New game, Children of a Dead Earth?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Nemo

New game, Children of a Dead Earth?

Post by Nemo »

Just saw this one, a new release on steam. Bills itself as a hard sci space combat game in the vein of KSP. Build your own ships, blow stuff up. Anyone here have yet? From what I'm reading its a bit more nitty gritty in that you aren't just slapping prefab weapons and reactors on the ship.

icekatze

Re: New game, Children of a Dead Earth?

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If I had money, I'd be buying Children of a Dead Earth, but food has to come first. The life of a freelance artist, I know... But still, it looks pretty interesting.

There are pre-fab options available, or so I've been told, but you can go deep into the nitty gritty and change all sorts of things about your ship's equipment, from projectile diameter and length, to the geometry of your engine bells.

What really is exciting for me is that they use an n-body simulator for orbital mechanics.

(I wonder how moddable it is. It would be really neat to have some outsider ships squaring off in a simulator.)

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Scott Manley had a review on it.

Honestly, looking at it I'm worried about replayability. Seems like that might be one of the wonderful toys that would wind up sitting on my shelf after about 3-4 hours.

Siber

Post by Siber »

As someone who has tinkered with setting up their own realscale, orbital mechanics centric wargame, seeing Children of a Dead Earth pop up was a bit bittersweet. Playing it has been an interesting experience, and very different from my own dream game. So far I'm still in the tutorials, and it's feeling a bit more like a puzzle game than a war game. Perhaps that'll change when more actors or more celestial bodies are in play.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod