Off Topic: Lets Make a Scifi/Fantasy Race, Reptilian

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: Off Topic: Lets Make a Scifi/Fantasy Race, Reptilian

Post by SaintofM »

bunnyboy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:36 pm
Oldest Sophisticated tool that is Found. There is likely older tools, that have not been shaped or prepared for tool use. Just regular stick and stones that are thrown away after use.

And about evolutions, I did simplified the progress a lot, in my earlier posts. Random mutations is one thing, another is timing of the gene activation during development, which in my knowledge we know very little. So, when either code or timing changes, it does not only make the next generations better on something. When change happens, if it benefits the individual, it also benefits the change by chance of next generation. Then tiny calibrations occurs with each generation. In some point, the behavior of individuals happens, when they learn how they can use their evolved abilities better. Or they have to change their behavior from external reasons (change of climate, predators, etc), which might change how they genes are calibrated for next generations.

One typical example of the genetic calibration is that if you gain weight easily, it is likely that your grandmother suffered greatly from hunger.

Most of this I learned document over decade ago. One of the things it mentioned that research of next generation of children born after 9.11 would teach lot of new about evolution. So, this could be all old.

Makes sense. We humans are pretty hard coded to react negatively, ranging from dread to terror, at the sight of spiders, rats, snakes, and others. Had enough problems with bugs that left your friend dead, or you wanting to die after a bite or sting; Alot of primates don't do well in a death hug by a constrictor, and a number of venomous snakes can kill us; and lets not forget: Rats go with famine and plague about as well as Florida and Crazy behavior getting on the news. Other things might also pass down from genetic factors forced to adapt on a microscopic level due to conflict, toxins in the area, and so on.

I would also wonder how much of this might be learned from observation. Using humans and other great apes as an example, we often learn from observing others. Everything from Dad teaching you how to throw a ball or change a tire, to Music Tutors and Youtube How To Videos.

Chances are some of the other human species that interacted with each other may have copied mannerisms, fashion, or tool use from each other by simple observation. We see this with great apes mimicking humans such as the use of tools or even wearing hats. Heck, we see this with parrots and corvids.