New Page 135 - Barsam Ex Machina

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

entity2636

New Page 135 - Barsam Ex Machina

Post by entity2636 »

Page 135 is up http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider135.html and to say this was unexpected, would be a half truth, nearly improbable would be more fitting.

boldilocks

Re: New Page 135 - Barsam Ex Machina

Post by boldilocks »

I don't want to be that guy, but when and why did Talon put on her helmet? Does it supply her with higher levels of oxygen to make her more reactive or something?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

boldilocks wrote:I don't want to be that guy, but when and why did Talon put on her helmet? Does it supply her with higher levels of oxygen to make her more reactive or something?
Apparently it is filled with a liquid that make her more resistant to G forces. Expect people that lack such suits to loose consciousness when the Highlander doges missiles.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Sweforce wrote:
boldilocks wrote:I don't want to be that guy, but when and why did Talon put on her helmet? Does it supply her with higher levels of oxygen to make her more reactive or something?
Apparently it is filled with a liquid that make her more resistant to G forces. Expect people that lack such suits to loose consciousness when the Highlander doges missiles.
Perfect time to sit unsecured in a chair with a girl in your lap, in other words. What are the chances that alex is going to end up covered in loroi-barf?
Last edited by boldilocks on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Sweforce wrote:
She wouldn't be able to talk if her helmet and suit were filled with the liquid breathing medium. It's likely filled with normal air and she put it on as a precaution in case the hull gets breached.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

entity2636 wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
She wouldn't be able to talk if her helmet and suit were filled with the liquid breathing medium. It's likely filled with normal air and she put it on as a precaution in case the hull gets breached.
I know, the liquid have not been filled yet and the Highlander may not even have a supply of it and she just put the helmet on out of habit. and yes in case of a hull breach, and as head protection in case of rough handling. This leaves Alex totally unprotected. All other, save Tempo's aide, if she is onboard, have some sort of armor thou Tempo and Beryl lack helmets. It is possible that they have inflatable emergency helmets thou to handle vacuum thou. Think "plastic bag" on the head.

Came to think of it, IF someone using a liquid breathing medium need to speak they could perhaps use synthetic speech and some form of keyboard to type in at least a shorthand of what they want to say. Not that this is done here thou.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Indeed, since the loroi standard issue armored uniform is supposedly also a light space suit/vac suit, yet no one carries helmets around for reasons that should be obvious, my guess is that the shuttle has emergency helmets for every seated passenger stored somewhere easily accessible (under the chairs or under consoles in the cockpit, in the same way we do with life vests in air planes). Alex and Cloud would be in trouble in case the Highland starts to leak.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Now the Azimol citadel has been informed reinforcements may be underway before the jump point gets blocked.
The Gora Relay -and our heroes- just need to hold out and survive until the cavalry arrives. A rescue by the Barsam would take 4.8 hours. A timely Loroi Gunship Rescue on the other hand may require a deep jump.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Reinforcements will need to marshal first and then cross the system to the correct jump point. Help may be several hours out, if not days.

Can Mozins ship reach the shuttle in time or was his estimate already done with max acceleration?

And if the shuttle is in the path of the torpedo barrage, is it then not also in the path of the Umiak fleet?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

To those who missed it, we know Prophet's Reason from Naam, page 57: http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider057.html

The captain is Rigai Mozin, and her/his ship is a courier vessel, so primarily not geared for battle...

And Prophet's Reason definitely knows about Alex, so they might be a very good choice to go forward with.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:To those who missed it, we know Prophet's Reason from Naam, page 57: http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider057.html

The captain is Rigai Mozin, and her/his ship is a courier vessel, so primarily not geared for battle...

And Prophet's Reason definitely knows about Alex, so they might be a very good choice to go forward with.
I get the feeling that the loroi will be loath to put alex into barsam hands.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

boldilocks wrote:
Krulle wrote:To those who missed it, we know Prophet's Reason from Naam, page 57: http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider057.html

I don't think any of the Highland contingent will be leaving his side, lol. Have to keep the human from being co-opted by Barsam interests.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Sweforce wrote:Apparently it is filled with a liquid that make her more resistant to G forces. Expect people that lack such suits to loose consciousness when the Highlander doges missiles.
I doubt that would be the case for the shuttle, the shuttle probably has dampers while fighters don't.
Zarya wrote:Now the Azimol citadel has been informed reinforcements may be underway before the jump point gets blocked.
The Gora Relay -and our heroes- just need to hold out and survive until the cavalry arrives. A rescue by the Barsam would take 4.8 hours. A timely Loroi Gunship Rescue on the other hand may require a deep jump.
Maybe, but there's attacks everywhere, so maybe not. On the other hand Alex's presence probably gets their priority bumped up quite a bit.
"We lost two systems to send reinforcements to pick you up, you'd better be worth it."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I'm trying to square Mozin's arrival with the timing of everything. Haven't the couriers (having been completely surprised) just jumped out a matter of minutes prior? How did Mozin hear of the incursion and get to the system so quickly? Did I misunderstand the use and timing constraints in-universe, related to communication speeds and the need for couriers?

CJSF

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

cacambo43 wrote:I'm trying to square Mozin's arrival with the timing of everything. Haven't the couriers (having been completely surprised) just jumped out a matter of minutes prior? How did Mozin hear of the incursion and get to the system so quickly? Did I misunderstand the use and timing constraints in-universe, related to communication speeds and the need for couriers?

CJSF
I'm going to guess that he's coming back because he wants to be closer to Alex. You saw earlier how important he believed Alex was, and that's just what he was able to say before being dismissed.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Likely Mozin's Prophet's Reason was quite ahead of battlegroup 51, and has likel refuld and whatever else at Azimol, and was alrady on the way back to the front, and just got the message while it was short of jumping back to Leido.
He therefore only acknowledged that Azimol has received the warning... (which in itself can be quite morale boosting)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:I'm trying to square Mozin's arrival with the timing of everything. Haven't the couriers (having been completely surprised) just jumped out a matter of minutes prior? How did Mozin hear of the incursion and get to the system so quickly? Did I misunderstand the use and timing constraints in-universe, related to communication speeds and the need for couriers?
Time seems a bit compressed due to the comic format and the need to keep the pacing up, but it has been some time since the Umiak appeared in Leido. Leido and Azimol are adjacent systems, and Mizon's courier was sitting at the Azimol side of the jump point.

novius

Post by novius »

boldilocks wrote:
Krulle wrote:And Prophet's Reason definitely knows about Alex, so they might be a very good choice to go forward with.
Add to that, given how rudely Tempo cut him off, she'd be definitely not interested in having them both meet face to face.

Of course she can't be around Alex all the time to listen in to what he hears and says and put a stop to it if it touches sensitive matters - that would definitely be suspicious, and Alex already got the idea that she's not telling the whole story.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

fredgiblet wrote: Maybe, but there's attacks everywhere, so maybe not. On the other hand Alex's presence probably gets their priority bumped up quite a bit.
"We lost two systems to send reinforcements to pick you up, you'd better be worth it."
Heh, not sure if they’d only do this to rescue Alex. The Leido system appears to have strategic importance too.
Assuming the “attacks everywhere” were meant to draw away potential reinforcements that could backstop the main thrust by at least 8 Umiak divisions through Leido.

Strikegroup 51 could use a hand too. I’d like to see Stillstorm again ;)

(Edit: removed stuff & rephrased things)
Last edited by Zarya on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

folti

Post by folti »

CJSF
Time is compressed a bit for comic pacing reason, for one hand, and Mozin was not attached to the courier station anyway, more like acting as an auxiliary vessel to the 51, with quite a bit of autonomy.