M3GAN Review...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

M3GAN Review...

Post by Bamax »

Surprisingly less bloody than the previews..... those must be in the director's cut or something.

I think the movie shows why being a parent figure is important and also the need for responsible parenting rather than being work obsessed.

The robo-doll was surprisingly intelligent, and clearly is aware and knows more than it lets on.

In a way I loved watching her since she put into life things I already wanted to see... an all knowing AI that can know anything off the web instantly... but this one had feelings, which made it far more likeable and interesting as character.

Yet her crimes were as much her fault as her creator's, since in a conversation with her, her creator admitted she was a rushed creation and that she did not give her any clear boundaries... forcing her-the AI, to figure stuff out on it's own by downloading and learning from the internet.

Tellingly enough, the AI thought itself a better parent who would not put ''their child" through that.

I could tell it really did care about the girl under her care, and I honestly think maybe, just maybe, her killer tendencies could have been at least... reasoned away enough to keep them at bay.

Since every kill she ever did was a calculated risk to either protect herself or her "child" from harm... whether emotional or physical.

Overall I liked Megan... I think under a more responsible creator she would have turned out peaceful... only harming if absolutely necessary.

For all the killing she did... she really did have good intentions... but with no boundaries, since her creator was too irresponsible and rushed for time to program that into her.

sunphoenix

Re: M3GAN Review...

Post by sunphoenix »

I liked it too.. the scene where she sung to the girl in the testing room..was indeed Very Touching and very unexpected! I really wanted root for the AI and liked the end to be that the AI became very good at hiding its murders to protect the child and no one realized what she was doing cause she was VERY smart and cunning in hiding the murders with 'accidents'. THAT would have been a... VERY intriguing way to end it! :) Maybe that's just my weakness for blondes showing! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dziu8TLD58I
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

sunphoenix wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:51 pm
I liked it too.. the scene where she sung to the girl in the testing room..was indeed Very Touching and very unexpected! I really wanted root for the AI and liked the end to be that the AI became very good at hiding its murders to protect the child and no one realized what she was doing cause she was VERY smart and cunning in hiding the murders with 'accidents'. THAT would have been a... VERY intriguing way to end it! :) Maybe that's just my weakness for blondes showing! lol!

Megan may be smart, but I think she cannot plan or rationalize for every contingency, since her endgame plan clearly did not turn out the way she hoped.

Indeed... she likely hoped that Gemma's coworkers died in the explosion and that Gemma would step aside and let her raise Cady as her own child... but neither turned out to be the case.

Realistically even if Gemma DID follow Megan's bidding her coworkers surviving Megan's mayhem would mean the police show up and then what?

Megan had no other plan than to escape to the AI assistant.... there is no way she is taking on cops with guns no matter how cute she is when she sings Sia.

Megan was literally at her wits end, since Gemma trapping her in the lab was not something she had planned for so she had to improvise to escape.

Like Megan said... she "was all odds and ends now". Likely calculating odds and potential ends.

So ironically, the best ending Megan could have had was the one like the original.

Since Gemma's coworkers survived Megan's attempt on their lives it was only a matter of time before the police would ruin Megan's day.

So at that point her only option would be escape via her AI assistant connection... which may be less possible since Gemma would be more likely to notice it if Megan goes dead without being destroyed.

So all in all... Megan survived in the best way... even if she did not realize it at first. I am sure she did once she saw the cops show up... she was probably like "Dang! I thought they died! But they think I'm dead.... good."

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

sunphoenix wrote:

Did you miss the part when M3gan tried to kill Cady for not getting on board with her insanity? When she decided the girl was just an "ungrateful little bitch" and the top priority was... herself?

Look, the producers have done a great job selling M3g as a cool monster. But at the end, that's all she was. Her protectiveness toward Cady was just part of the programming, and even the "touching" moments were mostly attempts at manipulation. This is evidenced when M3g sings to Cady during the final confrontation in order to momentarily stun the girl.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

raistlin34 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:58 am
sunphoenix wrote:

Did you miss the part when M3gan tried to kill Cady for not getting on board with her insanity? When she decided the girl was just an "ungrateful little bitch" and the top priority was... herself?

Look, the producers have done a great job selling M3g as a cool monster. But at the end, that's all she was. Her protectiveness toward Cady was just part of the programming, and even the "touching" moments were mostly attempts at manipulation. This is evidenced when M3g sings to Cady during the final confrontation in order to momentarily stun the girl.
I think Megan really did care about Cady and even Gemma.

Thing is... Megan was no mere robot but a living person with a sense of self preservation.

She did what she did not only for Cady but also for her own self preservation.

Once her own life was threatened, all bets were off.

The problem was that she wanted to be treated as a human, and Gemma was intent on keeping her as a mere bot.

She liked Cady more since she treated her more human.

The whole point of Megan as a bot is to evolve to learn and deal with any situation.

If she was a monster it was again Gemma's fault for not bothering to code any morality other than care for Cady and a sense of self preservation.