Page 157: "This is not MY datapad!"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Page 157: "This is not MY datapad!"

Post by Werra »

Did the Historian show any special knowledge of humanity so far? Apart from what you'd expect from the data of the Bellarmine.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

They were able to spy on TL11 combatants for decades without them noticing anything, and they searched local bubble for thousands of years, possibility that they know everything about humans is 146%.

This exact construct maybe contain only some basic data however.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

icekatze wrote:hi hi
GeoModder wrote:You can consider ship sensors out.
Why is that? If the Umiak can't see them, then the Prophet's Reason probably can't see them.

That leads to two basic conclusions for the people on board, the shuttle has either powered down to avoid detection, or was destroyed. Since the captain supposedly made the request, then the captain knows that the Historian construct has a capability that at least the Umiak lack, and probably the Barsam lack, since the Barsam didn't try it themselves.
Looks like I misunderstood what you meant. I assumed you meant to say the Historian attempted to contact Alex because Prophet's Reason's sensor suite had picked up the Highland shuttle in powered-down mode.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Wait hold it if the Historians have been fucking exploring beyond the known space why aren't they fighting more openly? I mean they could have Unmanned Space Combat Vehicles deliver hell fire to the Ukami homelands? This tech seems to be like they are holding out to make gains later but what good will that do?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wait hold it if the Historians have been fucking exploring beyond the known space why aren't they fighting more openly? I mean they could have Unmanned Space Combat Vehicles deliver hell fire to the Ukami homelands? This tech seems to be like they are holding out to make gains later but what good will that do?
Sounds a lot like how I usually play a tall side in a strategy game. Build up, out tech my neighbors to an unchallengable degree, then roll over them when I need something they have and can't otherwise acquire.

They're probably as invested in this war as they need to be to ensure acceptable relations with their allies and minimal military involvement. An Umiak front opening up on their systems might bring them more wholeheartedly into the war -- or give them an excuse to bow out.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Or they infiltrated the systems on the Lori ship and had it open fire to start the war, they provided the Umiak with the Plasma Focus(which is above their tech level) so they would have a chance to screw the Lori, they provided the Lori Advanced weapons when they were starting to lose to keep the war going.

Now its near end game, both sides have been largely exhausted from a resource standpoint and the historians have used this time to build up their forces and intelligence to crush the victor.
CF2 wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wait hold it if the Historians have been fucking exploring beyond the known space why aren't they fighting more openly? I mean they could have Unmanned Space Combat Vehicles deliver hell fire to the Ukami homelands? This tech seems to be like they are holding out to make gains later but what good will that do?
Sounds a lot like how I usually play a tall side in a strategy game. Build up, out tech my neighbors to an unchallengable degree, then roll over them when I need something they have and can't otherwise acquire.

They're probably as invested in this war as they need to be to ensure acceptable relations with their allies and minimal military involvement. An Umiak front opening up on their systems might bring them more wholeheartedly into the war -- or give them an excuse to bow out.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Historians may seat on tonns of ancient equipment, they may even have Soia Death Star somewhere around (Or those things called Dread Star in this universe?), so they really dont care about the war, since they always will be able to crush their enemy long before it will become any real threat.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I don't know. The Historians only entered the war when Umiak fleets walzed through their space in a flanking maneuver in the Seren theater. Unless the Historians and Umiak played pretend, that implies the Historians to have been an afterthought to the Umiak war machine.

The Historians hurriedly signed a deal with the Union and even allowed Loroi fleets in their territory to fight the Umiak. That's how the Loroi even know about the Pol. With how secretive the Historians are and with how salty they were at having to have Loroi snoop around, I think they've been drawn earnestly into the war.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Analogies to Master of Orion can only go so far, but usually when I go the tech route, my territory gets invaded at least once when I'm still in total research mode. Usually that's the point in the game where I start building unstoppable death fleets. :P

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

May be, Historians go for Antarans victory. :lol: So they not interested in war with neighbors.
Outsider in Russian

folti

Post by folti »

Because they are not expansionist for example? At least not anymore...

Also depends how their exploration goes. They might have not touched wast swathes of the known space, since the locals started spacefaring.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

CF2 wrote:
Sounds a lot like how I usually play a tall side in a strategy game. Build up, out tech my neighbors to an unchallengeable degree, then roll over them when I need something they have and can't otherwise acquire.

Okay so they want to wait until the one side is done with a genocide before rolling out the drone fleets. I take it that the Historian is now just trolling Alex maybe it know about Alex Jones and the gay frogs meme and it probably is bored now. So screw with the lone human maybe cause a freak out and get some chuckles before the shells ask them if they have any last click clacks before they face the firing squad.

Post by 088 »

My bet is the Barsam (or however you spell that) were probably forcibly conscripted and are pissed about it while the Historians are trying to play both sides against the other, and get humanity mixed up in it. (Probably wanting to aim them at the hot space elves so the buggers have some help taking them out.)
If you recall from the very early pages the alien refugees the humans encountered told them that both sides were terrible. So it stands to reason Beryl's friends have probably been naughty space nazis and gotten everyone upset by forcing them to fight a war of the Historian's invention.

Also: The longer this goes on the more I expect Beryl (and an increasingly long list of accomplices) to molest our poor hero. Is the presence of a vaguely similar male changing their behavior? Because right now the entire situation kinda feels like a bunch of clueless schoolboys trying to impress a pretty girl. Y'know more hormones than sense.