Arioch? What is the average Human lifespan in Outsider?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Durabys

Arioch? What is the average Human lifespan in Outsider?

Post by Durabys »

Lifespan growth in the last 160 years:

And this is the Biotech/Medical Science Humanity has as a Tech Level 9 race (source: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/tech_level.html) by GURPS standards:
Life Sciences[edit]
BIOLOGY: No information yet available.

MEDICINE: The medical arts reach new highs and life expectancy continues to grow in great bounds. Controlled surgical wards aided by precise robotic limbs make surgery more effective and safer than ever before. The first robo-docs are marvelous contraptions. Slow drugs, fast drugs, organ replacement, advanced metabolic pharmaceuticals, limb regeneration, and early cryogenics greatly expand the biological sciences.

AGRICULTURE: No information yet available.
SOURCE: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Processor_Epoch

QUESTION: What is the natural Human Lifespan in 2160 on Outsider Earth?

PS: I couldn't find 3E GURPS. But I asked on Reddit and they told me that 4E Tech level diverge mostly post 10th level. And that it mostly concerns anything but biotech and medical sciences anyway.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

elorran

Re: Arioch? What is the average Human lifespan in Outsider?

Post by elorran »

I believe in a topic here or on the old outsider forums it was mentioned that humans have gene replacement therapy that has allowed people from the twentieth century to possibly still be alive in outsiders era. Though I doubt most could afford the treatments going that far back.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Arioch? What is the average Human lifespan in Outsider?

Post by Arioch »

I guess that depends on what you mean by a "natural" human lifespan. Human longevity has varied greatly due mainly to environmental factors, without much or any biological change in humans themselves.

In the real world, I expect lifespan to increase dramatically as gene therapy comes into its own. This will probably be expensive enough that not everyone will be able to afford it, and the benefits may not evenly affect the entire population. So an average lifespan number might not be very meaningful. I expect this will also cause an increase in population beyond what is currently projected. Some take comfort in the fact that birth rates have begun to fall in many developed countries; I don't find this as comforting, especially when birth rates in undeveloped countries are still high, but even in developed countries populations will continue to rise, since old people won't be conveniently dying the way they're supposed to.

It's reasonable for humanity in Outsider to mirror this, but it doesn't really have an impact on the story.