Substitute Alex For Other Well Known Scifi Human Characters... Do They Do Better Or Worse?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Substitute Alex For Other Well Known Scifi Human Characters... Do They Do Better Or Worse?

Post by Bamax »

So after watching the TOS episode Operation Annihilate, I was impressed with Kirk's occasional monomanical focus and attention to detail... which saved the day as everyone else, including Spock, assumed they would have to kill millions to keep an unstoppable infection at bay.

Spock did play a part in saving the day, but without Kirk's monomania idea.... they would have had only the obvious solution of kill em all.

A funny example of Kirk's monomania from that episode is paraphrased below from another poster:

Best moment (of episode):

McCoy: We should run some more tests
Kirk: There's no time. Put Spock in there now!
McCoy: But ...
Kirk: Now Bones. Now!!!!!

-- later ---
Spock: I'm blind
Chapel: Here's the results of the test you order Dr. McCoy
McCoy: Oh dear. I didn't have to expose him to all wavelengths of light. He didn't have to be made blind.
Kirk: Bones! You f'd up!!

So consider any well known human scifi character and if they would do better or worse if put in Alex' shoes for Outsider.

I will go first with... the Kirk.

Yeah... he can be a womanizer at times, but his occasional monomania helps him in tough siituations and he has wit and charm in spades.

How well does the Kirk get along with...

Beryl?

Fireblade?
Tempo?

Stillstorm?

Spiral?

How does the story change with Kirk as the Outsider?

Does anything happen differently.

PS: I am not suggesting Alex be like anyone, I like him as is, I just wanna know how different chatacters inserted would have effects big or small on Outsider?
Last edited by Bamax on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

spacewhale

Re: Substitute Alex For Other Well Known Scifi Human Characters... Do They Do Better Or Worse?

Post by spacewhale »

Kirk makes out with palette swapped women all the time. Unwinnable scenarios are unknown to him. He's a master diplomat and he'd be drinking Tranya with the bugs in no time.

Now John Crichton, flying his white death pod, now that'd be a trip.

Bamax

Re: Substitute Alex For Other Well Known Scifi Human Characters... Do They Do Better Or Worse?

Post by Bamax »

spacewhale wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:45 am
Kirk makes out with palette swapped women all the time. Unwinnable scenarios are unknown to him. He's a master diplomat and he'd be drinking Tranya with the bugs in no time.

That would be hillarious if Kirk singlehandedly ended the war with some great speech that shut up both the Umiak and the Loroi... and they actually listened to him.

Problem is the Loroi have some views about males despite Kirk being Kirk.

Come to think of it, the bugs might love Kirk for his monomania and may want to recruit him!

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Kirk was a very good Captain because he had an excellent crew that he led skillfully. For this scenario, you'd need to kill off everyone else, thus it's an absolute no-go. Instead, if you want Star Trek characters, how about Captain Mackenzie Calhoun, or perhaps Captain Sheridan from Babylon 5, who was also a survivor picked up by "space elves".

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

At this point alex didnt really do anything yet.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Zorg56 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:38 pm
At this point alex didnt really do anything yet.
More or less... he did beat Talon at Crossfire though.

If it were Kirk, I am certain he would have at least attempted to.... you know, with Beryl by now.

So the Talon would likely be more forward with him once she found that out, followed by others but not Fireblade and unlikely ever Stillstorm.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Spartan John-117...

Many a loroi would most definitely be intimidated by John, for his overbearing size, physical strength, sophisticated military gear/armor... and probably regard him with greater suspicion than the loroi regard Alex due to John's physical augmentations and very apparent scar lines. And the presence of Cortana would probably give both the loroi and Historian need for extra concern due to the fact that Cortana can override, bypass and seize control of practically any computer-controlled machine.

Though John would likely impress the loroi with his military skills, fearlessness in battle and resourcefulness. In fact, if it was John on the shuttle in Alex's place, he just might have taken the initiative to hijack the Umiak vessel even before the loroi even gave the green.

Something also tells me that John would have occasional clashes with Fireblade. Imagine a Spartan vs an Unsheathed. Now that's what I call "battle of the tanks"!

