The Aircraft Image Posting Contest

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: Page 99

Post by Trantor »

GeoModder wrote:The Messerschmidt 262 definitely was a game-breaker in air warfare because of its speed and some other flying aspects. And the first in reliable operation.
But only a few years later jets from other nations surpassed it.
No wonder, without continuing development. ;)
GeoModder wrote:So what I mean to ask is, is there a German term for a cutting-edge system/object, that only shines for a short term before it is surpassed by others?
Ah, now i get it.
But no, there is no special genuine or slang word for those things.

We call forerunners or trailblazers like this "Wegbereiter", but this word can be applied to a lot of things, cars e.g., the Audi Quattro was a "Wegbereiter".
"Weg" means "way" and "Bereiter" in this sense/translation can roughly be translated as the first who were where no one was before; like a pioneer, but a bit different, a bit better, or say: in a more abstract way in the sense that a pioneer or scout just finds a way and reports about it, while a "Wegbereiter" furthermore is a source of inspiration (Jeez, i´m struggling with words...).
But you can also use this word for non-tech related things like music, e.g. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motörhead were the forerunners/Wegbereiter for the NWOBHM.

HTH. ;)
sapere aude.

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

Can someone tell me how to post pictures from the web here?

halftea

Post by halftea »

Use image tags:
{img}http://webaddress.com/filename.jpg{/img}

Of course change the brackets to the solid instead of the squiggly ones I used. Hope that helps.

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

OK, let's see if this works.
The world's real greatest aircraft

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

Thank you Halftea :D

halftea

Post by halftea »

It was my pleasure.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sooo pretty sooo shiney!!

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:sooo pretty sooo shiney!!
...sooo ... clumsy? scnr. :mrgreen:

You want an elegant seaplane?

(P*ssing contests r us... :mrgreen: )
sapere aude.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Trantor wrote:
Karst45 wrote:sooo pretty sooo shiney!!
...sooo ... clumsy? scnr. :mrgreen:

You want an elegant seaplane?
No, no, you misunderstand, that isn't a seaplane, it's a firetruck that someone duct-taped some wings to ;) .

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

I believe you are all mistaken about the world's most magnificent aircraft. Northrop's Tacit Blue is nothing short of amazing...

BEHOLD A STEALTH FLYING PLATYPUS DEFYING THE LAWS OF NATURE AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!

ImageA

I remember seeing this in person... it's one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I know a guy who worked on the B2 and the sight of this thing just sickens him/
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Ktrain wrote:BEHOLD A STEALTH FLYING PLATYPUS DEFYING THE LAWS OF NATURE AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!

I have never seen anything so scifi looking airship!

Supporter of forum RPG

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

bunnyboy wrote:
I have never seen anything so scifi looking airship!

Visitors Shuttle!!!

Even 25 years later the theme to the miniseries still gives me chills.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ktrain wrote:I believe you are all mistaken about the world's most magnificent aircraft. Northrop's Tacit Blue is nothing short of amazing...

BEHOLD A STEALTH FLYING PLATYPUS DEFYING THE LAWS OF NATURE AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!

Two bathtubs glued together. :mrgreen:
Elegance, ... well, is different, so:

Now again for our popular category "P*ssing contests ´r us":

MBB Lampyridae

http://www.rp-one.net/lampyridae/lampy.html
http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/stealth4e.htm

http://home.xmsnet.nl/hdejong/curious/Lampyridae.htm

Lower RCS than F-117.
Capable of Mach-speeds (est. 1,6) and supercruise.

Project was sadly cancelled by force due to pressure "from above", which led to the resignation of several high-profile engineers.
sapere aude.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:So what I mean to ask is, is there a German term for a cutting-edge system/object, that only shines for a short term before it is surpassed by others?
Ah, now i get it.

We call forerunners or trailblazers like this "Wegbereiter", but this word can be applied to a lot of things, cars e.g., the Audi Quattro was a "Wegbereiter".
"Weg" means "way" and "Bereiter" in this sense/translation can roughly be translated as the first who were where no one was before; like a pioneer, but a bit different, a bit better, or say: in a more abstract way in the sense that a pioneer or scout just finds a way and reports about it, while a "Wegbereiter" furthermore is a source of inspiration (Jeez, i´m struggling with words...).
But you can also use this word for non-tech related things like music, e.g. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motörhead were the forerunners/Wegbereiter for the NWOBHM.

HTH. ;)
I'm Dutch speaking, so often German terms are pretty obvious to me ("Wegbereiter" is an example). "Ersatz" OTOH, doesn't have a near-identical comparison in Dutch.

Michael

Re: The Aircraft Image Posting Contest

Post by Michael »

OTOH?

you all obviously need some schooling in real all school awesome jet fighters

the Supermarine Swift
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

junk

Post by junk »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:The Messerschmidt 262 definitely was a game-breaker in air warfare because of its speed and some other flying aspects. And the first in reliable operation.
But only a few years later jets from other nations surpassed it.
No wonder, without continuing development. ;)
Ah, now i get it.

HTH. ;)
Wegbereiter is more of a trailblazer than anything else. But yeah I've never heard of a similar word in german either. A piece of technology that stays on the peak only for a short time.

You know, kinda sad I can't anything to this pissing contest. The only thing we have good is artillery these days and even though we had a "good" airforce and tank army prior to ww2 the whole thing got eaten up by our german neighbors and given the deathknell by soviet centralisation.

I guess these birds used to be decent

I believe they were able to go outmaneuver bf109s in some areas.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Trantor wrote:
Ktrain wrote:I believe you are all mistaken about the world's most magnificent aircraft. Northrop's Tacit Blue is nothing short of amazing...

Two bathtubs glued together. :mrgreen:
Why would you say that, were you attacked by a feral bathtub as a child or something ;) ? If I didn't know better, this would make me think you were French :p !

At any rate, I'm afraid that I've got all of you beat. THIS is the perfect aircraft:

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Absalom wrote:At any rate, I'm afraid that I've got all of you beat. THIS is the perfect aircraft:
Actually I have heard something else.
Pro: It fly high and is almost invisible for radar.
Con: Terrible to fly, terrible to maintain, can't be used in bad weather and it has pricetag of 1 and 1/2 of spaceshuttle. Also, if radar receivers use noise triangulating (principle used in WWII when the radars didn't have power to emit signals), it should glow more than typical nonstealth aircraft.
Supporter of forum RPG

Michael

Post by Michael »

did you also know they leak on the ground? the design tolerances were made so that all the pieces would only fit together when at running temperature, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get it to fly properly
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Michael wrote:did you also know they leak on the ground? the design tolerances were made so that all the pieces would only fit together when at running temperature, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get it to fly properly
Yeah, I heard about leakage on this craft.

"Quick! Give us permission for lift-off! Fuel pressure is down by 3 percent already!!!" :lol: