Page 131: The one in which we learn how Loroi swear

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zarya

Re: Page 131: The one in which we learn how Loroi swear

Post by Zarya »

icekatze wrote: I think the Umiak used the Deep Jump maneuver as part of their standing strategy, maybe to catch couriers trying to send warning, but maybe not. (If they could force couriers to attempt a deep jump just to stay ahead of them, then there's a chance the courier will miss jump and fail to relay warning.)
I don’t fully understand in what way a deep jump provides an advantage over ships that try to get away via regular jump points. From a regular outbound jump point, which will always be reached later by the Umiak forces, they would have to do deep jump again into the next system in order to be able to intercept. Is that how it works?

Because of jump-sickness, a huge drawback for the Umiak, I would think that any attempts to intercept the escapees would have to be managed by fully automated systems, or by Umiak allies that are not as severely affected by a jump.

Jumpsickness as a handicap factor will also mean that Stillstorm won’t loose a minute to start messing with the Umiak that have just arrived in the Leido system.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

icekatze wrote:I think the Umiak used the Deep Jump maneuver as part of their standing strategy, maybe to catch couriers trying to send warning, but maybe not. (If they could force couriers to attempt a deep jump just to stay ahead of them, then there's a chance the courier will miss jump and fail to relay warning.)
I think it may be an attempt to encircle the Loroi fleets. It seems to me that the current offensive is more than a raid, it's a breakthrough attempt. If you give your opponents and out then they can pull back, regroup and fight again, if you encircle and annihilate them then you have a clear path forward.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Deep jumping offers a significant positional advantage, space if big and it takes a while for a ship to travel within a star system, even one as small as Leido. All things considered deep jumping cut off a significant amount of in system travel time and put the deep jumping force in a great position to act in the developing situation.
Sure the crew will be jump sick but the auto-pilots should be advanced enough to keep in formation and automatically fire their weapons if an enemy ship gets into their firing envelops. It's a risk but it is a guaranteed pay off provided that enough ships survive the jump itself.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:The light-speed lag from one end of the system to the other is about 4-5 minutes.
That's not quite what I said. The Leido system (as defined by nominal jump distance) is about 1 AU across, so lag from one end of the system to the other is about 8 minutes. The lag between Highland-7 and the action at the Rallis and Sala jump points (which is what I was asked in that quote) is 4-5 minutes.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Just how severly are the umiak effected by jump sickness? Are they totally knocked out or are they still capable to perform basic ship functions while more or less severely nusiated? They may not be capable to fight a proper battle but maybe they are capable to give an on-board computer some basic orders.

wedgekree

Post by wedgekree »

The Umiak don't have to blockade 100% of system traffic. They just need to get there quickly enough before large numbers of ships can fall back. I presume they aren't expecting to cmopletely close off the jump point before anyone can jump - but other than the occasional leaker/courier, they can at least make anyone going for it have to run the gauntlet. Presumably the only way a ship can make it through is if they go on near maximum sublight speed to try and get through before the Umiak can get to blockade position on the far end or they have to engage in a running battle with the Umiak fleet coming through the main jump gate - and it's a lot harder to flee from a running firefight.

And even for anyone making an immediate run for the jump point, they still have at least a minimally responsive blockade to run through that's going on automated systems, what few crew are functinoal, etc to harry them. That will make it rough for -anyone- trying to run. The intent seems to not be to completely block it off - just make it so that a fleet can't disengage and withdraw. I'm guessing going from one end of the system to the other, even at near maximum speed, takes longer htan the normal period for jump sickness.

It kind of reminds me tactically of Wing Commander.

novius

Post by novius »

Sweforce wrote:Just how severly are the umiak effected by jump sickness? Are they totally knocked out or are they still capable to perform basic ship functions while more or less severely nusiated? They may not be capable to fight a proper battle but maybe they are capable to give an on-board computer some basic orders.
The captain of the Clearbrook said it best - the Umiak themselves may suffer from jump sickness, but their torpedoes do not. That implies that the Umiak are still able to get their ships on course (and they do, as seen on the tactical overview) and send off a volley when needed.

novius

Post by novius »

Darroth wrote:So much for the theory of a mental attack.

