Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 am
Posts: 321
Post Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Page 154

Now, what could possibly go wrong?


Sun May 12, 2019 2:52 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 1050
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Ok this page is Damned COOL!

_________________
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."


Sun May 12, 2019 6:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Tallmadge Ohio
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
The Historian is probably going to discover the internets true purpose porn and by then it will regret leaving its trashcan.


Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:22 pm
Posts: 353
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Image
H'mm. How'd that show up on the Pad's desktop screen before the message was opened?

(I spy the Emissary's visage)

_________________
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.


Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Wups! That's not supposed to be there! :D

Thanks for catching that.

_________________
Outsider


Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 pm
Posts: 105
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
I'm not a patreon, so my opnion maybe or maybe not be a spoiler:
Spoiler: show
The historian already has infiltratred Tempest and the shuttle systens. It learned how to interact with the PDA during Beryl first atempt to use it onboard the Tempest and it has been listening to Alex teaching english to Beryl onboard the shutte.


Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm
Posts: 1
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Is there any context for what "guardian of the garden" means?


Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:54 pm
Posts: 31
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
It is what Alexander Jardin's name means, or at least what he told Stillstorm on the bridge when the Historian representative was present.


Sun May 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Posts: 1222
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
hi hi

I would not be surprised if, while the Tempest's crew was trying to figure out what some of the artifacts did on their own, the historian construct on the bridge was listening to wireless signals and doing its own figuring out.

If I were Alex, suppose I might do the same thing, although I might not have pressed the button quite so quickly. :lol: Still, if there's enough spare parts from the other non-functioning pads to replace the hard disk and memory if it got corrupted, there's way more potential reward than risk.


Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:51 pm
Posts: 64
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Next scene:

"Wherein Jardin finds out that executable had more than one meaning and the Historians now have a loose end tied up."

~Fin~


Sun May 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 3:33 am
Posts: 564
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
One word:

Historigotchi

:mrgreen:

But, honestly...

  • The AI decoded an alien technology from the grounds up.
  • It either spied on Alex and Beryl, had prior knowledge or decoded the English Language, which with all its spelling inconsistencies is not an easy feat.
  • It bypassed the device's airplane mode.
  • It must have bypassed any firewall/virus checking/spam filer/countermeasure on that device.

And it still didn't manage to make that message auto-executing or outright install something on the device?


Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am
Posts: 770
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Well, me thinks it is already running, and just officially requesting permission before making contact.


Also, yay! It's my birthday, and I'm turning 184 apparently.
Whelp, time's flying when you're busy waiting for something to happen.
(Also, only 8 days since the Bellarmine entered Naam system? I would've expected more time to have passed...)

_________________
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123


Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 115
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
The real question is, can he play chess against historian AI?


Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am
Posts: 770
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Well, don't press that button!
It activates Skynet, and then Humanity is DOOMED, doomed I tell ya!

_________________
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123


Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 am
Posts: 321
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
To sum up what we know so far, it appears that the Historian AI/VI, while in standby mode inside it's bucket (it's obviously not registering on the shuttle's displays since everything's supposed to be offline to reduce emissions), is aware that Alex is alone in the cargo bay and has obtained a tablet, and has managed to reverse engineer the tablet's hardware and software, AND placed a file on it, while the tablet itself is in standby with wi-fi physically disabled.

That is, for a lack of better words, amazing, and one can only guess, what else it has done or can do... I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Historians are happily rolling around all Loroi computers without them even suspecting anything


Mon May 13, 2019 2:03 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:41 am
Posts: 14
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Well, according to the Insider, Humanity is rated at Tech Level 9 / on the cusp of TL 10. I doubt the tablet in question is the bleeding edge of the available tech, so I'd bet it is TL 9.

Loroi / Umiak are early TL 11. We've seen, basically, how big difference is there between (I assume) mature TL 9 and early TL 11. Now, Historians are guessed (by the Loroi) to be somewhere in TL 12.

That's 3 tech levels above Humanity. Assuming the progress is constant, they're as far above TL 9 human tech as we in early 21st century (seems TL 7 we got pretty much covered, and in everyday use - a few elements of TL 8 are here, but rather in early stages. Others are not there yet) above late Renaissance / Colonial TL 4 Era.

And that's before we consider that:
1. TL Scale might be not linear,
2. Historians might be above TL 12 (remember, it is just what the Loroi do estimate. They might be right about it, but they might be wrong as well).

So... a Historian (assumed) TL12 computer (AI-capable one) making short work of a Human TL 9 pad? I believe it to be a safe bet. Very safe bet, if we compare the ordinary TL 7 computers we're using to write on this forum to what was available at TL 4. If memory serves me, the common computing device of that time was still an abacus (a very useful and versatile tool in a skilled user's hands), with slide ruler being pretty much cutting edge and requiring some advanced knowledge to operate effectively.
While mechanical analog computers existed before that, they tended to be very purpose-specific (orreries, astrolabes) and not really common...


Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 am
Profile

Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 am
Posts: 51
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
entity2636 wrote:
To sum up what we know so far, it appears that the Historian AI/VI, while in standby mode inside it's bucket (it's obviously not registering on the shuttle's displays since everything's supposed to be offline to reduce emissions), is aware that Alex is alone in the cargo bay and has obtained a tablet, and has managed to reverse engineer the tablet's hardware and software, AND placed a file on it, while the tablet itself is in standby with wi-fi physically disabled.

