Other comics and animations

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Other comics and animations

Post by bunnyboy »

I just watched first episode of Final Space.
From the first seconds I thought, "Hey, this is outsider animated."
After some minutes I changed my mind, but decided to keep watching it anyway.
Supporter of forum RPG

boldilocks

Re: Other comics and animations

Post by boldilocks »

Also looks like a sort of mashup of red dwarf, but with aliens.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I like the art style and the space opera aesthetic, but otherwise it's exactly what you'd expect. There seems to be some rule in SF comedy that the main character has to be a complete and utter moron.

The opening sequence in which the tow-headed hero finds himself drifting alone amidst the wreckage of his ship, losing oxygen from the leak in his suit, did get my attention, however. :D

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I live for the day where they will do comedy with smart banter and small but ridiculous solutions to seemingly difficult problems.

Yes I do hate the idiot main character trope for comedies.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Hey... "Orville"... anyone?!?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

In The Orville, it's really more of an ensemble cast than a show with a main character, but most of the characters are smart and capable, just not smart and capable at doing everything.

Also, in Red Dwarf, I would place Dave Lister as more of a lazy bum than a moron, since he shows he can be quite capable when need be.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Orville is less of a SF comedy/parody than it is a straight rip off of Star Trek: The Next Generation, in my opinion.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The Orville is a Star Trek series in all but name. Better than the mess that is STD (a very apt acronym).

Make it a multiverse spinoff or something and it is golden.

Siber

Post by Siber »

icekatze wrote:Also, in Red Dwarf, I would place Dave Lister as more of a lazy bum than a moron, since he shows he can be quite capable when need be.
Red Dwarf is always a bit flexible with continuity, some episodes portray Lister as having a deep well of potential if he just tried, and some show him as just unbelievably thick.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I know people out there that like Discovery, though it's not my cup of tea. That's fine, but I do wish they'd stop pulling my chain.

DS9 was the prototypical darker, edgier, and cynical take on Star Trek and the Federation. After that, they promised they were going to go back to their exploration roots with Enterprise, only to continue with more of the same dark, depressing themes. After Enterprise got canned, they promised again they were going back to their roots of exploring strange new worlds in a hopeful future with Discovery, and then they pulled the proverbial football away again at the last second. So from that perspective, I'm glad at least someone is doing what Trek used to do.

By comparison, I don't think I've ever seriously considered that Alexander Jardin might turn out to be the villain of the piece, in spite of Stillstorm's suspicions.
Siber wrote:Red Dwarf is always a bit flexible with continuity, some episodes portray Lister as having a deep well of potential if he just tried, and some show him as just unbelievably thick.
True enough. Still, you gotta admit the ol' backfiring time gauntlet trick was pretty clever.

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

Olan Rogers is the creator. He has a YouTube channel title olanrogers. I have been watching him for about 10 years now. He was also one of the guys onthe Youtube channel baloonshop. Good stuff, he has come along way.
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I like Olan's manic persona and knack for funny dialogue, and it does add an edge to Final Space's main character, but not enough to make me care whether he lives or dies.

The shorts on the YouTube channel look like they might be funny... I can see this style being more suited to <10 minutes shorts.