Page 211: Grand Theft Umiak Cruiser

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

inxsi

Re: Page 211: Grand Theft Umiak Cruiser

Post by inxsi »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:21 pm
OR...

This whole war has been manipulated by the Historians as the final phase of a multi-million-year experiment, to see if it is the bugs (rapid reproduction) or the elves (telekinetics & telepathy) win out, so that they can better decide which way to guide their own future evolution.
Historian 1: So we have these two options as a species - telepathy/telekinesis or sheer numbers. The best way to see which is superior is in the natural environment with other species.
Historian 2: Why don't we just upgrade both?
Historian 3: Look, we've been bored for the last thousand years after we assimilated the knowledge of the ancients. The ancients said everyone needs a hobby to pass the time, and this seems as good as any.
Historian 1: Actually, I was just talking about trying this to see how I should upgrade in my StarWarcraft game. I need to find a killer strategy for an upcoming match.
Historian 2&3: [deathglare]
Historian 1: I've lost three in a row to the champion, I need to make a comeback.

I still like my idea that this is all an elaborate VR simulation to see if Alex is suitable for the actual mission. The person who just took over had enough of the "getting to know the loroi" part and wanted some action.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

inxsi wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:49 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:21 pm
OR...

This whole war has been manipulated by the Historians as the final phase of a multi-million-year experiment, to see if it is the bugs (rapid reproduction) or the elves (telekinetics & telepathy) win out, so that they can better decide which way to guide their own future evolution.
Historian 1: So we have these two options as a species - telepathy/telekinesis or sheer numbers. The best way to see which is superior is in the natural environment with other species.
Historian 2: Why don't we just upgrade both?
Historian 3: Look, we've been bored for the last thousand years after we assimilated the knowledge of the ancients. The ancients said everyone needs a hobby to pass the time, and this seems as good as any.
Historian 1: Actually, I was just talking about trying this to see how I should upgrade in my StarWarcraft game. I need to find a killer strategy for an upcoming match.
Historian 2&3: [deathglare]
Historian 1: I've lost three in a row to the champion, I need to make a comeback.

I still like my idea that this is all an elaborate VR simulation to see if Alex is suitable for the actual mission. The person who just took over had enough of the "getting to know the loroi" part and wanted some action.
So Alex is NEO?

WHOAA!!!!!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 pm
DevilDalek wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm
*Loroi watch on in growing horror as Alex goes 'Home Alone' on the bugs A$$es*
Since he is awakening his psi-potential, how about going Alfred Bester on their shelled posteriors?
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:12 pm
What should we commission for Halloween maybe a GTA style cover of the loroi?
Yeah, either that or all of them as a DnD party. Alex will be the bard, I guess
I vote a GTA V style poster with Tempo and Talon

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Gta style poster all the way

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

CaptainChaos wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 am
Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 pm
DevilDalek wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm
*Loroi watch on in growing horror as Alex goes 'Home Alone' on the bugs A$$es*
Since he is awakening his psi-potential, how about going Alfred Bester on their shelled posteriors?
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:12 pm
What should we commission for Halloween maybe a GTA style cover of the loroi?
Yeah, either that or all of them as a DnD party. Alex will be the bard, I guess
I vote a GTA V style poster with Tempo and Talon
I would subscribe to this newsletter :)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

GTA is nice and all, but since Alex is now a Captain and he and his "crew" are going to board a ship, they'd be pirates, not gangsters.

I mean, we already had Halloween and Christmas specials with all the Loroi, so for this one, how about Alex as a pirate captain?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:53 pm
GTA is nice and all, but since Alex is now a Captain and he and his "crew" are going to board a ship, they'd be pirates, not gangsters.

I mean, we already had Halloween and Christmas specials with all the Loroi, so for this one, how about Alex as a pirate captain?
We need a Jack Sparrow style poster.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Getting access to our media, without context of what is true and what isn't, would be endlessly confusing for Beryl and utterly hilarious to watch.

"I memorized the entirety of <insert ridiculously long tv/movie series here> only to find out that these weren't historical records?!"

jan

Post by jan »

I vote for Stillstorm as Capten Sparrow no one going to dare oppose to that or you are put in the dinghy :)

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Ya know, I'm almost tempted to post a new thread..
'Page 212: Clicking Clack Rage Quites'
Just to troll people..

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

DevilDalek wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Just to troll people..
Yeah....
It's been a month since Arioch posted his last page.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:09 pm
DevilDalek wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Just to troll people..
Yeah....
It's been a month since Arioch posted his last page.

Well Arioch has a life outside of Outsider... and creation takes time.... not to mention all the forum chatter. Not to say that delays it all... but I cannot know for certain.

For the most part I would assume silence from Arioch means he is actually several pages out and will release them gradually like he has in the past.

Either that or he is storyboarding or outlining or changing or adjusting things.

We all have lives outside the webcomic. Although it can be easy to live page to page... feverishly waiting for the next one, I think it is best to take a realistic approach.

Nothing is guaranteed in life.

We hope for the best, but in life that is not guaranteed.

So what if Outsider is never finished or some of us die before it is?

Just enjoy what you have read and be happy you had the opportunity.

I myself got a chuckle when someone told me the ending involves the war ending somehow and Alex introducing the Loroi to ice cream without yelling them the ingredients until after... as minor payback for all the hardship they put him through.

And honestly, that's as good an ending as any for me.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

If I am to make a wager, it's probably the interiors of the Umiak cruiser that are the biggest timesink at the moment

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

dragoongfa wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:47 am
If I am to make a wager, it's probably the interiors of the Umiak cruiser that are the biggest timesink at the moment
The Umiak are also harder to draw close up... cybiorgs anyway.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Nah, it'll be a three year time skip, there will be a rush onto to the ship and pew-pew everywhere, and then a bright flash. Alex will be training in the ways of the psychic warrior from his sensei-lover Fireblade. Blocking the impact of space coconuts with his abs or something. This will probably have a soundtrack by Paul Hertzog.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:25 am
I myself got a chuckle when someone told me the ending involves the war ending somehow and Alex introducing the Loroi to ice cream without yelling them the ingredients until after... as minor payback for all the hardship they put him through.

Nah, the ending will be an older Alex telling his grandkids about his heroic youth and also how he met their (grand)mother. The children will listen attentively, perking up their blue ears. :o

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:54 am
Bamax wrote:

Nah, the ending will be an older Alex telling his grandkids about his heroic youth and also how he met their (grand)mother. The children will listen attentively, perking up their blue ears. :o
Star Control II feeling intensifies....

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:54 am
Bamax wrote:

Arioch said hybrids are not possible between humans and Loroi.

So unless Beryl mated with several Loroi males on the side... which Alex would have mixed feelings about, the ending could not happen.

And given how slow Loroi age, Beryl will outlive him and likely be the one to inherit his stuff too.

Beryl will look like her 30's while Alec will look... old.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm sure there are/will be plenty of war orphans up for adoption.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

icekatze wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 pm
hi hi

I'm sure there are/will be plenty of war orphans up for adoption.

Loroi do not have family... they raise their children in communal orphanges.

Beryl may or may not want to raise kids human style, since she is used to shipping kids off to communes.

Besides, Loroi are used to sharing motherhood... not doing it solo. They may fear the thought.... let alone the sheer responsibility of doing what is not normal for them and hoping the kid still turn out to be a proper warrior... or civillian if all else fails LOL.