That is, for a lack of better words, amazing, and one can only guess, what else it has done or can do... I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Historians are happily rolling around all Loroi computers without them even suspecting anything

Depends what it's standby mode actually means, and how much energy it actually uses and radiates. Or that the shuttle actually have some monitoring system equipped, and they are currently operational.


Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:22 pm
Posts: 353
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
folti wrote:
entity2636 wrote:
To sum up what we know so far, it appears that the Historian AI/VI, while in standby mode inside it's bucket (it's obviously not registering on the shuttle's displays since everything's supposed to be offline to reduce emissions), is aware that Alex is alone in the cargo bay and has obtained a tablet, and has managed to reverse engineer the tablet's hardware and software, AND placed a file on it, while the tablet itself is in standby with wi-fi physically disabled.

That is, for a lack of better words, amazing, and one can only guess, what else it has done or can do... I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Historians are happily rolling around all Loroi computers without them even suspecting anything

Depends what it's standby mode actually means, and how much energy it actually uses and radiates. Or that the shuttle actually have some monitoring system equipped, and they are currently operational.

I was assuming based on it being called "quiet" mode that it meant it wouldn't broadcast, not that it couldn't receive. While that might be functionally equivalent to turning the WiFi off if it were interacting with other human devices (which would probably want IP address information or something before sending any messages), I doubt that means the receiver has been turned off as it would be a passive system anyway. If something sent a message through the receiver and didn't care about getting identification from the device (because that something was an AI that had its own means of determining that) then it could work without involving any transmissions from the pad.

_________________
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.


Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 am
Posts: 51
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
RedDwarfIV wrote:
folti wrote:
Depends what it's standby mode actually means, and how much energy it actually uses and radiates. Or that the shuttle actually have some monitoring system equipped, and they are currently operational.

I was assuming based on it being called "quiet" mode that it meant it wouldn't broadcast, not that it couldn't receive. While that might be functionally equivalent to turning the WiFi off if it were interacting with other human devices (which would probably want IP address information or something before sending any messages), I doubt that means the receiver has been turned off as it would be a passive system anyway. If something sent a message through the receiver and didn't care about getting identification from the device (because that something was an AI that had its own means of determining that) then it could work without involving any transmissions from the pad.

Oh, there are going to be a whole lot of levels of standby involved, ranging from the various sensors and communication sub-systems, to the core system running the AI itself.

I'm pretty sure, that the core can change it's processing speed itself like modern processors here on Earth, and can even suspend it's operation handing control over to a dumb* subsystem running the sensors and communication modules with an order of "wake me up when something interesting happens".

As for how it worked out how to talk to the PADs, well, it might have a few sensors that don't need even a turned on and broadcasting PAD, which could be unknown, and undetectable even for the Loroi (remember, even the Loroi don't know how their sanzai and telekinesis actually works and they had a few milenia of technical society to throw resources at the problem). Something like the effectors from Iain M. Banks' Culture novels.

* dumb compared to the core AI. It can be a high level, but non-sentient AI too.


Tue May 14, 2019 2:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Pad CXII ?

Does that mean its an emergency pad? :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
GeoModder wrote:
Pad CXII ?

Does that mean its an emergency pad? :mrgreen:

I don't follow.
Or is this the Hercules joke? In that case it would be IXII.

_________________
Outsider


Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am
Posts: 770
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
???

Oh, googled it a bit... IX-I-I is much clearer than IXII....

Anyway, 112 (C=100, X=10, II=2) is there, which is the European Emergency Number, corresponding to the 911 for the US.
But it seems to be accidental.
112th version of the Pad...

_________________
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123


Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 744
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Pad CXII ?

Does that mean its an emergency pad? :mrgreen:

I don't follow.
Or is this the Hercules joke? In that case it would be IXII.


If I know my Roman numerals correctly, CXII is 112, the international emergency number for cellphones.

_________________
Image


Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
GeoModder wrote:
If I know my Roman numerals correctly, CXII is 112, the international emergency number for cellphones.

Didn't know that.

_________________
Outsider


Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N
Errhile wrote:
So... a Historian (assumed) TL12 computer (AI-capable one) making short work of a Human TL 9 pad? I believe it to be a safe bet. Very safe bet, if we compare the ordinary TL 7 computers we're using to write on this forum to what was available at TL 4. If memory serves me, the common computing device of that time was still an abacus (a very useful and versatile tool in a skilled user's hands), with slide ruler being pretty much cutting edge and requiring some advanced knowledge to operate effectively.
While mechanical analog computers existed before that, they tended to be very purpose-specific (orreries, astrolabes) and not really common...

Putting all suspension of disbelief aside (since reality makes for boring storytelling for 99% of most people's lifes)...

... an Abacus is amazingly secure to a modern computer. Literally nothing that computer can do can alter the value of that abacus -- short of being connected to a robotic arm.
Similarly, an analog relay, or semi-analog vacuum tube computer is also pretty secure. Nothing short of intense, directed radiation is going to affect the latter and the former would need a nearby Tesla Coil discharge to be even slightly perturbed in its workings.

So from a reality standpoint: Unless that wireless switch was overly complicated in design (as the simplest such switches simply cut the power to the relevant radio chips), you'd need remote matter manipulation to make that Pad receive data. That, or very precise electro magnetic radiation for writing directly into the storage; unless that one is optical.

That said, we know too little about the intrusion capabilities of more advanced computers yet, to guess at what would be needed to compromise stuff like quantum computers.


Of course, since the physics in Outside run at the speed of plot, all these considerations are nearly meaningless to the comic. :lol:


Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cacambo43 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.