Page 150 Discussion "Well, I haven't !"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: Page 150 Discussion "Well, I haven't !"

Post by sunphoenix »

Y'know.. Alex would not have as many issues with the Loroi if he were a less honorable, forthright, or modest young man. I actually commend him for his candor and honesty... there are certainly a few men who would take terrible advantage in such a situation.
Humanti could not ask for a better more disciplined and respectable Ambassador!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

sunphoenix wrote:Y'know.. Alex would not have as many issues with the Loroi if he were a less honorable, forthright, or modest young man. I actually commend him for his candor and honesty... there are certainly a few men who would take terrible advantage in such a situation.
Humanti could not ask for a better more disciplined and respectable Ambassador!
What I want to know is why did the EVA unit get cut off but everything else was left in tact?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:What I want to know is why did the EVA unit get cut off but everything else was left in tact?
He was suffocating, so they cut his suit open. That done, the emergency was over.

Even if they had felt the need to cut him out of his clothes, they would have been fairly straightforward to repair. An alien pressure suit, less so.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

The Loroi certainly look attractive from the viewpoint of lots of humans, but actually being there, in a cramped, tumbling shuttle, after spending days locked away in solitary with horrible food, I feel like it would also be hard to forget the fact that they are still aliens with a lot still unknown about them.

Even acknowledging that everyone on the Highland-7 has been very reassuring to Alex, and accepting for the sake of argument that even Tempo does have his best interests at heart, I'd think that a lot of people in Alex's position would have a difficult time feeling at ease.

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Arioch wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:What I want to know is why did the EVA unit get cut off but everything else was left in tact?
He was suffocating, so they cut his suit open. That done, the emergency was over.

Even if they had felt the need to cut him out of his clothes, they would have been fairly straightforward to repair. An alien pressure suit, less so.
I imagine zippers are probably very intuitive. If the loroi doesn't already have them then they may have even made a special note about them. They are both low tech and very convenient.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I don't think the EVA suit that Alex was wearing made much use of zippers. It seems like it was meant to be able to handle spacewalks, and I doubt the Loroi wanted to waste precious time figuring out how to operate the foreign latching mechanisms. Not sure how long a Loroi can survive without oxygen to the brain without brain damage, but it's one of those "every second counts" kind of things.

novius

Post by novius »

Just think, ER teams do cut you out of your clothing when you've been rolled into an emergency room after an accident. It's much easier and faster than trying to disrobe an unconscious person. And in a situation like this, where every second counds... Just to remind you, he was severely hurt and just ran out of oxygen.

novius

Post by novius »

Gotta love Loroi bluntness.

Well, it doesn't make things any easier to Alex. As far as he knows about Loroi culture - which is close to nothing at all - saying 'no' to a female could be a grave insult and/or a capital offense. Couple that with the fact that he does know that they don't hestitate to put the hurts on him, depending on the situation.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

So it's on to Beryl again to save his dignity. But that doesn't necessarily mean that she's acting without an own interest in that matter, too. :)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

icekatze wrote:I don't think the EVA suit that Alex was wearing made much use of zippers. It seems like it was meant to be able to handle spacewalks, and I doubt the Loroi wanted to waste precious time figuring out how to operate the foreign latching mechanisms. Not sure how long a Loroi can survive without oxygen to the brain without brain damage, but it's one of those "every second counts" kind of things.
And to move people out of their clothing, you have to bend them in quite some ways. Depending on the suspected damage, that's not something you want to do.
Let them lie still, and use a sharp knife or scissor.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think that when you're dealing with an unfamiliar alien, you would want to be VERY cautious about what you cut into.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Surrounded by military (assuming Loroi military acts like human military), military with blood pumping from nearly dying, military far from opposite sex, needing to conserve heat, confined space, nothing to do, Alex outsizing male Loroi... and please strip.
Alexander "Porkchop" Jardin, time to report for duty.

Michael

Post by Michael »

"Well, I haven't!" Hahahah XD Oh, that made me smile, I'm looking forward to 151. Congrates Arioch!
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Taslios

Post by Taslios »

I dare say that this thread reaaaaaaly needs an update now : http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/vie ... f=4&t=2308

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I don't think the EVA suit that Alex was wearing made much use of zippers.
I never implied that it did. I was referring to them not cutting him out of his jumpsuit.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:I think that when you're dealing with an unfamiliar alien, you would want to be VERY cautious about what you cut into.
Seems they took a lot of risks earlier but then again his is similar to a Loroi male.

novius

Post by novius »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Seems they took a lot of risks earlier but then again his is similar to a Loroi male.
Just larger. :mrgreen:

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

novius wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Seems they took a lot of risks earlier but then again his is similar to a Loroi male.
Oh my

StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

Username

Post by Username »

Justice due.

ShiftyOne

Post by ShiftyOne »

novius wrote:

Reminds me of this Outsider edit I found on FJ.