Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread 
Author Message

Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am
Posts: 770
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:
Any chance we will see Kikitik-27 in the future? His style of speech is amazing.

Well, he made a point of saying his name, and other characters have talked about him several times now.

Odds that he has no further part in the story: 0.0%

Interesting answer.
You answered he will play a role in the story, but you have NOT answered whether we'll see him.

But, this is a graphical novel.
Of course that increases our chances to see him/it.

[edit]added quote, as this post appeared on a new page, easier to discuss that way[/edit]

_________________
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123


Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:14 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quick question about the Historian holographic apparatus (which looks like a trash can that was born out of a flowerpot), in page 52 it looks like the handles at the side morphed into legs for the whole thing to stand on. On page 65 the legs have now shifted into handles. How does it do that?

Is it a form of 'smart' material able to take several pre-programmed shapes or is it more fluid and versatile in nature able to become any shape the A.I. wants?

_________________
My fan fics:

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)


Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
dragoongfa wrote:
Quick question about the Historian holographic apparatus (which looks like a trash can that was born out of a flowerpot), in page 52 it looks like the handles at the side morphed into legs for the whole thing to stand on. On page 65 the legs have now shifted into handles. How does it do that?

Is it a form of 'smart' material able to take several pre-programmed shapes or is it more fluid and versatile in nature able to become any shape the A.I. wants?


Is it necessarily the same one? It sort of makes sense from a story telling perspective that it would be, but the AI apparently moves from bucket to bucket?


Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
dragoongfa wrote:
Quick question about the Historian holographic apparatus (which looks like a trash can that was born out of a flowerpot), in page 52 it looks like the handles at the side morphed into legs for the whole thing to stand on. On page 65 the legs have now shifted into handles. How does it do that?

Is it a form of 'smart' material able to take several pre-programmed shapes or is it more fluid and versatile in nature able to become any shape the A.I. wants?

The "limbs" of the jar can change shape to a certain extent. I expect that it has some limitations as to shape and the speed and force with which it can change shape, but within that envelope it is controllable. But I don't see it as being a T1000-like fluid metal.

_________________
Outsider


Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Ah yes, on the last panel of page 65 we can already see Cloud has changed the shape of the bin's supports.

_________________
Image


Mon May 06, 2019 3:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 433
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Insider wrote:
[Golim] are one of the few alien races that are permitted to serve aboard Loroi warships.

What are the other races that serve aboard Loroi warships and how common is that?

Are there non Loroi serving with SG51?


Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Werra wrote:
Insider wrote:
[Golim] are one of the few alien races that are permitted to serve aboard Loroi warships.

What are the other races that serve aboard Loroi warships and how common is that?

The Loroi military structure recognizes a number of foreign military attaché titles that allow aliens to serve aboard Loroi warships, mostly in an advisory capacity. They can be of any species. They are not very common and are most often used as a local liaison when a fleet is operating in another race's territory.

Werra wrote:
Are there non Loroi serving with SG51?

Yes, most of the ships have Golim crewmembers. They are technically civilian contractors.

And yes, this means Tempest has Golim aboard. Alex was originally supposed to walk past one on his first walk to the bridge, but the visual design wasn't ready. It's probably just as well, as I think it would have been an unhelpful distraction, narrative-wise.

_________________
Outsider


Wed May 08, 2019 8:56 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:
Insider wrote:
[Golim] are one of the few alien races that are permitted to serve aboard Loroi warships.

What are the other races that serve aboard Loroi warships and how common is that?

The Loroi military structure recognizes a number of foreign military attaché titles that allow aliens to serve aboard Loroi warships, mostly in an advisory capacity. They can be of any species. They are not very common and are most often used as a local liaison when a fleet is operating in another race's territory.

Werra wrote:
Are there non Loroi serving with SG51?

Yes, most of the ships have Golim crewmembers. They are technically civilian contractors.

And yes, this means Tempest has Golim aboard. Alex was originally supposed to walk past one on his first walk to the bridge, but the visual design wasn't ready. It's probably just as well, as I think it would have been an unhelpful distraction, narrative-wise.


Maybe a good idea for the loroi not to overwhelm him with sensory input, either, as they don't necessarily know how much information he can handle at once, with what's going to happen at the end of his walk. (And what he's recently been through)


Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 433
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Maybe for the best that he didn't see a mind slave shortly after the Loroi tried their probing.


Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
So its not the Gallen or Soroin that are supposed to be on latrine or canteen duty after all. :P

_________________
Image


Wed May 08, 2019 2:25 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 am
Posts: 321
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Yes, most of the ships have Golim crewmembers. They are technically civilian contractors.

And yes, this means Tempest has Golim aboard.


Interesting. I would have expected Neridi to serve aboard Loroi warships, since they already serve on the stations and as couriers.


Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
entity2636 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Yes, most of the ships have Golim crewmembers. They are technically civilian contractors.

And yes, this means Tempest has Golim aboard.


Interesting. I would have expected Neridi to serve aboard Loroi warships, since they already serve on the stations and as couriers.

