Adeptus Astartes Episode 2

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Onaiom

Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2

Post by Onaiom »

Tempral_Imperial

Post by Tempral_Imperial »

This latest one might be interesting for anyone pondering ways to visualize psychic powers VS more mundane military tactics in a sci-fi setting.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Loroi Teidar in combat with Umiak-Human hardtroopers.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Two puny psykers almost kicked their asses =p

Ogryns in space marine armor.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Well that battle in part 4 was intense.

Part 5 should be interesting to see what in the sphere?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

NOMAD wrote:Part 5 should be interesting to see what in the sphere?
We will see in 4 months. Hopefully...

Tempral_Imperial

Post by Tempral_Imperial »

Damn. Episode 5 was a wild ride. I think it rather clarifies that this almost certainly wasn't a "normal" rebellion that got put down. Though the ending quite frankly raises A LOT of questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCcpMW8fSs&t=0s

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

We were having a discussion on Discord about it, opinions vary but my personal one is that the strongest possibilities lay with
SpoilerShow
1) The two orbs being fragments of the Deceiver; the C'tan are 'godlike' and the Deceiver is known to have infiltrated Imperial worlds before for his own goals (to create a new body for the Deceiver when enough fragments would be found). This of course argues that the powers that the orbs exhibited are not 'Warp' in nature.
2) This is a something 'unique' to the setting; the 'golden body' could be a 'Man of Gold' from the Dark Age of technology, they and the subsequent 'Men of Stone' were pivotal in human expansion. If they could somehow tap into the warp for 'interstellar' travel like the navigators do then it fits that these could be 'Abominable Intelligences' with some Warp capabilities. Humanity in the Dark Age of technology was extremely advanced, possibly on par to the Eldar and the Necrons; creating something with an artificial connection to the Warp wasn't beyond them.

What I can say with some certainty is that this wasn't Chaotic in nature. The complete lack of Chaos iconography is proof of that. If there was Chaos Iconography then this would be a Yu'tath Xenos since they were known to psyonically enslave populations by the millions if not by the planets. An other possibility would be of the orbs being Umbras but those use shadows as part of their powers and the Imperium is more than able to easily dispatch Umbras.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

dragoongfa wrote:We were having a discussion on Discord about it, opinions vary but my personal one is that the strongest possibilities lay with
SpoilerShow
1) The two orbs being fragments of the Deceiver; the C'tan are 'godlike' and the Deceiver is known to have infiltrated Imperial worlds before for his own goals (to create a new body for the Deceiver when enough fragments would be found). This of course argues that the powers that the orbs exhibited are not 'Warp' in nature.
2) This is a something 'unique' to the setting; the 'golden body' could be a 'Man of Gold' from the Dark Age of technology, they and the subsequent 'Men of Stone' were pivotal in human expansion. If they could somehow tap into the warp for 'interstellar' travel like the navigators do then it fits that these could be 'Abominable Intelligences' with some Warp capabilities. Humanity in the Dark Age of technology was extremely advanced, possibly on par to the Eldar and the Necrons; creating something with an artificial connection to the Warp wasn't beyond them.

What I can say with some certainty is that this wasn't Chaotic in nature. The complete lack of Chaos iconography is proof of that. If there was Chaos Iconography then this would be a Yu'tath Xenos since they were known to psionically enslave populations by the millions if not by the planets. An other possibility would be of the orbs being Umbras but those use shadows as part of their powers and the Imperium is more than able to easily dispatch Umbras.
SpoilerShow
Hmm... my impression is that the Men of Gold were genetically enhanced humans. Their superior intellect allowed them to craft the Men of Stone (silicon-based sentient computers, hence the "stone") to allow them to spread through space and create technology faster. The tipping point being when said computers started to design other sentient machines that had the added advantage of being mobile (the Men of Iron).
Still... in recent editions, the sketchy information into what humans and their machines could do during the Dark Ages of Technology is quite staggering. Humans were certainly on par with the other races at the time. It's not impossible for these spheres to be some form of lost, arcane technology.

Necron technology is...distinctive. More naked and skeletal (I'm referring to their buildings, no just their troops), less ornate and with a greenish hue generally. This stuff seems almost biological. Seems similar to the manner in which the monster of Medusa was described, though that is considered to have been of Necron origin...