Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

When I'm walking to and from work, 50 degrees Fahrenheit is "jeans and a t-shirt" weather, as long as the sun is shining. If I'm just standing around and not moving, then it would probably get to be miserably cold at that temperature. 60 Fahrenheit is chilly without being active, but perfectly workable.

That being said, Alex's jumpsuit looks pretty warm.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Thanks, Dorfington.

Haven't seen those images yet.
Ah, posted 2010. Before my current Outsider fandom.Last time I also wasn't participating in any forums....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Let's put the question to rest because now it is bugging even me (and I think that this has been asked before but can't for the life of me find it):

How strong are the Loroi in physical terms?

Matching their human counterparts, stronger, weaker that short of thing. I would expect for Loroi warriors to match a physically adept woman, perhaps even a noticeable fraction stronger.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

dragoongfa wrote:Let's put the question to rest because now it is bugging even me (and I think that this has been asked before but can't for the life of me find it):

Matching their human counterparts, stronger, weaker that short of thing. I would expect for Loroi warriors to match a physically adept woman, perhaps even a noticeable fraction stronger.
C'mon over to the page 126 thread where we are talking about his very thing!

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Let's put the question to rest because now it is bugging even me (and I think that this has been asked before but can't for the life of me find it):

Female Loroi have similar strength as a human male of the same height, and slightly better endurance (though a human male of the same height will probably outweigh her by about 10%). You can consult the GURPS character sheets if you want specific examples (in this system, Alex is ST10 DX10 IQ17 HT10).

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:

Female Loroi have similar strength as a human male of the same height, and slightly better endurance (though a human male of the same height will probably outweigh her by about 10%). You can consult the GURPS character sheets if you want specific examples (in this system, Alex is ST10 DX10 IQ17 HT10).
Being pedantic here but is that in the category of 'untrained modern male' or 'trained archetypal male'?

EDIT: Because if its the later then I think that I have one more mental reason to get buffed and do some corrections to stuff

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Being pedantic here but is that in the category of 'untrained modern male' or 'trained archetypal male'?
The subjects in this case are all active duty military personnel, so we assume a certain level of training and fitness.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Time to get back into a fitness mode a little, even if Alex is a little on the skinny side in terms of manliness :P

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

dragoongfa wrote:Time to get back into a fitness mode a little, even if Alex is a little on the skinny side in terms of manliness :P
Isn't that good if he's trying to attract loroi, though? He'd also be better off 5-8 years younger so he was of the right height, as well, presumably.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

boldilocks wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Time to get back into a fitness mode a little, even if Alex is a little on the skinny side in terms of manliness :P
Isn't that good if he's trying to attract loroi, though? He'd also be better off 5-8 years younger so he was of the right height, as well, presumably.
LOL if he was trying to attract loroi, then maybe, but he isn't :) So far only one loroi, a certain cute white haired one, appears to be trying to attract him. Which would be a good thing, if not for the war outside
Last edited by entity2636 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Arioch wrote: You can consult the GURPS character sheets if you want specific examples (in this system, Alex is ST10 DX10 IQ17 HT10).
Hmm, maybe you could, free time permitting, but not at the expense of new updates to the comic, make character sheets for the rest of the main cast and put them in the Insider?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

entity2636 wrote:LOL if he was trying to attract loroi, then maybe, but he isn't :) So far only one loroi, a certain cute white haired one, appears to be trying to attract him. Which would be a good thing, if not for the war outside
Oh please, Fireblade is just too shy to say something. Pretty soon she'll be leaving hunting trophies in his locker.
And you can't tell me Reed volunteered for guard duty for no reason.
And Mozin? You don't call some guy "little brother" unless you've got a serious man-crush going on.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

boldilocks wrote:Oh please, Fireblade is just too shy to say something. Pretty soon she'll be leaving hunting trophies in his locker.
:lol: like a cat bringing it's owners the birds and mice it caught? :lol:

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

entity2636 wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Oh please, Fireblade is just too shy to say something. Pretty soon she'll be leaving hunting trophies in his locker.
:lol: like a cat bringing it's owners the birds and mice it caught? :lol:
Thanks for that, now I'm stuck with an Outsider version of the scene from the Godfather with the horse's head stuck in my mind, followed by Beryl having to explain to Alex how he's overreacting without letting on that it is Fireblade's way of saying she thinks he would be a fine mate. :lol:

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:

Not familiar with GURPS, but it appears Alex is smarter than even Beryl :shock:

I forgot about those [redacted] portions of the character sheets. Always makes me wonder.