The Loroi don't like having alien civilians aboard their warships. They make an exception for the Golim because of their unique capabilities. The natural Golim ability to work in high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environments makes them very useful for certain kinds of engineering work. They're not there to clean toilets or make sandwiches.

There are Neridi aboard some of the stations at Leido Crossroads because it's technically their territory and under their administration.

_________________
Outsider


Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
But how effective are the Golim in performing these tasks if they're so easily distracted by the presence of nearby Loroi?
Also, may we assume their own technological base makes great strides forward due to the firsthand experience former attached workers bring back home after a 'tour of duty' in the Loroi military?

_________________
Image


Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
GeoModder wrote:
But how effective are the Golim in performing these tasks if they're so easily distracted by the presence of nearby Loroi?

If the nearby Loroi are involved in the same work, it's not a distraction. It only becomes a problem if there are two nearby Loroi who want the Golim to do different things.

GeoModder wrote:
Also, may we assume their own technological base makes great strides forward due to the firsthand experience former attached workers bring back home after a 'tour of duty' in the Loroi military?

The Golim have a sort of bifurcated culture. Those Golim who live and work amongst the Loroi and other aliens are at the same technological level as the rest of the Union, exercise full Union membership, and are in nominal administrative control of a number of worlds in the anti-spinward portion of the Seren sector, unofficially known as "Golim territory" (though, in practice, these are of course under Loroi control). Those Golim who live in the preserve on the Golim homeworld practice a more traditional (technologically backward) lifestyle, and are mostly isolated from Union affairs. The expatriate Golim seldom want to return to the preserve to bring their expertise to the traditionalists, and when they do, their teachings are usually not welcome. The flow of migration from the Golim-chei preserve tends to be one way: out.

_________________
Outsider


Thu May 09, 2019 9:47 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Also, may we assume their own technological base makes great strides forward due to the firsthand experience former attached workers bring back home after a 'tour of duty' in the Loroi military?

The Golim have a sort of bifurcated culture. Those Golim who live and work amongst the Loroi and other aliens are at the same technological level as the rest of the Union, exercise full Union membership, and are in nominal administrative control of a number of worlds in the anti-spinward portion of the Seren sector, unofficially known as "Golim territory" (though, in practice, these are of course under Loroi control). Those Golim who live in the preserve on the Golim homeworld practice a more traditional (technologically backward) lifestyle, and are mostly isolated from Union affairs. The expatriate Golim seldom want to return to the preserve to bring their expertise to the traditionalists, and when they do, their teachings are usually not welcome. The flow of migration from the Golim-chei preserve tends to be one way: out.


Ah, that's a nice tidbit to know. The section on the Golim in the "Races of the Loroi Union" page doesn't make this clear. Thanks!

_________________
Image


Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am
Posts: 161
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
By the way, what is the correct spelling of "Orgus"? Directly by trade spelling rules?


Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
SVlad wrote:
By the way, what is the correct spelling of "Orgus"? Directly by trade spelling rules?

Depends on which dialect of Trade. In the Barsam and Periphery dialects, it's just "Orgus". In the Loroi dialect, it's "Orgos".

The normal conversion of sounds in the Loroi dialect is:
j => z
v => b
u => o
k => g
tch/ch => sh

_________________
Outsider


Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am
Posts: 161
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
I meant that when humanity met Orgus, they don't know about different dialects. So how did Orgus spelled it themselfs?


Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
SVlad wrote:
I meant that when humanity met Orgus, they don't know about different dialects. So how did Orgus spelled it themselfs?

The Orgus use the Periphery dialect, which has a different script than Loroi Trade. It's spelled "orgus" in the Periphery dialect.

_________________
Outsider


Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am
Posts: 161
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Thanks


Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quick question about the Historian A.I. constructs in general.

Do they have individual occupational preferences? i.e. Would they prefer to be a diplomat instead of something lowly like a garbage disposal supervisor?

I wonder because I can imagine an A.I. recoiling at the thought of being relegated to a videogame opponent for angry teenagers.

_________________
My fan fics:

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)


Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
dragoongfa wrote:
Quick question about the Historian A.I. constructs in general.

Do they have individual occupational preferences? i.e. Would they prefer to be a diplomat instead of something lowly like a garbage disposal supervisor?

I wonder because I can imagine an A.I. recoiling at the thought of being relegated to a videogame opponent for angry teenagers.

No comment. :D

_________________
Outsider


Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 433
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
If they hadn't a personality, Historians would be poor personality constructs. From that it seems to follow that they can grow and learn. So they might come out of the factory all the same, but after a few tours of duty, Historians should be distinct individuals.


Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 am
Posts: 277
Location: The Space Coast
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Just a note, Arioch, that you have a repeated word in the Biology section of the Nissek entry in "Races of the Loroi Alliance":

Quote:
...the Nissek are noted for their flexible dietary dietary requirements...

(My bold).

CJSF


Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
cacambo43 wrote:
Just a note, Arioch, that you have a repeated word in the Biology section of the Nissek entry in "Races of the Loroi Alliance":

Quote:
...the Nissek are noted for their flexible dietary dietary requirements...

(My bold).

CJSF

Thanks.

_________________
Outsider


Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cacambo43 and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.