Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Post by Werra »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 am
Voitan wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 pm
So how long until we see Jardin finally "hearing" sanzai? I always wanted to see their unspoken dialogue.
He already heard it in FireBlade's dreams, it'll be better for him to keep quiet about this, and eavesdrop on the Loroi.
Good luck keeping that a secret. He'd have to remember and differentiate whether he has heard something spoken out loud or just via Sanzai. Somebody will clue in rather soon, he's going to come into contact with lots of people with perfect memories.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

I'm still waiting for the moment when Alex starts getting grilled about Mickey Mouse and its cultural significance in Terran funeral rites. :lol:

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Overkill Engine wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:47 am
I'm still waiting for the moment when Alex starts getting grilled about Mickey Mouse and its cultural significance in Terran funeral rites. :lol:
Actually, The Mickey Mouse Church is the state religion of the USA in the 22nd century. It began as a tax avoidance scheme, but soon enough, it developed a horrific life of its own. All shall bow to the Mouse.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am
Overkill Engine wrote:
I'm still waiting for the moment when Alex starts getting grilled about Mickey Mouse and its cultural significance in Terran funeral rites.
Actually, The Mickey Mouse Church is the state religion of the USA in the 22nd century. It began as a tax avoidance scheme, but soon enough, it developed a horrific life of its own. All shall bow to the Mouse.
I thought you were joking until I found  THIS 
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:20 pm
I thought you were joking until I found  THIS 
If Ellen had survived, this could have been her and Alex' wedding:
Picture:Show
No, seriously, though, Alex will have a hard time explaining this stuff. Even if children's stories about anthropomorphized animals could make sense, why should a grown man (and one claiming to be a warrior) believe in this stuff? He would have to invent a story about this mouse being his spirit animal.

Werra

Post by Werra »

What if he simply admits that he just wanted to see one of their weapons fire?

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

What if he just admit he'd been so distracted by the combat that he didn't have the proper words ready for when the occasion came, and preferred to say the first thing that came to mind instead of wasting time searching when everyone was very eager for him to leave the bridge ASAP.

Plus, outside of the Mickey context, "it's time to say goodbye, see you soon, we love you" is not that inappropriate for a funeral. (With the slightly morbid touch that "see you soon" then implies "I won't last long either"...)

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

It certainly seems within the capabilities of the Umiak to raise some "domesticated" Loroi, with chemical and mechanical means to ensure they stay safely controlled...they're certainly not squeamish about such things...and keep them around for interrogations/anti-psi experiments. But I get the impression they'd be outraged at the suggestion that they use something that's not Umiak to do something that Umiak can't do. Especially if it means putting something that's not Umiak on starships as crew.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Overkill Engine wrote:
"It's a song from childhood about saying goodbye... I couldn't think of anything better on the spot with everything that was going on."

Arent

Post by Arent »

orion1836 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:04 pm
Overkill Engine wrote:
"It's a song from childhood about saying goodbye... I couldn't think of anything better on the spot with everything that was going on."
I honestly think that his slip with mentioning Fireblade's eye injury is more serious.

But for reasons of storytelling I suspect he won't keep it a secret anyway, at least from the Loroi he is with right now.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Until they encountered Umiak, I always expected the 'reveal' to come in the form of Alex complaining about a very weird and realistic dream (because from his perspective, that's all it was). Now, though, he should realize that it wasn't a dream given that the hardtrooper he just saw is entirely to similar to the one he dreamed about.

I'm very curious to know if Fireblade dreamed of suffocating in space, at least for a little bit.

0z79

Post by 0z79 »

Werra wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 am
Oh, he might sense Beryl yet. But since she is touching him, she should have appeared long before the others if her signal was as strong as the others. You know Alex would have made a special mention of the first other Loroi he was able to sense.

What I really want to see is his reaction to Tempo. Especially when she finally makes a serious attempt of breaching his Lotai reaching out to him.
Is there any information on what that in bold entails? Because I get the feeling that it's like mind-ripping from Schlock Mercenary; basically, after they breach his Lotai or whatever, he won't have a Lotai/mind.