid highlands clan, but her father (from whom she inherited her eidetic memory) is Tadan. This has led to a slightly darker than average skin, perhaps a tiny bit paler if compared to Ashrain, but not quite as much as Fireblade or even Beryl. Her skin would be also rather grayish, then bluish, but again, not quite as pronounced as with Ashrain.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Just read latest chapter, Beryl is I guess considered an exceptional Listel to serve on the 51st strike group.

Or perhaps it is just as Fireblade said, that Stillstorm is the only one able to keep the motley crew aboard the Tempest in line. Perhaps they are all as talented as they are potential liabilities?

Reason I say this is the Listel aboard Emberwing's ship that was blown up was more more... reserved with how she felt. Just cold resignation toward the inevitable that she did not wish to divulge until the local Teidar shoved her to speak up. Beryl is Beryl, regardless of her being a Listel or not, that's only her job.

Grammar: I enjoyed this chapter however:

1. The asian tech spoke with incomplete english. I presume it was because of her limited Trade skills showing. If that was so and not a mere typo by you, I am impressed. Furthermore Asians really do see speak incomplete english like that IRL too!

2. When Emberwing said 'those aliens' after Beryl thoyght it odd for a male to give orders, I think it shoud have been 'these aliens'.

Why?

As a native english speaker, if I say those I am referring to people some distance away or I am making a distinction between them and another group.

If they are right in front of me as they were with Beryl and Emberwing, I would say 'these aliens'.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am
Just read latest chapter, Beryl is I guess considered an exceptional Listel to serve on the 51st strike group.

Or perhaps it is just as Fireblade said, that Stillstorm is the only one able to keep the motley crew aboard the Tempest in line. Perhaps they are all as talented as they are potential liabilities?

Reason I say this is the Listel aboard Emberwing's ship that was blown up was more more... reserved with how she felt. Just cold resignation toward the inevitable that she did not wish to divulge until the local Teidar shoved her to speak up. Beryl is Beryl, regardless of her being a Listel or not, that's only her job.
Beryl is somewhat older and far more experienced, her quirky character aside, you could say that she is indeed an exceptional Listel. She is a Tozet, which means two ranks higher than the very young Sininran. It should be the highest "frontline" rank for her caste, an impressive achievement, since the next one is "Chronicler". Amber, Emberwings's friend, on the other hand, was actually the most junior Listel on board, she proved herself and was even promoted, but wasn't anywhere near being a veteran yet. Additionally, she was also rather shy and reserved.
Bamax wrote:
1. The asian tech spoke with incomplete english. I presume it was because of her limited Trade skills showing. If that was so and not a mere typo by you, I am impressed. Furthermore Asians really do see speak incomplete english like that IRL too!
Yes, she is simply not very fluent in Trade. Initially, the non-telepathic crew members weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the telepathic Loroi. It was purely her own initiative to learn the language. Anyway, I'll adjust that part a tiny bit.
Bamax wrote:
2. When Emberwing said 'those aliens' after Beryl thoyght it odd for a male to give orders, I think it shoud have been 'these aliens'.

Why?

As a native english speaker, if I say those I am referring to people some distance away or I am making a distinction between them and another group.

If they are right in front of me as they were with Beryl and Emberwing, I would say 'these aliens'.
Yep, that's an error, thanks for noticing.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

oh great. Thank you.

Now I wish I has someone like Kawabata Hana. Barging in and pulling the cookies out of my mouth.
I have such unhealthy eating habits in these home-office times...

So, some scientist of Humanity predicted from the findings they have done a blue elven species with telepathy?

oh, I don't want to wait to find out what you've planned for us.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Krulle wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
oh great. Thank you.

Now I wish I has someone like Kawabata Hana. Barging in and pulling the cookies out of my mouth.
I have such unhealthy eating habits in these home-office times...
Gluttony is indeed a deadly sin, but you can avoid that if you eat pie instead of cookies. Why? Because the sin of pi is zero.
Krulle wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
So, some scientist of Humanity predicted from the findings they have done a blue elven species with telepathy?

oh, I don't want to wait to find out what you've planned for us.
Nope, she simply meant that the "elves" are a copy, or an offshoot of us. The Professor has studied the evidence from the wreck and came to this conclusion. Yep. No double meaning or anything. Definitely.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Read the intermission... not sure if you included remarks about Emberwing's appearance to humans due to reader ignorance (such as mine), but nice touch.

Like a knew she was pretty, since Zarjow I think said she was.

But that is nothing special, inasmuch all of the current cast in the comic are, and whether one is considered best looking has a lot to do with personal preference.

Princess is far more descriptive of her looks, as when I think princess, I immediately think of what my culture has educated me about princesses. Which for an American... goes little beyond watching Disney movies with princesses, unless an American wishes to dig deeper. But disney princesses have big eyes and cute faces, so I am presuming Emberwing kind of looks like a gorgeous disney alien princess with flowing purple hair and gray skin that is slightly darker than the usual... if I got the color right?

Personally I find Ashrain to be arguably one of the prettiest Loroi gals around... probably because she's like the Loroi version of a classy blond woman.

