Reply to topic  [ 3693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread 
Author Message

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 am
Posts: 6
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Monologue? You say something is wrong and provide no proof when the preponderance of evidence proves the reverse, I also provided direct verifiable comments to counter statements made by you.

Self evident fact(or assumed fact) is something that is proven by repeated experiments and in science is considered true unless evidence is provided that suggests otherwise.

If you want to prove me wrong great...
Show me technology that can discriminate between a few stray photons, lets go crazy here and say 100 a second(vastly overestimated) compared to the background noise of a million(lets go crazy and vastly UNDERESTIMATE) of photons in the same frequency reaching the detector from other sources(the sun) at Jupiters average orbit.
Their are more random photons hitting hydrogen atoms in space and reflecting off them towards the detector from the suns emittance then from comm lasers. More light reflecting off ships from the sun then from the lasers too...

When a signal drops below the noise ratio(SNR) detecting a signal becomes near impossible(but never zero)
You want to claim its otherwise provide no proof and then suggest I don't want a discussion because I call you on your lack of evidence?

Further its one thing to claim something for your game world, its another to claim it as fact in the physical world, Arioch has stated outright that MINES CANT WORK IN SPACE...

He provided no proof or evidence to back this up, its a statement with only speculation to support it which is proven false, even through I messed up my calculation it didn't change the result. As a matter of fact thanks to the correction from a second forum member 3rd source of evidence that the claimed reason for mines not being able to work by Arioch is false.

The fact that calling into account something Arioch said as being wrong is causing some people such problems on this forum is both amusing and blowing my mind.

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

MBehave wrote:
The difficulty at detecting the extremely low levels of backscatter in space is common knowledge and is SELF EVIDENT FACT, that does not require me to provide any sources.
Ahh, I see. I had mistaken this for a discussion.

Have fun with your monologue, but I don't think you're going to get much traction with anyone.


Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 1505
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Sigh...

Mines cannot work in space because you cannot have enough of them nor you are able to hide them in sufficient numbers to fill their purpose which is area denial. Space is big, a single light second is 300.000 km's and it is the base measurement of distance in every sci-fi setting; more so in a setting where ships are supposed to traverse a star system in a matter of days.

You would need literally millions if not billions of mines to cover the comparatively miniscule area of one cubic light second and we are not talking small nuclera mines with the equivalent yield of a few kilotons that would feel like a fart in the void. To destroy a warship you would need mines big enough to damage and cripple said warship not just on impact but on close proximity. It would thus need a large enough warhead, a sensor suite and a thruster suite to maintain position for an extended amount of time that could extend for months if not years.

Now take the above 'mine', stealth it up and the millions if not billions of them necessary to deny access to a single cubic light second; then multiply the cubic light seconds you have to cover to make an effective area denial minefield. When you realize the industrial capacity and investment of resources you would need to do all this ask yourself why you shouldn't invest all that to a new fleet and bring the fight to the enemy instead of wasting the resources on a single minefield that can be easily bypassed once detected.

_________________
My fan fics:

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)


Last edited by dragoongfa on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:01 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Let's drop it. Nothing constructive will come from this "discussion."

_________________
Outsider


Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 am
Posts: 337
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
@MBehave: I'm reasonably sure the problem people are having is not so much with the fact that you are disagreeing with Arioch, but the manner in which that disagreement was conducted. In deference to Arioch's request I'll leave it at that.

_________________
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod


Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 3:33 am
Posts: 497
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:
How certain are the Soia Liron species that the Soia had telepathy themselfes? I believe you said something about amplifiers and similar equipment being found, but could those have been meant for early Loroi?

According to the Loroi, the Soia and the early Loroi were one and the same, but they have no proof of this.


And, it could just mean that the amplifiers are working on a fundamental principle of telepathy/telekinetics all species with psionic powers share, regardless of their brain structure. Yet, the Loroi believe they're descendants of the Soia. That would only happen if the amps they found in the ruins were of similar design compared to what they have in current use - it's hard to claim kinship to an extinct species if their heads would have been shaped completely dissimilar, I think.


Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:02 am
Posts: 122
Location: On your PC as a background program.
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
What's the Loroi protocol for systems in their territory with a destroyed or disabled station?

Will Alex and company be able to count on messenger ships being left in the system once it's retaken by the Loroi, or will they have to power back up the shuttle in time to send a distress signal while the cavalry are still clearing out the Umiak currently there -- lest they risk losing a few days adrift in an emptied system?

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:57 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
CF2 wrote:
What's the Loroi protocol for systems in their territory with a destroyed or disabled station?

Will Alex and company be able to count on messenger ships being left in the system once it's retaken by the Loroi, or will they have to power back up the shuttle in time to send a distress signal while the cavalry are still clearing out the Umiak currently there -- lest they risk losing a few days adrift in an emptied system?

It depends on the location. Leido is an important crossroads, and the Azimol base is right in the next system, so there is likely to be traffic in the system whether or not there is infrastructure there (assuming the system is not being contested by the enemy).

_________________
Outsider


Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 330
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
If the Loroi have materials that amplify their abilities, do they also possess or know of materials that inhibit them?


Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:34 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:02 am
Posts: 122
Location: On your PC as a background program.
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Werra wrote:
If the Loroi have materials that amplify their abilities, do they also possess or know of materials that inhibit them?

They sure do, they call it Alex Jardin. :P

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 30
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
How ship cost scale in outsideer universe?

Will it be cheaper to create large battleships incstead of vast amount of small ships? (Somthing like this thing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bellator ... readnought )
You need one navigation computer instad of many, one hyperdrive (Bigger hyperdrive-> more easy to produce, like with modern ship engines?), less crew and so on, steel and other materials for big hull cost nothing.
You can install strong shields to repel enemy fire so ship can escape if overhelmed, when large fleet of small ships allways lose some of them and need to replace.


Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 671
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 30
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
GeoModder wrote:
The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.


Well, their main purpose is catch smugglers and other criminals after all?
I am not sure if they even used their weapons once.


Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 671
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.


I am not sure if they even used their weapons once.


Ask Arioch? ;)
In any case, a large number of hulls is always handy to show the flag in as many locations as possible. It's a doctrine both the Loroi and Umiak follow.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:20 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
How ship cost scale in outsideer universe?

Will it be cheaper to create large battleships incstead of vast amount of small ships? (Somthing like this thing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bellator ... readnought )
You need one navigation computer instad of many, one hyperdrive (Bigger hyperdrive-> more easy to produce, like with modern ship engines?), less crew and so on, steel and other materials for big hull cost nothing.
You can install strong shields to repel enemy fire so ship can escape if overhelmed, when large fleet of small ships allways lose some of them and need to replace.

In real-world navies, cost per ton of ships tends to increase as the ships get larger, rather than the reverse. This is for a number of different reasons: larger ships require more robust structural design; larger ships tend to require a wider range of capabilities and systems, and usually mount larger and more expensive weapons; larger ships require more and larger construction infrastructure to build, and usually take longer to build than two smaller ships of a similar total tonnage that could be assembled simultaneously in two smaller shipyards. I think these same factors will apply to ships in Outsider; a large battleship will cost more than the equal tonnage of light cruisers, for example.

Larger ships have greater firepower per ton and greater protection per ton, but are less maneuverable (a larger ship has a larger moment of inertia and so takes longer to rotate even when it has the same thrust relative to its mass), can be in fewer places at once, and suffer from the Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy (in shooting warfare, a unit with twice the firepower of another does not have twice the combat value, because it usually can't engage twice as many targets simultaneously, and it usually doesn't take twice the number of hits to kill). Even if larger ships were cheaper per ton, you'd still want a mixture of sizes and types, because battleships are not best in every role (anti-missile, anti-gunboat, patrol, etc.), and a small number of large battleships cannot be in the same number of different places that a larger number of smaller vessels can be. A fleet consisting only of battleships would not be a very effective fleet (though I wouldn't want to be the first one that it got mad at).

