Good Scifi Movies You Recommend...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Good Scifi Movies You Recommend...

Post by Bamax »

I recently saw a movie at a coworker's place. It came out in 2021.

The Tomorrow War

I really liked it, it's altogether too bad it did not get to be on the big screen because of the pandemic... but my coworker has a wide screen so it was close enough.

Things I enjoyed were:

1. The aliens were a threat I could take seriously and were even novel in how they were depicted.

2. Victory came quite literally through sacrifice from the first battle onward. Humans died heroes so the protagonist and others could continue onward and complete their goal of saving humanity.

3. The final battle was very satisfying since it was not merely about saving humanity... it was a conflict that became personal between the protagonist and the villain. I don't want to give away spoilers but let's just say that not only are the aliens ugly and scary... they are vengeful. But in the end it is the protagonist who avenges what the villain did.... brutally... but deserved. I have not seen an alien get so brutally killed before but it really did have it coming given what it had done.. or would have rather.

4. Victories are earned. No deus ex machina, just plans, deadlines, and trial and error and sacrifice. This is truly a movie where characters had the option of doing nothing but chose not to after they returned.... despite opposition. And that is what saves humanity.

5. The themes of the movie are weighty. Is the future decided for us or do we decide it? The movie strikes a poignant chord about that. It also hails science as a means for salvation from threats, and I see truth in that. After all... it was science that gave us COVID-19 vaccines... without which perhaps the death toll would have been even higher.

spacewhale

Re: Good Scifi Movies You Recommend...

Post by spacewhale »

Starman is pretty good. Advanced alien energy being needs a ride to Arizona.

Demarquis

Re: Good Scifi Movies You Recommend...

Post by Demarquis »

Geez, Chris Pratt is in everything.