Page 158 : All Fire and Green eyes

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 158 : All Fire and Green eyes

Post by dragoongfa »

A cookie to whomever gets the reference :P
Last edited by dragoongfa on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor_D

Re: Page 158 : All fire and Green eyes

Post by Victor_D »

So what did the construct mean by "aboard your ship" – did it mean the shuttle, as the context here seems to suggest? I am a bit confused.

novius

Post by novius »

Makes me wonder.

Of all the Loroi, Fireblade would have fewest reasons to busy herself with Alex. Fewer than Beryl, Tempo and maybe Talon for sure.

Other than just floating there with a menacing air around herself as a silent reminder what happens if Alex makes the proverbial step out of line.

Though, as a storytelling device, she would be the biggest deterrent for any ideas Alex might have about disclosing the construct's presence to, say, Beryl.

On the other hand, though....

Perhaps she did notice something during Beryl's telepathy experiment, just a few minutes earlier, and this would be the first opportunity she had to pursue this matter further, once things had calmed down directly after the attack. That would match the expression on her face, too - while still showing a good deal of annoyance, she sort of looks rather ponderous, too, as if trying to figure out a puzzle. Or assessing an unknown or potential threat. Though in a military mindset, "unknown" is just a subset of "potential threat".

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Fireblade in this scene (1 panel) looks like Sviborg.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Fireblade: "You took away my best shoes. I want them back."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm guessing that Fireblade is there because Alex was taking a while. Maybe she really is there to silently menace, or maybe she's there to help ensure he's safe, or both.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Definitely a silent menacing. There's about as much trust between them, as there is gravity in that room.

Given the Historian AI advised Alex to target his questions around survival, it might be a good time to question the resident mizol (diplomat) and listel (lap elf) about any conditions that might give Fireblade free reign to ragdoll him at bulkheads, or bounce him off the nearest surface.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

CF2 wrote:Definitely a silent menacing. There's about as much trust between them, as there is gravity in that room.

Given the Historian AI advised Alex to target his questions around survival, it might be a good time to question the resident mizol (diplomat) and listel (lap elf) about any conditions that might give Fireblade free reign to ragdoll him at bulkheads, or bounce him off the nearest surface.
1. Touching my butt without permission.
2. NOT touching my butt after giving permission.
3. Making fun of my weight or hairstyle in ANY circunstances.
:lol:

Any other ideas?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

raistlin34 wrote:Any other ideas?
4. Being a lumpy pillow when it's time to conserve energy and sleep.
5. Complaining about being ragdolled & ricocheted.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
CF2 wrote:...it might be a good time to question the resident mizol (diplomat) and listel (lap elf) about any conditions that might give Fireblade free reign to ragdoll him at bulkheads...
I'd say this is a very good idea. Figuring out the Loroi's cultural taboos will help him fit in. And any lengthy discussion would provide cover for asking questions about other topics that might seem leading without being buried inside some other context.

Like the Historian Canister. It might not do to just blurt that out for no reason, but if they're already talking about the Loroi's relationship with other member races, Alex could point to the cannister and ask why the Historians use those instead of showing up themselves.

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Page 158 : All Fire and Green eyes

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Best to keep someone in between Alex and fireblade. That or ask why he can sense her for conversation sake

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I mean, the story is laid out in Arioch's mind (and hopefully files/paper), and unless he falls completely into this board's fan service, I'm staying with him.. but I'll be sorely disappointed if Fireblade ends up being Alex's foil/nemesis. I'm hoping in the end she becomes his protector or has his back (and he, hers) and they at least ignore each other on friendly-ish terms.

Unless I am crap at reading web comic expressions (always possible), she has never seemed openly hostile to him ... her looks, IMO, seem to range between annoyed, concerned, curious, and perplexed. If you want to see anger, mistrust, and perhaps hatred, look at Stillstorm's expressions.

But at least we're moving along and we'll know... soon enough ... whrrrr ... clamp.

CJSF

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Plot-twist:
Fireblade (and Stillstorm, for maximum Shamalayan) turn out to be his only real ally.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

boldilocks wrote:Plot-twist:
Fireblade (and Stillstorm, for maximum Shamalayan) turn out to be his only real ally.
As much as I would like to see Alex and Beryl becoming friends and Tempo - their and humanity's ally and protector, I also think the above to actually be the case in the end, with Beryl in the first place, followed by Tempo and Talon being the real "bad guys" :?

@cacambo - Fireblade is hostile and distrustful towards Alex, but that's her job as security chief. Nothing personal, just doing my job, you know.

novius

Post by novius »

I'm not sure about Talon; she may have a too easygoing attitude to pull off the villain role in the drama, but Tempo... she could definitely be the part of the stereotypical female interrogation officer using all means at her disposal in service of the evil empire.

Fireblade on the other hand... We already got a glimpse on it - I'd peg her as the troubled marine officer conflicted between doing her duty and doing what she thinks is the right thing to do.

Werra

Post by Werra »

A German, of course wrote:the stereotypical female interrogation officer

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Speaking of Fireblade, I wonder if that side eye she's giving him is because she noticed him while he was doing his zen thing with Beryl back on page 134.
I can't imagine that information staying secret if she had, given how bizarre and vexing his telepathic inertness is.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Maybe he can se her because she has green eyes? :mrgreen:

GhostlyYorick

Post by GhostlyYorick »

Fireblade: ...The human looks hot in its new suit.. suspiciously hot...

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
boldilocks wrote:Plot-twist:
I have a feeling that seeing a male be so consistently serious and standoffish is maybe unusual for the Loroi present. In terms of Alex managing how the Loroi view him, it might not be a bad look, might even put him on even terms with Stillstorm. ;)