Page: 118

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

D1ff3r3nt

Re: Page: 118

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

They just keep coming, I love it.

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

It is a very pretty page.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

That is quite the expanse of space between Naam and where he's gesturing at. Not sure what kind of range Loroi ships have, but I doubt he'll get to head home on the first vessel they send. Not before a replacement diplomat can be sent back at least. He's going to wind up being a novelty in some halls of Loroi government somewhere, and not an enduring one (to anyone save the listel designated to researching humanity) once he's made all the diplomatic agreements that matter.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

So now the question is why the Empty Quarter has its name and why no one has bothered to go there. Some sort of shared taboo, space horror, or simply lack of time and logistics?

Heh. It would be amusing if Human drive tech had a better jump range than the more advanced races, which ends up being part of why they managed to be overlooked until now.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Overkill Engine wrote:So now the question is why the Empty Quarter has its name and why no one has bothered to go there. Some sort of shared taboo, space horror, or simply lack of time and logistics?

Heh. It would be amusing if Human drive tech had a better jump range than the more advanced races, which ends up being part of why they managed to be overlooked until now.
The area in which humanity is located is called the 'Great Wastelands' because almost all of the systems there don't have any mineral riches or planets worthy of colonization. Simply put no one thought that anything of use would be found there and thus no one ever invested the resources necessary to explore and exploit the area.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

That definitely implies no one visited those systems in person "recently" and/or relied on some sort of long range scanning to make that determination, otherwise they should have at least picked up radio signals and other EM emissions that were not part of the normal stellar background noise. Which also begs the question of if their sensors/methodology was in error, or somehow interfered with.

Edit: Or merely went a few systems in, found nothing of note, said "screw it" and headed home I guess.
Last edited by Overkill Engine on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I guess this chapter solves the question about Jardin being forthcoming or not regarding Earth´s location to the Loroi.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Overkill Engine wrote:That definitely implies no one visited those systems in person "recently" and/or relied on some sort of long range scanning to make that determination, otherwise they should have at least picked up radio signals and other EM emissions that were not part of the normal stellar background noise. Which also begs the question of if their sensors/methodology was in error, or somehow interfered with.
At the ranges involved the background stellar noise is far greater that the diffused and unfocused EM emissions of humanity.

novius

Post by novius »

So, Alex indeed spills the beans about Earth's location... And it hints towards that the humans have much more detailed maps about that particular region of space than the Loroi. There's no shame in it - the Loroi didn't see practical reasons to venture out that far when there was more low hanging fruit to them when it comes to habitable or resource rich systems.

Yeah, for Beryl it must be very much a revelation. Beryl nerding out still remains adorable... :D

Flamberge

Post by Flamberge »

Wow, cool page. It occurs to me (and maybe someone else already said this first) that Humanity's star maps could be useful to the Loroi.
As others have pointed out taking a path through human space would lead an attacking fleet into the flank of the Umiak territory (in regards to were they think Loroi attacks will originate from). I would hazard a guess that in the world of Outsider stellar cartography would involve calculating the mass of each star. The FTL drives they all seem to use rely on calculating the relative gravitic strength of the departure and arrival stars and using the power of the FTL drive to make up the difference (or something like that).

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

I've been translating the map to english. For reference:
SpoilerShow
The text on the top of the map to the right of the speech bubble "Now, marked is our current position (...)" reads Doirar Bennel, meaning "Enemy Area".

On the panel where we can see their faces, the leftmost text reads Dirred Nonzirshrar, in english, "Great ???????????". As it was pointed by one of our fellows above, Earth resides within "The Great Wastelands". Guess we just learned a new word today, then!

I intend to go over all readable text and make an english version, but it will take me a little while.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Whale

Post by Whale »

novius wrote:So, Alex indeed spills the beans about Earth's location...
Preston Cole is displeased. :P

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

SpoilerShow
And such is the power of "too much free time"!

I tried my very best, but some of the text was completely illegible. On the same token, I'm very sorry if I give any of you eyestrain, I know it can be hard to read some of the text I wrote, but it was the best I could do within the purview of my limited photoshopping skills.

ERRATA: Where I wrote Azamol, it should read Azimol, obviously. This is a mistake I shouldn't have made... :?
Last edited by GabrielGABFonseca on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

dragoongfa wrote:The area in which humanity is located is called the 'Great Wastelands' because almost all of the systems there don't have any mineral riches or planets worthy of colonization.
I thought it was more a low stellar density region, so unsurveyed by the modern spacefaring races because of a paucity of potential routes and destinations.

The Loroi Union, the Historians and the Umiak being mostly in denser regions nearer the edge of the local bubble but not in the region where stars get too close and navigation becomes impossible.

GhostlyYorick

Post by GhostlyYorick »

I'm getting a little nervous for 'humaniti' here... Alex just giving up the position of our home base to a potential hostile power!? Wasn't he all about bargaining chips? I know that they promised to exchange information, but that is a real biggie...

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

GhostlyYorick wrote:I'm getting a little nervous for 'humaniti' here... Alex just giving up the position of our home base to a potential hostile power!? Wasn't he all about bargaining chips? I know that they promised to exchange information, but that is a real biggie...
I raised that point in Discord, the counter from Arioch was that Alex seeks to make friends of the Loroi, despite the horrible treatment he was subjected to this goal mandates that he shows a modicum of earnest desire to do so. Being secretive and trying to elude this most basic fact is counter to this goal. Furthermore the contact mission's goal was to establish contact, if humanity was to stay 'hidden' then they wouldn't have sent the scouts out to contact people. That would of course bring a bad end to the war with whatever that would mean to the hiding humans when the victor would discover them.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

First of all, I love the little "pin pin pin," console noises. I have no idea what they sound like in the author's mind, but I couldn't help but imagine the sound effects myself.

If I were Alex, I would be very worried that the route they took is one system away from Umiak space. (Looks like 4 jumps back.)

If I were Beryl or Talon, I would be at least a little bit apprehensive at seeing just how far the Umiak are expanding beyond their known space, if refugees fleeing the Umiak reached that area. And it looks like human territory is, maybe 4 or 5 times again more distant than the relay?

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

For now I'll just say that the last panel is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine how long that took.

So nice to see this comic updating regularly again - easily my favorite on the internet.

Taslios

Post by Taslios »

I just love how everyone is focusing on the Blue space elf Genocide and glossing over what was said in the comic..

"Empty Quarter"

NO one goes there..

Also... http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/image ... ropped.jpg and http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/image ... r_map1.jpg Label that as "the great wasteland"

Soooo my curious side wonders what all happened when the Soia Empire fell apart that "no one goes to the wasteland"....