Page 86

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: Page 86

Post by Trantor »

Ktrain wrote:
Voitan wrote:I always have to keep in mind that something out there Historians just doesn't want humanity poking its nose into the conflict. I'm guessing they're going to say that they have seen similar wrecks that the Loroi have in their possession.
Voitan, what your the basis for this conspiracy plot because it sounds quite interesting?
That was fathomed in one of the early threads in the old forum. The historians role is obscure and questionable (Why no full tech support for the spaceelves?), but my memory lacks the finer details, sorry.
Ktrain wrote:Furthermore, why would the Historians want to keep man out of the conflict if the conflict is eventually going to reach their borders?
Hm, cannot remember...
Can anyone here help out?
sapere aude.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
Voitan wrote: Also, it's funny as heck if you take Jardin's last angry call. It's like he knew who attacked him...

Which is what the Historians will think once they get a translation of his message he made before being picked up by the Loroi.
You don't necessarily have to know the identity of someone who attacked you to be extremely pissed at them. I don't think they'd assume he knew the identity of his attackers just because he surrendered and asked to be taken to their leader.
You miss what I'm pointing out here.

I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history. That's a promise from me to you.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Voitan wrote: I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history. That's a promise from me to you.
Pffft, well lets hope nobody is inclined to think humanity has pun making as a racial trait.
Trantor wrote: That was fathomed in one of the early threads in the old forum. The historians role is obscure and questionable (Why no full tech support for the spaceelves?), but my memory lacks the finer details, sorry.
It probably has to do with the fact that the Space Elves would become more powerful with full tech support. The Historians edge right now seems to be their better tech. They probably hope to have the war end with a Loroi victory, but the Loroi not having all their goodies.
dfacto wrote:They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?
You would be to.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
Voitan wrote: I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Pffft, well lets hope nobody is inclined to think humanity has pun making as a racial trait.
You sure though? "Thinking out loud" had Beryl in stitches.

Racial Trait: Comedy & Memes +2

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

dfacto wrote:They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?
That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Altough seeing Alexes and Loroi rection to the Astates would be priceless.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

anticarrot wrote:And has the jamming of the Loroi farsight been conclusively linked to humanity?
Nope.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history.
In the interest of full disclosure, I must point out that at the time that page was posted, the Historians (who hadn't appeared in the comic yet) had a different name.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

TrashMan wrote: That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Maybe not as short as you think, considering Arioch mentioned Loroi Tedai being capable of mind blasting tanks to pieces.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

I'm wondering if negotiations will break down, due to the Umiak habit of tagging/labeling so many different objects/topics in their conversation, causing confusion/information overload for the recipients of the communication. When the Umiak gets annoyed with stillstorm, is the translator going to start pulling out gibberish as he starts trying to be clever into the babblefish?

BattleRaptor

Post by BattleRaptor »

Rosen_Ritter_1
Edit button exists for a reason.

We already know that the Waveloom is going to be fired, while the ship is disabled it will be borded, and we get to see some close combat.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

BattleRaptor wrote:We already know that the Waveloom is going to be fired
Arioch said no.
sapere aude.

BattleRaptor

Post by BattleRaptor »

really?
Ohh well.
One Wonders how they will get borded then.
They going to mozzy on over and link with a Umiak vessal for X reason or will one side take fire and be disabled.

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

I think the Umiak have pieced together what happened: that the scout ship that popped out right next to their patrolling ship, and most likely next to some sort of base wasn't actually hostile as they would have to otherwise assume.

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

This - This is why I don't like the to be continued page.

--Aygar

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

The question on my mind is will Alex stay off to the side or be singled out to speak to the alien, afterall the Lorei would be very interested in his reactions to the Umiak establishing communications out of the blue like this. Considering their paranoia of Alex being an UMIAK SPY!!!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Voitan wrote:Ah, keep their pet species in their little playground, and not expose itself to the big boys?
well maybe the human were actually a "reference species" so now that they are in contact with Loroi/umiak their experimentation is at risk.

Yeah am a fan of the theory that the Historian are actually a remnant tool of the Soia
Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:It probably has to do with the fact that the Space Elves would become more powerful with full tech support.
Nerf the space elves!

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:well maybe the human were actually a "reference species" so now that they are in contact with Loroi/umiak their experimentation is at risk.
Nice paraphrase for "early discarded prototype". :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

BattleRaptor wrote:and the CAPTAIN looks immedately at the Historian with squinted eyes.
Just a note, Tempo isn't the captain, she's the Intelligence/Diplomatic officer

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
TrashMan wrote: That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Maybe not as short as you think, considering Arioch mentioned Loroi Tedai being capable of mind blasting tanks to pieces.
The Emperors Finest are not impressed by xeno psykers.