Outsider goes Big Screen

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Outsider goes Big Screen

Post by Trantor »

How about it?
Is there anything in the pipeline?

I could imagine animated Outsider with a "look and feel" like Appleseed.
(hope i don´t step on your toes, Arioch ;) )

Would that be possible?
sapere aude.

Grayhome

Re: Outsider goes Big Screen

Post by Grayhome »

I don't know... Outside draws from many other sources... might be a bit of a legal fiasco. It would be SO AWESOME though. I can soooo see a series with a follow up spin-off or two going though production. Outsider could easily be the next big thing to hit animated viewers since Avatar The Last Airbender.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think the Outsider story and visual design could certainly work as an animated series, either with traditional animation or stylized computer animation. I don't think Outsider's visual design would work very well in a live-action production without drastic toning-down. It is possible to successfully use dramatic "cartoonish" elements in live-action productions (Farscape and The Fifth Element come to mind), but it's usually a fine line between the fantastic and the absurd with this kind of style. "Space elves," after all.

I think that Outsider would have to be much farther along in its story (and generate several orders of magnitude more traffic) and have proved itself in print before it would attract the attention of major media outlets.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:I think that Outsider would have to be much farther along in its story (and generate several orders of magnitude more traffic) and have proved itself in print before it would attract the attention of major media outlets.
How about a more alternative approach? Maybe with a rendering engine?
Or sth. like how they made Starwreck? (Not with human actors, of course, i mean the rendering and the whole low-scale approach)

The Danger in "collaboration" with a major is that they like to overrule the original creator. That´d be deadly for this fine balanced piece of art.
sapere aude.

flarecde

Post by flarecde »

What the potentiality for reuse of the existing rendered environs? I think the style used in the comic translates pretty well to animation.
Reality is nothing, perception is everything.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I would like to attempt a 3DCG short someday, but I would chose a much less ambitious project than Outsider.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

flarecde wrote:What the potentiality for reuse of the existing rendered environs? I think the style used in the comic translates pretty well to animation.
That´s what i thought. The scenery is perfect already, and IMHO that´s a good portion of the effort.
There must be a way to include the actors. Is there sth like an animated version of "Poser"?
sapere aude.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Trantor wrote:
flarecde wrote:What the potentiality for reuse of the existing rendered environs? I think the style used in the comic translates pretty well to animation.
That´s what i thought. The scenery is perfect already, and IMHO that´s a good portion of the effort.
There must be a way to include the actors. Is there sth like an animated version of "Poser"?
That's a terrible way to describe it, but: http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Personally I'd much rather see the story finished in webcomic form before we start thinking about other media. Last thing we need is for Arioch to pull a Martin and take 3 years off of the comic to start working on an HBO series.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I can see it working as an anime.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

You could animate the battles fairly easily, but nailing the character bits in 3d/2d without a skilled team would be very time consuming.

To be honest I think this would work better as live action. Cheesy "we're aliens because our faces are superficially different" costumes have worked for Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape, Stargate, and other sci-fi productions, so there's no reason why space elves would be a deal breaker. Of course then you have to hire people and hope they can act at B movie level at least.

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

you know it would be intresting to hear what the characters sound like. for example I've always imagined Tempo with ether alto a Contralto voice ( apologies if these scales are only used for singing), well spoken, and sophisticated.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

I'd just be happy to see Outsider's story in full, whether in written form or not.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Voitan wrote:I'd just be happy to see Outsider's story in full, whether in written form or not.
I'd like to know how many chapters it's supposed to have in total.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

dfacto wrote:I'd like to know how many chapters it's supposed to have in total.
7 or 8 IIRC.
sapere aude.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

and an epilogue after too IIRC
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

Arioch wrote:I would like to attempt a 3DCG short someday, but I would chose a much less ambitious project than Outsider.
the story of tempest comes to mind.... "old stories"
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Codius_Dak wrote:
Arioch wrote:I would like to attempt a 3DCG short someday, but I would chose a much less ambitious project than Outsider.
the story of tempest comes to mind.... "old stories"
actually i see the "old stories" to be made like the homeword cutscenes bonus point if your able to fit the "Amigo of strings" in the animation, i so love the emotion that song carry in that "show" that is Homeworld saga

anyway i think this kind of animation combined with the "old story" could be acheivable gold. the whole outsider story may be a little too much for a first project but i fell the old story can be subdivided enough without loosing it sense to be simple enough to realize.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote: cutscenes[/url] bonus point if your able to fit the "Amigo of strings" in the animation, i so love the emotion that song carry in that "show" that is Homeworld saga

anyway i think this kind of animation combined with the "old story" could be acheivable gold. the whole outsider story may be a little too much for a first project but i fell the old story can be subdivided enough without loosing it sense to be simple enough to realize.
I could see a few homeworld eggs in the animation, another option might be a motion comic of the outsider prologue, much smaller and maybe easiler to do ( as a beginning)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Darth Cloaked Guy

Post by Darth Cloaked Guy »

I imagine this rendered something like Titan AE. Heck, Alex even looks a bit like Cale (mostly the hair).