Page 111 discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

peragrin

Re: Page 111 discussion

Post by peragrin »

Well maybe Alex can figure out how lost in space he really is.

:roll:

Twinkee

Post by Twinkee »

This came to mind

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I think Alex has some idea of roughly how lost in space he is. At least, he apparently has some understanding of how many times they've jumped, even if he has no idea of where.

Turning it around, this might be an opportunity for the Loroi to realize just how much the Umiak empire has expanded beyond their understanding. If the Terran colonies are so far away, and the Umiak are encroaching on them, that might give them some idea of how their own colonization and expansion plans are comparing.

Jack

Post by Jack »

The pilot looks exactly as it should look, having received orders to lead to the cockpit of gazers.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yay, more star maps to discuss possible directions, more locations,....

Whatever Alex learns may not be of much value (not being able to transmit the new knowledge to TCA-Authorities), but to the Loroi it may be of relevance.

How much does Alex know where the Orgus came from?
But then, may Alex even disclose the position of Earth and its colonies?
I suspect those are secrets to be kept until the diplomats have come to the conclusion that this will be the future ally and thus in need of the knowledge of Human starmaps and settlements.

And apparently another Loroi in need of getting used to having to use her mouth to transmit speech.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Krulle wrote:And apparently another Loroi in need of getting used to having to use her mouth to transmit speech.
Talon is a fighter pilot. She should be used to vocal (radio) communication in stressful circumstances, like in the midst of combat.

Something else, does she has some kind of wireless connection with the controls or is there a console in the passenger cabin to receive alarms from the autopilot?

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

I suspect as they are currently traveling in something roughly the size of a jumbo jet that Talon probably has a copilot.

After checking the Insider I see that a Highland has a crew of between 2 and 10 so it seems likely that includes two pilots.

Captain Smirk

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I wonder if the Loroi will realize, as they are disturbed in their inability to read Alex´s mind to check him out, the human may feel the same about the Loroi´s lack of facial expressiveness (specially because they look human enough).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Something else, does she has some kind of wireless connection with the controls or is there a console in the passenger cabin to receive alarms from the autopilot?
There's a copilot (Spiral) in there.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Yay for Talon!

Alex should know where the tanker is, so he'd be guiding them back to there where the tanker crew would take over the contact mission.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Something else, does she has some kind of wireless connection with the controls or is there a console in the passenger cabin to receive alarms from the autopilot?
There's a copilot (Spiral) in there.
Is Spiral the green-haired tenoin accompanying Talon on page 41?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

fredgiblet wrote:Alex should know where the tanker is, so he'd be guiding them back to there where the tanker crew would take over the contact mission.
They are flying into the wrong direction. The Loroi bring him to the sector capital to have higher ranking authorities decide and authorise such a "big mission".
To Alex the mission seems to be stranded.
See these two pages: 106, 107.

yes, Alex knows where the tanker is. But he also knows when the tanker will leave. And he knows of no alternative beyond travelling all the way, and it may be that he does not know the full way home to Earth (as a precaution against accidental disclosure of that position and thus allowing Earth to be attacked purposefully).
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Krulle wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:The Loroi bring him to the sector capital to have higher ranking authorities decide and authorise such a "big mission".
Infact, Parat Tempo takes him to another sector capital entirely. At least, I don't suppose "Leido Crossroads" is in the Seren sector, but still in Tinza.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

GeoModder wrote:Is Spiral the green-haired tenoin accompanying Talon on page 41?
Yeah. On the "Tempest", if my memory serves me, there are only two pilots for small crafts/fighters, Talon and Spiral.

By the way, their tattoos mean something, or is it just tradition/personal preference?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Is Spiral the green-haired tenoin accompanying Talon on page 41?
Yeah. On the "Tempest", if my memory serves me, there are only two pilots for small crafts/fighters, Talon and Spiral.

By the way, their tattoos mean something, or is it just tradition/personal preference?
Talon and Spiral were part of the same diral childhood training band (called the "High Tide Lowlives" (riibon timoir misit beda)) on Taben, and all the members got matching tattoos when they graduated. A new fighter squadron was formed (mostly from members of this band, including Talon and Spiral and the diral leader) and was deployed to Strike Group 51. Talon and Spiral are the last two surviving members of the original squadron, but they aren't the only pilots on Tempest; the rest are replacements or members of other squadrons.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

That's kind of sadly ironic. A tattoo that originally symbolize their togetherness in a group, eventually comes to symbolize their being alone and apart.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

While looking back at page 41, I noticed the blue circular sign. Does it have any significance?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

The top and bottom lines on that sign I can't make out, but the bottom says "SŞ" (presumably an initialism) and the yellow sign has either an I or more likely an A on it. Probably doesn't help, but meh. :P
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Turrosh Mak wrote:While looking back at page 41, I noticed the blue circular sign. Does it have any significance?
It's a corridor junction sign, with the alphanumeric designation of the junction, some information about the area, an atmospheric pressure gauge of what's on the other side of the door, and a notification of the ship's alert status. The text reads:

Junction ->
S-Sh
Danger: nazar detention area
*I
Yellow

I'm not sure what I meant by "nazar", as it's not in any of the notes I can find.