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Spartan John-117 and Cortana would be interesting - especially if the Loroi can detect Cortana mentally.

I present: Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Pros: He is short, Miles means soldier and Naismith means knife-maker, so hopefully he impresses with his translated name (though undoubtedly not as well as Alexander Jardin) - I could not find any translation for his last name. He is very smart and driven.

Cons: He lies almost constantly and would certainly try to spin up some desperate plot to impress the Loroi. He is deformed and his bones are extremely easy to break. He is prone to abusing stimulants to keep his plots going until he crashes very hard (maybe not as much of an issue for the webcomic). He is very impertinent and would likely be killed by Fireblade or Stillstorm.

Unsure: He is almost suicidally brave/reckless with a desire to prove himself. While he is skilled at military tactics, I think they would all be ground combat tactics, though I might be misremembering when he learned space tactics. He is able to endure a lot of pain.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arthur Dent

Arthur: “You know, it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a cramped storage alcove with a dozen space elves, and about to die of who-knows-what in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
Beryl: "Why, what did she tell you?"
Arthur: "I don't know, I didn't listen.”
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:33 am
Arthur Dent

Arthur: “You know, it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a cramped storage alcove with a dozen space elves, and about to die of who-knows-what in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
And did he bring a towel?

Would he request one, since the Loroi likely removed it when they rescued him?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Krulle wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 am
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:33 am
Arthur Dent

And did he bring a towel? ...
Of greater concern is whether or not Umiak poetry translates well into Trade.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I hope Arthur remembers the Vogon poetry.
He'll be able to survive that.
Maybe he can recite them some of the Vogon pieces, that could shut them up.
The Loroi won't care, as that poetry is spoken word and ignored by them anyway.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Krulle wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 pm
I hope Arthur remembers the Vogon poetry.
He'll be able to survive that.
Maybe he can recite them some of the Vogon pieces, that could shut them up.
The Loroi won't care, as that poetry is spoken word and ignored by them anyway.
Total noob observation, but isn't Vogon poetry so bad that it is psychologically and physically torturous to whoever listens to it? Whether or not they understand... whatever the poem was about?

If so, I'm sure Arthur Dent would make some loroi jaws drop as soon as he opened a channel to the Umiak, began spouting Vogon gruntbuggly (signed in triplicate), and watch as Kikitik-27 and its piloting crew succumb to epileptic seizures as they desperately gnaw their own legs off just to stay alive!

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:41 pm
If so, I'm sure Arthur Dent would make some loroi jaws drop as soon as he opened a channel to the Umiak, began spouting Vogon gruntbuggly (signed in triplicate), and watch as Kikitik-27 and its piloting crew succumb to epileptic seizures as they desperately gnaw their own legs off just to stay alive!
Won't the Loroi suffer as well? Maybe they can stuff him into a room and just send the audio to the shells, without recording and hearing it.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

I'd really love to see Lelouch with his Geass ability, taking the place of Alex. That would make for an interesting confrontation.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:22 am
I'd really love to see Lelouch with his Geass ability, taking the place of Alex. That would make for an interesting confrontation.
Forget Lelouch, talk about MDGeist, he'll fuck up everything in his general direction.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

spacewhale wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:45 am
The best possible timeline. I think FarScape is the closest we'll ever get to an Outsider adaptation.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Toss The Doctor in, and the whole war will he over in a few days at most. I'd love to see him talk his way through every portion if Tempest, especially when he confronts Stillstorm.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Jimmy Space would make short work of these xenos.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 am
Toss The Doctor in, and the whole war will he over in a few days at most. I'd love to see him talk his way through every portion if Tempest, especially when he confronts Stillstorm.
Depends on WHICH doctor.

The one I knew best was the tenth, Tennant, though I also enjoyed Eccelton (mispelled I know).

Stillstorm would laugh if the ninth doctor said this to the Umiak though... even the Umiak might laugh, because they are not Dalek's who fear or know the Doctor...

The doctir relies a lot on his knowledge, reputation, and gadgets... take one away and he will have a hard and likely humbling experience.