Considering what characters get focused on in Insider, I predict Talon and Spiral (best girl) will get killed and Ashrain will save the main four. This will also give Alex a meeting with Greywind since Ashrain is related to her.
If you mean the cast of characters, Talon is listed. Spiral... is not. And given how little screen time she got, I do suspect that she would be the one buying the others time for their escape or act as a distraction.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

novius wrote:

Considering what characters get focused on in Insider, I predict Talon and Spiral (best girl) will get killed and Ashrain will save the main four. This will also give Alex a meeting with Greywind since Ashrain is related to her.
If you mean the cast of characters, Talon is listed. Spiral... is not. And given how little screen time she got, I do suspect that she would be the one buying the others time for their escape or act as a distraction.
RIP Spiral :cry: Make sure you pass on the knife before you go.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Arioch wrote:That's not quite what I said.
Crud, sorry. I'm guessing that even at 8 minutes, the Umiak aren't going to be out of their jump sickness, but still my bad.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

The resemblance to humanity is more than skin deep, we even cuss the same.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Page 103, Beryl (on the issue of a potential breakthrough): "But this is nothing for you to be concerned about. All will be well!"
Page 119, Beryl (on the Sala-128 attack): "Still, this is nothing that should concern us Captain Jardin, enemy attacks on the frontier are common.
Page 123, Talon (on the tactical display): "But there is not much to see. We are well behind the fighting line." and "Relays and depots are not so exciting, I think. We are going in the opposite direction from where the action is."

Page 131, all involved: "FFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...."

Very, very well played, Arioch.

Darroth

Post by Darroth »

novius wrote:

Talon doesn't have a GURPS and she isn't on the group picture on the main comic page

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

orion1836 wrote:Page 103, Beryl (on the issue of a potential breakthrough): "But this is nothing for you to be concerned about. All will be well!"
Page 119, Beryl (on the Sala-128 attack): "Still, this is nothing that should concern us Captain Jardin, enemy attacks on the frontier are common.
Page 123, Talon (on the tactical display): "But there is not much to see. We are well behind the fighting line." and "Relays and depots are not so exciting, I think. We are going in the opposite direction from where the action is."

Page 131, all involved: "FFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...."

Umiak: "Main characters have been detected in this area. Locate and eliminate them."

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Darroth wrote:
novius wrote:

Talon doesn't have a GURPS and she isn't on the group picture on the main comic page
Difficult to put her in picture when she's lodged in Jardin's pants.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

[
NOMAD wrote:Isn't their a Barsam or Neridi courier ships in system
I didn't see any non-loroi ships on the map, but considering the Barsam's reaction to Alex, they might be one of the only ships motivated enough to jump into the system to attempt a rescue. Although I suspect that it would require some highly unlikely circumstances for them to be in such a position in the first place.
True, but unless Highland-7 is going back on track (with rapidly emptying fuel tanks) our hero don't have many options . . . something Alex maybe able to do something about ;)

raistlin34 wrote:
orion1836 wrote:Page 103, Beryl (on the issue of a potential breakthrough): "But this is nothing for you to be concerned about. All will be well!"

Umiak: "Main characters have been detected in this area. Locate and eliminate them."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: funny Raistlin34 and orion1836
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

boldilocks wrote:
Difficult to put her in picture when she's lodged in Jardin's pants.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

boldilocks wrote:Difficult to put her in picture when she's lodged in Jardin's pants.
Just like in Mass Effect, where the key to saving the universe was found in your crewmembers pants. Well, at least that's where everyone looked first. And foremost.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Cthulhu wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Difficult to put her in picture when she's lodged in Jardin's pants.
Just like in Mass Effect, where the key to saving the universe was found in your crewmembers pants. Well, at least that's where everyone looked first. And foremost.
Well that all depends did you go with the T'Soni or Williams? If you went with T'soni then yeah its just like ME.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Well that all depends did you go with the T'Soni or Williams? If you went with T'soni then yeah its just like ME.
No love for Tally?