Zorg56 wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.

Well, their main purpose is catch smugglers and other criminals after all?
I am not sure if they even used their weapons once.

The TCA has never fought in a genuine war, and their primary role is patrol, so they definitely need a larger number of smaller vessels. The heavy cruisers were built primarily as deterrence, and are rarely even operated.

I'm sure that at least one TCA warship must at some point have fired its weapons in anger.

_________________
Outsider


Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 671
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Short question about the Dinnan sector.

It does not yet has enough population and/or inhabited planets to warrant its own defensive sector fleet?
I'm asking because the Insider page on Loroi warships mentions only 6 fleets plus the Tellai reserve.

_________________
Image


Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:30 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
GeoModder wrote:
Short question about the Dinnan sector.
It does not yet has enough population and/or inhabited planets to warrant its own defensive sector fleet?

Yes, that and it has no contact yet with any foreign territory. There will be a few patrol & support vessels drawn from the Minzan and Maoren pools, but as yet it does not have a need for a formal defensive fleet.

_________________
Outsider


Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 30
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?


Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am
Posts: 203
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?


'No, knave.'


Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?

What sort of information are you looking for?

_________________
Outsider


Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:44 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 30
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Arioch wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?

What sort of information are you looking for?


Just more detailed history and social information.
Wonder how strong psionics affected society, and warfare.
In medival period one psionic can kill thousands if i understood insider correctly.


Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 403
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Considering an earlier argument in the tread. If you absolutely want to use mines in space I would go for self activating missiles in orbit around something. Then again the term may change meaning. What we today call mines was first called torpedoes. I suspect that the word "mine" in military term may have had something to do with the job of a sapper, a soldier that dug holes under enemy installations and planted explosives there and before the invention of explosives undermined their foundations or simply dug entrance tunnels for troops to get under that pesky wall. Apparently the first seismographs was invented to detect these.


Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:32 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 403
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?

What sort of information are you looking for?


Just more detailed history and social information.
Wonder how strong psionics affected society, and warfare.
In medival period one psionic can kill thousands if i understood insider correctly.


Or just give them an headache if there are no amplifiers around. In such a scenario actual amplifiers would be ancient artifacts and by themselves be worth fighting wars over. an ancient Teidar could perhaps kill single targets thou but would face the same treatment as snipers do, they would become priority targets on the battlefield and cannot expect good treatment if captured.


Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:35 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2675
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Zorg56 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?

What sort of information are you looking for?

Just more detailed history and social information.
Wonder how strong psionics affected society, and warfare.
In medival period one psionic can kill thousands if i understood insider correctly.

It's a pretty big topic, as it's the history of not just one world, but three. I have a significant amount of notes on the details of Deinar history, and I can fashion an Insider entry out of them if there is interest, but it's a pretty big job, and a subject that's a bit of tangent from the story itself.

Psionic amplifiers were not discovered until after the rediscovery of spaceflight, so there were none available during Loroi history on all three worlds. Naturally lethal unamplified psychokinetic power is relatively rare, and so the telepathic abilities of psionic soldiers were often more dangerous than their PK abilities. In the Deinar tradition, psionic soldiers were mainly deployed as unit commanders, and telekinesis was most often used as a defensive weapon to protect troops around her from missiles, etc., and telepathic abilities were used both offensively and defensively; Teidar vs. Teidar battles were mostly telepathic and physical contests, with the odd "force push" used for utility. In the Perrein tradition, large battles between infantry units were more rare, and so psionic soldiers were more often used solo or in small groups in a commando or covert mode. The Mizol still use PK primarily as a utility, and rarely use amplifiers.

_________________
Outsider


Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 am
Posts: 23
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
+1 vote to focus on the web comic, at least for the foreseeable future.


Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:02 am
Posts: 122
Location: On your PC as a background program.
Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Are Loroi stronger, or more durable, than humans? Can we expect them to become injured from the same causes, or will they shrug off certain sources of injury more easily?

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.