Page: 118

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page: 118

Post by Arioch »

DavalKatro wrote:The existence of "sperm thieves" . Theft of male seminal fluid before ,during or after the act.
I am certain that this is tricky due to pedigree and family honor but I can see some loroi becoming desperate enough to try pregnancy via dubious means. Especially if having a particular biological sire being important to a female for some reason but is unavailable for political /social reasons.
There is strong social pressure to conform to society's norms. If you suddenly get pregnant, somebody is going to notice. It's a little bit like stealing a baby from the hospital; it's not something that's easy to get away with. And as for smuggling high-status males' sperm: the whole point of wanting a high-status father pedigree in your child is so that you can brag about it... if you do it covertly, it has to remain a secret.

Of course, evolutionary pressures being what they are, every population control system has to have some kind of enforcement mechanism. In most terrestrial animals with alphas or queens, I think the most common enforcement method is to kill the unauthorized offspring. I think that's a bit too draconian even for the Loroi, as children are a valuable commodity. I think on Deinar, if a Loroi were to somehow get herself pregnant without authorization, the authorities would let her have the child, but then take it away from her, and impose some kind of moderate sanction (which might include forced sterilization, especially for multiple offenses).

A Loroi who desires telepathic privacy could choose to go live amongst aliens.

Jayngfet

Post by Jayngfet »

To reopen a discussion from a few pages ago I don't think it's really a question of "Can Alex reveal the location of earth" but "was it appropriate right now".

Nobody asked him for it because it wouldn't really have been appropriate. It wasn't exactly pertinent to his situation since it was already obvious he wouldn't be going home any time soon and wouldn't really be useful to anyone onboard. It's the kind of thing you'd want to save for a different time and place for many, many reasons. This goes double for Alex since while we have Aurioch giving us information and context, our hero has no such luxury. The last page's discussion was full of discussion on weather or not the Loroi actions were justified in previous wars, but Alex doesn't have the actual story there. All he knows is that a third party said they did it, and what he's seen aboard the one ship he's been on, which torture aside kind of has that giant skull filled dedication to a war god. Not to mention the non Loroi on his other ship who gets cut off when he says the Loroi have been telling lies for thousands of years, and he's supposed to be on their side.

DavalKatro

Post by DavalKatro »

@ Arioch I suppose it could be argued that loroi in some isolated part of their empire could have the equivalent of an illegal /illegitimate child. However, it does not seem probable considering the points you raised.

@ boldilocks some one poured bleach into her eyes?!?! Reminds me of the guy who put a want add asking to be eaten. Yes, he wanted some one to eat him. Someone answered his add.....

@ Jayngfet

In the end: it all boils down to what Arioch decides is a good story. However: see below.

I think Tempo set Jardin up. I am certain other threads have covered this possibility in detail already and I do not need to elaborate. Tempo is a mizol. I am certain she is a master of "feints within feints within feints". She hedged her bets with that demonstration on the bridge of the tempest. She is the equivalent of an intelligence officer who has to determine if Jardin is an asset or a threat. I think Jardin has let his guard down because of the illusion of autonomy he has been given.

I also think that there is a room size psychic amplifier with operator waiting for another go at his "lotai" .

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

DavalKatro wrote:@ Arioch I suppose it could be argued that loroi in some isolated part of their empire could have the equivalent of an illegal /illegitimate child. However, it does not seem probable considering the points you raised.
Certainly, on the fringes of society where authority breaks down, anything is possible.

Jayngfet

Post by Jayngfet »

I'm not really seeing the illusion of autonomy is the distinction. Alex can move unrestrained, provided he goes where he is told and is accompanied at all times. There isn't even really a pretense to rely on at this stage.

Which is what the issue is. He hasn't really been given much in the way of indication that anything favorable can happen by being overly free with information.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Arioch wrote:Alex is now in charge of the diplomatic mission to the Loroi, but he's also without a ship or any way to contact home, and totally dependent on the goodwill of his captors. If he were to conclude that Loroi could not be trusted with the location of Earth, then the diplomatic mission has failed and his only recourse would be to commit suicide as quickly as possible. The higher he went up the diplomatic food chain, the more insulted the Loroi would be when he refused to answer the most basic questions about the nation he claimed to represent.
I wonder if the hypothetical scout ship Jardin is worried about contacting the Umiak, also did the same.

Granted unlikely, their circumstances not being identical, maybe.