Armor values

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Majincarne

Re: Armor values

Post by Majincarne »

You know it Haven't gotten around to watching all of it, but been liking what I see. One of the better sci-fi anime out there.

(plus random screen caps. Dear lord! This series looks so stupid from the random screen caps!)
What like this?

I loved that series. If you asked me to say whether Gunbuster or LOGH was better all you would hear from me for a while was a lot of stammering and half starts of words.

Tash

Post by Tash »

Majincarne wrote: What like this?

I loved that series. If you asked me to say whether Gunbuster or LOGH was better all you would hear from me for a while was a lot of stammering and half starts of words.
The thing about Gunbuster is, it's wonderful because it's ridiculous and makes use of this wonderful little trope.

LoGH does too, but it takes a more serious and, sometimes, dark approach to it. It's less about being hot-blooded, unless your name happens to begin with B and end with ittenfeld, and more about politics and broad tactics. Yes, I'm using those words to describe a series wherein, during several battles, both Yang and Reinhard fire so many neutron beams that they make giant neutron beams, like every fleet is a Death Star waiting to happen.

They're both great series, but Yoshiki Tanaka is my favorite madman and LoGH is my favorite series. It influences my own writing heavily. <3

Battleraptor:
If I recall properly- It's entirely possible I'm incorrect- it has been stated that Terrans use more armor relative to the amount Loroi use per size, but Loroi armor is still objectively better. That's an important distinction.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I have noticed many similarities between the Outsider-verse and the Master of Orion 2 verse, I hope no one will find it presumptuous of me to guess at a few things using MoO2 rules.

The Umiak have tier 1: Titanium Armor The most basic grade of ship-building metal, known in many forums as "cardboard" or "tissue" because such ships are ridiculously fragile.

The Loroi possess tier 2 armor (and only by the grace of their Historian allies research treaties): Tritanium Armor
Twice as tough as Titanium Armor; gives ground combat units a +10% bonus; makes missiles and fighters tougher. The first armor that's fit for combat.

With the Historians it is harder to gauge, we've seen too little of them for me to make an assessment of their armor values. I would guess at their possession of either

Neutronium Armor The 2nd best armor you can research, 50% tougher than Zortrium; also gives ground combat units a bonus of +20%; makes missiles and fighters tougher.

or perhaps the more advanced

Adamantium Armor The best armor you can research, twice as tough as Zortrium; also gives ground combat units a bonus of +25%; makes missiles and fighters tougher.

The Umiak are using heavy armor on all of their ships which triples their armor values, if we divide their armor by 3 we can see their armor is quite comparable to the Terran vessels. I believe the Terrans possess Titanium armor.

All information is from http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_ ... /Chemistry at times it is inaccurate, but is reliable overall, I think. Great game by the way. I purchased it for the first time after following Outsider for a while and reading through the inspirations section.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Majincarne wrote:
You know it Haven't gotten around to watching all of it, but been liking what I see. One of the better sci-fi anime out there.
You havn't seen all of it yet?

Well..I can tell you that the ending is....unexpected. Heck, after episode 70 (or 80), things start to get totally unpredictable.
Just odn't get attached to ANY character...and I do mean ANY. :cry:

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Majincarne wrote:

(plus random screen caps. Dear lord! This series looks so stupid from the random screen caps!)
What like this?

I've got to seriously get around to watching more LOGH. Shit is awesome.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

dfacto wrote:Image
Sexy beast.

I always thought the front of the turret had a huge shot trap on it though.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Well most tanks have that to some extent, though the Leopard's really is huge.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

dfacto wrote:Well most tanks have that to some extent, though the Leopard's really is huge.
Yes, that´s an issue heavily critized from the beginning on. Internal composition of the shield lessens it a bit, but it is still a flaw.
sapere aude.