Do Loroi feel death?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Demarquis

Re: Do Loroi feel death?

Post by Demarquis »

Well, let's hope Cloud was feeling supported as she slowly walked toward the cockpit where she had been ordered to kill herself. Those feeling got shared too, presumably.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Demarquis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pm
Well, let's hope Cloud was feeling supported . . .
I feel certain that, given the subtle methods of her Mizol boss, she not only felt supported, but honored for her 'voluntary' act.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:40 am
Normal ranged telepathy is a form of communication; the death of a nearby Loroi is like someone dying while you're in the middle of a conversation with them, which I imagine would be troubling for anyone. In a case like Cloud's, she would have been in communication with the other Loroi right up to the moment of her death, and then there was silence and the disappearance of her telepathic signature. Her sendings would be tinged with her feelings, but the other Loroi would not literally "experience her death" unless she was literally dying in their arms, and the touch link was active.

I think that when you are surrounded by death, it either breaks you or you become hardened to it. I'm reminded of some quotes from Band of Brothers regarding their hellish experiences in Bastogne:
Dick Winters: "I've seen death... I've seen my friends, my men being killed. It doesn't take too many days of that, and you change dramatically."
Don Malarkey: "You don't have a chance, when your friends go down, y'know... to really take care of them as you might... especially if you're in an attack and moving or whatever... I withstood it well, but I had a lot of trouble in later life, because those events would come back. You never forget 'em."

I also think that when you're born into such a violent world, you just accept death as normal, however unpleasant. Imagine our distant prehistoric ancestors scraping out an existence as hunter gatherers... death would have been just a part of their every day experience. I recall a discussion about why there didn't seem to be any historical record, prior to the industrial era, of soldiers dealing with post-traumatic stress. It might be that it was just not spoken of, or maybe it was that everyday life was so hard that the violence of battle just wasn't that traumatic in comparison.
So any idea when we will see the next page?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:40 am
I also think that when you're born into such a violent world, you just accept death as normal, however unpleasant. Imagine our distant prehistoric ancestors scraping out an existence as hunter gatherers... death would have been just a part of their every day experience. I recall a discussion about why there didn't seem to be any historical record, prior to the industrial era, of soldiers dealing with post-traumatic stress. It might be that it was just not spoken of, or maybe it was that everyday life was so hard that the violence of battle just wasn't that traumatic in comparison.
The higher infant mortality rate and the percentage of women dying in childbirth may have played a role, too.  When everyone has survived at least one child, sibling, spouse, or parent before old age (at 30-40 years) takes them, it is almost guaranteed that most survivors simply accepted human mortality, especially after the funerals (if any) were over.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:50 pm
The higher infant mortality rate and the percentage of women dying in childbirth may have played a role, too.  When everyone has survived at least one child, sibling, spouse, or parent before old age (at 30-40 years) takes them, it is almost guaranteed that most survivors simply accepted human mortality, especially after the funerals (if any) were over.
Wars were also different before the generalization of artillery. Still violent of course, but somehow easier to grasp than modern wars where you are just hiding in a hole, not knowing what's happening, and then suddenly your buddy next to you explodes.
A point of reference could be the so-called "Musket Wars" in New Zealand, where maori tribal conflicts became a lot more violent and made a lot more victims once they started using muskets.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

I wonder if there is a phrase in Trade that is the equivalent of our "S███ Happens" or "Bahala na".