Page 126: Oh my~

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Page 126: Oh my~

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

From Beryl's perspective, I wonder if it must seem like Alex is sending her mixed signals. Happy to see her one minute, then reminding her of the unpleasant first meeting the next minute.

My official prediction is that Alex is going to treat holding Beryl steady as a sensible thing to do while under acceleration, given that there aren't any other available chairs in the command deck, regardless of what he's actually thinking privately; and that Beryl is going to continue getting indications that are simultaneously dismissive and friendly.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

inxsi wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.
If I channel paranoia around the Mizol, I'm not sure it still wasn't a ploy by Tempo to distract Alex from realizing how bad the situation is for the Loroi and how humanity should clearly join the Umiak. Beryl's extreme expression on the previous page was from Tempo mind-whammying (technical Mizol term) her to walk towards the cockpit, knowing that Tempo's direction to Talon to hit it would have knocked Beryl back onto Alex.

I might acknowledge that this may possibly be overly paranoid, but that might be what Tempo wants me to think :shock:
Implausible, and there are much simpler explanations like, for example, Beryl taking a few steps towards the cockpit following Talon and then simply loosing balance as Talon punches it unexpectedly.

Although the thought of Tempo taking control of Beryl to run some small dubious experiment of hers does have some appeal. In the same context, take a look at Tempo's glare at Beryl on Page 108 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider108.html when Beryl is about to spill some beans about the Mizols and she cuts her off. Then on Page 110 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider110.html we see Beryl sleeping tight as if knocked out. First thought I had back then was that Tempo had telepathically knocked Beryl out cold, and, to be honest, if I was in Tempo's place (a spy/intelligence officer with his own ideas on how to run things, what to say and what to not say, especially NOT telling Alex that I might be a spy) I would like to make sure my overly friendly, chatty and honest "colleague" doesn't unintentionally compromise me. I would like to believe that being true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Or, you know...

And bear with me here, this may be a crazy thought...

Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?

I know, I'm talking a huge load of bollocks that's liable to get Jossed so hard Mr. Whedon will show up to do a guest panel focused on someone's boots in short order.

But what if...?

Luge

Post by Luge »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?
Bring the straightjacket; we have a live one here.

A.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Or, you know...

And bear with me here, this may be a crazy thought...

Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?

I know, I'm talking a huge load of bollocks that's liable to get Jossed so hard Mr. Whedon will show up to do a guest panel focused on someone's boots in short order.

But what if...?
Calm down dear, no need to get heated over something like this.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Luge wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Perhaps both Beryl and Alex will treat the happenstance of Beryl falling into Alex's lap under sudden acceleration as an occurrence of combat maneuver, entirely devoid of sexual or intimate connotation, as if - and bear with me here, because this crazy talk I'm about to engage in - both of them are, in fact, reasonably practical, reasonably professional military personnel, and recognize that fact about each other?
Bring the straightjacket; we have a live one here.

A.
Sweet jesus. I've only heard about this kind of case in obscure theoretical works.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

It's a case of Chekhov's buttocks. I cheek shown in act 1 better be in someone's lap by act 3.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Turrosh Mak wrote:It's a case of Chekhov's buttocks. I cheek shown in act 1 better be in someone's lap by act 3.
Chekhov's buttocks... perfect. Write it into tvtropes!

Seriously though, nothing will probably come of it outside of light ship tease, but it's still fun to speculate.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Beryl is certainly professional, and shows an above average understanding of tact for a Loroi, but she does look like she's struggling to understand what is normal human behavior. I figure that this is, at very least, an opportunity to have more questions that she'll want answered eventually.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Beryl is certainly professional, and shows an above average understanding of tact for a Loroi, but she does look like she's struggling to understand what is normal human behavior. I figure that this is, at very least, an opportunity to have more questions that she'll want answered eventually.
Much later...

"Captain Jardin, you specifically stated earlier that 'Human males commonly go for extended periods without... mating encounters,' yet you were clearly aroused when I fell on you before. Are you sure you are well? I told you then to notify us before your health concerns became serious. Will accommodations need to be made?" :mrgreen:

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

orion1836 wrote:
icekatze wrote:hi hi

Much later...

"Captain Jardin, you specifically stated earlier that 'Human males commonly go for extended periods without... mating encounters,' yet you were clearly aroused when I fell on you before. Are you sure you are well? I told you then to notify us before your health concerns became serious. Will accommodations need to be made?" :mrgreen:
Considering Loroi typical tact, I can totally see Beryl asking that without any innuendo. :lol:

Jokes aside, I'm sure Jardin is too concerned with immediate survival to have any "physical reaction". As we would be in his place.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

raistlin34 wrote:
Considering Loroi typical tact, I can totally see Beryl asking that without any innuendo. :lol:

Jokes aside, I'm sure Jardin is too concerned with immediate survival to have any "physical reaction". As we would be in his place.
In my experience such physical reactions in men peak right after the danger has passed and since the lower head has a mind of its own...

Darroth

Post by Darroth »

entity2636 wrote:
inxsi wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.
If I channel paranoia around the Mizol, I'm not sure it still wasn't a ploy by Tempo to distract Alex from realizing how bad the situation is for the Loroi and how humanity should clearly join the Umiak. Beryl's extreme expression on the previous page was from Tempo mind-whammying (technical Mizol term) her to walk towards the cockpit, knowing that Tempo's direction to Talon to hit it would have knocked Beryl back onto Alex.

