Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Post by dragoongfa »

In which Tempo assumes control:
SpoilerShow

superkuh

Re: Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Post by superkuh »

This was not how I anticipated things going. I figured there would be significantly more
SpoilerShow
can crushing.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

superkuh wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:49 pm
This was not how I anticipated things going. I figured there would be significantly more
SpoilerShow
can crushing.

Killing every Umiak that comes seems nonoptimal since they have plenty more and a whole fleet. Would be suicidal.

Loroi have a plan. It seems they have the Umiak psychokinetically frozen where he cannot move much if at all.

Seems to me Tempo is doing stuff probably INSIDE the suit.

I would not be suprised if between Tempo and Fireblade, they MAKE the Umiak 'SAY' in klicky klick language that he saw nothing of interest at the shuttle but will booby trap it for when the Loroi come to get it.

I reckon Tempo may have enough precision to make a Umiak say stuff it by muscle control, especially if she can understand Umiak, and I reckon she should being a Mizol.

Between the two of them, it should be quite possible to autobody and autospeak almost any person they want against their will.
Remember Fireblade literally made Alex shut his mouth.

Since Umiak come from low gravity, their muscles may be so weak that Tempo has an easy time manipulating his 'words'.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I wonder what 'Krik!' means?

Unless it's just another exclamation of sorts.

All we know is what the Umiak knows....he is surrounded by two uber Loroi and is getting PK handled against his will.

I am sure he should call for help and maybe he wants to, but I am sure Temp and company are NOT going to let the Umiak have things it's way.

For all we know she could be preparing to use the Umiak against the others...either via deception, battle or both perhaps?

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

KIlling it would kind of fuck them over in the long haul it would be wise to screw up its cybernetic brain and give out an all clear sign to their buddies and call it a day leaving the shuttle alone like trash.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Or Tempo is brainhacking it so she has a replacement for Cloud.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

While the Umiak seem like ruthless bastards (though still unclear if in fact more ruthless than the loroi), I'm starting to see why the Umiak truly dread the loroi. If a Mizol can truly 'influence' an Umiak mind, then the Umiak have all the reason in the world to be afraid for their safety and regard loroi with psychic powers as 'witches'. The only problem is that they lose their #%&*ing minds and mow down entire planets just to feel safe.

I wonder if this story is going to have some allegory alluding to how we humans stress so much on security in order to 'feel' safe and how dangerous that can actually be.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

We are all assuming Cloud was not just a robot or (Shell) herself.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Tempo is a very frightening individual. Looks like she's about to make getting killed look tame by comparison.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

asaenvolk wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:57 am
We are all assuming Cloud was not just a robot or (Shell) herself.
There have been zero subtle hints that she is, so it would be a surprise.

Although it is notworthy that the Loroi suspected Alex to be a Umiak trick, at least Stillstorm, and Fireblade either still does or simply dislikes guys that give her attitude...which Alex certainly has a history with.

I would laugh hard if Fireblade's first words to Alex are something like, "Your welcome."

Alex looks quizzical. "For saving us from the shells?"

"For letting you live and annoy me without roughing you up more. Remember that the next time you try. I am a warrior...boy!"

If she managed to actually upset Alex, she likely would let a slight smirk or sense of satisfaction alight her features...like the last time she threw him up against the wall.

Alex v Fireblade....you can cut the tension with a knife. The other 'war' of Outsider that is fun to watch.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

So the Umiak recognise a human when they see one

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

"There have been zero subtle hints that she is, so it would be a surprise."

There are 3 hints, but none are hugely that substantive
She never talks, the unsheathed have a reason, but she less so.
There was a discussion about "surprises" that the Umiak have used before, bio-constructs and the like, and it would be surprising if the Loroi didn't use similar weapons, you know... it looks like a normal Umiak or Loroi... but surprise...
The Loroi's willingness to put her out in front when the Umiak invaded.

Now there are reasonable counters to any of these hints, but one could argue there HAS been hints.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Jagged wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:56 am
So the Umiak recognise a human when they see one
Could be, or it could just be looking that way, I hope the story doesn't go that way, there would be some a few plot holes if it does, but it could.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

That's an awesome design Arioch!
*Bruva I'm stuck here!*

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Wow, that's a page one definitely needs to see in high-res.
Especially with that 'knife' extension on the left 'arm'. At first I thought it was part of the rump, but its an oversized version of the 'knife' the Umiak hardtrooper used in Alex' dream.

Nice usage of the "Krik" for showing the camera 'arm' turning in -and out of position.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/index.html wrote:29 June 2021: New page: 206
As much fun as the hardtroops are to draw, it takes forever.
But you're doing well.
I like the result.

I'm also not one checking for details if all parts are where I would expect them when going from panel to panel.

@Dragoongfa: did you select this thread's title as reply to Arioch's comment?
Because I find your title complimenting Arioch's touch on the hardtroops. :)
(I know it could be interpreted differently, but that only popped to my mind while writing here.)

One thing that got to my mind though:
How often have Fireblade and Tempo been on ships that got boarded?
How often have they repulsed attacks as a team?
Or is this seemingly well-coordinated attack mainly the result of "first witness telepathic training"?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Werra

Post by Werra »

@Krulle
They shouldn't need a lot of training to act as if they can read each others thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if Loroi outperformed humans significantly in every field that heavily depends on coordination. Such as small unit tactics, sports, working in a kitchen, traffic flow, office jobs, school, research projects...

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Aww man, shoe girl, shes going to be the sacrificial lamb...

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Werra wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 pm
@Krulle
They shouldn't need a lot of training to act as if they can read each others thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if Loroi outperformed humans significantly in every field that heavily depends on coordination. Such as small unit tactics, sports, working in a kitchen, traffic flow, office jobs, school, research projects...
Arioch once said telepathy is not a significant advantage against humans.

I do not believe that is true.

If you had a paintball battle with humans vs Loroi, humans would use hand signals and code words, while Loroi could do all that silently via teletpathy, and even know where hiding Loroi teammates are at 100 meters without seeing or smelling them.

Humans should lose. Most of the time.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 pm
I wonder what 'Krik!' means?
It is a Umiak exclamation, which could be roughly translated to "wear your exoskeleton inside out"! In ancient times, it was a particularly gruesome, slow and let's say, showy, way of execution which the nomadic ancestors of the Umiak practised. Today, however, it is mostly used as a more colorful expletive and rarely as a very serious insult, but only in a certain context.

As to the page, I still do not get what the witches Loroi attempt to do or how the Umiak have no countermeasures against that telepatic suggestion thing. Even contemporary AIs could have recognized the Loroi from the data transmitted via the video feeds and triggered an alarm. Who needs a flashbang if the commander can simply remotely initiate a self-destruct of a compromised trooper?