Page 202: WHY?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

JQBogus

Re: Page 202: WHY?

Post by JQBogus »

If they're using Cloud as a sacrificial decoy, I would think they would have at least dressed her up as a pilot. After so many years at war, I am pretty sure the Umiak know that a Soroin Paset isn't likely to be flying a VIP shuttle.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Depends, in this situation it would pay to have the Umiak go at a wild goose chase and if a single Passet was found alone on a shuttle then the first question would be where the rest of the Loroi would be. If Cloud was caught, questioned and said that all the others went EVA some time ago and they had Teidar with them then the Umiak could be made to believe that the rest are travelling somewhere nearby where they will signal to be picked by the Barsam ship (when it jumps in system).

In such a scenario the question becomes what the Umiak will do with her, will they take her prisoner, kill her or abandon her in the shuttle to die a long and painful death alone?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

At some point we and by extension Alex will see the inside of a Umiak vessel.

I say that because why else would,Arioch have drawn a pic years ago of how a Umiak vessel looks inside?

Whether they commandeer it as space pirates or are captured is the only uncertainy I think.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Regarding the whole pressure suit thing, I wonder if perhaps "smell" comes into it? Umiak look like they might use smell almost as much as sight. Perhaps being suited up disguises your presence?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Jagged wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:08 am
Regarding the whole pressure suit thing, I wonder if perhaps "smell" comes into it? Umiak look like they might use smell almost as much as sight. Perhaps being suited up disguises your presence?

Cameras. Thermal vision goggles that let you see in darkness....these are all real tech by the way.

Umiak won't need to smell at all, especially as they are likelly in pressure suuts as well.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Alex and crew hijack the Umiak cruiser, turn it toward the Jump Point, and accelerate like hell, pursued by a bunch of Umiak warships
Barsam Courier: "Are we still supposed to pick you guys up or what?"
Alex: "Change of plan! LEG IT!"
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

The only excuse I can imagine why they don't destroy the vessel after killing/abducting our decoy, is that they plan to trap their shuttle with either bombs, and/or alarms to alert any nearby Umiak fleet.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 am
Umiak won't need to smell at all, especially as they are likelly in pressure suuts as well.
It wouldn't be a need thing. If biologically you were a species that heavily used smell for targeting prey, you mat instictively go to that sense first regardless of how well technology boosts your other senses.