I might acknowledge that this may possibly be overly paranoid, but that might be what Tempo wants me to think :shock:
Implausible, and there are much simpler explanations like, for example, Beryl taking a few steps towards the cockpit following Talon and then simply loosing balance as Talon punches it unexpectedly.

Although the thought of Tempo taking control of Beryl to run some small dubious experiment of hers does have some appeal. In the same context, take a look at Tempo's glare at Beryl on Page 108 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider108.html when Beryl is about to spill some beans about the Mizols and she cuts her off. Then on Page 110 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider110.html we see Beryl sleeping tight as if knocked out. First thought I had back then was that Tempo had telepathically knocked Beryl out cold, and, to be honest, if I was in Tempo's place (a spy/intelligence officer with his own ideas on how to run things, what to say and what to not say, especially NOT telling Alex that I might be a spy) I would like to make sure my overly friendly, chatty and honest "colleague" doesn't unintentionally compromise me. I would like to believe that being true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that.
And then Tempo is suddenly tired on page 112 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider112.html. Tired from using her powers?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

It's not exactly clear to me if Beryl's falling backwards by accident, or if she's deliberately sitting in his lap as a safety precaution, I assume that could be something you'd do in an emergency?

Siber

Post by Siber »

And then Tempo is suddenly tired...
Well, she just got done explaining that everyone's been working hard after Beryl fell asleep. Occam's razor suggests she's just tired as hell generally and let the brave face drop when the alien wasn't looking her way.

I assume everyone's just being silly, but if they aren't... the chain of events is very long and requires knowing some probably unknowable things if Tempo is trying to orchestrate anything that's happening now. Xanatos himself would call BS.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

novius

Post by novius »

boldilocks wrote:It's not exactly clear to me if Beryl's falling backwards by accident, or if she's deliberately sitting in his lap as a safety precaution, I assume that could be something you'd do in an emergency?
Naaahh.... Beryl's expression is priceless, the right mixture between "whoa!" and "whoops".

By the looks of it, she's even more mindful where she puts her hands - or where she keeps them off from - than Alex himself would ever be.

Yes, I'd peg it to be accidental. And that would tell us that Beryl simply doesn't have the combat reflexes of longterm duty.

Though, makes me wonder if she would even be able to stand up again (even if she sat down voluntarily), even if she wishes so, especially under sustained acceleration. If not, both would have to grin and bear it. But I don't think Beryl would mind, once she gets past the initial embarassment.

And, Beryl has a too sunny disposition to milk that one for one-upping Talon, like "You just got a 'handshake', and I got all over him!" ... or would she? :)

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:
boldilocks wrote:It's not exactly clear to me if Beryl's falling backwards by accident, or if she's deliberately sitting in his lap as a safety precaution, I assume that could be something you'd do in an emergency?
Naaahh.... Beryl's expression is priceless, the right mixture between "whoa!" and "whoops".

By the looks of it, she's even more mindful where she puts her hands - or where she keeps them off from - than Alex himself would ever be.

Yes, I'd peg it to be accidental. And that would tell us that Beryl simply doesn't have the combat reflexes of longterm duty.

Though, makes me wonder if she would even be able to stand up again (even if she sat down voluntarily), even if she wishes so, especially under sustained acceleration. If not, both would have to grin and bear it. But I don't think Beryl would mind, once she gets past the initial embarassment.

And, Beryl has a too sunny disposition to milk that one for one-upping Talon, like "You just got a 'handshake', and I got all over him!" ... or would she? :)
Since Beryl is technically 14(?) & Alex is Idontknowhowold, he should probably treat her more like a daughter/child :mrgreen:

novius

Post by novius »

Arent wrote:Since Beryl is technically 14(?) & Alex is Idontknowhowold, he should probably treat her more like a daughter/child :mrgreen:
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Loroi do mature much faster, and even IRL it was just about two centuries ago that fourteen was not deemed too young to be married away, with all that entails.

Alex may have no idea how young she really is, but her rather carefree attitude and general demeanor might come across as a bit immature to him, especially compared to the other Loroi he met so far.

Though, Alex learning her true chronological age would put up a big "hands off!" sign in his head, despite him actually realizing that he would apply human standards to a nonhuman species, regardless how similar they look to humans.

In addition, it is Beryl's hidden insecurity that others may treat her like a child. She'd definitely not react favourably if Alex would see her as such.

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:
Arent wrote:Since Beryl is technically 14(?) & Alex is Idontknowhowold, he should probably treat her more like a daughter/child :mrgreen:
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Loroi do mature much faster, and even IRL it was just about two centuries ago that fourteen was not deemed too young to be married away, with all that entails.

Alex may have no idea how young she really is, but her rather carefree attitude and general demeanor might come across as a bit immature to him, especially compared to the other Loroi he met so far.

Though, Alex learning her true chronological age would put up a big "hands off!" sign in his head, despite him actually realizing that he would apply human standards to a nonhuman species, regardless how similar they look to humans.

In addition, it is Beryl's hidden insecurity that others may treat her like a child. She'd definitely not react favourably if Alex would see her as such.
It was just a joke. But I love your in-depth analysis.