The rest, including Moonglow and ironically even Stillstorm despite how other readers see her, are attractive more because of their mannerisms and personalities. It's kind of funny that someone online said Stillstorm is only sexy in a dominatrix sort of way... but I really do not think that's fair to Stillstorm, as I presumed there is more to her character than what is on the surface. Just looking at her you can tell she has a weathered look... like she has been through something... and she indeed has.

Though I will also say Stillstorm is also quite pretty, you just never know it since in the comic she is so stern. She also according to Arioch is a strong telepath, though she is no Mizol or Teidar, she could probably do at least some of what Mizol do, just minus the telekinesis.
Last edited by Bamax on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

And what color are Emberwing's eyes? Orange?
Is that why her parents named her Emberwing? Or did she get that name for a later achievement instead?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:56 am
Read the intermission... not sure if you included remarks about Emberwing's appearance to humans due to reader ignorance (such as mine), but nice touch.
This is party due to the "sleeping princess" trope, but she is indeed beautiful. On the other hand, all Loroi are very pretty, Arioch the Soia made sure to improve this aspect over its template as well.
Bamax wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:56 am
Like a knew she was pretty, since Zarjow I think said she was.
Even if that was true, it was still flattery.
SpoilerShow
I've rolled her stats, and her appearance value is quite high. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed in GURPS, so I can't make a comparable character sheet.
Bamax wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:05 am
And what color are Emberwing's eyes? Orange?
Yep, although not quite as bright as Talon's, more like this one's here.
Bamax wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:05 am
Is that why her parents named her Emberwing? Or did she get that name for a later achievement instead?
Both reasons, actually. I've included two hints about her naming in the dream sequences:

Dreamscape duel:
Chapter IXShow
“Oh, so the tiny Ember grew into a flame bold and bright enough to outshine the moon?” Her sister’s smile grew into a vicious grin, “I thought that you were too much of a coward to wear this heavy armor of command?” The specter that resembled her sister pointed at her chest.
Diral reminiscence:
Chapter XIIIShow
The whole dream was utterly ridiculous, thought Emberwing. This particular hunt back then went wrong, since one of the diral sisters from her group tripped, thus alerting the quarry. The huge boar quickly assembled the herd and charged right at the hapless hunters, forcing her squad to climb a tree in order to escape its fury. The beast relented only half a day later, and upon returning to the camp, the four were mockingly called winged miros for the desperate speed with which they practically flew up the tree. It took her quite some time to transform that “winged” moniker from an insult into an acknowledgment of her fleetness in both mind and body.
I've asked Arioch about the traditions concerning the assignment of a spoken name:
SpoilerShow
Arioch wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:16 pm
Spoken names are formally assigned as part of the diral graduation ceremony by the group of elders running the training campus. Prior to that, the child would have been called by a nickname or an epithet chosen by her peers (if she had a spoken nickname at all). The name chosen is based on the individual's perceived personality and reputation, often taking into account existing epithets or nicknames, and the nature of her telepathic signature (you can probably guess how Fireblade got her name). Unlike the diral names which are deliberately rude and derogatory, by tradition the elders try to mane the new spoken names sound as cool as possible; some subcultures are superstitious about a warrior's future success being impacted by how cool her name is. A super-badass name may also be a lot to live up to, and may even be seen as a portent of future heroic sacrifice in subcultures that believe in dalid. If you get a pretty name like "Beryl" or "Moonglow," that may be the elders' way of saying, "Well... she has a nice personality."

In contrast, a Loroi who drops out of warrior training will probably be stuck with a derogatory nickname as her spoken name. Fortunately, spoken names are not as important for civilians as they are for warriors.

It is possible for a warrior's name to change during her lifetime, based on heroic achievements (or infamous ones). I imagine that Eighth Dawn's got that name later in life, after some super-awesome incident.

It might seem weird for a Loroi to go without a spoken name for most of her childhood, but I seem to recall reading that in some times and places during human history, especially during hard times of plague and strife, child mortality was so high that they didn't bother naming their children until they survived to a certain age, or give them generic placeholder names (such as in Japan; Taro, Jiro and Saburo are just generic names for first, second, and third sons).
During her childhood, Emberwing was regarded as rather promising, but not very ambitious. Maybe because she wanted to be a Listel, but that was not allowed? Therefore, as a girl, her nickname was "Little/Tiny Ember" instead of something more awesome, like "Firelight", for example. Her diral name is a highly private matter, and she won't divulge it. After that hunting failure, she and the three others were called "winged miros" by their diral sisters anyway. However, she managed to prove herself and this was rewarded with a proper, even though not a super-badass spoken name after her trials. Her older sister's name, Moonblade, on the other hand, is meant to be cool.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Interestingly, people gave Loroi to play all sorts of VR like the Ghost of Tsushima. Why not give them something like Half Life?

Well, you know, Alex or Black Mesa... Headcrabs, zombies, a lot of alien violence against humans and vice versa... and all this in the scenery of periodic horror and a permanent fubar that only gets WORSE...

Fireblade might even appreciate... 8-)