There's AI and then there's... AC

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

There's AI and then there's... AC

Post by Snoofman »

Has anyone ever read "Homo Deus"? Like any above average-intelligent human, I read it with a hint of scepticism. While the author in my opinion is a tad bit presumptuous, he offers a fascinating outlook on humanity's current state and where it is heading. Including a look at AI development. He also cleverly presents the distinction between AI (artificial intelligence) and AC (artificial consciousness).

Anyway, the Outsider lore's Tech Levels present that a spacefaring civilisation at level 12 can create virtual consciousness. And that gets me thinking, if artificial consciousness exists, would the loroi be able to detect it as they would sense the presence of another sentient creature?

Tamri

Re: There's AI and then there's... AC

Post by Tamri »

In principle, it's a logical extrapolation. True, in my personal timeline, I called this technology an Artificial Personality.

In the end, AI, if you look at it abstractly, is nothing more than a super-complex OS that "does what you told it to do". AP, or whatever you have, AS is distinguished by the presence of self-awareness and the all resulting applications.

Of course, the longer we study our own consciousness, the less we understand what is the difference between a truly intelligent machine and just a well-programmed one ...

===

The answer to the question lies in the plane of understanding the nature of Loroi telepathy, and this is a question to which Loroi themselves don't know the answer ... If the perception of telepathy requires invariably organic "iron" - then the answer is "no". If telepathy relies on some kind of energy that is produced by working consciousness (that is still mysticism, let's be honest) - then the answer is "maybe."

However, since loroi with their telepathy perceive any animals that are a priori unreasonable, and generally do not perceive the Constructs of Historians, who are unclear either it's a very good AI, or the initial development stage of AP-AS, the second option is clearly less profitable when betting.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

IIRC Loroi didn't sense Historian constructs.
Outsider in Russian

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

SVlad wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 pm
IIRC Loroi didn't sense Historian constructs.
It is likely that senzai works only with natural organic brains, and not with artificial silicon processors.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:33 pm
Has anyone ever read "Homo Deus"? Like any above average-intelligent human, I read it with a hint of scepticism. While the author in my opinion is a tad bit presumptuous, he offers a fascinating outlook on humanity's current state and where it is heading. Including a look at AI development. He also cleverly presents the distinction between AI (artificial intelligence) and AC (artificial consciousness).

Anyway, the Outsider lore's Tech Levels present that a spacefaring civilisation at level 12 can create virtual consciousness. And that gets me thinking, if artificial consciousness exists, would the loroi be able to detect it as they would sense the presence of another sentient creature?
I thought that this thread was about Air Conditioning, and what sort of cooling hardwares the machines may need. :oops:

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

[/quote]
I thought that this thread was about Air Conditioning, and what sort of cooling hardwares the machines may need. :oops:
[/quote]

This is actually more relevant to artificial consciousness than might appear at first...