...and Beryl's quirks are positively adorable.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

orion1836 wrote:Not familiar with GURPS, but it appears Alex is smarter than even Beryl :shock:
Obviously the man is smarter. This is a realistic space opera, after all. :|

A half-dead man adrift in space is exactly what's needed for a race of women trying to run a war. Now of course, those silly geese can relax because the man is here to put things in order.
First on the list, no more putting the toilet seat down, Deborah, I leave it as I like!

Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

orion1836 wrote: Not familiar with GURPS, but it appears Alex is smarter than even Beryl :shock:
True, but since GURPS is a point-buy-for-everything system, that just means he spent a few extra points on general intelligence, while Beryl probably spent those same points on "being a telepathic space elf" and her smattering of science skills.

And I totally forgot about the GURPS charsheets when I posted earlier. Fireblade has a perfectly respectable strength 12, which fits well with her height and linebacker shoulderblades, Tempo's perfectly average at 10, and Beryl's got Str 9, which fits her noodly nerd arms.

Having the sheets on hand also clarifies a lot about the major differences between humans and Loroi (though not minor differences like body temperature and smell -- those probably aren't even worth a 1-point quirk). Aside from telepathy, early maturation, and cultural point values, the only real difference is their +1 HT -- meaning they're generally a little sturdier and more resistant to disease, but not so much that your average Loroi and Hugh Mann the Earthling aren't about equally likely to die from bullets (firearms are not kind in GURPS). There's no real noticeable change to strength, so any differences there can be attributed to either "minor" differences, or the fact that GURPS does not enforce gender differentiation in stats.

...Now I really want to play GURPS again.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I always figured that Alex would be smarter because of his position. Beryl may be the smartest person that Strike Group 51 has to offer, but Alex is among the smartest people that humanity as a whole has to offer. Everyone that went on the contact mission was in the literal best of the best category, and in the flashback scene we find out that Alex was distinguished from the others in his graduating class because of his uncanny intelligence.

(In terms of GURPS one point in an attribute can be a significant difference. Basic Lifting is (STR x STR)/5 pounds. Max carry is STR x STR x 3, for 4th edition at least.)

---

On an unrelated note, I am curious if there are any formal or informal gestures for respect or disrespect. Is there any kind of tradition like standing at attention or saluting when being addressed by a superior? (I'm guessing they don't literally have a human salute, but something that serves a similar function maybe.) Is it considered disrespectful in certain contexts to look away when being addressed, even though asking a question with telepathy will get an honest impression either way?
Last edited by icekatze on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Gorbash wrote:
orion1836 wrote: Not familiar with GURPS, but it appears Alex is smarter than even Beryl :shock:
True, but since GURPS is a point-buy-for-everything system, that just means he spent a few extra points on general intelligence, while Beryl probably spent those same points on "being a telepathic space elf" and her smattering of science skills.
Also worth noting the various characters are built to different point totals, though. They're listed in the top right of the sheets.

I'm also amused by the sheets(if taken as hard gospel, which you obviously shouldn't) tell us that Beryl is definitively the least attractive of the main three Loroi, which I imagine some around here would take issue with :lol:
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

I'm also amused by the sheets(if taken as hard gospel, which you obviously shouldn't) tell us that Beryl is definitively the least attractive of the main three Loroi, which I imagine some around here would take issue with :lol:
That's made me curious as to how high Alex himself would rank on the beauty scale on his GURP sheet. I'd imagine he's at least a solid ten. ;)